Quantcast
Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mashburns

Point System Issues?

Recommended Posts


1 minute ago, badbird said:

Question if two teams tie for a district title does it go head to head or points?  I know it is points if 3 teams tie and they all beat each other.  

I'm not exactly sure i would hope head to head would be immediate tie breaker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

How do we know this won't fix the blowouts in playoffs until we test it out 

 

But truthfully What would help is taking teams like sta and AHP and others and put them in a open class like California 

 

Schools like them probably would be ok with being moved there so you put the national and state elites in 1 class and let everyone else fight it out in other classes 

You really want this open championship cause of 1 team in 7a lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zoe Boy said:

You really want this open championship cause of 1 team in 7a lol

You telling me you want them to stay in 7a where they have yet to face any team that can compete with them even though 5a, 6a and 8a would all have teams in their region who would contend better with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you determine open class?  What if STA didn't want to be in it? 

 

I think if you went open class you would have to do what Gatorman suggested and move people up and down based on performance.  That means top 90 or so teams would be in the top class and Columbia would probably be there.  Are you sure you are for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badbird said:

How would you determine open class?  What if STA didn't want to be in it? 

 

I think if you went open class you would have to do what Gatorman suggested and move people up and down based on performance.  That means top 90 or so teams would be in the top class and Columbia would probably be there.  Are you sure you are for it?

It not really a open class if your forced into it and i think 90 too many

 

I think in CA and other states that have the open class the teams request to join it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badbird said:

Question if two teams tie for a district title does it go head to head or points?  I know it is points if 3 teams tie and they all beat each other.  

Generally, it is hard for two teams to tie as one would have the head-to-head, which is the first factor.
So Team A beat Team B
Team A gets beat by Team C (who has several district losses). 

As for how I know it won't fix the problems of blowouts, go look at the state championships, over the half of the games were won by more than 2 scores. The same problem exists. Additionally, you are now putting a #1 seed vs a #8 seed in the first round. Before you could have had a #1 facing a #5, a #2 facing an #8, #3, playing a #4, and #5 vs #7. The scrambledness of the playoffs actually led to their being less blowouts in the early rounds. 

And again out of 192 teams that made the playoffs, how many teams are we saying truly didn't belong in the old system or wouldn't make it in the new system. I am willing to say it is probably less than 10%.
We were told we wanted all games to matter, but here is what happens, you now have two 3-6 squads finishing up unremarkable years, there will be coaches who aren't coaching either of those two teams who are rooting for one of them to go 4-6 so that they can get an extra 5 points. Talk about nonsense. I will continually say, I hate the idea that your playoff chances depends on something that you cannot control.

We were told that the new system would reward teams for playing a tough schedule (it does if they win), but look at Oakleaf (who was probably way overrated), Pahokee, and Miami Booker T Washington. All teams that might not make the playoffs due to scheduling good teams and doing what the FHSAA encouraged. I continually asked how does the old system punish you for playing tough schedule (nobody ever answered). 

We were told the worst part of the job for the FHSAA is trying to balance districts based on class size and geographical conditions. The FHSAA would receive hundreds of complaints about why certain teams were in specific district when they should be in another district. For example, wouldn't it have made more sense for Columbia to be in the Tallahassee district (with 3 teams) than the Jacksonville district (with 4 teams already).  The reality is the simplest thing to do was to eliminate one district in each region, allow 3 district champions and 5 wildcard or to eliminate one whole classification.  The simplest answer in all sports is to move teams up and down based on their competitive play. Go watch the basketball state championships, the top 2A and above can easily compete in 9A. Some 9A teams have no chance before the season begins. Some of you talk about the district championships are settled before the season begins by looking at the district, isn't this also true in every other sport? So why, not use a promotion/relegation system.

We were told there would be numerous "independent" teams that come back into the classification system if we changed our playoff system.  In the FHSAA's defense, this did happen about 35 teams went from independent to classifications (out of nearly 100). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Generally, it is hard for two teams to tie as one would have the head-to-head, which is the first factor.
So Team A beat Team B
Team A gets beat by Team C (who has several district losses). 

As for how I know it won't fix the problems of blowouts, go look at the state championships, over the half of the games were won by more than 2 scores. The same problem exists. Additionally, you are now putting a #1 seed vs a #8 seed in the first round. Before you could have had a #1 facing a #5, a #2 facing an #8, #3, playing a #4, and #5 vs #7. The scrambledness of the playoffs actually led to their being less blowouts in the early rounds. 

