Transfer Season 2018

Zoe Boy

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You know things have gone too far when kids are announcing they are STAYING at a school.  Somebody please tell me that this is not going to become the norm.  If so, maybe next we will have an annual ESPN show where kids announce their intent to stay or transfer at their present high school.:P

I see this kid listed at Ely, Boyd Anderson and American Heritage as well.   With that track record, I guess it is big news if he is actually staying somewhere for any period of time.;) 

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

You know things have gone too far when kids are announcing they are STAYING at a school.  Somebody please tell me that this is not going to become the norm.  If so, maybe next we will have an annual ESPN show where kids announce their intent to stay or transfer at their present high school.:P

I see this kid listed at Ely, Boyd Anderson and American Heritage as well.   With that track record, I guess it is big news if he is actually staying somewhere for any period of time.;) 

This kid have no offers, not rated star wise let’s see how this ends up...

2 hours ago, Zoe Boy said:

This kid have no offers, not rated star wise let’s see how this ends up...

Found one site where he has offer from Texas.  Sounds like the young man has a lot of talent.  Maybe the kids get nervous if they don't already have a bunch of offers in hand by their junior year and feel a need to go to a big name program like STA.

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Found one site where he has offer from Texas.  Sounds like the young man has a lot of talent.  Maybe the kids get nervous if they don't already have a bunch of offers in hand by their junior year and feel a need to go to a big name program like STA.

I would be willing to bet if he has a Texas offer it was at around the same time to transferred to STA. Like STA or not, you are likely going to get more offers just by transferring to STA or a national power program. It happens a lot.  I'm not saying the same player would not necessary get a Texas offer if he were still at another program but there is definitely a correlation with transferring to power programs and doors at the next level opening a little more so.

A player from Monarch had 0 offers from D1 programs.  He just transferred to STA (2 weeks ago)  and now is a 3 star recruit and holds offers from Texas, Louisville, Mississippi State, Pitt, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

Do you think he would have those offers today, if he were still at Monarch?

A player from Coral Glades last year transferred to STA last year with 0 offers. Within  24 hours of transferring to STA he had a offer from Oregon....

Just saying...Probably safe to say some national powers can sometimes speed up the recruiting process. Ultimately, it never hurts to have talent and a coach that can open doors for you but some programs seem to open more doors at a faster pace then others...

3 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I would be willing to bet if he has a Texas offer it was at around the same time to transferred to STA. Like STA or not, you are likely going to get more offers just by transferring to STA or a national power program. It happens a lot.  I'm not saying the same player would not necessary get a Texas offer if he were still at another program but there is definitely a correlation with transferring to power programs and doors at the next level opening a little more so.

A player from Monarch had 0 offers from D1 programs.  He just transferred to STA (2 weeks ago)  and now is a 3 star recruit and holds offers from Texas, Louisville, Mississippi State, Pitt, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

A player from Coral Glades last year transferred to STA last year with 0 offers. Within  24 hours of transferring to STA he had a offer from Oregon....

Just saying...Probably safe to say some national powers can sometimes speed up the recruiting process. Ultimately, it never hurts to have talent and a coach that can open doors for you but some programs seem to open more doors at a faster pace then others...

That is the atmosphere of high school athletics now, even at the collegiate level a kid could be a 0-3 star athlete by which ever recruiting service but some how get an Alabama offer and become 5 star over night? I understand they trust the evaluation of the Alabama staff in judging 5 star talent but over night a kid can jump between 2,3 and sometimes 4 stars? I think the same thing goes for High School speaking of STA, some colleges feel if STA bring you in then you must be legit and also STA I'm sure has loads of connections at the college level that they can speak to before a kid even steps a foot on their campus which gives them the ability to make promises that they more times than not probably come through on because year in and year out they actually sign 10 plus kids every year and their kids do pretty well at the next level. After not winning state last season i think most knew that STA will be very aggressive at bringing kids in....   

7 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

It would interesting to see some data that reflects what factors do/do not influence a player's ability to make the pros.  There are plenty of players from small colleges playing in the pros now.  160 former FCS football players were on NFL rosters in Week 1 of the 2017 season. That makes up about 13% of the league.

If you are good, it seems the NFL scouts will find you, no matter where you play.  I wonder if some of these kids would be better off going to smaller schools where they can get more attention (smaller student/professor ratios), feel more a part of the college than at a gigantic institution, and possibly be more apt to keep their nose clean.

Many of the guys who make it to the NFL are like men amongst boys in high school, and I would think they would be "found" no matter what high school they play at.  With all of the combines out there, if a hs player is a freak of nature, his name should be known.  If I am having to rely upon going to STA to get a scholarship, maybe I am not that good...at least not so good that I have a high percentage of starting on one of the elite college teams and/or making it to the pros. I can see where a kid gets a bunch of offers and suddenly thinks he is better than he actually is.  

On 1/16/2018 at 7:11 PM, DB4 said:

I just saw that one.

I also saw that Avantae Williams (2020 prospect, Miami commit) transferred back to DeLand from IMG

Also LB/RB Demarcus Bellamy (Mainland) has transferred back to hometown Deland ( 9th Mainland,10th Sebastian River, 11th Mainland, 12th Deland ). Veteran area head coach Steve Allen is shaking things up over there in Deland. If the power click will leave him alone and he can keep his city's athletes they will battle Orlando for 8A supremacy in Central Florida.

