Coaching changes

DB4

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

First off that same manatee team lost to Lincoln if i remember correctly and we beat Lincoln by 37 in playoffs 

That game was 2 years ago if i remember correctly 

I'll use GA as a example 

Teams like lowndes play weak FL teams, i think plant was only team who top 50 when they played 

All were in GA 

Grayson played img and Miami Central before but also played isb this past year 

Colquitt played AHP and lost but also play lower level FL teams 

Fact is most oos teams fear FL and they will instead schedule a 400th ranked team in state and act like they beat a powerhouse but won't have the guts to play a elite team and these FL teams won't turn a game down even if they will get blown out 

Think you got your years mixed up.  It was 16/17 season and that Manatee team lost to Dr Phillips in the playoffs. They were not a great Manatee team for sure, but they weren't bad either.

..there are good/great teams out there folks have never heard of.  Some teams ride their reputations in the rankings, showing up year after year, while others remain in obscurity.

In 2015, Brooks County, GA, a 2A school most in FL have never heard of beat Madison County 27-0. Wasn't MC's greatest year, but bet it still surprised a bunch of folks.

Most folks recognize Hoover as a national power. Check out these Alabama HS teams, many of whom FL folks have likely heard of, or who have never been nationally ranked(except for Prattville), who have beaten Hoover over the years.  Vestavia Hills has traditionally had an excellent program(not the past 2 seasons).  They have beaten Hoover multiple times, yet have only made the Top 100 teams in USA once in the past 14 seasons(#88 in 2006)

*=Hoover ranked in Top 35 in USA

*2017  lost to Thompson

*2016 Hoover won but only 14-7 vs James Clemens High

2015 lost to Vestavia Hills, lost to Spain Park (twice)

*2013  lost to Florence

2011 lost to Mountain Brook, lost to Prattville

*2010  lost to Daphne

*2009 lost to Vestavia Hills

2008 lost to Prattville

2007 lost to Vestavia Hills

2006 lost to Prattville

*2005 lost to Tuscaloosa County (Hoover finished #3 in the country this year)

54 minutes ago, DB4 said:

I just moved to Alabama and while I haven't been here for a football season, I'll give a few thoughts:

-One reason why the publics dont have as much worry as the publics is that there is a separate organization for the privates (AISA). Now there are privates that play in the AHSAA, not sure what the stipulations are on them playing there though.

-In the short time that I've been here, transferring is not nearly the issue it is in Florida. I've seen a couple kids tweet about transferring but not many.

-Some stuff is tough to evaluate in my opinion, but I think the coaching in Alabama probably helps equal out whatever talent disparity there may be between FL and AL. They pay coaches better here, head coaches are ADs, just like in Texas.

-The top schools in AL can definitely compete with the top schools in FL. And keep in mind, a 6A in Alabama would be closer to 4A in Florida.

There is some interesting history there.  The public schools dominate in AL but went ballistic one year when privates did better than normal.   ..so ballistic, even state congressmen got involved!

Below are a couple of excerpts and at the bottom a link to the entire article.  

"State Rep. Ritchie Whorton (R-Owens Cross Roads) proposed a bill that would mandate separate championships for public and private schools."

"The AHSAA currently has 408 members. There are 49 private-school members or about 12 percent.  Are those 49 really dominating championships as some indicate? The numbers in recent years indicate they are not.  During the 2016-2017 school year, private schools won 38 of the 111 total AHSAA championships or roughly 33 percent. Three schools – American Christian, St. Paul’s and UMS-Wright – won a combined 13 of those 38 titles.  In the major team sports of football, boys and girls basketball, baseball and softball, only four championships in 35 went to private schools. No private school won a football state championship in 2016."

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-4306251179099043292/private-vs-public-schools-will-there-soon-be-another-change-in-the-ahsaa-athletic-playing-field/

The AISA is an organization that does NOT have good football with the exception of one school. If AISA schools were allowed to play AHSAA schools, nearly all of them would not do so. The foundation of the league remains what it was at its outset. Research a little history if that's confusing.

