Point system opinions based on final release

badbird

call Coach Harris and ask him how many people said no when they tried to schedule them.  heck ask Coach Wilkinson how hard it was to find a schedule and how many said no.  The only people in your county that will play you is Viera and Rockledge.  The rest are scared.  Sorry for being a dick but it was more a smart ass comment

50 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Franklin is 6-4 but a weak schedule Jeffco played a tougher schedule but has only 1 quality win against John Paul who hasn't played anybody.  But the argument I kept heading was this whole thing was to stop team's with losing records from getting in. I personally think Franklin would beat Jeffco.  Also a pretty reliable source told me this morning that Jeffco may forfeit against blountstown.

Jefferson is pretty bad...especially with the players missing from the fight they had at their school.  For the most part we played our JV against them this past Friday...just trying to get through the game without getting anyone hurt.  I still don't understand why we're(Wakulla) playing them in the first place.  I watched Franklin Thursday night and they're not very good either.  The coaches are Franklin are doing an amazing job to get wins there...

4 hours ago, badbird said:

Cocoa2010 I have no team in the hunt.  I use to coach and right now I  enjoy going to games and spending time watching my 4 boys grow up.   I won't lose one ounce of sleep knowing BTW is not in the playoffs. I just want what is right for the kids and the best system.  If Cocoa lost to Viera (OT), Bartram Trail (not close but they are a good team in 7A and #1 seed), Trinity Christian (close) and Rockledge and you were at home watching Cocoa Beach get in how would you feel?

Cocoa would still have been in even with those losses.

4 hours ago, badbird said:

1. I know but I have been one of the biggest supporters of BTW getting shafted.  Not that I really support them I really could care less if they win another game ever lol

2. Maybe in that region but not in some.  The 4th team is so so so so so so so so bad.

3. Well you might not be crying but 95% of Cocoa fans would be.

There is no system where BTW does not make playoffs....except this one

4 hours ago, TRAJAN01 said:

Jefferson is pretty bad...especially with the players missing from the fight they had at their school.  For the most part we played our JV against them this past Friday...just trying to get through the game without getting anyone hurt.  I still don't understand why we're(Wakulla) playing them in the first place.  I watched Franklin Thursday night and they're not very good either.  The coaches are Franklin are doing an amazing job to get wins there...

Yes I agree.  I think Jefferson has more talent but I think Franklin would out coach them.  I really think if they have to forfeit that Franklin should take their spot.  I would also love to see the final points and see how close everything was.

16 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

hey I'm not saying BTW being out is a good thing I'm just saying who of those 4 didn't earn a playoff spot

sure BTW is talented but can you honestly tell me those 4 don't deserve it

let say hypothetically BTW was in playoffs in a different region

would those 4 being in be 4 teams deserving of it?

I️ would just say this pertaining BTW.. Do they deserve to be in it yes. Why? Cause nobody else in 4a , maybe Edison played a schedule like BTW... Yes I understand BTW can bang with teams that in other higher districts and it showed when they lost to Central, Da West , Columbus by a combine 11 points but if other teams can basically schedule games  and don’t have to play booker t to battle it out kinda sucks but it’s not does teams fault.. Don’t know if they did reach out to play or not.. Worss from the grapevine none of them didn’t want no part of BTW lol... But BTW still has to win some of those games.. To me the new playoffs was an success.. Need some tweaking or 2 but I vibe it tho... Let’s get the playoffs started...

1 hour ago, Zoe Boy said:

I️ would just say this pertaining BTW.. Do they deserve to be in it yes. Why? Cause nobody else in 4a , maybe Edison played a schedule like BTW... Yes I understand BTW can bang with teams that in other higher districts and it showed when they lost to Central, Da West , Columbus by a combine 11 points but if other teams can basically schedule games  and don’t have to play booker t to battle it out kinda sucks but it’s not does teams fault.. Don’t know if they did reach out to play or not.. Worss from the grapevine none of them didn’t want no part of BTW lol... But BTW still has to win some of those games.. To me the new playoffs was an success.. Need some tweaking or 2 but I vibe it tho... Let’s get the playoffs started...

Getting better teams in could have been accomplished by simpler means. I am not sure I agree the new system was a success. In 6A, 16 it worked. But you could easily have mixed up 6A 16 with 6A 15 and the same would have been accomplished. North Dade is not far from Broward County. 

34 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Getting better teams in could have been accomplished by simpler means. I am not sure I agree the new system was a success. In 6A, 16 it worked. But you could easily have mixed up 6A 16 with 6A 15 and the same would have been accomplished. North Dade is not far from Broward County. 

I agree... 8A 16 I believe also has 4 teams in it too... Ijs as a first year project I think it was a success overall...

18 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

The new playoff system worked in 6A-4. Never before has a 4th place district member had a chance to be a state champion. Miami Norland, from an ungodly powerful district, makes the final eight in an region of many weak members. No one can argue they should be bumped from the playoffs by a more deserving Regional 4 team. The new system (IMO) worked here.... 

