So much for new format helping curb blowouts

nolebull813

3 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Well let's face reality, please. When you allow any team to "recruit" 20 D1 players this is the result (just a hypothetical example). A few teams become all star teams and then you have the rest who, for the most part, are the sisters of the poor. I am not even a coach and I think I could take 0-9 Bronson, recruit a whole bunch of D1 players from anywhere and everywhere, and probably vie for the 1A championship maybe in the first year. I respect a team like South Sumter. They are usually a very good team and even championship caliber. However some years, like 2017, they are terrible. Without a doubt they use their own home grown players and don't bring in mercenaries year in and year out. Maybe the coaches care more about developing the character of their own kids than putting a plaque up on their wall.

You mean like when Trinity Catholic was winning titles?  What team gets 20 D1 transfers?

1 hour ago, Tigers2017 said:

Aren't classes based on student population?

Yes but they are too small. Only about 400 in enrollment for each class going from 3A to 7A

In Florida your enrollment doesn't determine how good you are. 

Cocoa has 900 or 1,000 kids and they would steamroll everyone in 8A except maybe the top 5 teams in 8A and they would be even with those 5.

Jax TC is 3A and they beat 8A West Orange a few years back 42-7 when West Orange went 12-2 and the 8A semi finals. 

The state needs to de emphasize the enrollment scale and condense the classes 

8 hours ago, Sharkbait said:

Using my awesome math skills I have come up with the average scores for the 1A-4A first round games

1A  46-14

2A  41-11

3A  38-14

4A  41-9

So I think the problem with blowouts has definitely been solved.

5A    34-16

6A     31-13

7A    38-16

8A   37-11

Average margin of victory  27 points