Whats the real solution to playoffs???

blackmagic

24 minutes ago, badbird said:

if you are a 1A team why should playing teams in a different class determine if you are in the 1A playoffs?

That would be like Valdosta State playing Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Ohio State and using those games to determine if they get into the D2 playoffs. 

So you hate idea that week 11 actually matters? 

37 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So you hate idea that week 11 actually matters? 

Why do you keep asking questions instead of answering them?  

but I will answer yours because usually when two people have a conversation you answer the question asked.  I could care less if week 11 counts.  I don't need every game to count towards the playoffs.  They usually count for the team playing them and most of the people in the game will remember it for a lifetime.  Some teams choose to have week 11 off to rest for the playoffs like DP this year.  Others schedule rivalry games week 11 like Boone vs Edgewater. Others don't have much tradition so they find whomever they can to fill out a schedule.  

1 hour ago, badbird said:

if you are a 1A team why should playing teams in a different class determine if you are in the 1A playoffs?

That would be like Valdosta State playing Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson and Ohio State and using those games to determine if they get into the D2 playoffs. 

So you are fine with teams with horrendous records making it into the playoffs?

2 hours ago, badbird said:

Its only 34 teams in 1A... 5A-8A have 32 team playoff... Let all 1A in and have a playoff that determines everything on the field. Make 2 regions. 1A north and 1A south, which would help some with travel. Use points for seeds. Play it out on the field. Doesnt make season longer or shorter. Same number of rounds as bigger classifications. Makes all 1A happy.. Think 2A, 3A and 4A have only around 40 teams... They can do it also.

15 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

Its only 34 teams in 1A... 5A-8A have 32 team playoff... Let all 1A in and have a playoff that determines everything on the field. Make 2 regions. 1A north and 1A south, which would help some with travel. Use points for seeds. Play it out on the field. Doesnt make season longer or shorter. Same number of rounds as bigger classifications. Makes all 1A happy.. Think 2A, 3A and 4A have only around 40 teams... They can do it also.

And basically all they have to do is cut out the teams 33 and lower 

1 hour ago, Cocoa2010 said:

So you are fine with teams with horrendous records making it into the playoffs?

Lincoln is going to make it at 3-7 this year.  In the new system really really bad teams are going to make it because they played no one.  Also it is possible to go 0-10 in the new system with the right schedule and make it so i'm not sure what your argument is.  Creekside would have made it last year at 0-9 in this new system.  If districts had 7-8 teams  then most likely teams with bad records wouldn't make it.  

3 minutes ago, badbird said:

Lincoln is going to make it at 3-7 this year.  In the new system really really bad teams are going to make it because they played no one.  Also it is possible to go 0-10 in the new system with the right schedule and make it so i'm not sure what your argument is.  Creekside would have made it last year at 0-9 in this new system.  If districts had 7-8 teams  then most likely teams with bad records wouldn't make it.  

They didn't make it in that projection with the updated numbers, those were the first numbers released which is why they changed it

And Lincoln makes it in old system and would host every round, maybe they should move Leon and chiles down a class and put Lincoln in district 2

There problem solved 

The argument that every games matters now could only be made by someone who hasn't played.  Every game matters to these kids.  They bust their ass all summer then 3+ hours every day after school in the rain, in the heat,  all the while being yelled at and having their manhood challenged daily.  They sacrifice their bodies literally risking life and limb to win for their school and if by chance they lose they catch hell not only from their coaches but from classmates and people around town.  They have to go in on Saturday to see the trainer and watch film and after Sunday off they wake up Monday to do it all over again.  So please stop acting like every game doesn't matter because they matter to the players more than you could comprehend.

5 minutes ago, badbird said:

you still haven't answered the question.  

Moving them all out of the district doesn't solve the problem.  Now you only have 3 districts in that region.  Problem not solve.  Plus you have a few other districts with 3 teams

Well sounds like no system will work until districts are fixed then

Either way i still like the seeding done currently and that should stay as well as wild cards replacing the runner ups

7 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

The argument that every games matters now could only be made by someone who hasn't played.  Every game matters to these kids.  They bust their ass all summer then 3+ hours every day after school in the rain, in the heat,  all the while being yelled at and having their manhood challenged daily.  They sacrifice their bodies literally risking life and limb to win for their school and if by chance they lose they catch hell not only from their coaches but from classmates and people around town.  They have to go in on Saturday to see the trainer and watch film and after Sunday off they wake up Monday to do it all over again.  So please stop acting like every game doesn't matter because they matter to the players more than you could comprehend.

