Who wins the group of death this year? (8A)

954gator

5 hours ago, FLABOY941 said:

I think Riverview can take 8A this year. They are loaded with transfers. Very solid on both sides of the ball. In my opinion, 8A is a weak this year.

In regards to 8A South, I would say 2016 Southridge was probably as good or better then anything going this year however, I feel the depth of 8A South is surely better this year, then last year - more very good teams.

I do like the mix this year in 8A South though

Miami High -  Lightning in a bottle offense, can they do it for two more games to Orlando ?

Columbus - Coolest cat of the bunch , not their first rodeo, probably should be the favorites to Orlando.

Atlantic -  Loaded with talent and trying to get over that Broward/Dade mountain.  Can they handle the pressure?  Is this finally the year?

Western - Have backed their hype and then then some.  Another road win in the playoffs , you might have to call this bunch a team of destiny!

2 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

In regards to 8A South, I would say Southridge was probably as good or better then anything going this year however, I feel the depth of 8A South is surely better this year, then last year - more very good teams.

Miami High -  Lightning in a bottle offense, can they do it for two more games to Orlando ?

Columbus - Coolest cat of the bunch , not their first rodeo, probably should be the favorites to Orlando.

Atlantic -  Loaded with talent and trying to get over that Broward/Dade mountain.  Can they handle the pressure?  Is this finally the year?

Western - Have backed their hype and then some.  Another road win in the playoffs , you might have to call this bunch a team of destiny!

Well my numbers support that the best overall class in Florida is 8a (really not a surprise but still impressive)

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well my numbers support that the best overall class in Florida is 8a (really not a surprise but still impressive)

There are surely harder individual back to back games out there in other classes  but winning 8A States is usually the hardest 5 game stretch.  It usually gets harder every week to win like it is supposed to in the playoffs....

On November 21, 2017 at 3:21 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

I will give my answer when I see the four semifinal teams. Too much fluctuation from one week to the next in this class.

That's what makes it tough!   I gotta go with @badbird and @Zoe Boy on this one.   I like the winner of the Columbus/Miami Game.   I think Mr. Ford and the Stingarees edge out a close one against Columbus this week.  

Still, it's dart game right now trying to pick this.   

2 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Fun fact on the second round playoff games in 8A last week.    Seven of the eight games were won by a touchdown or less, and the one game outside of that was a 14 pt win.   Just Awesome!     

That's because 8a is the most balanced classification 

You don't have to have every class with elite teams to make playoffs competitive 

You only need balance in the class and not have 1 clearcut favorite 

I'm working on a system that would accomplish that goal and remove these small districts 

In fact i don't think i have any District with less than 5 teams

18 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

In regards to 8A South, I would say 2016 Southridge was probably as good or better then anything going this year however, I feel the depth of 8A South is surely better this year, then last year - more very good teams.

Western - Have backed their hype and then then some.  Another road win in the playoffs , you might have to call this bunch a team of destiny!

You nailed it with Western early on, and again you were right about Deerfield.  I really thought they would turn a corner this year and make a little noise in the playoffs, but....nope.   

7 hours ago, 954gator said:

You nailed it with Western early on, and again you were right about Deerfield.  I really thought they would turn a corner this year and make a little noise in the playoffs, but....nope.   

Unfortunately for DFB as good as they have looked at times over the last few years, they have very few playoff wins to show for it.....

Deerfield was extremely Senior heavy this year, but does have lots of young talent coming up on both sides ofthe ball (no surprise)  .  They solve their QB problem with one of the top upcoming QBs in SFL, a very solid Center in Bostic returning, have a McDougal WR who will be a JR next year, and RB Knighton who will be JR next year. Defensively they have Eaford returning as a SR at DE,  a secondary of solid corners returning as JRs/SRs and a solid Kicker returning as a SR.  Factor in inbounds like always and you have what will make DFB another contender in 2018......

DFB almost always runs their District.  Douglas, Monarch, and Coral Springs should be a little better next year,  Taravella will be average at best and you can stick a fork in Piper going forward for a while.

Deerfield was extremely Senior heavy this year, but does have lots of young talent coming up on both sides ofthe ball (no surprise)  .  They solve their QB problem with one of the top upcoming QBs in SFL, a very solid Center in Bostic returning, have a McDougal WR who will be a JR next year, and RB Knighton who will be JR next year. Defensively they have Eaford returning as a SR at DE,  a secondary of solid corners returning as JRs/SRs and a solid Kicker returning as a SR.  Factor in inbounds like always and you have what will make DFB another contender in 2018......

Problem is they seem to be a contender every year only to have a early exit 

What hurts them the most in playoffs that prevents deep runs? 

26 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Problem is they seem to be a contender every year only to have a early exit 

What hurts them the most in playoffs that prevents deep runs? 

In a nut shell District 8A-12 is what is preventing it. Between Western, Cypress Bay, Plantation, Miramar, and Flanagan over the years it has been rough seas in the early rounds for DFB...

I believe 2016 was the only year (and by the skin of their teeth)  that they ever got by two teams back to back ,out of that District in the first 2 rounds since 8A started up.

