Transfer Season 2018

Zoe Boy

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

..some thoughts.

Deerfield Beach-always that team that is going to break out this year and then....  This same anticipation existed 35 years ago.  So many "good" teams and only one trip to the finals. 10 coaches in 25 years.   You cannot build a winner with that kind of history.  I won't bet on them again..been burned too many times before.   Boyd Anderson is another one that falls into the category of "historically underperforming."

Western-It took them about 35 years to win their first playoff game.  Need more time before being considered a consistent contender.  Coach has been there 4 years, so on the right track.  Had a pretty weak regular season schedule last year, lacking quality wins.

Miramar-4 coaches in 5 years, but program did not fall apart despite all of the turmoil.  New coach had good success his first season.  One of most consistent programs in Broward and they know how to win tough games.  

Atlantic-Coach is hometown boy in his first coaching job-nice story.  Just finished his fifth season .  Last season was fourth season in a row that they won one or more playoff games.  Program had not done that for 40 years.  Steady progress over the five years with momentum moving forward.    I like their chance of winning the region again, if not beyond.

Agree pretty much 100%.  Would you agree 8A South's top teams have taken a downward spiral since 2015 and does not look too promising for astate or national power anytime soon?

23 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Agree pretty much 100%.  Would you agree 8A South's top teams have taken a downward spiral since 2015 and does not look too promising for astate or national power anytime soon?

My impression is that Southridge, Coral Gables, and South Dade all can vary quite a bit from season to season.  Southridge was a consistent power back in the 80's and 90's, but they never got their mojo back.  I don't want to say their title last year was a fluke, but it still does not move them up to consistent contender for me.  Same thing for South Dade with their title a few years back. 

The only team from down there I consider a consistent power is Columbus.  This decade is probably the best I've seen in terms of making deep playoff runs.  They have momentum to keep it going.

Miami High last season was a total shocker to me.  I don't know the story, so have no idea if it was a fluke or not.  

Miami this season...don't know where that came from.  I cannot remember the last time they went anywhere in the playoffs.   

On 2/1/2018 at 9:31 PM, Mashburns said:

American Heritage Delray just picked up

Zachary Bohannon Qb Pope John Paul

Jaeze Tracey Qb Glades Central

don't feel to sorry for AH for losing players looking like they will do just find filling up the roster I don't see both of these kids staying there with them both playing the QB position but time will tell

Glades Central's RB/LB Steve Barrett is also rumored to be heading there with Tracey

3 hours ago, MuckCityChamp said:

Oxbridge's numbers will  be very low this spring. Transfer season probably won't pick up for them until summer time.

This is one of the key story lines this off season. When Oxbridge DE-emphasized football a years ago people thought they were going to kick football players out of the school- in reality, the intention was to let the currently enrolled athletes finish their tenure at the school but they wouldn't be getting kids in for soley athletic purposes.

Oxbridge has a hefty chunk of talent graduating- but a solid rising Sr. class- the talent after the Sr. class is still good, but they go from being an elite team, to a above average team. Still in the top 5 in 3A, but closer to the bottom top 5 than the top of the top 5.

My take? From those I've spoken with-  I do think Oxbridge will get a lot of attention and applications from football players but I don't think there are going to be a lot of kids transferring to Oxbridge to save the program unless the administrators eases up on the admissions criteria.

1 hour ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

This is one of the key story lines this off season. When Oxbridge DE-emphasized football a years ago people thought they were going to kick football players out of the school- in reality, the intention was to let the currently enrolled athletes finish their tenure at the school but they wouldn't be getting kids in for soley athletic purposes.

Oxbridge has a hefty chunk of talent graduating- but a solid rising Sr. class- the talent after the Sr. class is still good, but they go from being an elite team, to a above average team. Still in the top 5 in 3A, but closer to the bottom top 5 than the top of the top 5.

My take? From those I've spoken with-  I do think Oxbridge will get a lot of attention and applications from football players but I don't think there are going to be a lot of kids transferring to Oxbridge to save the program unless the administrators eases up on the admissions criteria.