57 minutes ago, DB4 said:

I just moved to Alabama and while I haven't been here for a football season, I'll give a few thoughts:

-One reason why the publics dont have as much worry as the publics is that there is a separate organization for the privates (AISA). Now there are privates that play in the AHSAA, not sure what the stipulations are on them playing there though.

-In the short time that I've been here, transferring is not nearly the issue it is in Florida. I've seen a couple kids tweet about transferring but not many.

-Some stuff is tough to evaluate in my opinion, but I think the coaching in Alabama probably helps equal out whatever talent disparity there may be between FL and AL. They pay coaches better here, head coaches are ADs, just like in Texas.

-The top schools in AL can definitely compete with the top schools in FL. And keep in mind, a 6A in Alabama would be closer to 4A in Florida.Check out the n

There are 15 schools in Alabama(AL) 6A,the second biggest class,that would be in FL 3A.  The rest of the AL 6A schools would be in FL 4A.  27 of AL 7A schools would be FL 5A. Of the remaining schools in AL 7A, 3 would be FL 6A and 2 would be in FL 7A.

.http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/1479148898790871002/ahsaa-reclassification-by-the-numbers-where-your-school-fell-in-terms-of-2016-18-enrollment/

To the right of each name is the FL classification where theTop 25 Alabama high schools would play if they were in Florida.  With the exception of AHP, match the top 10 5A teams in AL  versus Florida's top 10 5A teams and, at the very least, I think they would give those teams all they could handle, if not beat them.  Several of those teams would be very capable of making the FL 5A state final.   Concerning 4A top 10 matchups..I feel pretty confident saying the Alabama schools would get the best of the FL schools.

1 Hoover  7A
2 Pinson Valley 4A
3 Thompson 5A
4 Central 5A
5 McGill-Toolen 5A
6 Austin 4A
7 Hewitt-Trussville 5A
8 Clay-Chalkville 4A
9 Wetumpka 4A
10 Auburn 6A
11 Oxford 4A
12 Mountain Brook 5A
13 St Paul's Episcopal 3A
14 Spanish Fort 4A
15 Spain Park 5A
16 Park Crossing 4A
17 Hillcrest 4A
18 Opelika 4A
19 Lee 5A
20 Bob Jones 5A
21 Shades Valley 5A
22 Homewood 4A
23 Oak Mountain 5A
24 Vestavia Hills 5A
25 UMS-Wright Prep 3A

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

First off that same manatee team lost to Lincoln if i remember correctly and we beat Lincoln by 37 in playoffs 

I'll use GA as a example 

Teams like lowndes play weak FL teams, i think plant was only team who top 50 when they played 

All were in GA 

Fact is most oos teams fear FL and they will instead schedule a 400th ranked team in state and act like they beat a powerhouse but won't have the guts to play a elite team and these FL teams won't turn a game down even if they will get blown out 

Aren't some of our Florida teams just as guilty when it comes to playing in-state, out-of-area teams?  The poster child is Lakeland, who,until they scheduled Carol City, scheduled cupcakes from south FL.  Dr Phillips scheduled Hollywood McArthur:rolleyes: in 2011 & 2012.

Can anyone out there name the times when central or north FL teams came to Dade/Broward /Palm Beach during the regular season and played one of the better teams there?  

I know Bolles and Mainland have. Any others?

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Aren't some of our Florida teams just as guilty when it comes to playing in-state, out-of-area teams?  The poster child is Lakeland, who,until they scheduled Carol City, scheduled cupcakes from south FL.  Dr Phillips scheduled Hollywood McArthur:rolleyes: in 2011 & 2012.

Can anyone out there name the times when central or north FL teams came to Dade/Broward /Palm Beach during the regular season and played one of the better teams there?  

If you gonna play oos make it good 

Playing another states garbage is just a cheap thing to do in my opinion 

17 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I probably could find some I'm just not sure off top of my head 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If you gonna play oos make it good 

Playing another states garbage is just a cheap thing to do in my opinion 

I guess there is something to be said about "starting slow."  ...work your way into the tougher teams.  If first time out of the gate an OOS team comes into your stadium and blows the door off of you, the Administration might say "never again."

