Transfer Season 2018

Zoe Boy

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Your point is well taken.  Sure, talent can make a big difference.  The problem is when coaches/teams are relying upon the new batch of transfers to have a good team.  I am hearing more and more comments such as , "Well, we'll have to wait and see who transfers in next year."  These teams that become overly reliant on transfers will live and die by the sword, thriving when the school is in favor with the free agents and disappointing when it is not.

I have to wonder how much it screws up line of progression when the new batch of superstars arrive and take playing time away from the underclassmen.  Say I have a decent sophomore player.  Joe and Johnny 4-star transfer in and start ahead of him this season.  More big shots transfer in next year and once again he is displaced and gets limited playing time.  The following year the big shots decide they are going to the "new" popular school and all of a sudden this kid who has gotten limited playing time is a senior, first-year starter(who probably has an inferiority complex after being passed over twice), instead of a 3-year starter.  And say I have a bunch of players in this same situation.  That is when I can see the performance of a team really dropping off.

Concerning Broward County, with the exception of Aquinas, no school has had consistent, successful playoff experience since 2000.  Chaminade, University , Flanagan, Cypress Bay, Dillard, Ely, Miramar have all made it to state finals and then had substantial dropoffs in their performances.  Concerning American Heritage/Plantation....prior to 2013, in decades of playing football, they only made it beyond the first round once.  So, their great success is a fairly recent phenomenon.   All that said, until a program beyond Aquinas proves it can sustain a program for well beyond 5 years, I consider all of them a bit fragile.  For me, true success has to be something that is sustainable and reliant upon talent built from within the program.  If not, one is in danger of these big swings in performance.  

AHP made it to the finals in the late 90s

23 minutes ago, FloTech said:

AHP made it to the finals in the late 90s

"Concerning American Heritage/Plantation....prior to 2013, in decades of playing football, they only made it beyond the first round once."

That statement I made above was wrong.  It should have read "the second round," and not the first.  And that trip to the finals you mentioned was the one and only year prior to 2013 they made it past the first round.  Thanks

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

"Concerning American Heritage/Plantation....prior to 2013, in decades of playing football, they only made it beyond the first round once."

That statement I made above was wrong.  It should have read "the second round," and not the first.  And that trip to the finals you mentioned was the one and only year prior to 2013 they made it past the first round.  Thanks

No problem but they area recent powerhouse team and it doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Who will have best signing class amongst these schools? Pathetic. The recruitment, peddling, and wh0ring of HS kids between schools.

I'm waiting for ESPN to start running shows with the kids picking the hat of the high school they will attend next year:D

I'm sure most of you have seen the following.  A lot of folks are being very critical of mom.  If the kid told mom one thing and then surprised her at that moment, that was not very respectful on his part.  I think any parent in her shoes would have been equally as shocked/disappointed, even if they did not react as she did.  

It really struck me when I saw the kid shaking like a scared puppy.  At the end of the day, these are still kids, and the pressure they are being subjected to is unbelievable.   

11 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I'm waiting for ESPN to start running shows with the kids picking the hat of the high school they will attend next year:D

I'm sure most of you have seen the following.  A lot of folks are being very critical of mom.  If the kid told mom one thing and then surprised her at that moment, that was not very respectful on his part.  I think any parent in her shoes would have been equally as shocked/disappointed, even if they did not react as she did.  

It really struck me when I saw the kid shaking like a scared puppy.  At the end of the day, these are still kids, and the pressure they are being subjected to is unbelievable.   

I would like to know more about this because it seems like a lot of details haven't came out yet

5 minutes ago, MuckCityChamp said:

Yeah Tough situation because they had some very nice pieces coming into this season but with 3 big losses like this will only create a wave of kids leaving out that program that staff is in a very rough situation 

17 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

Yeah Tough situation because they had some very nice pieces coming into this season but with 3 big losses like this will only create a wave of kids leaving out that program that staff is in a very rough situation 

Dang...Yeah they had a lot of returnees, got a couple in,  but are also  losing them faster then they can count..  If they believe the grass is greener at DFB ...well....BOL.

4 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Dang...Yeah they had a lot of returnees, got a couple in,  but are also  losing them faster then they can count..  If they believe the grass is greener at DFB ...well....BOL.

DFB is very heavy in Delray they pulled two from Heritage and one from Atlantic and honestly I don't know how many they have received in the 954 or 305 area schools but it seems like DFB have a draw this up coming season 

12 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

DFB is very heavy in Delray they pulled two from Heritage and one from Atlantic and honestly I don't know how many they have received in the 954 or 305 area schools but it seems like DFB have a draw this up coming season 

DFB always gets 'em in (About 25 last year if I am not mistaken)....I know AHD does get some in from DFB, Coconut Creek and Coral Springs/Parkland area.  Possible these kids are from the DFB area?

