MNWBULLS

Miami Northwestern used its punishing defense to knock off No. 6 Miami Central 21-7 in the first meeting.

The game was for the District 6A-16 title and there was definitely a big-game atmosphere, with former NFL receiver Chad Ochocinco, former NFL running back Najeh Davenport and Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh among the notables on the sidelines.

Northwestern quarterback Tutu Atwell, a Louisville commit, did not disappoint. He threw two touchdown passes and had a touchdown run called back because of a holding penalty.

Atwell’s second touchdown pass, a 52-yard strike to Nigel Bethel, Jr., with 1:46 left in the third quarter, was the clincher as the Bulls’ defense wasn’t allowing much.

Central (10-2) scored its only touchdown with 2:06 to play on a 43-yard touchdown pass from Maurice Underwood to Terrell Perriman.

Northwestern (9-2) took a 14-0 lead in the first half.

Bulls defensive back Divaad Wilson, a Florida commit, set up the first touchdown of the game, picking off Miami Central quarterback Tijuane Morten’s pass. A few plays later, Davonne “Bo” Kendrick sprinted 55 yards for a touchdown to put the Northwestern up 7-0 with 24 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

The Bulls’ second touchdown came from a 9-yard pass from Atwell to Kiaryn Davis with two seconds to go in the first half.

It was the second time in as many seasons that Northwestern defeated Central. Last season, Northwestern defeated Central 45-44 in double-overtime to win the district and end the Rockets’ reign as four-time state champion.

SO I ASK WHO DO YOU THINK WILL BE VICTORIOUS TOMORROW NIGHT AT NATHANIEL TRAZ POWELL STADIUM 7:30PM IN THE SECOND ROUND PLAYOFFS? PINKOS BELIEVE MNW WILL WIN BY 1 IN THE NUMBER ONE GAME IN ALL OF FLORIDA.

MIANOR1472229697061.jpg

MNWBulls, recent history would give the Rockets a slight edge. My Mainland Bucs have been on the losing end to them 5 times in the last 7 or 8 yrs. Earlier in summer word was the Bulls were back and getting big time D-1 transfers. They've had a great season so far. Rivalry games are always tough and unpredictable. I've seen all of Northwestern's title games ( Tallahassee, Miami, and Orlando ). Have also seen all of Centrals too. May the best team win....then lose to Mainland :) .....living in LaLaLand

23 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

MNWBulls, recent history would give the Rockets a slight edge. My Mainland Bucs have been on the losing end to them 5 times in the last 7 or 8 yrs. Earlier in summer word was the Bulls were back and getting big time D-1 transfers. They've had a great season so far. Rivalry games are always tough and unpredictable. I've seen all of Northwestern's title games ( Tallahassee, Miami, and Orlando ). Have also seen all of Centrals too. May the best team win....then lose to Mainland :) .....living in LaLaLand

We never played y'all. 

Only CENTRAL and CAROL CITY mutted you guys.lol

3 minutes ago, 954gator said:

MNW needs to close out games!  Can't believe they almost blew that one.  Mnw musta went full on Will Muschamp in the second half.

I was at the game MNW up 17-0 in the 4th and pulled off a onside kick and then scored quick to make it 24-0.  Half the stadium left and missed Central go down swinging.... 

Side note ...It seemed that James Cook only touched the ball a couple times in the first half which was a surprise to me.

2 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I was at the game MNW up 17-0 in the 4th and pulled off a onside kick and then scored quick to make it 24-0.  Half the stadium left and missed Central go down swinging.... 

Side note ...It seemed that James Cook only touched the ball a couple times in the first half which was a surprise to me.

Central coaches are worse than ours! Lol... i want to see how he performs in college.. I think Dalvin has more heart and plays with more of a sense of urgency... wouldn't be surprised if he plays db in college. 

Just now, topnotch305 said:

Central coaches are worse than ours! Lol... i want to see how he performs in college.. I think Dalvin has more heart and plays with more of a sense of urgency... wouldn't be surprised if he plays db in college. 

I would agree with Dalvin being the stronger of the two....  James looked like he almost had a pick 6 tonight but could no pull it off.  I do think James Cook however was the best DB on Central this year and could likely transition well in college if needed..

Maybe it's the Atwell factor but MNW's Offense just looks more dynamic overall then Central.    To me Atwell is the most dangerous offensive weapon in the state.  

What is the future for Central at this point?  I believe they were very Senior heavy this year.   

57 minutes ago, topnotch305 said:

No way this game should've been this close smh... More than 8 points better than Central smh... I'll take the win but can't let up no more. Goes for players and coaches.... sidenote Dalvin>James

Dalvin Cook was the best high school RB I have ever watched play in my humble opinion