Consolidate 1A-4A

badbird

The games aren't even interesting.  In the regional finals only 1 game was decided by less than 13 points.

In 1A the closest game was 14 points in a game Pahokee probably should have won by a lot more.  The average margin of victory was 27.25 points.

In 2A we had a 13 point game and the average margin of victory was 28.5 points.

In 3A the closest game was 13 points and the average margin of victory was 30.25.

In 4A the closest game was 3 points and the average margin of victory 27.25 points.

Overall 28.3 margin of victory.  

I don't disagree with you, but there are several constituencies that would scream bloody, blue murder if consolidation was done. An example would be the rural public schools.

Perhaps we could consolidate into two or three classes and get rid of one or two. But that would have to be very carefully thought out to get all parties on board.

17 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Hmm, think you need to wait another week because there's going to be some blowouts in the state semi's..and when I say blowouts, I mean far worse than what you've seen so far. 

no need to wait Jessica.  The only good thing is we might get a decent 3A final after another week of blowouts.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I don't disagree with you, but there are several constituencies that would scream bloody, blue murder if consolidation was done. An example would be the rural public schools.

Perhaps we could consolidate into two or three classes and get rid of one or two. But that would have to be very carefully thought out to get all parties on board.

Darter they use to be in there with them and cried to get out.  Champagnat is the highest ranked 2A school and ranked 54 in the state by maxpreps.  Madison and Pahokee could compete with them.  The problem is people just want to be handed a state title and will cry when they get their ass beat by a better team and say they cheat or they don't belong in their class.  Dixie County is crying right now about Madison.  Baker cried about Pahokee last year.  It will never be 100% fair.  Let's at least make it competitive again and not so watered down.  I will try and put a list together and see what I can come up with.

I moved all 3A into 1A or 2A and some 4A in to 1A and 2A.  Move the rest of to 5A and the even out 5A-8A.

1A (51 teams)

Cocoa beach

Interlachen

Keystone heights

Marianna

North bay haven

Umatilla

Walton

Baldwin

Florida High

Fort White

Newberry

Taylor County

Taylor

Marathon

Trenton

Munroe

Moore Haven

Baker

Bozeman

Chipley

Freeport

Graceville

Holmes County

Jay

Northview

Vernon

Blountstown

Cottondale

Franklin County

Jefferson County

Liberty County

Port St. Joe

Sneads

Wewahitchka

Bell

Branford

Chiefland

Dixie County

Hamilton County

Hilliard

Lafayette

Madison County

Union County

Bronson

Crescent City

Fort Meade

Frostproof

Hawthorne

Pahokee

Wildwood

Williston

2A (73 teams)

Episcopal

Pensacola Catholic

Providence

Cardinal Newman

Father Lopez

First Academy

Holy Trinity

Kings Academy

Melbourne Central Catholic

Oxbridge Academy

Trinity Prep

Berkeley Prep

Calvary Christian 

Cardinal Mooney

Clearwater Central Catholic

Lakeland Christian

St. Petersburg Catholic

Tampa Catholic

Trinity Catholic

American Heritage 

Benjamin

Calvary Christian 

Chaminade-Madonna

Everglades Prep

Palm Glades Prep

Palmer Trinity

Pinecrest Prep

Somerset Charter 

St. Andrews

St. John Paul II

Westminster Academy

Westminster Christian

Aucilla Christian

Cedar Creek Christian

Eagles View

FAMU

John Paul II

Maclay

North Florida Christian

North Florida Educational

Rocky Bayou Christian

University Christian

Agape

Cornerstone Charter

Foundation Academy

Halifax

Merritt Island Christian

Oak Hall

Seven Rivers Christian

St. Francis

St. John Lutheran

St. Joseph

Trinity Christian (Deltona)

trinity Christian Jacksonville

Victory Christian

Warner Christian

Zephyrhills Christian

Admiral Farragut

Cambridge Christian

Carrollwood

Evangelical Christian

Indian Rocks Christian

Keswick Christian

Northside Christian

Seffner Christian

Southwest Florida Christian

Champagnat

Community School

Dade Christian

First Baptist

Glades Day

Marco Island Academy

St. John Neumann

8 minutes ago, badbird said:

I moved all 3A into 1A or 2A and some 4A in to 1A and 2A.  Move the rest of to 5A and the even out 5A-8A.