I'm kind of surprised they just didn't go to Atlantic.  Similar type program IMO...Usually loaded but ....

I have a pretty good source for AHD and know a little about the ups and downs of the program but I'll remain reserved....

1 minute ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

DFB always gets 'em in (About 25 last year if I am not mistaken)....I know AHD does get some in from DFB, Coconut Creek and Coral Springs/Parkland area.  Possible these kids are from the DFB area?

I have a pretty good source for AHD and know a little about the ups and downs of the program but I'll remain reserved....

That could be a possibility that these kids are from that area I think that makes more sense because these kids are flipping county lines not to another local school so I'm sure they are kids from that area  

14 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

That could be a possibility that these kids are from that area I think that makes more sense because these kids are flipping county lines not to another local school so I'm sure they are kids from that area  

AHD and Atlantic are only about a 15 - 20 minute  drive from the North Broward area.... If a better opportunity academically or athletically is available that close, I am not surprised these kids make the daily commute.  It sounds like a lot being different counties but realistically a DFB resident could probably drive to AHD and back almost as fast as they  could make a one-way commute to CM.

We are only in early February, still plenty of time for AHD to regroup...

4 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

AHD and Atlantic are only about a 15 - 20 minute  drive from the North Broward area.... If a better opportunity academically or athletically is available that close, I am not surprised these kids make the daily commute.  It sounds like a lot being different counties but realistically a DFB resident could probably drive to AHD and back almost as fast as they  could make a one-way commute to CM.

We are only in early February, still plenty of time for AHD to regroup...

Lol thats positive way to look at it

35 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Both Moses and Landers played for Coconut Creek in 2016, transferred to AHD for 2017 and now are at Deerfield Beach. 

The other AHD player that recently  transferred out (John Dunmore) was at Chaminade-Madonna 2015, Cardinal Gibbons 2016, AHD 2017, and I presume now back at Chaminade-Madonna for 2017.

WTF 

On 2/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, BrowardHandicapper said:

Both Moses and Landers played for Coconut Creek in 2016, transferred to AHD for 2017 and now are at Deerfield Beach. 

The other AHD player that recently  transferred out (John Dunmore) was at Chaminade-Madonna 2015, Cardinal Gibbons 2016, AHD 2017, and I presume now back at Chaminade-Madonna for 2018.

He jumping from privates to privates.. It gets to the point that the parents gotta take some responsibility for all this transferring ...

1 hour ago, Zoe Boy said:

He jumping from privates to privates.. It gets to the point that the parents gotta take some responsibility for all this transferring ...

If these kids don't make it in football and try that stuff in the work world, they will learn real quick that jumping from company to company doesn't sit well with some employers.  Maybe no problem if you gonna work minimum wage your whole life, but for the better jobs it's a red flag in the hiring process. 

Huge blow to Tampa Catholic as it was publicly announced that QB Charlie Dean has transferred to Tampa Plant per Bob Putnam on twitter.  Can't blame him though, he committed to UCF and wants to get there early and he would be required to stay at TC for Spring 2019 where as he can be at UCF in Spring 2019 by transferring. 

The firesale at Tampa Catholic continues... Ahmarean Brown who is one of the better WR's in the country and holds an Alabama offer has transferred to Tampa Jefferson! In addition, the Crusaders most promising young WR Joe Hodges- who holds numerous D-1 offers himself, went with Brown to Jefferson. 

image.png.6d2eab9065bf683e36501f8523ce4ce2.png

44 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Huge blow to Tampa Catholic as it was publicly announced that QB Charlie Dean has transferred to Tampa Plant per Bob Putnam on twitter.  Can't blame him though, he committed to UCF and wants to get there early and he would be required to stay at TC for Spring 2019 where as he can be at UCF in Spring 2019 by transferring. 

Found this article about the lad and the quote below within.  Not sure what the big rush is to get to college.  It is not as if he is a 5-star player who is a sure bet to start his freshman year.  As a 6'1" white kid, if he really thinks he can make the pros as a qb with his stature, good for him.  I think it's a bit unrealistic.  

Whenever I read of a kid like this, makes me wonder about football academies...let them pursue their dreams as a professional athlete without using up the resources of our already strapped schools.  One has to feel badly for the coaches at Tampa Catholic who invested in him...and this is how they are thanked.  Chasing a pipe dream trumps loyalty and personal relationships. 

http://prepsportsscouting.com/2017/05/20/1-1-2018-tampa-catholic-qb-charlie-dean-iii/

"Hopefully, I graduate early and spend the last year not studying just playing football,” Dean III said." 

25 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Found this article about the lad and the quote below within.  Not sure what the big rush is to get to college.  It is not as if he is a 5-star player who is a sure bet to start his freshman year.  As a 6'1" white kid, if he really thinks he can make the pros as a qb with his stature, good for him.  I think it's a bit unrealistic.  

