Whats the real solution to playoffs???

blackmagic

41 minutes ago, Willie Stargell said:

Seriously? Again? Just because a team wins in November doesn’t mean they were better in September and the other team just “got lucky” either.

You’re just being silly.

But you said it should be judged based on who was better for entire season so how can we assume they better for THE ENTIRE SEASON just because they got one win in September? 

42 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

One Team might be better first few weeks then by mid season they aren't 

If you judge a team by 1 game in September you aren't guaranteed to have the best team, only who was best in September and the goal is to see who best for the entire season not one game in September 

ColumbiaFan,

Your rationale doesn't make sense. If it is only one game in September, why is it not just one game in November that you were than someone else. One of the worst aspects of college football and basketball playoffs is that they want teams that have gotten better as the season has progressed or are "hot" now. What that does and what you are doing is devaluing a game in early in the season. 

Willie's argument is that regular season determines who gets into the post-season. If I beat you in the regular season and go 10-0 and you go 9-1, I am better thus why I make the playoffs and you don't. If you don't win, you don't get in. 
-----

Willie,
I know my thinking is pie in the sky. I know that only about 20 teams at max would want to be a classification such as that as they know that the likelyhood of becoming a state champion decreases dramatically. They have no incentive to do it and it will take a person with much deeper pockets than mine to make it happen.

I remember watching Frank Beasley's presentation about changing to the points system and one of the things that I remember is that he said is the thing that he hated the most was after re-districting was done. He would get hundreds of e-mails about changing districts in some way. The reality is that many of the teams were running from some "elite/cheating/always good" teams. My point in putting 64 teams out there is to remove those teams that people run from. Are there still good teams that weren't on the list? Yep, Bishop Moore comes to mind, Vanguard, Bartram Trail, but I think people would feel more comfortable knowing that they have a chance to win. 
While football has the same teams it seems always dominating, go look at sports like volleyball, softball, baseball, and soccer as well. You see even less diversity in state championship caliber teams. Imagine if we did this for all sports. I am not against blowouts as I have been on both sides, but blowouts are not fun for the kids, coaches, or parents. I want games to be competitive and I think anything we can do that ensures competitiveness on the field is a step in the right direction. 

If your team can barely dribble down the court, I don't want you playing the Harlem Globetrotters.  

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

ColumbiaFan,

Your rationale doesn't make sense. If it is only one game in September, why is it not just one game in November that you were than someone else. One of the worst aspects of college football and basketball playoffs is that they want teams that have gotten better as the season has progressed or are "hot" now. What that does and what you are doing is devaluing a game in early in the season. 

Willie's argument is that regular season determines who gets into the post-season. If I beat you in the regular season and go 10-0 and you go 9-1, I am better thus why I make the playoffs and you don't. If you don't win, you don't get in. 
-----

Willie,
I know my thinking is pie in the sky. I know that only about 20 teams at max would want to be a classification such as that as they know that the likelyhood of becoming a state champion decreases dramatically. They have no incentive to do it and it will take a person with much deeper pockets than mine to make it happen.

I remember watching Frank Beasley's presentation about changing to the points system and one of the things that I remember is that he said is the thing that he hated the most was after re-districting was done. He would get hundreds of e-mails about changing districts in some way. The reality is that many of the teams were running from some "elite/cheating/always good" teams. My point in putting 64 teams out there is to remove those teams that people run from. Are there still good teams that weren't on the list? Yep, Bishop Moore comes to mind, Vanguard, Bartram Trail, but I think people would feel more comfortable knowing that they have a chance to win. 
While football has the same teams it seems always dominating, go look at sports like volleyball, softball, baseball, and soccer as well. You see even less diversity in state championship caliber teams. Imagine if we did this for all sports. I am not against blowouts as I have been on both sides, but blowouts are not fun for the kids, coaches, or parents. I want games to be competitive and I think anything we can do that ensures competitiveness on the field is a step in the right direction. 

If your team can barely dribble down the court, I don't want you playing the Harlem Globetrotters.  

Ok so the moment a team takes a single loss they should just quit bc what does 9-1 mean to anyone if you aren't ln playoffs anyway 

And how does the idea of a team getting better as the season progresses not make sense? 

So you telling me EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the state and the nation is at their best potential for entire season week 1? Then why bother practicing if no one will get even a sniff better from it? 

7 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

ColumbiaFan,

-----

Willie,

No diversity? 

Our softball beat the 2 state champs last year with combined record of 4-2 in 6 matchups with those 2 teams in total including 3-1 against Gainesville 

I will say this, overall baseball and softball have better teams in north Florida then South Florida 

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Ok so the moment a team takes a single loss they should just quit bc what does 9-1 mean to anyone if you aren't ln playoffs anyway 

And how does the idea of a team getting better as the season progresses not make sense? 