Even though he is a senior C.J Smith has transferred from Oxbridge to Palm Beach Lakes and will be signing his Letter of Intent at Palm Beach Lakes High School (from the post). Again this the third kid since the start of 2018 to leave Oxbridge, I don't know what direction the school is going with the football program but the pull it once had is diminishing in Palm Beach County. By their numbers being low in the spring it will be tough for them to keep the kids they have their in the fold. I hope the school do not turn their backs on the success the program has had in this short period of time.  

52 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

Even though he is a senior C.J Smith has transferred from Oxbridge to Palm Beach Lakes and will be signing his Letter of Intent at Palm Beach Lakes High School (from the post). Again this the third kid since the start of 2018 to leave Oxbridge, I don't know what direction the school is going with the football program but the pull it once had is diminishing in Palm Beach County. By their numbers being low in the spring it will be tough for them to keep the kids they have their in the fold. I hope the school do not turn their backs on the success the program has had in this short period of time.  

There is a a lot more to the story of the ones that have transferred out. 

2 hours ago, Sonofablitz said:

They will fall off the map like Tc ocala. Its sad that you have to lower your education standards to compete.

I wouldn't necessarily say that they would have to lower their education standards, because not every student, athlete or not, will not be a Superior student. Private schools have the option to be more or less lenient on their Policies whereas public schools have set standards. So you have some students that value the opportunity that's given and then there are the ones that have that, "they wanted me here, so I can get away with this or that," attitude. Oxbridge, just like other private schools have been hit with both kinds of students. So, they will be looking more into the students discipline history a little deeper instead of turning a cheek because they are an athlete. 

On 2/2/2018 at 3:05 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

My impression is that Southridge, Coral Gables, and South Dade all can vary quite a bit from season to season.  Southridge was a consistent power back in the 80's and 90's, but they never got their mojo back.  I don't want to say their title last year was a fluke, but it still does not move them up to consistent contender for me.  Same thing for South Dade with their title a few years back. 

The only team from down there I consider a consistent power is Columbus.  This decade is probably the best I've seen in terms of making deep playoff runs.  They have momentum to keep it going.

Miami High last season was a total shocker to me.  I don't know the story, so have no idea if it was a fluke or not.  

Miami this season...don't know where that came from.  I cannot remember the last time they went anywhere in the playoffs.   

Miami High did great last year because of the recruiting Sedrick Irvin did for the school. They were stacked. He left Miami High to go back home to Southridge. He'll have Southridge bringing in players and they'll be competing for state again this season.

South Dade lost their freshman quarterback to Booker T when the season ended, but they always have athletes all over the field. But, I agree, they're unpredictable. 

Columbus has been by far the most consistent program. You can always count on them reaching at least the second round of the playoffs and sometimes farther. They'll eventually breakthrough and get a state title. 

7 minutes ago, Miamidade92 said:

Miami High did great last year because of the recruiting Sedrick Irvin did for the school. They were stacked. He left Miami High to go back home to Southridge. He'll have Southridge bringing in players and they'll be competing for state again this season.

South Dade lost their freshman quarterback to Booker T when the season ended, but they always have athletes all over the field. But, I agree, they're unpredictable. 

Columbus has been by far the most consistent program. You can always count on them reaching at least the second round of the playoffs and sometimes farther. They'll eventually breakthrough and get a state title. 

Columbus...15+ years with the same coach makes a huge difference.  How many teams in Dade County have a coach today who has been there 15+ years?  Cannot be many.  

8 hours ago, Mashburns said:

That is a blow to Oxbridge Academy....Smith is a nasty two way player that if he had played likely would have made Oxbridge Academy too much for Chaminade-Madonna to handle at States IMO.

10 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I believe Oxbridge Academy still has the best QB in PB County in Gio Richardson.  If they can beef up the OL with Richardson intact, I would think some skilled position players in the area might want to be a part of that,  along with a well coached offense and team.  The Thundewolves Offense will still have teeth to do some damage.... I state this assuming and agreeing with your last take paragraph/take @ SPCjessica.  They are gonna still need to get a few in.