Whenever I read of a kid like this, makes me wonder about football academies...let them pursue their dreams as a professional athlete without using up the resources of our already strapped schools.  One has to feel badly for the coaches at Tampa Catholic who invested in him...and this is how they are thanked.  Chasing a pipe dream trumps loyalty and personal relationships. 

Very true statements OldschoolLion. Tampa Catholic was really banking on 2018 to be their year to get into the final 4, they built a very competitive schedule this year and finally had achieved a strong, senior-laden roster lead by Charlie Dean. With the recent transfers a lot of the work the coaching staff has put in has been for little more than naught as they now need to start over and plug holes.  The TC staff is very experienced and has a very passionate and loyal fan base supporting them. I also happen to be a big fan of Coach Gregory and his accomplishments at TC.

My opinion?

Despite the recent defections the Crusaders are still on pace for a good 2018 year thanks to the struggles in the region. SPC, OTC, LCS, Cardinal Mooney are all moving in the right direction, but they're all rebuilding. Calvary was gutted and isn't so much rebuilding as they are starting from square-1.  That leaves CCC and Berkeley Prep.

CCC just received a 2 million dollar "football only" donation and has loaded up on big-time transfers this off season, that's probably too rich for the Crusaders- but Berkeley Prep isn't projected to have a great team next year, a solid 6 or 7 win team but they have a lot to replace and Berkeley isn't known for getting gobs of transfers due to their academic standards.  Assuming the season rolls along as it should, TC would still be looking at a first round bye and a favorable home game in round two. I know I'm projecting a bit, but I can still see TC in the third round playing for a regional championship.

Plus, who knows- maybe they get transfers of their own in.

1 hour ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Very true statements OldschoolLion. Tampa Catholic was really banking on 2018 to be their year to get into the final 4, they built a very competitive schedule this year and finally had achieved a strong, senior-laden roster lead by Charlie Dean. With the recent transfers a lot of the work the coaching staff has put in has been for little more than naught as they now need to start over and plug holes.  The TC staff is very experienced and has a very passionate and loyal fan base supporting them. I also happen to be a big fan of Coach Gregory and his accomplishments at TC.

My opinion?

Despite the recent defections the Crusaders are still on pace for a good 2018 year thanks to the struggles in the region. SPC, OTC, LCS, Cardinal Mooney are all moving in the right direction, but they're all rebuilding. Calvary was gutted and isn't so much rebuilding as they are starting from square-1.  That leaves CCC and Berkeley Prep.

CCC just received a 2 million dollar "football only" donation and has loaded up on big-time transfers this off season, that's probably too rich for the Crusaders- but Berkeley Prep isn't projected to have a great team next year, a solid 6 or 7 win team but they have a lot to replace and Berkeley isn't known for getting gobs of transfers due to their academic standards.  Assuming the season rolls along as it should, TC would still be looking at a first round bye and a favorable home game in round two. I know I'm projecting a bit, but I can still see TC in the third round playing for a regional championship.

Plus, who knows- maybe they get transfers of their own in.

...concerning the bolded above, maybe my heart is too soft for the coaches:rolleyes:

A coach's job is often dependent on that number in the "win" column.  He can be put on the street, and his family profoundly impacted. We worry that restrictions related to transfers may in some way impede a kid's career path, so we "protect" the kids with lenient transfer rules.  

So when players bolt on a coach and leave him high and dry, and he loses his job down the road as a result of that, who was protecting the coach's means of earning a living?  HS coaches should not have to worry about their jobs season to season, but it's the real world.  

The kid's don't need a salary NOW(if they do they should be working a job instead of going off to college, like some of us had to do).  The coach has bills to pay and mouths to feed.  So we are making it even harder for our already low-paid coaches to succeed.  What is my motivation as a coach to build a sustainable program for the future when it can all be brought down by some whimsical teenagers in a matter of minutes?   With our current system, it forces me to think more short-term.  And we're all seeing how that mindset with the stock market is costing many people their jobs.

Since the Florida legislature passed the bill, that allows students to transfer in and out of any school in the state with no limitations, the entire sports community has been turned upside down. The purpose of this legislation was to allow students to go to any school for academic reasons. Students stuck in schools that are not producing academically being allowed to transfer to schools that are producing academically. I don't think it was in the mind of the legislators that transferring would be primarily for sports. As such, to remedy the random transferring for sports only, I think the FHSAA should impose a one year restriction for playing in that sport when they transfer to another school. It is the only way to stop the madness of students transferring all over the place just to play a sport. After all, a student is primarily in school to learn academically. The taxpayers build schools to train students in the academics. I don't think they build schools to produce farm teams for colleges and the NFL. I understand that some folks may have a different opinion about unlimited transferring. So be it. But, you cannot deny that unlimited transferring is surely having a negative impact on HS sports, the teams themselves, and the coaches.