We all need to remind ourselves, these regular season OOS games are still a relatively new phenomenon, and foreign to some teams. Maybe it makes sense to ease into it.   

28 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I guess there is something to be said about "starting slow."  ...work your way into the tougher teams.  If first time out of the gate an OOS team comes into your stadium and blows the door off of you, the Administration might say "never again."

We all need to remind ourselves, these regular season OOS games are still a relatively new phenomenon, and foreign to some teams. Maybe it makes sense to ease into it.   

Ik but there are plenty of jv level teams (like isb) that FL teams can schedule if they want a easy win so we don't have to leave the state to face a cupcake 

I'm sure it's same case in GA and other states but those states would rather play a FL cupcake then play one in their own damn state,  why? 

Because they want to beat a team like isb and say they beat a "broward County team from FL" 

To them they will act like beating isb is the equivalent of beating sta 

On 3/6/2018 at 4:04 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'll use GA as a example 

All were in GA 

You made the comment most OOS fear Florida so I had to look up some OOS games for what we would consider our top programs.

We have won our fair share of games and for the most part theses games are played out of state, maybe because they have a better facilities not sure. But these are just a list of teams and who we have lost too.

Miami Central- Dematha (MD), Grayson (GA), Camden County(GA)

Miami Northwestern- Chandler (AZ), Long Beach Poly (CA)

Miami Booker T Washington- Hamilton(AZ), Northside Warner Robbins (GA)

Cocoa- Bishop Gorman (NV), St. Edward(OH), Louisville Trinity(KY), Gonzaga (DC), St Joseph Prep(PA), Colerain (OH), Skyline(TX), West Monroe(LA)

St. Thomas Aquinas- Centennial (AZ), Bishop Gorman (NV), Don Bosco (NJ) twice

Plant- Colquitt County (GA), Lowndes (GA), John Curtis Christian (LA), Abilene(TX)

Manatee - Hewitt-Trussville(AL), Hoover (AL), Ware County (GA), Our Lady of Good Counsel(MD), Don Bosco (NJ)

I think its fair to say Florida has lost its share of games and people aren't fearful of them. 

51 minutes ago, smashmouth80 said:

You made the comment most OOS fear Florida so I had to look up some OOS games for what we would consider our top programs.

We have won our fair share of games and for the most part theses games are played out of state, maybe because they have a better facilities not sure. But these are just a list of teams and who we have lost too.

Miami Central- Dematha (MD), Grayson (GA), Camden County(GA)

Miami Northwestern- Chandler (AZ), Long Beach Poly (CA)

Miami Booker T Washington- Hamilton(AZ), Northside Warner Robbins (GA)

Cocoa- Bishop Gorman (NV), St. Edward(OH), Louisville Trinity(KY), Gonzaga (DC), St Joseph Prep(PA), Colerain (OH), Skyline(TX), West Monroe(LA)

St. Thomas Aquinas- Centennial (AZ), Bishop Gorman (NV), Don Bosco (NJ) twice

Plant- Colquitt County (GA), Lowndes (GA), John Curtis Christian (LA), Abilene(TX)

Manatee - Hewitt-Trussville(AL), Hoover (AL), Ware County (GA), Our Lady of Good Counsel(MD), Don Bosco (NJ)

I think its fair to say Florida has lost its share of games and people aren't fearful of them. 

That Ware County GA team that beat Manatee would be a 6A school in FL, and Manatee was an 8A state semifinalist that year who whomped Vero and beat an undefeated Dr Phillips in the region finals.  That is a good example of what many would agree was a FL Top 25 team vs a GA Top 25 team.  And the Hewitt Trussville AL team that beat Manatee would be a 5A school in FL.

Seems like a good many of the more competitive FL vs OOS games over history involved public vs private or private vs private.  I like the idea of comparing public vs public games.  Northside vs Booker T was an example of two very good public school programs going after each other.  Northside won 31-7.