biggest surprise/disappointments of 2017

DisabledAccount

The Good

In Broward, I would say West Broward is the biggest surprise.  I knew West Broward would be improved and might compete for the 7A playoffs,  but they have really stepped on the gas late season and I believe they may see the second round.  Runner up for the biggest surprise would be Nova to me.

Performed as I expected or better:  American Heritage Plantation, Cardinal Gibbons, Miramar,  Deerfield Beach, Plantation, Western, Chaminade-Madonna, University School, Dillard

Down year but held their own:  Archbishop McCarthy, Calvary Christian, Stoneman Douglas

All over the place:  South Broward, Coconut Creek, Monarch, Stranahan, North Broward Prep,  Cooper City

The Bad

Blanche Ely....Where do I begin.  I confess, pre-season I had Ely cracking the top ten, by week 4 or so I had doubt things were going to turn for the better.  Ely's offense was anemic this year in every game and the defense was blasted by playoff caliber teams.  Ely scheduled heavy this year and went 2-2 in their only winnable games on the season. Losing to Stranahan and Coconut Creek and defeating Fort Lauderdale and Boyd Anderson.  It should be noted that several players left Ely over the summer to DFB and  I believe their top WR went to Chaminade-Madonna.  Any way you cut it, Ely was outclassed by playoff caliber teams.   As good as this team appeared to be in the spring, they were could deliver close to as advertised and may not even be on par with a few 2-3 Ely teams in recent years....

St. Thomas Aquinas relatively speaking have been down but this is zero surprise to me.  The overall talent on this years roster is nothing close to the last few years.  I still favor them to win states but 2-3 games could be a  rocky road.

Other teams that have been at least solid in recent years but need to seriously regroup:  Hallandale, Flanagan, Piper, Boyd Anderson,  McArthur.  None of these teams records this year are a surprise to me so not really gong to discredit their seasons.

18 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

The Good

In Broward, I would say West Broward is the biggest surprise.  I knew West Broward would be improved and might compete for the 7A playoffs,  but they have really stepped on the gas late season and I believe they may see the second round.  Runner up for the biggest surprise would be Nova to me.

Performed as I expected or better:  American Heritage Plantation, Cardinal Gibbons, Miramar,  Deerfield Beach, Plantation, Western, Chaminade-Madonna, University School, Dillard

Down year but held their own:  Archbishop McCarthy, Calvary Christian, Stoneman Douglas

All over the place:  South Broward, Coconut Creek, Monarch, Stranahan, North Broward Prep,  Cooper City

The Bad

Blanche Ely....Where do I begin.  I confess, pre-season I had Ely cracking the top ten, by week 4 or so I had doubt things were going to turn for the better.  Ely's offense was anemic this year in every game and the defense was blasted by playoff caliber teams.  Ely scheduled heavy this year and went 2-2 in their only winnable games on the season. Losing to Stranahan and Coconut Creek and defeating Fort Lauderdale and Boyd Anderson.  It should be noted that several players left Ely over the summer to DFB and  I believe their top WR went to Chaminade-Madonna.  Any way you cut it, Ely was outclassed by playoff caliber teams.   As good as this team appeared to be in the spring, they were could deliver close to as advertised and may not even be on par with a few 2-3 Ely teams in recent years....

St. Thomas Aquinas relatively speaking have been down but this is zero surprise to me.  The overall talent on this years roster is nothing close to the last few years.  I still favor them to win states but 2-3 games could be a  rocky road.

Other teams that have been at least solid in recent years but need to seriously regroup:  Hallandale, Flanagan, Piper, Boyd Anderson,  McArthur.  None of these teams records this year are a surprise to me so not really gong to discredit their seasons.

Is sta expected to rebound next year or stay about same level? 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Is sta expected to rebound next year or stay about same level? 

Extremely hard to predict but we are only through the regular season.  Talk to me Summer 2018 on that one ;-)

Could they be challenged in the playoffs?

Absolutely..but don't be surprised if they go on  a tear to Orlando as others have mentioned.  They may see a fundamentally better team but they probably won't see a team as athletic as Miramar again this year.

I also think North Miami is a good surprise in Dade. Not just that they won district and beat NMB, but how they beat NMB (dominated).

Braddock had a nice season. Weak schedule yes, but 9 points away from that 8th seed in the playoffs.

Monsignor Pace had a nice rebound season as well.

South Miami went from way under .500 the last few years to a playoff berth.

I think Goleman disappointed. 4-5 record and 3 of the losses were by a combined 11 points. Beat South Miami, and if those 3 close losses turned to wins, they're a playoff team.

In Marion County the biggest surprises were:

North Marion Colts

Once a vaunted 5A team has fallen quite a way. Since HC Stephen Field left after the 2015 season when the Colts went 10-2, they have since gone 4-5 in 2016 and 3-7 this season. They have practically no Seniors on the 2017 team.

Trinity Catholic Celtics

So much promise with a Senior laden team, one of the largest OL's in Florida, and a new OC who won championships with previously coached teams, still could not get it done. Lost first 3 games with practically no offensive output. Won the last 6 by the skin of their teeth. Still not in the playoffs.

Lake Weir

A perennial bottom dweller went 6-5 this season in the very tough 6A classification.They defeated some good teams and lost a couple of close ones to better teams.  New HC Will Dettor, who is experienced in turning teams around, has this Hurricanes team pointed in the right direction.