nolebull

badbird

4 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

...and that substance-free post proves my point.

Nothing about the game on the field. All about name-brand and past seasons.

Won't work with the guys who know CFla.

Name the #2 area in the state and we can debate. Every other area has fallen off and does not have the volume of good teams that Orange has. 

The only larger population centers - Jax/Tampa - both down. You could say Palm Beach / Broward but their publics lose by the same scores to the Miami teams that the 407 teams do. Orange County is bunched in 8A North - none of the good teams play in 6A or 7A.

Jones gave Cardinal Gibbons their only tough game outside of Southridge and AHP. Jones would've also been in close games with OC teams DP, Apopka, Winter Park, Wekiva & West Orange had they played. 

Not only that - these Orange teams are producing very, very good NCAA and NFL players at a rate they never did in the past.

Nolebull I know you like to play the alpha male online but as some would say "the lights are on but nobody is home" when you talk about Orange

You can't make that statement, none of the 407 teams play the top Miami schools

Almost all the good OC teams are in 8A, which features none of the top south FL programs, good ones, but not top. So it gives the illusion that they have a number of state level elite programs when in reality they just get to dodge the STA's, MC's, MNW's, etc. of South FL.

OC has a lot of good teams, but no elite ones, at least this year (not saying they haven't had any in years past)

All the population center counties Dade, Broward, PB, Hillsborough, Orange, Duvall put out elite talent

And the Cardinal Gibbons- Jones game was never in doubt. It was 20-7 CG at the end of 1, 30-16 CG at the half, and 40-24 CG after 3. Not necessarily a blowout, but the game was never in doubt. Certainly not a "tough" game, and CG was on the road

15 minutes ago, badbird said:

haha not butt hurt at all was just giving you a hard time.    Winter Park has been to the third round 8 times in their history and 3 times in the state semi's.  Two of those third round games were state semi's before they expanded the playoff system.  They have never made it to a state finals.  Now on a state level they are not Apopka, DP, Osceola or Mainland but they are definitely one of the top 10 programs in Central Florida year in and out.  I get you point they are not elite but no one said that.  However they are a pretty good team that is playing in the regional finals so instead of bashing them or calling you a clown I choose to give them a little credit for the job Coach Shifflet and his staff has done.

Wekiva is a newer program that picked up 9 Apopka transfers.  A good reason why they are probably where they are at right now.  They have an elite defense that would be considered one of the best in any part of the state.  Offensively they are above average.  Reminds me of a Flanagan a few years ago but not on the same level as them for sure.  In a down 8A if they come to play for the next 3 weeks they are a real threat.  

Everything you said I can get down with. Great post 

1 hour ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Top counties has to include...

Miami-Dade

Broward

Orange

Palm Beach

Brevard

Duval??? A Tampa county??? This is where it drops off. 

I'd definitely debate the top 5 or listen for anither county that I am missing

I would say 1. Dade 2. Broward (even in this down year) 3T. Orange/Hillsborough 4. PB

PB is not what it used to be from a teams standpoint, not talent.

Hillsborough is better than Brevard and about tied with Orange

12 minutes ago, badbird said:

haha not butt hurt at all was just giving you a hard time.    Winter Park has been to the third round 8 times in their history and 3 times in the state semi's.  Two of those third round games were state semi's before they expanded the playoff system.  They have never made it to a state finals.  Now on a state level they are not Apopka, DP, Osceola or Mainland but they are definitely one of the top 10 programs in Central Florida year in and out.  I get you point they are not elite but no one said that.  However they are a pretty good team that is playing in the regional finals so instead of bashing them or calling you a clown I choose to give them a little credit for the job Coach Shifflet and his staff has done.

Wekiva is a newer program that picked up 9 Apopka transfers.  A good reason why they are probably where they are at right now.  They have an elite defense that would be considered one of the best in any part of the state.  Offensively they are above average.  Reminds me of a Flanagan a few years ago but not on the same level as them for sure.  In a down 8A if they come to play for the next 3 weeks they are a real threat.  

Winter Park was one block in the back (a needless penalty as Cory Rabizinski was 20 plus yards ahead of the penalty on the way to the end zone) away from beating Palm Beach Gardens in the 2005 State Semifinal. WP ended up losing the game 10-7, as PBG kicked a field goal to break the tie as time expired. PBG went on crush Deerfield Beach the following week in the title game. 

I concur. Wekiva's defense is elite. Their offense is good but not elite. The winner of the Wekiva/Winter Park game has a good shot at beating the winner of DP/Riverview, and given the way the 8A South Bracket seems to be going, would probably have a decent shot in the State Title game also. 

That's as far as conversation has to go. Hillsborough produced some good teams. Plant has four state championships, Armwood has two, Jefferson, Blake, Jesuit, and defunct Pine Crest have titles. Hillsborough, Robinson, Brandon, Wharton, Chamberlain, TC and a few others have been to state championship games and lost. 

Duval is 3rd in the state. Just between Bolles, UC, and Trinity Christian they have to have 20 titles. Leon is no slouch either.

18 minutes ago, 181pl said:

That's as far as conversation has to go. Hillsborough produced some good teams. Plant has four state championships, Armwood has two, Jefferson, Blake, Jesuit, and defunct Pine Crest have titles. Hillsborough, Robinson, Brandon, Wharton, Chamberlain, TC and a few others have been to state championship games and lost. 

Duval is 3rd in the state. Just between Bolles, UC, and Trinity Christian they have to have 20 titles. Leon is no slouch either.

Ok are we talking most accomplished counties or who's better overall this year 

Duval would be up there in accomplishments but this year the teams are down from last year and next year don't look to be any better trend

Leon is 0-9 and in Tallahassee not Jacksonville and obviously their best days have come and gone

I'm currently busy but when i get more time I'll rank the counties from what i see

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Ok are we talking most accomplished counties or who's better overall this year 

Duval would be up there in accomplishments but this year the teams are down from last year and next year don't look to be any better trend

Leon is 0-9 and in Tallahassee not Jacksonville and obviously their best days have come and gone

I'm currently busy but when i get more time I'll rank the counties from what i see

I was talking about currently this season. Historically speaking overall, I can't really speak on the 20th century since Ive never watched 99.9% of those games, but from 2000ish-present Id say 

1. Dade

2. Broward

3. Palm Beach

4. Hillsborough

5. Duvall

6. Orange

7. Polk

8. Leon

Everyone else

11 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

...and that substance-free post proves my point.

Nothing about the game on the field. All about name-brand and past seasons.

Won't work with the guys who know CFla.

Jones gave Cardinal Gibbons their only tough game outside of Southridge and AHP. Jones would've also been in close games with OC teams DP, Apopka, Winter Park, Wekiva & West Orange had they played. 

Actually a top 3 Brevard county team gave Cardinal Gibbons a tougher game than Jones and that was Rockledge.