So you telling me EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the state and the nation is at their best potential for entire season week 1? Then why bother practicing if no one will get even a sniff better from it? 

Teams don't always get better sometimes there are injuries and sometimes after report cards there are great athletes that are academically ineligible.  So a loss in September is the same as a loss in November.  

2 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Teams don't always get better sometimes there are injuries and sometimes after report cards there are great athletes that are academically ineligible.  So a loss in September is the same as a loss in November.  

I'm starting to see why i liking spring sports more and more 

Those district tournaments are genius ideas, if only we could do that for football 

I know we all like to talk about the playoffs but the truth is that is not what high school football is about.  The playoffs and championships are great but only 8 teams a year are gonna win it all less than half are in the playoffs.  I have had the joy of seeing my son in the playoffs and even the championship game and how special of a ride that can be but a kid on a 3-7 team scoring the game winner as time expires against his teams biggest rival is what its all about.  The pressure on players of winning programs is tremendous anything less than a state title is a disappointment and everyone lets them know from coaches, fellow students, and the community.  Sometime I wish the love of the game and giving all you have would be enough to make everyone happy.  Playoffs and championships will work themselves out they always do the best team wins and we can all argue how it could have been different if team x or y had been in there.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But you said it should be judged based on who was better for entire season so how can we assume they better for THE ENTIRE SEASON just because they got one win in September? 

Because...(inhale)....September...(exhale and wipe drool off)...is...(inhale)...part...(exhale)...of...the...(inhale)...SEASON!!!!!!!

you are the one wanting to abolish part of the season from consideration...NOT ME!

Dear Lord Jesus, please grant him the ability to comprehend this time. Amen.

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

He would get hundreds of e-mails about changing districts in some way. The reality is that many of the teams were running from some "elite/cheating/always good" teams. 

pussification of America.  A bunch of scared pussies which is why we have no districts now 1-4A

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm starting to see why i liking spring sports more and more 

Those district tournaments are genius ideas, if only we could do that for football 

but you don't like a shootout which is basically a playoff for the 3 teams tied.  Do you really know what you like?

13 minutes ago, Willie Stargell said:

Because...(inhale)....September...(exhale and wipe drool off)...is...(inhale)...part...(exhale)...of...the...(inhale)...SEASON!!!!!!!

you are the one wanting to abolish part of the season from consideration...NOT ME!

Dear Lord Jesus, please grant him the ability to comprehend this time. Amen.

But 

September

Is

Not 

The

Only

Part

Of 

The 

Season

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Bc shootouts are a quarter not a entire game

If shootouts played 4 quarters i would like them 

they already played the entire game during the regular season.  If two teams end up tied do they start the game over?  It is basically over time for those three schools.  Much better way to determine it than flip a coin or some random point system.  I guess you prefer the random thing

6 minutes ago, stoner77 said:

Columbia guy...did you play football at CHS? If you did..did you play for Brian, Craig, or DG?

I didn't play but i volunteered out there past 3 years 

I don't volunteer out there anymore, well not directly,  i was streaming there games but i was tired of jumping through hoops to help them when I was not feeling it was something that was desired so I'll stick to streaming other sports 

50 minutes ago, badbird said:

they already played the entire game during the regular season.  If two teams end up tied do they start the game over?  It is basically over time for those three schools.  Much better way to determine it than flip a coin or some random point system.  I guess you prefer the random thing

Agree. You wouldn't stop a tied game at the end of regulation and determine the winner by the strength of their schedule. You play overtime until there is a winner. Some teams may be better at the beginning of the game than at the end. regardless, you settle it on the field, not in a spreadsheet.

Case in point: Last year, Lakeland was a very slow starter all season. In the district tiebreaker, they had one quarter to win the district or face the possibility of being eliminated. They came out and played one of their best quarters of the season.

If you can't get up for a single quarter to get your team in the state playoffs, you shouldn't be there.

49 minutes ago, badbird said:

Volleyball, soccer, basketball, baseball and softball all play district opponents twice then play full games in district tournaments

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Volleyball, soccer, basketball, baseball and softball all play district opponents twice then play full games in district tournaments

Those are different sports that have a much different schedule structure. You can play multiple volleyball & baseball games in a single day (see tournaments), but you wouldn't do that with football.

It's the traditional way that those sports and their playoffs have been structured.

2 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

Those are different sports that have a much different schedule structure. You can play multiple volleyball & baseball games in a single day (see tournaments), but you wouldn't do that with football.

It's the traditional way that those sports and their playoffs have been structured.

Ik I'm just saying those sports way of determining districts are really good but unfortunately can't do it with football