1A (51 teams)

Cocoa beach

Interlachen

Keystone heights

Marianna

North bay haven

Umatilla

Walton

Baldwin

Florida High

Fort White

Newberry

Taylor County

Taylor

Marathon

Trenton

Munroe

Moore Haven

Baker

Bozeman

Chipley

Freeport

Graceville

Holmes County

Jay

Northview

Vernon

Blountstown

Cottondale

Franklin County

Jefferson County

Liberty County

Port St. Joe

Sneads

Wewahitchka

Bell

Branford

Chiefland

Dixie County

Hamilton County

Hilliard

Lafayette

Madison County

Union County

Bronson

Crescent City

Fort Meade

Frostproof

Hawthorne

Pahokee

Wildwood

Williston

2A (74 teams)

Episcopal

Pensacola Catholic

Providence

Taylor County

Cardinal Newman

Father Lopez

First Academy

Holy Trinity

Kings Academy

Oxbridge Academy

Trinity Prep

Berkeley Prep

Calvary Christian 

Cardinal Mooney

Lakeland Christian

St. Petersburg Catholic

Tampa Catholic

Trinity Catholic

American Heritage 

Benjamin

Calvary Christian 

Chaminade-Madonna

Everglades Prep

Palm Glades Prep

Palmer Trinity

Pinecrest Prep

Somerset Charter 

St. Andrews

St. John Paul II

Westminster Academy

Westminster Christian

Aucilla Christian

Cedar Creek Christian

Eagles View

FAMU

John Paul II

Maclay

North Florida Christian

Rocky Bayou Christian

University Christian

Agape

Cornerstone Charter

Foundation Academy

Halifax

Merritt Island Christian

Oak Hall

Seven Rivers Christian

St. Francis

St. John Lutheran

St. Joseph

Victory Christian

Warner Christian

Zephyrhills Christian

Admiral Farragut

Cambridge Christian

Carrollwood

Evangelical Christian

Indian Rocks Christian

Keswick Christian

Northside Christian

Seffner Christian

Champagnat

Community School

Dade Christian

First Baptist

Glades Day

Marco Island Academy

St. John Neumann

Looks good to me.  8 state champions is too many, go back to 5 classes and go to evenly numbered districts and regions

15 minutes ago, badbird said:

1A (51 teams)

Cocoa beach

Interlachen

Keystone heights

Marianna

North bay haven

Umatilla

Walton

Baldwin

Florida High

Fort White

Newberry

Taylor County

Taylor

Marathon

Trenton

Munroe

Moore Haven

Baker

Bozeman

Chipley

Freeport

Graceville

Holmes County

Jay

Northview

Vernon

Blountstown

Cottondale

Franklin County

Jefferson County

Liberty County

Port St. Joe

Sneads

Wewahitchka

Bell

Branford

Chiefland

Dixie County

Hamilton County

Hilliard

Lafayette

Madison County

Union County

Bronson

Crescent City

Fort Meade

Frostproof

Hawthorne

Pahokee

Wildwood

Williston

2A (74 teams)

Episcopal

Pensacola Catholic

Providence

Taylor County

Cardinal Newman

Father Lopez

First Academy

Holy Trinity

Kings Academy

Oxbridge Academy

Trinity Prep

Berkeley Prep

Calvary Christian 

Cardinal Mooney

Lakeland Christian

St. Petersburg Catholic

Tampa Catholic

Trinity Catholic

American Heritage 

Benjamin

Calvary Christian 

Chaminade-Madonna

Everglades Prep

Palm Glades Prep

Palmer Trinity

Pinecrest Prep

Somerset Charter 

St. Andrews

St. John Paul II

Westminster Academy

Westminster Christian

Aucilla Christian

Cedar Creek Christian

Eagles View

FAMU

John Paul II

Maclay

North Florida Christian

Rocky Bayou Christian

University Christian

Agape

Cornerstone Charter

Foundation Academy

Halifax

Merritt Island Christian

Oak Hall

Seven Rivers Christian

St. Francis

St. John Lutheran

St. Joseph

Victory Christian

Warner Christian

Zephyrhills Christian

Admiral Farragut

Cambridge Christian

Carrollwood

Evangelical Christian

Indian Rocks Christian

Keswick Christian

Northside Christian

Seffner Christian

Champagnat

Community School

Dade Christian

First Baptist

Glades Day

Marco Island Academy

St. John Neumann

I would swap Merritt island Christian with cocoa beach and I'm wondering why you dropped Jax trinity Christian from 5A to 2A?

37 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

I would swap Merritt island Christian with cocoa beach and I'm wondering why you dropped Jax trinity Christian from 5A to 2A?

because Trinity Christian should be in 3A.  they moved up to be in a district.  Isn't Merrit island Christian private?  Cocoa beach is public

30 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

1A and 2A are fine, they present unique situations that deserve a chance at fair play. Rural schools were tired of having a decent team and running into Trinity Christian or Bolles or Ocala Trinity Catholic.

Now an argument could be made in consolidating 3A-8A by 1. Still think a relegation promotion system is answer.

I been working on something and I'll show you once i fix a few kinks I'm having 

17 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

So you expect a true rural 200 student enrollment school to compete against a school with 1000 students??? 

Seems like the "haves" are always complaining!!

