Coaching changes

DB4

7 minutes ago, dawgs said:

st cloud is defintely not a new school.  

gateway was built in '85

harmony in 04

celebration around the same time.

liberty was the last new school built there.

this toho school was supposed to open 8 or 9 years ago to help with the infusion of students.  but the 08 bottom falling out of the economy put it in holding pattern.  st cloud was renovated to hold 2100 kids, when the enrollment was already 1900.  they built a new building at gateway and removed some portables, wasnt enough.  they are busting at the seams.

what they did with the rezone lines is what is pure shock.  moved the "BVL" off gateway to the new school, and gave gateway remington neighboorhood back(which has gone to st cloud for about 10 years).  

funny how they did nothing to OHS and their zone.....st cloud could drop to 6a, as could gateway in the next redistrict.

I mentioned St Cloud along with those others just to say that there is already an old program that doen't appear to have the talent to run deep in the playoffs and now all of these other schools have popped up, potentially diluting things.

..dropping to 6A...that would be interesting.  I don't believe there are currently any schools from Orange or Osceola Counties in 6A.  Could be wrong.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I mentioned St Cloud along with those others just to say that there is already an old program that doen't appear to have the talent to run deep in the playoffs and now all of these other schools have popped up, potentially diluting things.

..dropping to 6A...that would be interesting.  I don't believe there are currently any schools from Orange or Osceola Counties in 6A.  Could be wrong.

i see what you mean old school.

yea st cloud is losing around 600 kids and not getting anything back, from what i was told.  gateway losing around 1k.  harmony 2-300.  the new school is opening and playing in st cloud district(7a) that district is HUGE!!!  they just added windermere last fall, now toho.

liberty, celebration, lake nona, windermere, east river, st cloud, toho, harmony.  kinda ruins some non district scheduling for everyone.  

i would assume that in the next redistrict a couple of those schools are gone, doesnt make much sense to be looped together.  east river could easily be in the hagerty district and take out west port and east ridge.  nona goes to 8a. windermere too.  toho probably stays in that grouping, st cloud petitions up to it and i bet gateway tries to get in it as well.

it will be completely up for grabs if that happens

Todd Yoder stepped down from Calvary Christian (Clearwater). His tenure at Calvary will go down as their most successful stint. Yoder was up and down at Calvary, but he lead the Warriors to their first playoff win this year.  In addition, Calvary made significant strides with their football program.

Calvary had a strong core of players returning for their 2017 campaign and then benefited from numerous defections at CCC with Amari Burney and DeAndre Ferguson hopping over.  Calvary was actually a darkhorse in the region and made it to the regional finals.

With the bulk of their athletes graduating and Ethan White and River Wood transferring out- the Warriors weren't left with much.

I'm curious who ends up taking over the position.The program has top notch facilities and resources to draw from.

10 hours ago, dawgs said:

i see what you mean old school.

yea st cloud is losing around 600 kids and not getting anything back, from what i was told.  gateway losing around 1k.  harmony 2-300.  the new school is opening and playing in st cloud district(7a) that district is HUGE!!!  they just added windermere last fall, now toho.

liberty, celebration, lake nona, windermere, east river, st cloud, toho, harmony.  kinda ruins some non district scheduling for everyone.  

i would assume that in the next redistrict a couple of those schools are gone, doesnt make much sense to be looped together.  east river could easily be in the hagerty district and take out west port and east ridge.  nona goes to 8a. windermere too.  toho probably stays in that grouping, st cloud petitions up to it and i bet gateway tries to get in it as well.

it will be completely up for grabs if that happens

...curiosity got the best of me.  Looked at the performance of all of those newer teams in Orlando. East River and Lake Nona are doing reasonably well, but the others have really struggled to get traction.  And with the other 3 likely district winners in the region Viera, Plant, and Lakeland...good luck.  Any reason why East River and Lake Nona have gotten traction? 

Gateway finally strung together a few winning seasons and now losing possible talent.  If growth continues in central FL at this rate, can you imagine what it will look like in 20 years? 

