Viera vs Plant. Can the Panthers ground the Hawks.

Cat_Scratch

Friday night proves to be one of  the best nights for playoff football in Brevard. Rockledge takes on Cardinal Gibbons, Melbourne Central Catholic will test Oxbridge Academy, Cocoa should handle Avon Park decidedly, and Viera will have it's hands full with Tampa Plant. 

7A looks like one of the better brackets now that the playoffs have started. Getting to STA will be no easy feat for any of the North Florida teams. 

Viera has one of the best passing records in 7A, with Demorat passing for 2,192 yards and a QB rating of 118.7, with 21 TD's and just 4 int's. McCloud for Plant has 1,778 passing yards, with 24 TD's and 8 int's. Plants QB, McCloud, has 324 rushing yards and 5 TD's, while Demorat has 202 yards rushing and 6 TD's. Both QB's seem capable of leading their teams. Both teams have a stable of RB's, but the Panther's lead in the stats with 2,122 total yards, and an average of 192 per game over Viera's 1,299 yards, for an average of 129 yards per game.

Both teams use a shotgun QB, with 1 or 2 backs. Plant will have twins out wide, while Viera will go spread. If either QB has time they will find a receiver. Plant has a more balanced game, but at the price of playing a softer schedule. Viera has some impressive wins this season and seems to be hungry to prove they are worthy of playing for a title. Both teams have been in the playoffs the last few years and know what to expect. Viera will have home field and that could play a factor because Viera's home crowd with the band can get real loud. If the Panther's can get the run game going with a decent passing game then I expect a very close game. Maybe field position and special teams will play a big role. Both teams hit hard and have speed. The Hawks can and will air the ball out. Demorat is dangerous if he has time and the receivers will catch the ball in clutch plays. The Panther's run game is better when the passing game is working. Plant has the talent to break runs of 20 yards or more and they will break a few.  

The stats;

Plant has a strength of schedule of 23.7, and is ranked 34th in Florida. The Panthers are giving up an average of 7 points per game and scoring an average of 37 points. 

Viera's strength of schedule is 35.1, and ranked 7th in Florida. The Hawks are giving up an average of 8 points per game, and scoring an average of 35 points.

Who wins. I'm going with Viera because of the tougher schedule. This really shouldn't be a surprise. Viera has been quietly building a championship team and the Hawks have the coaching to take the team all the way. Viera worked hard on conditioning over the summer and it shows. Plant has been in big games many times and is aware of what is in front of them. I have a feeling this is going to be a hard hitting game and both defense's will be called on to go that extra mile. The defense that answers the call will carry their team to victory.

This team has a lot of big game experience. From Allen ,TX to Gonzaga, Wa.and deep play-off runs the last 2 years, they are up to the task, which is the first time in its history this can be said. 

The fortunes of the team revolve around the development of QB DeMorat. Second year starter he has come a long way this season. The staff has continued to feed him with greater flexibility as the season has progressed. He truly looked better then Kingston in the last game. I'm not talking about the competition,Gaither, but his ability to see all the field and hit the tougher outside routes,as opposed to the simple slants he has been hitting for two years.Simply put, if he is not pressured from the Plant defense, and matches his performance of last week, no teams but Venice and STA can slow him down or beat this Hawk team.

Viera defense is the surprise part of this team. Would not trade our starting 11 for anybodies. Great athletes in secondary(can cover top receivers in state), front 7 misses few tackles,when they get their hands on you ,your done.Very disciplined team, won't beat themselves. 

Special teams are a strength, elite returners in Atkins, Q.Phillips, Travis Jones (have all scored on returns). Two elite punter and kicker puts ball in end-zone probably 90%.Both will play at the next level.

One final comment, it would be dangerous to only observe stats with this offense, only played 9 games. Running clocks and blow-outs after first half have been the norm.

I'll predict this Hawk keeps soaring as QB DeMorat builds more confidence..

VIERA  31  -      plant   17

I have lined up against the Panthers, and watched them in a lot of games.  I have seen them pull out games when they were physically outmatched also.  They are VERY well coached, and usually have just enough athletes to get the job done, along with some guys that love to block.  I think its a close one, but I like the Panthers.

1 hour ago, Cjm04 said:

I have lined up against the Panthers, and watched them in a lot of games.  I have seen them pull out games when they were physically outmatched also.  They are VERY well coached, and usually have just enough athletes to get the job done, along with some guys that love to block.  I think its a close one, but I like the Panthers.

@Cjm04... YOU FRICKING WEINERA..KISSINGHOMER! LMAO. Did not know you posted on here. 

I want to wish everyone a happy holiday season and I enjoy this web site and all the conversation very much.  Unfortunately now that football has come to an end for my local teams (most important, my son's team)   My last bit of words will be; I just watched close to what could be considered a crime scene at Viera High School tonight. The better team did not move on to the Regional final.  Everyone Happy Holidays!!!! 

On 11/16/2017 at 1:58 PM, Cjm04 said:

You were prescient with that call. Things seemed to have worked out exactly as you anticipated!

Very nice analysis Cat Scratch. Pretty much spot on and a super good 2nd round game that was closely contested between two good teams. Disregard my nonsense on the BamaRod thread. Viera is an excellent team respected around the state. It's amazing what they've accomplished in such a short amount of time. They aren't going away and should be a great program for years to come. They'll snag a title some day.

Weiner can coach.  The only way you beat him is to RUN his team over.  I have been on both sides of those Plant games.  They won't dazzle you with anything.  They are going to line up and execute.  They will be prepared for just about anything you throw at them.  If its close, they usually win, unless you are running the ball down their throats.

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

Agree cjm04. Plant's kryptonite is STA. They get out talented, out executed, and there is no coaching advantage.

Not sure STA is going to have the same success throwing the ball this year.   Allen had like his best game of the year vs Plant.   I like the soph QB but I'm not sure STA is going to just run over Plant/Lakeland/Venice.