Transfer Season 2018

Zoe Boy

1 hour ago, MuckCityChamp said:

Maybe a few, but the attraction to Dwyer is not as hot anymore. Especially with Oxbridge being right down the road. Also, Gardens has been pulling more in than Dwyer lately. Benjamin is also near Dwyer, but the talk is the Elam kid is heading to Oxbridge. 

Among other schools, Elam's got offers from top academics like Columbia, Duke, Stanford, Vanderbilt.

10 hours ago, MuckCityChamp said:

Maybe a few, but the attraction to Dwyer is not as hot anymore. Especially with Oxbridge being right down the road. Also, Gardens has been pulling more in than Dwyer lately. Benjamin is also near Dwyer, but the talk is the Elam kid is heading to Oxbridge. 

Oxbridge will not be able to compete with schools like Dwyer in the Transfer season, Oxbridge admissions is pretty tight grip when it comes to who they let in espicially in the months most kids make their moves (Jan-May) I can't remember kid transferring into Oxbridge between that time because of their admissions process. So don't expect any movement there with that program they will pretty much sit back and do their best to keep their current kids there over the past couple of years they have loss over 10 players to other programs and I mean really good players. Expect them to bring in a few around June or July. Dwyer will be super aggressive like always because of the down year Palm Beach Gardens had they may gain a few from them as well as Palm Beach Lakes because of there down year as well but I don't see them getting a bunch of transfers but I do se them getting more 9th grade kids than usual because of the three issues I mentioned (Oxbridge in take process, Gardens and Lakes down year) majority of the Riviera beach kids will probably go to Dwyer. Don't expect the Elam kid to go any where I think the success and attention he is getting playing at the low level its no need to go to a public school at this point and I definitely don't see him enrolling into Oxbridge. Look for Atlantic to gain with the issues at American Heritage and the firing of coach Davis at Boca High but over the next couple of months should be interesting where kids move to. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing there was a mass exodus of athletes out of Calvary Christian (Clearwater). According to Ethan White's twitter he is now enrolled at Superior Academy. Calvary was thought to be the team with the money, finances, facilities and coaching to upend CCC as the top small school private school program in Tampa Bay, but word is quite a few kids transferred out since yesterday.  I can only confirm Ethan White right now and rather not speculate on the others, but as I hear and confirm things I'll post about the others.

19 hours ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

Is it just me or is transferring becoming like high school national signing day? Hoping your tean has quality players transfer to your school 

Reminds me more of NFL free agency. Good chance you'll also lose 1-2 kids in addition to getting some. STA knew what opening they had to fill with QB lol

21 hours ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

Is it just me or is transferring becoming like high school national signing day? Hoping your tean has quality players transfer to your school 

On 12/21/2017 at 2:37 PM, Mashburns said:

It sucks but this the generation or climate of high school sports today. Really look at the examples they have in front of them, college football this year over 5 or 6 coaches left their programs to join another one which they feel is better I'm guessing. But when kids leave programs to join another they get rewarded so that sends the wrong message that the grass is greener. The Aydin kid that left Atlantic and transferred to Deerfield Beach got offered by Ohio State the very next day so whats that saying to the other kids that are trying to be loyal to their program? C.M last season had 10 plus transfers and won state with that team. Saint Thomas has 10 plus every year and are ranked in the country and playing games far as Las Vegas, so I think it's plenty of variables that contribute to what we see going on now in High School football. 

Fascinating articles below.  Catholic schools are in a position to take the high ground.  The DC area attempted to impose sanctions, ie sit out one year after transfer, but implementation has has been poor. 

Private schools, including Catholic schools, rely heavily on alumni benefactors for donations and endowments.  In that sense, alumni have influence when voicing their opinions.  I have done so at high levels, and I would encourage those of you affiliated with private schools to do the same.  Specifically, I questioned how enabling this ridiculous merry-go-round of transfers is in alignment with the values of the religious founders of the school.   As I learned, those at the highest levels of school administrations may not be completely aware of the extent of the craziness that is hs football today.   

Concerning public schools, I am sure there are administrative costs associated with these transfers, and as taxpayers we have a right and an obligation to make our political leaders aware of the waste of public funding to support the "campaigns" of individual athletes.  In my eyes, they are using the school system.  I cannot say I blame a poor kid for doing so, though.  We haven't provided an alternative.  It's a shame kids feel they need to go to this extent to get ahead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/has-the-wcac-lost-its-way-schisms-grow-in-catholic-high-school-league/2016/02/19/2f8030d2-d414-11e5-b195-2e29a4e13425_story.html?utm_term=.ab0fdd8ea447

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/in-district-high-schools-athletic-based-transfers-are-becoming-an-alarming-trend/2013/12/03/629a192a-5af3-11e3-801f-1f90bf692c9b_story.html?utm_term=.ce5a61e5e4a8

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/elite-high-school-football-players-transfer

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Somebody please help this old fart understand something. Forgive me for being out of touch. 

I notice a lot of kids tweet notes such as these.  Is it the practice today for kids to send such tweets instead of thanking individuals in person?  If so, that's really disappointing.    

I'm sure some thank in person prior to tweet but yes some do say their goodbyes over social media 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Somebody please help this old fart understand something. Forgive me for being out of touch. 

I notice a lot of kids tweet notes such as these.  Is it the practice today for kids to send such tweets instead of thanking individuals in person?  If so, that's really disappointing.    

19 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm sure some thank in person prior to tweet but yes some do say their goodbyes over social media 

I am amazed at how some of our youth today lack certain basic etiquette.   We really need to coach them.  I saw this when I had young college grads working for me.  

If you are leaving an organization, you do not write a note stating how thankful you are then mention your excitement about going wherever you are going.  It's a bit like breaking up with your girlfriend, telling her how much you have enjoyed your time together, and then telling her about your NEW girlfriend.  How do you think that would go over guys?  Do you REALLY think she wants to hear about your new girlfriend in the same breath you are telling her how wonderful she has been? 

Leaving an organization can be a very sensitive issue and should be handled as discretely as possible, and I am not sure kids today "get" that.  Handling it the wrong way is a great way to offend and burn bridges.  Maybe not as important in high school, but get things wrong in the working world and there can be serious consequences.     

....going back to the kid's note.  He puts ST Thomas Aquinas in bold letters-not ABM.  What subtle message does that send?  If he really wanted to be nice, he would have mentioned how humbled he was to have known such great people at ABM.   

I guess what I am trying to say is, when you are thanking someone, the discussion should be about THEM and nothing else.  If you want to announce to the world you are going to a new team, employer, etc, do that elsewhere.  Some of these "announcements" I see from kids come across as very self-serving, ie tooting their own horn as if they are so important that they need to announce to the world that they are changing high schools.    

It wasn't too long ago that the only time you would see announcements like these were very important people like executives and political figures.  If we don't coach these kids, they can grow up with an inflated sense of self, which is a knock you here all the time about the millenials.  It's not fair to knock them if we haven't coached them right.