I think I came across the wrong idea with my point 

Yes the games matter but before only some games counted towards the playoff situation of the team

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I think I came across the wrong idea with my point 

Yes the games matter but before only some games counted towards the playoff situation of the team

I'm not singling you out my comments are more towards the brain trust at FHSAA  that are trying fix something that wasn't broken.  First you try to tweak what you have.  They should never have totally changed the system like they did and then make it different for 1-4 A than it is for 5-8A.  Ludicrous. 

Just now, badbird said:

you still haven't answered this question.  Let me try again.

The same reason games outside your division count towards the playoffs in NFL 

Every game matters, if you make every game count towards the playoffs you will get the best every week

If you are in week 11 in old system you would heavily consider resting starters but on new system you have to keep going because you don't want to risk missing playoffs 

2 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

I'm not singling you out my comments are more towards the brain trust at FHSAA  that are trying fix something that wasn't broken.  First you try to tweak what you have.  They should never have totally changed the system like they did and then make it different for 1-4 A than it is for 5-8A.  Ludicrous. 

Well it was gonna be the way it is in 1-4a in every class but 5-8a fought it so they kept districts, from what I've heard 1-4a voted majority to have no districts,  had they fought it like 5-8a did they would have gotten to do same thing 5-8a got

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The same reason games outside your division count towards the playoffs in NFL 

Every game matters, if you make every game count towards the playoffs you will get the best every week

If you are in week 11 in old system you would heavily consider resting starters but on new system you have to keep going because you don't want to risk missing playoffs 

you got to be fricken kidding me.   Comparing a NFL team to another NFL team is not the same as comparing PK Young to Columbia.  I'm done talking with you on this subject.  Also not all teams have a shot week 11 so your argument is pointless they will give their best.  So don't comment to pad your post count.

11 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well it was gonna be the way it is in 1-4a in every class but 5-8a fought it so they kept districts, from what I've heard 1-4a voted majority to have no districts,  had they fought it like 5-8a did they would have gotten to do same thing 5-8a got

The coaches and admin I have talked with didn't want the new system and wanted to at least be the same as the bigger classes but were ignored.  It was just easier for FHSAA to experiment with the smaller classes because they don.t give a damn about them.  

24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Not sure but dont think 1A ever had more than 16 playoff teams since they broke up the class and made 1A and 1B a while back. 

4 minutes ago, Cocoa2010 said:

Dont really know why people are complaining about teams being incentivized to play tougher schedules and give everyone better games. Guess everyone wouldnt want Cocoa vs Pahokee or Cocoa vs TCA but rather get Cocoa vs Cocoa Beach and Cocoa vs P.K. Yonge.

The complaints aren't that teams are playing tougher schedules it is that teams aren't rewarded for playing tougher schedules.  Cocoa (4A)is an great team  but if you play them you are going to lose and get 33 points so a team is better off to play someone like Rutherford(4A) that you can beat and pick up 38 points.  

6 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Think about how silly that actually sounds for a second... 

Bolles is a playing a team not in their district to determine if they are district champion. That is the equivalent of Georgia playing Georgia Tech to determine if Georgia is going to be SEC East Division champion. A district championship should be settled on the field, the point system does the opposite. It is a system that can be easily manipulated by a savy coach. It also puts school district policies into question in terms of fairness. Many of the large urban school districts do allow teams to play out of county (other than district games). It is one of the reasons you rarely see a Duval Public School team traveling anywhere. 

Were there problems with the old system? Sure, we have discussed them ad nauseam, but those same flaws still exist in the point system. You complained about poor teams making the playoffs and how this new system fixes that. Really? How many wins does Lincoln have? Could it be the result of the 3 team district that exists? Again, your new system did nothing to change this.

The old system was fine, but having district of 8 teams leads to tremendous travel concerns, especially for anyone North of Orlando or not on the coast. 

I heard American Heritage playoff chances will come down to a team that they don't have in their class in St. Andrews. Just wondering if that's a clear fact because if it is then that would show one flaw in this new playoff system.

13 minutes ago, Cocoa2010 said:

Dont really know why people are complaining about teams being incentivized to play tougher schedules and give everyone better games. Guess everyone wouldnt want Cocoa vs Pahokee or Cocoa vs TCA but rather get Cocoa vs Cocoa Beach and Cocoa vs P.K. Yonge.

Pahokee is not the juggernaut that they once were, and it clearly showed with Cocoa pounding them 45-0. Perhaps Cocoa vs. Central Miami or American Heritage-Plantation would be a better matchup.

The same juggernaut/perennial playoff contenders are still making it regardless of whatever system it is whether it's new or old. The new system isn't hurting teams like the STAs, AHPs, Manatee, Plant, Armwood, Apopka, Cocoa, Northwestern/Central, or Bolles/Lakeland. Only Booker T is the only real juggernaut that got the bad end of this, but they're in rebuilding mode for now.