And again out of 192 teams that made the playoffs, how many teams are we saying truly didn't belong in the old system or wouldn't make it in the new system. I am willing to say it is probably less than 10%.
We were told we wanted all games to matter, but here is what happens, you now have two 3-6 squads finishing up unremarkable years, there will be coaches who aren't coaching either of those two teams who are rooting for one of them to go 4-6 so that they can get an extra 5 points. Talk about nonsense. I will continually say, I hate the idea that your playoff chances depends on something that you cannot control.

We were told that the new system would reward teams for playing a tough schedule (it does if they win), but look at Oakleaf (who was probably way overrated), Pahokee, and Miami Booker T Washington. All teams that might not make the playoffs due to scheduling good teams and doing what the FHSAA encouraged. I continually asked how does the old system punish you for playing tough schedule (nobody ever answered). 

We were told the worst part of the job for the FHSAA is trying to balance districts based on class size and geographical conditions. The FHSAA would receive hundreds of complaints about why certain teams were in specific district when they should be in another district. For example, wouldn't it have made more sense for Columbia to be in the Tallahassee district (with 3 teams) than the Jacksonville district (with 4 teams already).  The reality is the simplest thing to do was to eliminate one district in each region, allow 3 district champions and 5 wildcard or to eliminate one whole classification.  The simplest answer in all sports is to move teams up and down based on their competitive play. Go watch the basketball state championships, the top 2A and above can easily compete in 9A. Some 9A teams have no chance before the season begins. Some of you talk about the district championships are settled before the season begins by looking at the district, isn't this also true in every other sport? So why, not use a promotion/relegation system.

We were told there would be numerous "independent" teams that come back into the classification system if we changed our playoff system.  In the FHSAA's defense, this did happen about 35 teams went from independent to classifications (out of nearly 100). 

 

 

I wish we were in that district because we would win it because we already proven Lincoln ain't same team who used to hold us back in the early 00s

 

But problem is your system idea throws us in same class as every other elite

 

Just because we are good enough to get most out of our talent and make playoffs every year don't mean we should be thrown to wolves

 

 

And another thing 

 

Why were we moved up to 7a and ghs got to stay in 6a?

 

They in our district in every other sport so you would think they would be in same class as us but nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer cutting out a district in each region or eliminating a class over moving teams up and down based on competitive play.  Just my preference.  I think your idea is great to get competitive play and closer games if that's your goal.

The fhsaa should put out districts and not let you petition.  I have never seen a team petition to get into a harder district.  They always use the travel excuse to move into a weaker district or to move into something that is about the same but closer.         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

why were we moved up to 7a and ghs got to stay in 6a?

 

They in our district in every other sport so you would think they would be in same class as us but nope

looks like they have about 100 less students than you.  different cut offs for different sports because of the number of teams and classes are different in all sports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you are the winningest program in North Florida... that has to count for something... I get it, you don't think of CHS as an elite school. Got it. So stop the chest thumping about your program. 

As for GHS, they had 1816 on their student population report and CHS had 1932 (in 2016). And I believe the CHS was the smallest or 2nd smallest school in 7A when the classifications were announced. Almost every other sport has classifications up to 9A and more teams  playing the sport. Thus the small divide makes a big difference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

But you are the winningest program in North Florida... that has to count for something... I get it, you don't think of CHS as an elite school. Got it. So stop the chest thumping about your program. 

As for GHS, they had 1816 on their student population report and CHS had 1932 (in 2016). And I believe the CHS was the smallest or 2nd smallest school in 7A when the classifications were announced. Almost every other sport has classifications up to 9A and more teams  playing the sport. Thus the small divide makes a big difference.  

Being winningest program is a thing that shows consistency not being loaded with 20 D1 athletes a year 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

How do we know this won't fix the blowouts in playoffs until we test it out 

 

But truthfully What would help is taking teams like sta and AHP and others and put them in a open class like California 

 

Schools like them probably would be ok with being moved there so you put the national and state elites in 1 class and let everyone else fight it out in other classes 

Because you will never stop blowouts in the playoffs.  A very simple example of this is 2014 Port St Joe wins the 1A championship over Hamilton County they return in 2015 for the championship and get throttled 56-21 in the title game.  A defending state champ getting beat by 35,  would you say they didn't deserve to be there or is there just times that great teams come along and impose their will on everyone else.  There will be blowouts in the playoffs this year as there always has and always will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...