03 Celebration(7A) went 1-9 in 2017.  Except for win against Windermere, scored 6 points total in other 9 games.

09 East River(7A) went 9-2 in 2017...trending in right direction.   

03 Freedom(8A) 14-37-1 in last 5 seasons. 

04 Harmony(7A) has been inconsistent since opening.

09 Lake Nona(7A) has shown ability to string together winning seasons.

07 Liberty(7A) only one winning season in 11 years. 

17 Windermere(7A) went 0-10 in 2017 and scored a total of 7 points all season.

11 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...curiosity got the best of me.  Looked at the performance of all of those newer teams in Orlando. East River and Lake Nona are doing reasonably well, but the others have really struggled to get traction.  And with the other 3 likely district winners in the region Viera, Plant, and Lakeland...good luck.  Any reason why East River and Lake Nona have gotten traction? 

Gateway finally strung together a few winning seasons and now losing possible talent.  If growth continues in central FL at this rate, can you imagine what it will look like in 20 years? 

03 Celebration(7A) went 1-9 in 2017.  Except for win against Windermere, scored 6 points total in other 9 games.

my best guess on east river has been the east orlando talent in that area.  timber creek is always decent to good.  and that area is growing like a weed.  some good coaches have gone thru east river(and a couple poor ones, but thats another deal).  Their 9-2 last year, regardless of the schedule, is still 9-2.  they are 1 of 2 open enrollment schools in orange county.  but you doubt that a west side kid would drive all the way to bithlo.

lake nona, has to be paradiso.  dude knows how to get the best out of his qbs.  the tall kid they had last 2 years wasnt a great passer so they ran some single wing type stuff(like timber creek did with patrick).  kid they have now at qb is a darin slack prodigy.  he can flat out sling it.  and of course some WR know they will throw it 30-40-50 times a game so they want to be at nona.

gateway finally got some kids to stay home and not go to ohs, but with re zone, idk how much it hurts them.  

freedoms best kids leave to DP's bench yearly.

harmony was bad for a couple years, but showed life last year and are young.

liberty hasnt been good since doug nichols was the coach when they first opened.  but they do have the original principal back in there now.  gary preisser.

the rest,,,,you said it best.  in con sis tent.  

On 2/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

It should be noted that of Windermere's seven points, four were scored by the defense.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:01 AM, MuckCityChamp said:

Don't understand this hire Rick Casko stepped down from Glades Central High because "of the time the job consumes" now he will become the head coach of a program that needs building? Hope it works out but I see Seminole Ridge needing a another coach come 2020. 

On 1/29/2018 at 2:50 PM, MuckCityChamp said:

It's tough to build winning Football programs when you bring out of County guys in to run the show he most definitely need to bring back some of the coaches from the last staff  

7 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

Don't understand this hire Rick Casko stepped down from Glades Central High because "of the time the job consumes" now he will become the head coach of a program that needs building? Hope it works out but I see Seminole Ridge needing a another coach come 2020. 

Actually Seminole Ridge was left in decent shape. So he has some foundation and resources to build on. Staff hires and keeping kids from transferring out will be the key. His return to GC wasn't really a good fit.

5 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

Brian Pulaski has taken the HC job at Suncoast after being let go at Cardinal Newman, per multiple reports. 

..comment after Pulaski was let go...

“Cardinal Newman football is moving forward with our football program,” athletic director Jay Lower said. “[We’ll] be announcing changes in the near future.”

...about to be 3 coaches in 4 years after years of great continuity at head coach.  Will be interesting to see how "forward" they move with that track record.  

Dawg don't throw stones. Always talking about kids that come to OHS, look at the kids that transferred out of OHS this past year. 3 left to go to St.Cloud, and started (2 DE, 1 LB), 3 went to Liberty (1 QB, 1 WR, 1 DB), (3 to Orlando schools), (1 to gateway). Name the 4-6 each year that came from Liberty?

