Questionable officiating

Panhandle Jet

Went to the PSJ- Blountstown game couldn't believe the officiating almost seems like PSJ wasn't meant to win when PSJ blocked the Field goal attempt by Blountstown and ran it in for a touchdown they went up 21-14 after then seems like the officials were told not to let PSJ win, do not remember Blountstown being called for holding the whole night.I think these were Panama City officials just couldn't believe how biased they were toward PSJ.At one point Blountstown player took a shot at PSJ QB long after ball had been thrown with head official standing within 6 feet. I do know Jordan is the best at intimidating officials and controlling game and that could have been what was going on just wandering.

Went to the PSJ- Blountstown game couldn't believe the officiating almost seems like PSJ wasn't meant to win when PSJ blocked the Field goal attempt by Blountstown and ran it in for a touchdown they went up 21-14 after then seems like the officials were told not to let PSJ win, do not remember Blountstown being called for holding the whole night.I think these were Panama City officials just couldn't believe how biased they were toward PSJ.At one point Blountstown player took a shot at PSJ QB long after ball had been thrown with head official standing within 6 feet. I do know Jordan is the best at intimidating officials and controlling game and that could have been what was going on just wandering.

I posted earlier on a national board.

What I've seen more and more of in these last few years are the Ref's injecting themselves into a game. A great game is where you see very few flags and penalties are never questioned. These last few years I have wondered if some of the Ref's are trying to fix scores... Hell, Miami had 19 flags when I stopped counting. Some college and High School games are the same way. It's flag after flag after flag....

20 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I posted earlier on a national board.

What I've seen more and more of in these last few years are the Ref's injecting themselves into a game. A great game is where you see very few flags and penalties are never questioned. These last few years I have wondered if some of the Ref's are trying to fix scores... Hell, Miami had 19 flags when I stopped counting. Some college and High School games are the same way. It's flag after flag after flag....

On its most basic level, football is a simple, straightforward sport. However, many of the  penalties are called at the discretion of the officials. Often, they the calls are not necessarily incorrect; however in following "the letter of the law," the spirit and intent of the game is lost.

So yes, some officials unnecessarily interject themselves into the game. I don't necessarily think that in many occasions they are trying to skew the result a particular way, though. 

Perhaps some of the rules need to be revisited/clarified ...  

It's all about the way you perceive the game and what side of the field your standing on. I have had thoughts of officials having a personal vendetta against our team or coach for what reason i never could come to a conclusion. When you love the game and the team it's just hard sometime to see it for what it really is. The officials will come and go but the rivalry is here to stay.

Just hate to see officials interject themselves into the outcome of a game especially a rivalry PSJ has a big defensive line for a 1A school but really never could get pressure on the QB like they did the first game.If officials neglect to call holding it progressively gets worse as the game goes on and this does change the momentum it allows a QB to throw the deep ball they normally have time to throw.But what really stood out was the personal foul penalties called against PSJ the one that stood out was the penalty when the PSJ player ran the blocked field goal back for a touchdown and puts his finger up to his helmet like to quiet the crowd and gets a 15 yard penalty which was given on the kickoff and gave Blountstown a short field they started from the 50. A couple series latter Blountstown intercepted the ball ran it back and did a superman dive into the end zone with nobody around but no penalty.

Could have been that the head official had a vendetta against John Palmer and PSJ they might have seen them during the regular season I saw where PSJ played a lot of the Bay County schools.The Fhsaa might look at getting officials outside of the area officials who haven't seen either team during regular season especially on big playoff games.

8 hours ago, TigerRed said:

It's all about the way you perceive the game and what side of the field your standing on. I have had thoughts of officials having a personal vendetta against our team or coach for what reason i never could come to a conclusion. When you love the game and the team it's just hard sometime to see it for what it really is. The officials will come and go but the rivalry is here to stay.

The side of the field you sit on... I watched Pahokee get flag after flag, and I wondered if the Refs were really seeing a penalty, or were they trying to see something because they have a flag quota. Flag after flag interrupts the flow of the game, and in the end causes bitterness toward the officials. For the sake of the game, let em play and throw flags when you have too, not when it kind of looked like he moved before the ball was hiked.

I didn't here a peep from the Pahokee fans after the Cocoa game on here about flags, but I noticed there were a lot of iffy flags. And yes, the Pahokee fans at the game did boo a couple times and I couldn't blame them. A couple of good plays were flagged and instead of gaining 25 yards they were penalized 5 or 10.

All I'm saying is that the Refs can ruin the game when they, 2 or 3 Refs, feel like they have to throw 5 or 6 flags a game.  I guess because of concussions and injuries the commish has passed down to the Refs they need to start throwing more flags???

I know I'm complaining, but I'm just losing the spirit for the game when I see so many flags against one or both teams during a game. 

My son was pass blocking on a play and the official behind him yelled "ball away, ball away, ball away"  he let his man go and the kid sacked the qb.  My son asked the ref "why did you do that" and he just smiled.  My son told him "that was fucked up, you got my qb killed and he's just a kid,  what are you trying to do"  he then threatened to eject my son for swearing. Later my son was flagged for a personal foul on a play when there was nobody within 10 yards of him.  It was the worst officiating I have ever seen at any level. The horsecollar call made by the ref across the field not the one trailing the play who was 5 yards from it when the psj player had him by the tail of his jersey.  Almost every big play in the 2nd half they called a penalty on. I honestly think Blountstown would have won on their own without the officials and I know last year the officiating  was almost as bad going against Blountstown when they played Baker in the playoffs.  For the officials to make a game about them rather than letting it play out on the field is pathetic.  Congratulations to Blountstown and good luck.