..concerning Oxbridge.

We put a lot of emphasis on "talent."  In a young program like this, one of the most important factors is the head coach.  Best thing that could happen is that he gets a stable group of average/above average players and hones his skills molding them.    

I believe this is his first head coaching job, so that process is very important for his development as a coach.  Coach Smith at Aquinas, Coach Castle at Lakeland, and Coach Rogers at Bolles, the 3 most successful coaches in Florida history, all were head coaches for 10 or more years before winning their first state title.  What does that tell us?   ...slow, steady progression is the key to building a winning tradition ..no flash-in-the-pan stuff.    

Talent does not build or save programs.  Coaches do.  

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

..concerning Oxbridge.

We put a lot of emphasis on "talent."  In a young program like this, one of the most important factors is the head coach.  Best thing that could happen is that he gets a stable group of average/above average players and hones his skills molding them.    

I believe this is his first head coaching job, so that process is very important for his development as a coach.  Coach Smith at Aquinas, Coach Castle at Lakeland, and Coach Rogers at Bolles, the 3 most successful coaches in Florida history, all were head coaches for 10 or more years before winning their first state title.  What does that tell us?   ...slow, steady progression is the key to building a winning tradition ..no flash-in-the-pan stuff.    

Talent does not build or save programs.  Coaches do.  

Great Coach with talented players versus Great Coach with average players?

8 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Great Coach with talented players versus Great Coach with average players?

Raw talent is one thing, but talent does not always equate to "character."

I think it depends upon the experience level of the coach.  Sometimes it's a lot easier to coach the "average" kid with great drive/determination than the 4-star kid who has developed bad habits and already has his bags packed for college. 

A younger coach needs to learn how to take a player and mold him over a period of a few years..in both physical skills and character .  That will always be his bread and butter...not the all-star who shows up out of the blue for one season.

I come from the angle of developing great coach's, something we desperately need as so many have/will retire.

50 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I think it depends upon the experience level of the coach.  Sometimes it's a lot easier to coach the "average" kid with great drive/determination than the 4-star kid who has developed bad habits and already has his bags packed for college. 

A younger coach needs to learn how to take a player and mold him over a period of a few years..in both physical skills and character .  That will always be his bread and butter...not the all-star who shows up out of the blue for one season.

I come from the angle of developing great coach's, something we desperately need as so many have/will retire.

In this atmosphere of political correctness and where everyone thinks they are worth more than they really are, many coaches are intimidated. This creates an environment where discipline is considered a bad word. Without discipline there can be no effective training and thus no effective team. The really good coaches, which there are very very few of, are not intimidated and are not afraid to implement tough programs with no excuses. They don't let players, parents, fans, and the administration tell them what will be. They just go ahead and use their knowledge and expertise to build a successful team regardless. I believe that there are quite a few good coaches out there but who don't have the ability to discipline and thus never have successful teams.

11 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I believe Oxbridge Academy still has the best QB in PB County in Gio Richardson.  If they can beef up the OL with Richardson intact, I would think some skilled position players in the area might want to be a part of that,  along with a well coached offense and team.  The Thundewolves Offense will still have teeth to do some damage.... I state this assuming and agreeing with your last take paragraph/take @ SPCjessica.  They are gonna still need to get a few in.

Broward,

As a point of reference, I think that if Oxbridge doesn't get one single transfer from here until week 1- they're the best team in 3A North. Their senior class alone can get them to Orlando. I'm even willing to take it a step further- if Gio Richardson went down with injury and couldn't play, they will still end up in Orlando in 2018.

I believe 3A North is going to be down pretty significantly this year, but Chaminade-Madonna will beat Oxbridge like a drum in Orlando this year. The issue isn't so much coaching, Oxbridge has a solid staff- the issue is, those underclassmen transfers aren't coming in the same force as they were before.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I agree. When I look at the most consistent teams over the past 10-15 years that make deep playoff runs there coaching staff is consistent and the administration typically backs the coaching staff. The coaches are also ones to talk about adapting their style to what they have on the field, not forcing the players to play their system.