9 hours ago, Nolestrong said:

Dawg don't throw stones. Always talking about kids that come to OHS, look at the kids that transferred out of OHS this past year. 3 left to go to St.Cloud, and started (2 DE, 1 LB), 3 went to Liberty (1 QB, 1 WR, 1 DB), (3 to Orlando schools), (1 to gateway). Name the 4-6 each year that came from Liberty?

i edited what I said.  the 4-6 now says WINS, as that is what I was implying.

those kids yall lost, the stc kids were alright, but did any of the other kids actually play?  the 200 kids you lose to toho, how many will be football players?  and now, how many will be quality football players.  not jersey wearers...

anyone with any knowledge of osceola schools knows its ohs getting kids and everyone else scrambling not to lose them.  its always been that way.  kids zoned for gateway and somehow they end up at "auntie" address and they play ball there.  even though they live in marisol or BVL.  

is what it is....happens in every county.  dont get butt hurt about it.

1 hour ago, dawgs said:

i edited what I said.  the 4-6 now says WINS, as that is what I was implying.

those kids yall lost, the stc kids were alright, but did any of the other kids actually play?  the 200 kids you lose to toho, how many will be football players?  and now, how many will be quality football players.  not jersey wearers...

anyone with any knowledge of osceola schools knows its ohs getting kids and everyone else scrambling not to lose them.  its always been that way.  kids zoned for gateway and somehow they end up at "auntie" address and they play ball there.  even though they live in marisol or BVL.  

is what it is....happens in every county.  dont get butt hurt about it.

only one person on here butt hurt about it and tries to mention it every thread

22 hours ago, MuckCityChamp said:

Actually Seminole Ridge was left in decent shape. So he has some foundation and resources to build on. Staff hires and keeping kids from transferring out will be the key. His return to GC wasn't really a good fit.

Explain how it was left in decent shape and what pieces you referring to? when the entire staff last season went to the paper talking about the community and admin.? the big kid they had at runningback last season is the brother of one of the coaches that was very negative about the program to the paper. At Glades central he was left with James Blackman QB at FSU, Q. Allen division one receiver, J. Way division one receiver, Vickers division one runningback, Trey Green division one defensive back, and etc Seminole Ridge has nothing compared to that and they will play a much tougher schedule but if you know something I don't I don't see how this was a good hire for a program looking to become more stable. 

Rick Casko is given a pass because of what he did at Glades Central between 1991-1994 with a team that had like 10 NFL players but since then he has been a under .500 coach where ever he has been and you think that will change at Seminole Ridge with a less talented zone of kids?  

His last stint at Glades Central was decent but not good enough with the talent he had on those teams playing in a 4a division 

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

An Update to my previous post in January

I'm expecting good things at OTC starting with this season.

http://www.ocala.com/news/20180124/andrew-thomas-hired-as-trinity-catholic-football-coach

"With the hire, Bond is expecting the type of immediate success Thomas had during his tenure at Trenton."   Possibly the article's author used the word "immediate," and not the AD. 

However, the AD was quoted as saying, “The expectation is to be able to compete at that high level and to make lengthy playoff runs every year and compete for state championships.”

Well, that implies to me there likely is an expectation for "immediate" success.  Has the AD ever coached a football program before?  If so, has he ever taken a team with a combined losing record over the prior three seasons to a state championship game in his first season of coaching?  As best I can tell, the AD is a baseball coach whose teams have not made it past the first round of the playoffs 4 of the past 6 seasons and 7 of the past 14 seasons.  That doesn't sound like lengthy playoff runs every year to me.  Maybe he should quit, since he is not living up to his own standards.

If the AD thinks his expectations of the new football coach are reasonable, he should put be willing to put on his big boy pants and do the same with his baseball teams and also state he is willing to resign his own position as AD upon failure of his new hire to attain such lofty goals.  After all, that is the way it works in the business world. 