55 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Also LB/RB Demarcus Bellamy (Mainland) has transferred back to hometown Deland ( 9th Mainland,10th Sebastian River, 11th Mainland, 12th Deland ). Veteran area head coach Steve Allen is shaking things up over there in Deland. If the power click will leave him alone and he can keep his city's athletes they will battle Orlando for 8A supremacy in Central Florida.

Deland has won the early transfer season

Didn't they get a new coach this year or last year? 

1 hour ago, Dan in Daytona said:

That's a first for me.  He has transferred out of the same school TWICE.

Just curious.  Say a kid wanted to go to one school for football and another for academics, social reasons, etc.  Would there be anything stopping him from transferring back and forth all four years(ie transfer out as soon as football season ends and transfer back in before the next year's season starts) as long as he only played football at the one school each of the four years?

I think we miss the boat when it comes to kids transferring, it takes a guardian to withdraw these students, the kids themselves can't do it the other coach who is receiving the kid can't do it so I think we need to turn our attention to the guardians of these kids that are hopping place to place.

1. Hypothetically speaking :  Academically if a school is not meeting the needs of the child will it be ok to move the kid to a school that fit his or her needs?

2. Hypothetically speaking : If school (A) has a better ROTC program than school (B) will it be ok to move the kid to a school that fit the direction or career of the student?

3. Hypothetically speaking : If school (A) coach takes a better job/opportunity in another state lets say Georgia/Texas and the entire staff will be new year 2, is it ok for a child to be moved to a school of choice to better their opportunity for a payed education?

Their is two sides to this issue surrounding high school athletics that runs deeper than criticizing the kids/parents for their choices of "relocating" their student athlete. I believe each case is different is the reasons for doing so is different we can't group every kid that do so together in the same pot. Just as such we can't blame every coach for steeping aside to better their future as well. Does it sucks? I'm sure for that coach that lose kids to programs with his community still having high expectations of winning but have a struggle keeping his kids on campus. Again it all starts with the guardians and I don't think there is anything the state can do about parents moving their son/daughter for better opportunities in their opinion because at the end of the day every adult should want the best for their child. 

Take the kid from Deland/Mainland.  According to one site, he has offers from the schools below.  If he was at a high profile program like Mainland during his junior year and was good enough to be playing at the elite colleges, I think he would already have more offers.  If the kid is moving schools in hopes of getting yet more offers (don't know)...how many offers do you need?  He has a couple of local choices and a few out of state if the kid wants to see the world.  Goes back to earlier post in this thread....is all of the hopping around really making a difference in terms of future success, ie making the pros.   

Bowling Green

Visit:-Offer:YesRoster Outlook:3 On Roster, 0 Commits 

Deja Vu....Like 2017, not seeing the horses going into STA like in '16, '15, '14, and so on....Good players, but the top names in Broward  are staying put thus far.   I will add to that, and remind myself that we are only in January....

Let me know when they start bringing in players like in 2016 such as Al Blades Jr., Kyshaun Bryan, Trenell Troutman, Elijah Moore, Epstein, Etienne, Allen, Paulino and several others all in the same season.  2017 did not have the same type of ( or quantity)  established 3-4 star players landing at STA annually versus the previous years. 

What will 2018 bring?

Again, it is only January and these incoming players still have a year or two to develop but for now it is a different talent level.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:29 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Take the kid from Deland/Mainland.  According to one site, he has offers from the schools below.  If he was at a high profile program like Mainland during his junior year and was good enough to be playing at the elite colleges, I think he would already have more offers.  If the kid is moving schools in hopes of getting yet more offers (don't know)...how many offers do you need?  He has a couple of local choices and a few out of state if the kid wants to see the world.  Goes back to earlier post in this thread....is all of the hopping around really making a difference in terms of future success, ie making the pros.   

Bowling Green

Visit:-Offer:YesRoster Outlook:3 On Roster, 0 Commits 

Bellamy's father (coach) calls the shots for his son. Traveling mercenary head coach KP goes to Sebastian River hires daddy with son and another starting player going south with him. KP jumps again back to the panhandle (Tally) son comes back to the promise land (Mainland) and aggressively smacks guys around from a middle linebacker position. Wouldn't be surprised if daddy ends up with a coaching position at Deland....time will tell.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:59 PM, BrowardHandicapper said:

I would be willing to bet if he has a Texas offer it was at around the same time to transferred to STA. Like STA or not, you are likely going to get more offers just by transferring to STA or a national power program. It happens a lot. 

True.

Go look at all of the kids who had zero offers on the first day of Spring semester and then look at how many they have now. And those offers are all from the same schools. Louisville, NC State, Syracuse, etc.

They all got offered when they got to STA. Blanket offers to whomever had the measurables and the STA brand. 

On 1/18/2018 at 1:54 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

If I am having to rely upon going to STA to get a scholarship, maybe I am not that good...at least not so good that I have a high percentage of starting on one of the elite college teams and/or making it to the pros.

This is really stupid and illogical.

It's true that coaches and scouts can find a player no matter where they play. That's not the issue. What's important is the probability of doing so.

When people say that going to STA doesn't matter for these kids they're just dead wrong.