Vero Beach playoff trends

FloTech

After watching the Vero Beach vs Riverview game, here are my thoughts:

1. Riverview plays a very aggressive defense. And it paid off. Two of their touchdowns were directly attributable to this. A third touchdown was due to a great specials teams strip of the ball on a VB kick return. 

2. On offense, Riverview has a good, deceptive running game. Their principal runner # 22 is a good back and the QB is also a good runner, that keeps the ball a lot on fake hand-offs. 

3. When VB tied the game late in the fourth off a blocked three point attempt that was taken 69 yards for the score, the momentum seemed to have totally shifted to VB. On the ensuing kickoff by VB, Riverview fumbled the ball at their own 23. Unfortunately for VB, Riverview recovered the fumble and proceeded to drive downfield and score even though they had only about 2 minutes to do so.

Overall, Riverview is a good team. I am not convinced they were better than VB, but they took advantage of their opportunities and VB did not take advantage of some of theirs. 

If Dr. Phillips can quickly read the QB fake hand-offs and if their defensive front can stop # 22, then I think Phillips can contain them and has a chance to win against them even at their house, as I did not see much of a passing game from Riverview.  

On defense, Riverview reminds me a bit of Wekiva. Solid run and pass defense, which will not be easy to score on. 

All in all, I think that DP vs Riverview will be a low scoring game and I would not be surprised if 20 points by either team wins it. 

16 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

1. Riverview plays a very aggressive defense. And it paid off. Two of their touchdowns were directly attributable to this. A third touchdown was due to a great specials teams strip of the ball on a VB kick return. 

2. On offense, Riverview has a good, deceptive running game. Their principal runner # 22 is a good back and the QB is also a good runner, that keeps the ball a lot on fake hand-offs. 

3. When VB tied the game late in the fourth off a blocked three point attempt that was taken 69 yards for the score, the momentum seemed to have totally shifted to VB. On the ensuing kickoff by VB, Riverview fumbled the ball at their own 23. Unfortunately for VB, Riverview recovered the fumble and proceeded to drive downfield and score even though they had only about 2 minutes to do so.

Overall, Riverview is a good team. I am not convinced they were better than VB, but they took advantage of their opportunities and VB did not take advantage of some of theirs. 

If Dr. Phillips can quickly read the QB fake hand-offs and if their defensive front can stop # 22, then I think Phillips can contain them and has a chance to win against them even at their house, as I did not see much of a passing game from Riverview.  

On defense, Riverview reminds me a bit of Wekiva. Solid run and pass defense, which will not be easy to score on. 

All in all, I think that DP vs Riverview will be a low scoring game and I would not be surprised if 20 points by either team wins it. 

I don't think I will say Vero was the better team yes sure they put points up late but the whole key point is that Riverview had a 3rd and 12 and converted with a long short pass that put them at first and goal and then they scored a couple plays later..... Also it was a goal line stand and a blocked field goal that kept the Rams drom scoring 10 possible points gotta think about that too.

Most teams that were up on vero at the Citrus Bowl would lead to a Vero rally that would see Vero pull out the win, but this time it didn't happen because Riverview in my opinion kept their composure 

Keep in mind, Last years DP vs Riverview was 21-0 but DP only put together one scoring drive. Riverview fumbled on their own 8 yd line on a kickoff that DP recovered and scored a couple plays later and DP scored on another turnover in Riverview territory again. The score is a bit misleading. Riverview had a one-dimensional QB last year also. Riverview should beat DP on Friday

On 11/19/2017 at 8:31 AM, FloTech said:

Yes I am a fan graduated from there and played with them one year and everything I say about them is true Jon Santucci articles on TCPalm backs up this stuff with FACTS if u been involved with a program man u just know it like the back of your head smh now what u got to say to me

Not saying good or bad...just curious.  I am sure there are people who know VB Football better than I do.  

On 11/19/2017 at 6:20 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

I agree I think the overall team Vero was better, offense for Riverview I thought did a good job freezing the def and grinding it out but Vero the individual play cost us. It wasn’t missed blocks or tackles it was the turnovers including that horrible pick six. I watched the game finally on YouTube playback later this weekend the camera didn’t SHO the whole field but it looked like Vero had overloaded the right side of the field and someone was open the q.b though did a quick look and then threw to the left side right into the DB with nothing but grass in his way to the end zone. And on that kickoff fumble from what I saw he didn’t show much ball security at all. These individual plays back to back really took the wind out of the team. 

Also as far as game went here are my observations: Vero defense amazing fast sideline to sideline and riverview really got nothing going to outside or passing game for that matter...I blame coaches for not going away from the undersized three man front to a four man sooner than second half...riverview ate vero up right up the gut!! Riverview rb is a stud and hits the hole at full speed every play! Offensively jones are tackle has a bad knee and isn’t quick when he’s healthy and riverview saw the film and he was getting killed by speed rushers going right around him and Veros qb didn’t step up in the pocket all night keep rolling to the outside right into pressure...Veros wrs were open deep almost all night and if vero didn’t overthrow two and underthrow two that were wide open might have made difference! Akeem didn’t get going at all against riverview credit there defense for stopping him and totally eliminating the intermediate passing game! Their coaches drew up a great game plan and executed to perfection! At times it looked like Veros coaches were just not using a good game plan and when things were not going well were way too late to improvise! Overall riverview defense is very good running back is best I’ve seen this year and coaching staff of riverview out coached vero in all facets!