No conspiracy, just bad officiating. At the Western/Palm Beach Central game, PBC got called for a ton of penalties, a lot of the calls, they earned. They hurt themselves with 2-3 big plays that were called back by penalties. But on the other hand, Western had 2 touchdowns called back bc of penalties. Of course fans on both sides thought the refs were slanted towards the other team. My question is, why would the FHSAA want Western to go to state? lol you'd think if they were to rig, they'd rig in a more traditional power's favor.

36 minutes ago, DB4 said:

No conspiracy, just bad officiating. At the Western/Palm Beach Central game, PBC got called for a ton of penalties, a lot of the calls, they earned. They hurt themselves with 2-3 big plays that were called back by penalties. But on the other hand, Western had 2 touchdowns called back bc of penalties. Of course fans on both sides thought the refs were slanted towards the other team. My question is, why would the FHSAA want Western to go to state? lol you'd think if they were to rig, they'd rig in a more traditional power's favor.

Would Western bring a big crowd? Cypress Bay brought a decent crowd to Orlando in 2012. A big crowd would be  one sure reason. I have no idea what the answer is, just asking.

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Would Western bring a big crowd? Cypress Bay brought a decent crowd to Orlando in 2012. A big crowd would be  one sure reason. I have no idea what the answer is, just asking.

If that's the case then you would think officals would be trying to get Columbia to state because the last time we went we brought over 10k fans 

Ijs

I don't think its a plot by the FHSAA. Its the Officials. Anything thing can trigger an Official to be against a team. It could be something he saw before the game (like someone taking a knee during the anthem), or something yelled from that particular sideline. I have seen plenty of officials make calls based on emotions. Its sad and they are human, but it happens a lot. 

8 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

I don't think its a plot by the FHSAA. Its the Officials. Anything thing can trigger an Official to be against a team. It could be something he saw before the game (like someone taking a knee during the anthem), or something yelled from that particular sideline. I have seen plenty of officials make calls based on emotions. Its sad and they are human, but it happens a lot. 

That is a sad situation. But you are probably at least partially correct. 

15 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

I remember Madison game this year we didn't shake hands apparently (i not sure as i wasn't paying attention but it was mentioned on here) and the refs favored Madison all night so some things rub officals the wrong way 

Officals don't like Columbia even though we are always nice to them

We give them water during timeout and water breaks

We make them comfortable and even get them water bottles before games and even give a friendly hello when they enter the stadium 

Then they give us 200 yards of penalties by end of the night

:(:(

The worst one sided officiated game I've ever witnessed was the 2007 4A championship in Orlando between Miami's Booker T Washington and Ponte Vedra Nease. The game officials were from the Southeast Association (Panama City). A vastly superior BTW won the game 23-15 but Nease was in it until the final minutes with timely penalties to keep drives alive and flags against BTW trying to extend their lead. Still ticked off the next day, I fired off a blistering email to a high ranking FHSAA official challenging him to view a replay of the game. He assured me that it would be looked into. I think he blew me off, in a sincerely professional way, but it did have a calming effect.  :)     

9 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

The worst one sided officiated game I've ever witnessed was the 2007 4A championship in Orlando between Miami's Booker T Washington and Ponte Vedra Nease. The game officials were from the Southeast Association (Panama City). A vastly superior BTW won the game 23-15 but Nease was in it until the final minutes with timely penalties to keep drives alive and flags against BTW trying to extend their lead. Still ticked off the next day, I fired off a blistering email to a high ranking FHSAA official challenging him to view a replay of the game. He assured me that it would be looked into. I think he blew me off, in a sincerely professional way, but it did have a calming effect.  :)     

Seems like southeast officials association has a history then

Nobody ever likes the officials, ever.... they ultimately have the ability to affect the game, but if you false start, if you are offside, if you grab a facemask, these things will be called. I have seen refs let calls go, seen them call everything, the question is are they being consistent on those calls. Every call is ultimately a judgement call in every sport, thus it always easy to think the refs are wrong 

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

Nobody ever likes the officials, ever.... they ultimately have the ability to affect the game, but if you false start, if you are offside, if you grab a facemask, these things will be called. I have seen refs let calls go, seen them call everything, the question is are they being consistent on those calls. Every call is ultimately a judgement call in every sport, thus it always easy to think the refs are wrong 

Way i see it is if the penalty didn't impead the play then leave it be

2 hours ago, Sharkbait said:

I don't think it has something to do with fhsaa,just certain officiating crews.  I talked to one of our coaches Sunday and he said it was even more obvious on film than it was live.  

I agree. Just to chime in - one of the worst officiated games I have encountered in recent history was this last 8A playoff game between Columbus and South Dade. It was a Broward crew. Don't think they were overly one-sided, but Columbus got some REALLY bad calls. Must have been 300 yards in penalties for both teams. Slowest game in seasons.

37 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

I have noticed traditionally "black" schools getting flagged more in games when you have an all white officiating crew.