8A Regions 1 & 2

DarterBlue2

So it's Regional Finals time. And, I am hoping that the Orlando area (in this case Orange County only), can make it an all Orlando Semifinal next week giving us a guaranteed state finals berth.

Wekiva at Winter Park:

This game will be a battle between a very, very good defense attempting to shut down a creative offense. In the first meeting earlier in the season Winter Park triumphed in a defensive battle 10-6, scoring late in the forth quarter on a Wekiva tournover. However, a lot has happened since then. Specifically, Wekiva has a different individual at quarterback and this has led to a pickup in their scoring output. Winter Park comes into the game at 11-0 while Wekiva is 11-1 with their only loss being the regular season meeting with Winter Park. 

Wekiva will win if: 

1. It plays at the level it did against Lake Mary and Apopka as I believe they have the ability to score enough points to make it very difficult for Winter Park to match them given their stellar defense.
  2. It minimizes turnovers.
  3. It can hold Winter Park to 17 or fewer points.

Winter Park will win if:

1. It can score more than 28. Even at its best, I don't think Wekiva's offense is good for more than 28 against Winter Park.
  2. It can force turnovers.
  3. If Wekiva plays like it did against Lake Nona (which was a very average playoff team) or in the first half against Boone.

I am going to go with Winter Park by 3 or less in a hard fought game. I think home field advantage and more playoff experience will triumph over the more athletic, but less experienced team. Final score around Winter Park 21 Wekiva 20.

Dr. Phillips at Sarasota Riverview: 

This game will be a rematch of a first round playoff game that DP won easily last year. However, based on both their regular season performance and on the win against Vero Beach this Friday, it is pretty clear that Riverview is a better team this year than last. I would rate this year's DP team as about equal to last year's with the exception that I preferred last year's defense slightly. 

I think this game will be a nail biter and in the end I think it comes down to DP's more recent deep playoff experience. I am going with DP by 1 to 3 points. I think the final score will be in the region of:

Dr. Phillips 28 Sarasota Riverview 26. 

Both of the above games should be tight and it would not surprise me to see any of these four teams in the final 4 the following week.

I have not seen Riverview but if they can't throw and only run the option DP will slow them down.  I don't think Riverview can score more than 14.  So I will take DP 24-14.

Wekiva should have won the first game and is a lot better from when I saw them back then.  I also think Winter park is better.  I will take Wekiva 21-14.

53 minutes ago, badbird said:

I have not seen Riverview but if they can't throw and only run the option DP will slow them down.  I don't think Riverview can score more than 14.  So I will take DP 24-14.

Wekiva should have won the first game and is a lot better from when I saw them back then.  I also think Winter park is better.  I will take Wekiva 21-14.

I have not seen Riverview either. But I believe they do rely primarily on running the football. Apopka had quite a bit of success running the football against DP. I don't know whether Riverview's running game can match Apopka's, though.

At its best, Wekiva would probably overwhelm WP at this stage. However, in their last 4 games they have been all over the map. I am just not sure how they will play next Friday, what with he holiday and all. I believe WP will be at its best. Both teams have experienced coaching staffs. Somehow I feel WP's staff will have its kids better prepared.

Both outcomes should be interesting.

At this stage the Columbus/Miami High winner is probably the favorite to represent the South bracket. I do find Western's run to be inspiring, though. So, emotionally I am rooting for them to make it to Orlando.

Regardless of which two teams play in the final, at this stage the title is wide open.

Riverview has a downhill tough RB and running is their strength. They weapons and a great dual threat QB that can throw too. Riverview has had 5 players that have transferred to their school and they are all starters including the QB that started for Booker last year. I think RHS can put 25+ points on DP and will win a close game. Last years game RHS lost their QB during that game and he wasn't a runner to begin with. Riverview's QB this year is a Georgia Southern commit and ran on their state qualifying 4x100 relay team. Big difference.

My prediction RHS 27 DP 24

3 hours ago, badbird said:

The no. 8 kid from Riverview is smooth he can catch and swerve around tackles and shidd he made Vero miss like crazy he is the reason why Riverview scored the last TD of the game on a 3rd down