Whats the real solution to playoffs???

blackmagic

The goal was to get the best teams in. I dont think that will be accomplished this year. Call me bitter now that my team may be left out. But this week I see a team,in same class another region, we had running clock against has a good chance of getting in. Thats why Im hurt....lol....

We knew going into the season that 2 teams on our schedule would probably be category 4. We ended up with 7. We scheduled 3 playoff teams with 2 ended up being cat 2 and one a cat 4(game cancelled irma) ... Idk how you can guess how good other teams are going to schedule or be. Few of the teams fell victim to the transfer bug. We are probably gonna finish 7-2 with a overtime loss and a tough lost in last 20 seconds.

Whats the true solution? Since we got away with districts. Why not do away with regions?? Pick the best 16. 

3 minutes ago, Willie Stargell said:

Why not have a selection committee? The points will weight (and heavily, I’m sure) but a committee could try to make sure that anomalies like the one you mention are exceptions and not rules.

That may be subject to corruption or the appearance of such. Some teams would probably feel they were hosed by the powers on high!

Have to set your goals of the system before you can make the system:

Is it to ensure equity?
Is it to ensure equality?
Do we base our assumptions that classifications based on similar school size ensures equity and equality?
Are there any factors that can ensure equity/equality?
Is it to ensure all the above average teams make the playoffs?
It to ensure none of the below average teams make the playoffs?

Right now, we assume that school size ensures fairness. Our current system is designed to keep out below average teams out of the playoffs. We also assume that because similar size schools are in the same classification that those state championships are equal to each other because it means you are the best of a particular size of school.

+++++++++++++++

I think the easiest thing to do have done would have been to eliminate on classification and one district per region. Use district champions, runner-ups, and two wild cards. Determine the wild cards based on power points.
Power Points need to stretch more. I am not sure the exact numbers, but something along the lines of....

Cat 1 = 80 points or 35 points
Cat 2 = 60 points or 25 points
Cat 3 = 45 points or 20 points
Cat 4 = 35 points or 10 points

Bonus Points (previous 2 years):
2 Points for playoff qualification per year (so 2015 and 2016 playoffs equals 4 points)
2 Points for regional finalist per year (so 2015 and 2016 regional finalist equals another 4 points)
2 Points for state finalist per year (so 2015 and 2016 state finalist equals another 4 points)
So playing a back to back state finalist, earns you 12 additional points. Playing a state finalist adds 6 points.
+++++++++++++++++

Long term, we need to create a system of promotion/relegation. Good teams move up, bad teams move down. This would lessen the state championships of a lower class though.

39 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Why not go to an 8 game regular season and add 2 rounds to the playoffs that would give you 4 times as many teams in the playoffs and hardly anyone could be left out.  Sure there would be lots of  blowouts  but we will have most everyone in.

Dang, that’s crazy talk right there!!! But in all honesty, not a bad idea. Some folks may say making playoffs isn’t as distinguished if that was the new system, but wow, better go into the playoffs injury free and you might make a run! 

44 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Why not go to an 8 game regular season and add 2 rounds to the playoffs that would give you 4 times as many teams in the playoffs and hardly anyone could be left out.  Sure there would be lots of  blowouts  but we will have most everyone in.

Almost sounds sarcastic (hope it is. Lol) 

The way to fix it is to cut the classes by at least  3.  more realistically 4

Have 4 classes with 8 team districts and 4 teams from each district make it in. 

4 classes with 8 teams per district in 16 districts 

16x8= 128 teams per class 

128 x 4 classes = 512 teams 

there are about 560-570 teams right now. So that leaves about 50-60 as independents and Indy conferences like the SSAC. 

3 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

there are about 560-570 teams right now. So that leaves about 50-60 as independents and Indy conferences like the SSAC. 

Great idea too! Not going to lie, need to ease off the chicken wings and 12 oz coldies because all these ideas sound better than the current system. I know there were those anomalies from the prior system, but very few and far between did a 3-7, 2-8, or 1-9 team make the playoffs unless they were in a tiny district. Eliminate 3 team districts or even possibly 4 team districts and then you eliminate the 1-9, 2-8, or 3-7 playoff teams. Just a thought. 

7 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Its a little sarcastic.  My personal opinion is that we have too many teams that are not and will never be in contention for the playoffs much less a championship.  It is basically the same teams every year that are in the playoffs so why not create a champions league broken into classification by size and an open league classified the same way.  Have teams 1A- 5A champions league 1B-5B open league.  Teams can move up by finishing in the top of the open league or down by finishing in the bottom of the champions league.  Interleague play would be allowed during the regular season.

9 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That may be subject to corruption or the appearance of such. Some teams would probably feel they were hosed by the powers on high!

Understood. However, we do realize that every committee that exists within the FHSAA - from policy committees to individual sport committees to those formed of AD's - exists with certain representatives from member schools...right? We trust that representation can work...so the "appearance of corruption" is a non-issue. Such selection committees would be made up of new representatives from year-to-year. I'm not saying that a selection committee is an end-all answer - but I am saying that teams already feel "hosed" by the system, so that's not an argument against a committee.

9 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

But, if you cut the classes in half, you're going to wind up with an even greater discrepancy between the top and the bottom. For instance, where classes are grouped, on average, by about a 387 students per school difference now...a move to fewer classes would mean schools being grouped with others, more than twice their size. I don't think that's a move to generate a more fair system at all.

9 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The way you do classify them in the 4 classes is you take the 128 lowest enrolled schools and they are 1A

And so on until all 512 teams are in district. The districts can fluctuate as well. No lower than 7 teams, no higher than 9 teams. 

It's so easy that it would never happen!!

Then you could charge double at the gate so the FHSAA could get their split.

Remember the first rule, the FHSAA must make some money off these kids.

1 minute ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Then you could charge double at the gate so the FHSAA could get their split.

Remember the first rule, the FHSAA must make some money off these kids.

They charge double the gate a lot of teams will have empty stadiums

That's another disaster waiting to happen 

37 minutes ago, Willie Stargell said:

But, if you cut the classes in half, you're going to wind up with an even greater discrepancy between the top and the bottom. For instance, where classes are grouped, on average, by about a 387 students per school difference now...a move to fewer classes would mean schools being grouped with others, more than twice their size. I don't think that's a move to generate a more fair system at all.

The solution has to be a way to determine the results on the field. With earning points based on another team winning or losing is the problem. To many factors play into a team winning or losing. Injuries, Transfers, Suspensions, etc. Did Fort White play the same Union County that Hawthorne played with their RB out for one of the games? Did Vanguard and Columbia play the same Buchholz with their QB being out? Did South Sumter turn out to be the South Sumter teams thought they scheduled??? I'm with playing a shorter schedule and allowing more teams in. Maybe split up the regions evenly, have a regional tourney to determine top 4 in region. Then have committee seed with final 16 and play it out. For bigger classes maybe have 5 games or so then force district playoff. Best team in district would make it out. Then seed that final 16. Kind of like we do in basketball, baseball, all the other sports. We never question who is in and out in basketball because the results are handled on the court. I do understand football is a different animal but it may work better.

How about this:

within each classification:

16 districts - only the district champion advances...decided by regular season games within that district.

4 regions - where the 16 district champions compete.

Final Four.

Championship Game.

...what was wrong with that again? Other than there not being enough chance for everybody to win a trophy?