I am a big believer in being able to do myself whatever I expect of anyone in my organization.  Any good leader is.  It is this "win NOW or else" attitude of the academic administration that is ruining the game for coaches and their families, and sending the wrong message about sports to our young people.  I don't mean to pick on this specific AD.  I don't know him and he is probably a great guy.  But there is a whole lot of hypocrisy out there that gives ammo to those who want high school sports to go away.               

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

"With the hire, Bond is expecting the type of immediate success Thomas had during his tenure at Trenton."   Possibly the article's author used the word "immediate," and not the AD. 

However, the AD was quoted as saying, “The expectation is to be able to compete at that high level and to make lengthy playoff runs every year and compete for state championships.”

Well, that implies to me there likely is an expectation for "immediate" success.  Has the AD ever coached a football program before?  If so, has he ever taken a team with a combined losing record over the prior three seasons to a state championship game in his first season of coaching?  As best I can tell, the AD is a baseball coach whose teams have not made it past the first round of the playoffs 4 of the past 6 seasons and 7 of the past 14 seasons.  That doesn't sound like lengthy playoff runs every year to me.  Maybe he should quit, since he is not living up to his own standards.

If the AD thinks his expectations of the new football coach are reasonable, he should put be willing to put on his big boy pants and do the same with his baseball teams and also state he is willing to resign his own position as AD upon failure of his new hire to attain such lofty goals.  After all, that is the way it works in the business world. 

I am a big believer in being able to do myself whatever I expect of anyone in my organization.  Any good leader is.  It is this "win NOW or else" attitude of the academic administration that is ruining the game for coaches and their families, and sending the wrong message about sports to our young people.  I don't mean to pick on this specific AD.  I don't know him and he is probably a great guy.  But there is a whole lot of hypocrisy out there that gives ammo to those who want high school sports to go away.               

As far as I know this has been standard procedure at Trinity Catholic from the first day that the school had a football team in 2001. "The expectation is to be able to compete at that high level and to make lengthy playoff runs every year and compete for state championships.” This comes directly from the administration and has been the school's rallying cry from the get go. This may have been the school's first football coach Kerwin Bell's talk to his team to get his team motivated. And, I think it did because the Celtics have been successful for most of those 16 years. Thomas is not taking over a team that are novices. He is taking over a team that went through some major changes in 2015 and it carried over to 2016 and partially 2017. Although in 2017 the team was coalescing and defeating most of its opponents. When Joe Sturdivant arrived on the scene from IMG Academy, he totally changed the offensive and defensive formations. He also changed the team philosophy that had worked for many years. Those drastic changes may work with a college or NFL team. Not so much with a HS team. The AD, Bond, has been with the school a long time and has overseen some great teams in those years. I feel that you may be misinterpreting what he stated to a reporter as he was just reiterating a phrase that has been with OTC from the beginning. Pretty harmless I would think. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It use to be the way it worked in the business world. Things there have gone in the same direction has high school sports. It is a national shift not restricted to high school athletics. 

Very true and appreciate the comment, Darter.  Some leaders get away with blaming others and are not held accountable themselves.  It has gone to extremes in the other directions as well, though. 

I've known good leaders who had careers ruined because of idiots below them.  But It was easier for the organization to sack them than deal with the real problem.  It sucks, but it comes with the territory, especially with today's lynchmob mentality.  Been there, done that.      

At some point, if my subordinates keep failing and I keep getting rid of them, I need to start looking myself in the mirror and wonder if my expectations are unrealistic and/or I am a failure at selecting the right people..a key leadership skill.  If there is a revolving door of coaches/leaders in an organization, all one needs to do is look up, and that is where the problem can often be found. 

58 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

At some point, if my subordinates keep failing and I keep getting rid of them, I need to start looking myself in the mirror and wonder if my expectations are unrealistic and/or I am a failure at selecting the right people..a key leadership skill.  If there is a revolving door of coaches/leaders in an organization, all one needs to do is look up, and that is where the problem can often be found

A good boss, hires good people. That is exactly right.