Coaching changes

DB4

Michael Shane Matthews (born June 1, 1970) is an American former college and professional football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) for all or part of fourteen seasons during the 1990s and 2000s. He played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the Chicago Bears, Washington Redskins, and four other NFL teams. Since retiring as a player, Matthews has lived near his college alma mater in North Central Florida

I expected Joe Sturdivant to either leave or be asked to leave after 3 pretty unsuccessful seasons with Trinity Catholic. The Celtics had been a winning football team since the school opened their doors in 2001.  Under Kerwin Bell and then under John Brantley they were in 4 championship games, won 2, and were in the playoffs just about every season. The fans and supporters were not used to losing and especially to teams they routinely had defeated in previous years. I know Joe personally and he is one of the most decent fellows I've ever met. Really cared about his players and brought a new type of concept to the school of comradeship and teamwork. Unfortunately, something did not gel. Before coming to Trinity he was the Defensive Coordinator for IMG so he knows what he is doing. Since this is the first I have heard about this I haven't a clue if Mathews is the next HC or who is actually being considered. Whoever it is I am hoping that he can bring the Celtics back to their winning form. I really wish Joe the best in his new position.

Have not heard about Brantley having any disagreements with the administration nor that they have decided to stress academics ahead of football as the school already sends almost 100% of its graduates on to higher learning and that includes football players. However, I don't have inside knowledge of the workings of TC administration.

No prosetye..you dont. Brantley was allowed to recruit. Joe was not. The talent level is light years different. If that is not abundantly obvious to you then you werent around to see Kerwin or Brantleys teams. Thats what didnt "gel". Why would he leave to go to Bellview? Come on. The kids TC used to get now attend everywhere else for a reason. There are no full scholarships to TC. Everybody pays.

4 minutes ago, Sonofablitz said:

No prosetye..you dont. Brantley was allowed to recruit. Joe was not. The talent level is light years different. If that is not abundantly obvious to you then you werent around to see Kerwin or Brantleys teams. Thats what didnt "gel". Why would he leave to go to Bellview? Come on. The kids TC used to get now attend everywhere else for a reason. There are no full scholarships to TC. Everybody pays.

Brantley did not leave Trinity to go to Bellview. He left due to his regular job according to him. As you know he did not take over as HC of Belleview until a couple of years after he left Trinity. I have been a supporter of Celtic's football for nearly 16 years and I knew both Kerwin and John. I do agree with you that they both did their best, within the FHSAA rules, to bring on board the best players they could find. I do emphasize within FHSAA rules as Trinity has never been penalized for recruiting by the FHSAA. I don't know if the administration at Trinity shut down Joe's ability to obtain good players but Joe did tell me that he was able to bring in D-1 quality talent. I don't believe that the school ever gave away full scholarships to any student. They did accept a very few students who had government assistance which paid for partial tuition. But this was not just relegated to the football program. I do know that the Pastor of Trinity was an avid football fan and was at every game. So, I don't understand how he would hinder the HC in any way. But, then again, I am not an inside trader with the school.

My own personal opinion is that  Coach Sturdivant brought a totally different philosophy to Celtic football than had been in the past. More emphasis on the running game as opposed to a 60/40 pass/run offense. More of a spread type offense than the Pro Set used since the days of Kerwin Bell. Even a different defensive setup. I don't think that his emphasis on team effort as opposed to individual effort went over well with some of the players. I might be wrong but that is what I felt.

I am wondering if the OC Tom Elliott would not be the best pick for HC. He came out of Alabama where he led his team to 6 state championships and set all sorts of offensive records. He's also a former QB who led his Northern Alabama team to a national championship. Unless of course if he also has departed the team.

10 hours ago, Sonofablitz said:

I guess my overall point is that Joe did a good job with the talent available to him. I think more than anything...the Florida transfer rules were set up to try and end private school dominance. 

You mean like the dominance of Miami Central, MNW, Carol City, Armwood, Pahokee, Cocoa, Venice, and a few other public schools that were dominant long before the new transfer rules. The transfer rules were actually put in place by Governor Scott who wanted students to have a choice in finding the best schools academically. Just so happens that the rules also apply to students involved in sports.

12 hours ago, Proseteye said:

I do agree with you that they both did their best, within the FHSAA rules, to bring on board the best players they could find. I do emphasize within FHSAA rules as Trinity has never been penalized for recruiting by the FHSAA. I don't know if the administration at Trinity shut down Joe's ability to obtain good players but Joe did tell me that he was able to bring in D-1 quality talent.

That is a clear advantage to BRING in the best players they could FIND. To FIND something you have to be LOOKING for something. If that aint recruiting I dont know what is. I understand that these are your words but c'mon man. You have stated a number of times that you are opposed to school choice but what you posted contradicts that. Trinity was a powerhouse for a reason. I also dont understand how the former coaches emphasis on team effort over individual effort would be a bad thing in the eyes of players. Remember the old saying "there is no I in team". For good reason, I think every coach in the world has used that quote at one time or another. 

8 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

That is a clear advantage to BRING in the best players they could FIND. To FIND something you have to be LOOKING for something. If that aint recruiting I dont know what is. I understand that these are your words but c'mon man. You have stated a number of times that you are opposed to school choice but what you posted contradicts that. Trinity was a powerhouse for a reason. I also dont understand how the former coaches emphasis on team effort over individual effort would be a bad thing in the eyes of players. Remember the old saying "there is no I in team". For good reason, I think every coach in the world has used that quote at one time or another. 

the van that use to drive around and pick up football players for school and take them home after practice must have broke down.  

On 11/30/2017 at 5:42 PM, SportsNut25 said:

Viera HC resigned to take an AD job at a new school. Viera has promoted the team's DC to the HC role. 

This may work out well for Viera. They have a ton of talent and the money to build. The Viera defense was the best part of that team though they could light it up on offense also. 

Also; Wonder how long Younger is going to stay at Rockledge before he takes over at Cocoa? Younger proved he can do the job after taking a struggling Rockledge program and turning it around. I hope it doesn't happen, but It would seem that Wilks would want to coach his son in Daytona. 

10 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Should be a plus for FAMU with Rolle's strong ties to Dade football....On another note, safe to say Southridge is a sinking ship for now?

I know they won state in 2016, but I think Southridge underachieved with Rolle given all the talent they had there. Especially bc they were bringing in so many transfers from other schools in South Miami-Dade.

On 12/15/2017 at 11:48 PM, Just A Coach said:

You must have missed where I stated within FHSAA guidelines. All coaches have some say in the players they bring on to their team otherwise what would be the purpose of having a coach?

On 12/16/2017 at 8:06 AM, badbird said:

the van that use to drive around and pick up football players for school and take them home after practice must have broke down.  

And you know this, How?

On 12/17/2017 at 12:04 AM, Just A Coach said:

I still cant believe that Proset took the time to type that about the former coaches at Trinity and then submitted the post. WOW.....

Now you're not making any sense. Don't have a clue what point you're trying to make.