Not sure what you mean.  I'm definitely not a have.  I'm just looking for more competitive games and not so many classes.  Fewer classes mean less opportunities which means if I was a have I would have less of a chance.  I went to a school with a student population of under 300.  The current 1A is up to around 650 students.  I know Frostproof has around that many.  I expanded the list to include up to 800 to make it larger.  Cypress Creek in orlando has 3500 kids and they couldn't compete with Madison County or any of the top schools in 1A.  Population matters some but for the most part it has very little to do with the product on the field. 

You don't have to agree and can like the current system.  I'm ok with that.  I for one think it is way too watered down in all sports not just football.  

38 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

1A and 2A are fine, they present unique situations that deserve a chance at fair play. Rural schools were tired of having a decent team and running into Trinity Christian or Bolles or Ocala Trinity Catholic.

Now an argument could be made in consolidating 3A-8A by 1. Still think a relegation promotion system is answer.

I didn't put any of those in 1A.  I added a few smaller public schools to make it larger.  They should not be in there with those schools.  I 100% agree with that.

40 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

if you want the best competition I agree.  I just think it cheapens the state title in all classes but the largest.  If I'm the small class champ hey I'm the best of all the crappy teams.  Yeah for me.   Kind of like being the tallest midget.

3 minutes ago, badbird said:

if you want the best competition I agree.  I just think it cheapens the state title in all classes but the largest.  If I'm the small class champ hey I'm the best of all the crappy teams.  Yeah for me.   Kind of like being the tallest midget.

Truthfully if you put every elite team in 1 class then the others are watered down and you will have great teams never sniff a title while a average team 2 classes lower would win state 

The levels need to be balanced not just throw every elite in 1 class

9 minutes ago, badbird said:

Not sure what you mean.  I'm definitely not a have.  I'm just looking for more competitive games and not so many classes.  Fewer classes mean less opportunities which means if I was a have I would have less of a chance.  I went to a school with a student population of under 300.  The current 1A is up to around 650 students.  I know Frostproof has around that many.  I expanded the list to include up to 800 to make it larger.  Cypress Creek in orlando has 3500 kids and they couldn't compete with Madison County or any of the top schools in 1A.  Population matters some but for the most part it has very little to do with the product on the field. 

You don't have to agree and can like the current system.  I'm ok with that.  I for one think it is way too watered down in all sports not just football.  

How much a impact are you expecting from the open enrollment in other sports? 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Truthfully if you put every elite team in 1 class then the others are watered down and you will have great teams never sniff a title while a average team 2 classes lower would win state 

The levels need to be balanced not just throw every elite in 1 class

I agree which is why we need to reduce the classes and make districts larger.  Reducing the classes will make it more competitive.  More good teams will be in every class  

Pinko's predictions for the state semi finals 1A-4A.  Only 2 out of 8 games expected to be close.  

CLASS 4A (State Semifinals)
Raines 27 over Bradford
Cocoa 20 over University School

CLASS 3A (State Semifinals)
Oxbridge Academy 24 over Florida High
Chaminade-Madonna 13 over Clearwater Central Catholic

CLASS 2A (State Semifinals)
University Christian 1 over Victory Christian
Champagnat Catholic 19 over Cambridge Christian

CLASS 1A (State Semifinals)
Baker 1 over Blountstown
Madison County 20 over Pahokee

16 minutes ago, badbird said:

For me any school with the same amount of students should be competitive. Instead of switching from this system to that system. Hold the schools accountable and get proper coaching to the school. There is no way a school with 3500 students not be able to put a quality product on the field. Put the right coach in there and the kids will come out and be competitive. 

I dont like the current system. But I dont like the idea of my school with 200 or so kids be in a class with 1000+ kids. 

1 minute ago, blackmagic said:

For me any school with the same amount of students should be competitive. Instead of switching from this system to that system. Hold the schools accountable and get proper coaching to the school. There is no way a school with 3500 students not be able to put a quality product on the field. Put the right coach in there and the kids will come out and be competitive. 

I dont like the current system. But I dont like the idea of my school with 200 or so kids be in a class with 1000+ kids. 

so where is your cutoff?  800? 600?  or do we put them back with private schools who also have under 600.  If it is all about # of students then playing Trinity Christian with 428 students shouldn't be a concern.  I would rather play Cypress Creek with 3500 lol.  I don't think rural should be with private but I think that 650 number should be bumped up a bit to 800 to expand the number of teams.  

4 hours ago, badbird said:

because Trinity Christian should be in 3A.  they moved up to be in a district.  Isn't Merrit island Christian private?  Cocoa beach is public

Yea but look at what Trinity Christian is doing in 5A. They were unstoppable in 3A and would still be in that consolidated class besides this season they would lose to Chaminade. Yes Merritt Island Christian is private but they are no match for none of those teams in both of those consolidated classes. Atleast Cocoa Beach would put up points. MIC has only won about 2 or 3 games in the past 5 seasons combined