On 11/22/2017 at 7:40 AM, 954gator said:

That's what makes it tough!   I gotta go with @badbird and @Zoe Boy on this one.   I like the winner of the Columbus/Miami Game.   I think Mr. Ford and the Stingarees edge out a close one against Columbus this week.  

Still, it's dart game right now trying to pick this.   

So here is what I see. In the South bracket, I got Miami High winning over Atlantic by around 35-27.

In the North I got Wekiva beating Dr. Phillips for the second time this season. I expect this game to be closer as DP has a ton more playoff experience. However, having seen the first game, and both teams play since then, I strongly feel Wekiva is the best 8A north team. I see a final score of, Wekiva 28 Dr. Phillips 21.

In the 8A final, which I see being between Wekiva and Miami High, I think Wekiva ends it Cinderella season as the 8A champion. I will  call this Wekiva 21 Miami High 14. Aside from the Lake Nona game, Wekiva's defense has been stellar all season with two/three former Blue Darters starting on it. I think their defense combined with an improved, if not great offense will be enough to win the school's first football state championship. 

23 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

So here is what I see. In the South bracket, I got Miami High winning over Atlantic by around 35-27.

In the North I got Wekiva beating Dr. Phillips for the second time this season. I expect this game to be closer as DP has a ton more playoff experience. However, having seen the first game, and both teams play since then, I strongly feel Wekiva is the best 8A north team. I see a final score of, Wekiva 28 Dr. Phillips 21.

In the 8A final, which I see being between Wekiva and Miami High, I think Wekiva ends it Cinderella season as the 8A champion. I will  call this Wekiva 21 Miami High 14. Aside from the Lake Nona game, Wekiva's defense has been stellar all season with two/three former Blue Darters starting on it. I think their defense combined with an improved, if not great offense will be enough to win the school's first football state championship. 

If Wekiva should win states this year , does it possibly  attract more transfers or inbound 8th graders from the Apopka area?

It seems as if the Wekiva program has been creeping up the ladder a bit every year of late.  If they win states would say they may be grounded in the area as a potential upcoming 8A power in the future?

If Wekiva should win states this year , does it possibly  attract more transfers or inbound 8th graders from the Apopka area?

It seems as if the Wekiva program has been creeping up the ladder a bit every year of late.  If they win states would say they may be grounded in the area as a potential upcoming 8A power in the future?

If they do they may become another viera which will make 8a north that much better but apopka will still get fair share 

Just now, BrowardHandicapper said:

They might. They have 9 or 10 former Apopka players on their roster this year. And between 4 and 6 either start or get a lot of playing time on a regular basis.  They also have a very experienced coaching staff. A big chunk of the staff were at Edgewater 2002-2006 when Edgewater was a state contender in the largest class and the head coach was at Edgewater in 2014 when they upset Apopka in the final regular season game and took Mainland to the wire in the second round of the playoffs. 

Technically speaking because both schools are at capacity, Apopka kids should not be able to transfer there (or vice versa) per Orange County School Board rules unless they make a full move. But you know how it goes. I am pretty sure that at least some of the former Apopka players still reside at their old addresses. Depending on where the kid lives, going to Wekiva could add anything from a mile or two to the commute to an additional 8 or more miles. 

We will see in how this plays out over the next few months. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

They might. They have 9 or 10 former Apopka players on their roster this year. And between 4 and 6 either start or get a lot of playing time on a regular basis.  They also have a very experienced coaching staff. A big chunk of the staff were at Edgewater 2002-2006 when Edgewater was a state contender in the largest class and the head coach was at Edgewater in 2014 when they upset Apopka in the final regular season game and took Mainland to the wire in the second round of the playoffs. 

Technically speaking because both schools are at capacity, Apopka kids should not be able to transfer there (or vice versa) per Orange County School Board rules unless they make a full move. But you know how it goes. I am pretty sure that at least some of the former Apopka players still reside at their old addresses. Depending on where the kid lives, going to Wekiva could add anything from a mile or two to the commute to an additional 8 or more miles. 

We will see in how this plays out over the next few months. 

I'm very intrigued with that potential shift or alteration in power along with the new school opening in Osceola's back yard, as to how that may shift power there.  I will keep an eye on that and please keep the news or your opinion on those scenarios coming as they may change the shape of 8A North football a bit...

It's going to be an amazing game.

Last one went like this:

0-0 midway thru fourth quarter. DP goes for it on fourth down from their own 38 and doesn't get it. 

Wekiva scores on a long run, 7-0.

Time winding down, DP throws a pick 6. 14-0 Wekiva.

As an unbiased observer I agree with Darter about Wekiva being the state favorite.

However, this DP team can score on any play and their defense should fare well against Wekiva. This game will come down to - here it comes - 3 or 4 plays.

Last time (early October) I'm not sure either team surpassed 100 yards. That was the first time DP has been shut out since a loss to Apopka in 2006.

For many, many, many interconnected reasons, I want DP to win. But I can't call it. I'll go 14-13 with the winner beating Miami High