4 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Broward,

As a point of reference, I think that if Oxbridge doesn't get one single transfer from here until week 1- they're the best team in 3A North. Their senior class alone can get them to Orlando. I'm even willing to take it a step further- if Gio Richardson went down with injury and couldn't play, they will still end up in Orlando in 2018.

I believe 3A North is going to be down pretty significantly this year, but Chaminade-Madonna will beat Oxbridge like a drum in Orlando this year. The issue isn't so much coaching, Oxbridge has a solid staff- the issue is, those underclassmen transfers aren't coming in the same force as they were before.

I agree. When I look at the most consistent teams over the past 10-15 years that make deep playoff runs there coaching staff is consistent and the administration typically backs the coaching staff. The coaches are also ones to talk about adapting their style to what they have on the field, not forcing the players to play their system.

I disagree, Oxbridge loss another Lineman in Derrick Wells to Atlantic if they stay the way they are they will not have enough kids up front to keep the Richardson kid clean with only 2 lineman I believe coming back from last year team, they will have to ask probably kids that play backer for them to also help out on the DL and OL. I do agree they have some talent still there but they will need some kids to enroll either this spring or summer to compete at a level we are use to seeing. 

4 hours ago, Mashburns said:

I disagree, Oxbridge loss another Lineman in Derrick Wells to Atlantic if they stay the way they are they will not have enough kids up front to keep the Richardson kid clean with only 2 lineman I believe coming back from last year team, they will have to ask probably kids that play backer for them to also help out on the DL and OL. I do agree they have some talent still there but they will need some kids to enroll either this spring or summer to compete at a level we are use to seeing. 

With all due respect to all coaches....We can sit here and preach coaching all we want, watch Rudy and Remember the Titans back to back, but as of early February, 2018...Oxbridge has taken a hit in talent and they are not close to the team they were 3 months ago. I'm of the belief in great coaching but there are just some aspects of football that are hard to compensate for.

For example, I think many in SFL (and statewide)  can all agree that just retired Cypress Bay HC , Mark Guandolo   was a solid coach for many years in Broward.  Is it a coincidence, that when Cypress Bay had their hey-day for a few years they happened to have several D1 and even eventual NFL caliber players on their team?

Is it a coincidence that when that '07 - '12 run ended with a new group of kids , Cypress Bay became average even though the HC continued to work hard for the program 5-10 years after the run?  Did he just become less of a quality coach then, or did he just not have the same horses on the field?

Stoneman Douglas (8A-11) and HC Willis May have run a very good, hardworking, great staff and structured program for 10  years yet why is it they can never compete in their District with Deerfield Beach or when Monarch and Coral Springs had these "flash-in-the pan" 2 year  talent heavy teams a few years back?

Did anybody watch the AHP versus Baker County game this year?  Is it safe to say that Baker County has been a well coached program had a great 2017 season with a few good players on the team in which the coaches likely had the team ready for states as a entire program? What the heck happened to them at states?  Anyone seriously going to tell me that they were "outcoached"?  I hate to put the kabosh on the reality of the matter but that team was boatraced on talent versus AHP.  Not to take anything from Baker County who fought hard to the end but AHP wins that game in blowout fashion 9 times out of 10 ..against a well coached program.  I believe both HCs have been with the programs for 2 years and have done very well but you could probably trade rosters and I could prove my example better.

Again, I stand by the Coaches make programs, but I'll take talent with a great staff all day over a great staff with average talent. 

I don’t think the Pensacola area has learned how to transfer/recruit as well as the rest of the state. Kids from West Florida literally posting they “received offers” from other high schools. Trevor Jordan, the QB at WF, posted he ‘received an offer to play at Pensacola High School,’ and Keyshawn Swanson from WF also posted he ‘received his first offer to play at Pine Forest.’ I do know the RB from Pensacola Catholic, Smiley, has transferred to Pensacola High School. 