Did the 4th place team jump over 2nd and 3rd in the district and did 2nd or 3rd not make the playoffs?

18 hours ago, blackmagic said:

Theres no do you think.. You either in or out by the points. Now our opinion, there probably should never be a situation where a 1A team be out of the playoff with schedules like Madison or Pahokee.

Wildwood shows you do not have to play a tough schedule to be in. They got zero bonus points. And played only 2 teams .500 or over. 

Just asking here Magic.  and you think what Wildwood did was good.....that that is what needs to go to playoffs?  How is that measure best team?

If BTW doesn't like that they didn't make the playoffs then petition up to 5A for the next classification cycle. So you have a concrete district that you can play in. Otherwise, if you're going to continue to schedule a murderer's row of games, don't be surprised if you lose more than you win and you don't make the playoffs. They're way better than Edison and ISB this year, but those teams had ridiculous schedules this season and no one is saying they should make the playoffs just bc of that.

16 minutes ago, DB4 said:

If BTW doesn't like that they didn't make the playoffs then petition up to 5A for the next classification cycle. So you have a concrete district that you can play in. Otherwise, if you're going to continue to schedule a murderer's row of games, don't be surprised if you lose more than you win and you don't make the playoffs. They're way better than Edison and ISB this year, but those teams had ridiculous schedules this season and no one is saying they should make the playoffs just bc of that.

How about just re-instituting districts in the lower classes. Why should 5A to 8A play by a different set of rules? Jones moved up to 5A to avoid being avoided.

But in the long run this is not the solution as it just further waters down the lower classes.  Cocoa now has a super easy path to a state title to the point where you have to ask whether it means anything. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

How about just re-instituting districts in the lower classes. Why should 5A to 8A play by a different set of rules? Jones moved up to 5A to avoid being avoided.

But in the long run this is not the solution as it just further waters down the lower classes.  Cocoa now has a super easy path to a state title to the point where you have to ask whether it means anything. 

I do agree with you, I'm not sure why they took districts away in the lower half of classes. That would help. I feel like most of the controversy has come in 1A-4A.

6 minutes ago, DB4 said:

I do agree with you, I'm not sure why they took districts away in the lower half of classes. That would help. I feel like most of the controversy has come in 1A-4A.

If they had districts in the lower classes with just the District Champ guaranteed a birth, I have a hard time seeing how BTW would not have made the playoffs.

And while down a bit, at least you would not have the coronation of Cocoa before a single playoff game has been played. 

There are times when a team is just so much better than all the other teams in the state they are going to win their state title. A few St. Thomas teams come to mind as well as the 2006/2007 Miami Northwestern team. However, the rules of engagement should not be such that a very good but not great team is set up to win a title which is what I think has happened in 4A. 

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If they had districts in the lower classes with just the District Champ guaranteed a birth, I have a hard time seeing how BTW would not have made the playoffs.

And while down a bit, at least you would not have the coronation of Cocoa before a single playoff game has been played. 

There are times when a team is just so much better than all the other teams in the state they are going to win their state title. A few St. Thomas teams come to mind as well as the 2006/2007 Miami Northwestern team. However, the rules of engagement should not be such that a very good but not great team is set up to win a title which is what I think has happened in 4A. 

To be fair i think raines right now has a punchers chance in 4a

3 hours ago, STILL KRUNK said:

Just asking here Magic.  and you think what Wildwood did was good.....that that is what needs to go to playoffs?  How is that measure best team?

I do not think it is good. That's why I stated it. The system is suppose to reward the teams that play tough schedules. Wildwood showed that the system did not work that way by getting in as a #2 seed. But unless there are changes, other teams will go this route also. A 38 avg gets you in the playoffs. That's 10 cat 4 playoff teams. If I'm scheduling games, I'm looking at all the playoff teams with large number of seniors that may have a fall off next year.

6 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Jones would have a great shot at winning 4A.  probably the second best team if they were in 4A.  bad move for them.  

23 minutes ago, badbird said:

Jones would have a great shot at winning 4A.  probably the second best team if they were in 4A.  bad move for them.  

Yes, they would. But I think they moved up due to wanting to be in a district.

Jones's road in 5A is rough. However, I would not totally discount their chances. If they can beat Gibbons at home, I think they make at least the Regional Final. If they do that, then AHP stands in their way as Jones would be on the road for that game. 

From my understanding, based on coaches response to the survey, small schools didn't want districts. It was also supposed to be a way of convincing schools who were independent to become part of 2A and 3A. While speaking of Jones, don't forget Bolles and Trinity Christian moved up from 3A and 4A to 5A to ensure that they would have teams to  play against them. 

6 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

From my understanding, based on coaches response to the survey, small schools didn't want districts. It was also supposed to be a way of convincing schools who were independent to become part of 2A and 3A. While speaking of Jones, don't forget Bolles and Trinity Christian moved up from 3A and 4A to 5A to ensure that they would have teams to  play against them. 

Well tca and Bolles were not being tested much in their class so it was a postitive in the end they moved up 

Better for everyone 

26 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

None of the small school coaches that I have talked to.