59 minutes ago, WhoopWhoop!! said:

I don’t think the Pensacola area has learned how to transfer/recruit as well as the rest of the state. Kids from West Florida literally posting they “received offers” from other high schools. Trevor Jordan, the QB at WF, posted he ‘received an offer to play at Pensacola High School,’ and Keyshawn Swanson from WF also posted he ‘received his first offer to play at Pine Forest.’ I do know the RB from Pensacola Catholic, Smiley, has transferred to Pensacola High School. 

Escambia does well for the size of the county IMO.  

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

With all due respect to all coaches....We can sit here and preach coaching all we want, watch Rudy and Remember the Titans back to back, but as of early February, 2018...Oxbridge has taken a hit in talent and they are not close to the team they were 3 months ago. I'm of the belief in great coaching but there are just some aspects of football that are hard to compensate for.

For example, I think many in SFL (and statewide)  can all agree that just retired Cypress Bay HC , Mark Guandolo   was a solid coach for many years in Broward.  Is it a coincidence, that when Cypress Bay had their hey-day for a few years they happened to have several D1 and even eventual NFL caliber players on their team?

Is it a coincidence that when that '07 - '12 run ended with a new group of kids , Cypress Bay became average even though the HC continued to work hard for the program 5-10 years after the run?  Did he just become less of a quality coach then, or did he just not have the same horses on the field?

Stoneman Douglas (8A-11) and HC Willis May have run a very good, hardworking, great staff and structured program for 10  years yet why is it they can never compete in their District with Deerfield Beach or when Monarch and Coral Springs had these "flash-in-the pan" 2 year  talent heavy teams a few years back?

Did anybody watch the AHP versus Baker County game this year?  Is it safe to say that Baker County has been a well coached program had a great 2017 season with a few good players on the team in which the coaches likely had the team ready for states as a entire program? What the heck happened to them at states?  Anyone seriously going to tell me that they were "outcoached"?  I hate to put the kabosh on the reality of the matter but that team was boatraced on talent versus AHP.  Not to take anything from Baker County who fought hard to the end but AHP wins that game in blowout fashion 9 times out of 10 ..against a well coached program.  I believe both HCs have been with the programs for 2 years and have done very well but you could probably trade rosters and I could prove my example better.

Again, I stand by the Coaches make programs, but I'll take talent with a great staff all day over a great staff with average talent. 

Your point is well taken.  Sure, talent can make a big difference.  The problem is when coaches/teams are relying upon the new batch of transfers to have a good team.  I am hearing more and more comments such as , "Well, we'll have to wait and see who transfers in next year."  These teams that become overly reliant on transfers will live and die by the sword, thriving when the school is in favor with the free agents and disappointing when it is not.

I have to wonder how much it screws up line of progression when the new batch of superstars arrive and take playing time away from the underclassmen.  Say I have a decent sophomore player.  Joe and Johnny 4-star transfer in and start ahead of him this season.  More big shots transfer in next year and once again he is displaced and gets limited playing time.  The following year the big shots decide they are going to the "new" popular school and all of a sudden this kid who has gotten limited playing time is a senior, first-year starter(who probably has an inferiority complex after being passed over twice), instead of a 3-year starter.  And say I have a bunch of players in this same situation.  That is when I can see the performance of a team really dropping off.

Concerning Broward County, with the exception of Aquinas, no school has had consistent, successful playoff experience since 2000.  Chaminade, University , Flanagan, Cypress Bay, Dillard, Ely, Miramar have all made it to state finals and then had substantial dropoffs in their performances.  Concerning American Heritage/Plantation....prior to 2013, in decades of playing football, they only made it beyond the first round once.  So, their great success is a fairly recent phenomenon.   All that said, until a program beyond Aquinas proves it can sustain a program for well beyond 5 years, I consider all of them a bit fragile.  For me, true success has to be something that is sustainable and reliant upon talent built from within the program.  If not, one is in danger of these big swings in performance.