Transfer Season 2018

Zoe Boy

I had the chance to speak with some Chaminade coaches privately- the way things are looking the 2018 football team would beat the breaks off the 2017 team. Bigger and deeper along the lines- they're expecting a varsity roster of 48 players.  They already have some dynamite WR transfers and have replaced most of the guys they've lost.

I think Tampa Catholic has the same caliber of athlete that Chaminade in 2018, but are vastly overwhelmed along the lines. Still, I'd like to see some of the battles.

...in a shocking chain of events, Joe "The Knight Killa" Rooks, a 4-pawn, University of Maryland chess recruit, has announced via Twitter he is transferring from public school IM Outahere Memorial to St Shome DaMoney.   Scandal rocked Memorial last year when a fellow, male team member was accused of inappropriately touching a female player's bishops and Rooks' female coach, Stormy Spaniels, admitted to playing phone chess with a 16 year-old male player during the offseason.  And in yet another incident, a freshmen player alleged that senior members of the team subjected him to a cruel hazing ritual known as "chessboarding," during which he was forced to stare at a chess board for 15 minutes with no access to social media.

There was rumor that Rooks was very unhappy with his team's antiquated chess pieces, many of which allegedly have rough edges that caused finger injuries, requiring Rooks to play injured.  Rooks also claimed that his coaches made his team play entire games without state-mandated latte breaks.   New Memorial coach Ima Bully claims this is all "nonsense," and simply another case of private school recruiting. 

Bully stated, "How can I compete with these private school chess factories.  These kids go over there, see themselves playing on the giant jumbotron, and it's all over.  The kids today are different.  It's not like the old days.  We played chess with no protective equipment. It was nothing to play hours on end with a callus.  And we didn't need a shiny "checkmate chain" hung around our necks every time we made a good move.  These prima donnas show up on the first day of practice wanting to attack a guy's queen, and they cannot even grasp a pawn properly.  The kids lack discipline today.  Last year I had a player flagged for trash talking his opponent...something about the kid's glasses...he had the other kid in tears.  And the parents blame me for not coaching them right.  I can't win." 

..with all of this heavy duty talk about playoffs, thought a little fun was in order. Sorry, off my meds today :rolleyes:

Image result for high school chess club photo

On 1/18/2018 at 8:06 PM, Dan in Daytona said:

Also LB/RB Demarcus Bellamy (Mainland) has transferred back to hometown Deland ( 9th Mainland,10th Sebastian River, 11th Mainland, 12th Deland ). Veteran area head coach Steve Allen is shaking things up over there in Deland. If the power click will leave him alone and he can keep his city's athletes they will battle Orlando for 8A supremacy in Central Florida.

With Avantae Williams from IMG, now add soph QB Jadyn Nirschi, from Seabreeze High. Rumors circulating are this is only the beginning. Lookout Deltona and University High of Orange City, Mr Allen is on the prowl at Deland High

22 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I had the chance to speak with some Chaminade coaches privately- the way things are looking the 2018 football team would beat the breaks off the 2017 team. Bigger and deeper along the lines- they're expecting a varsity roster of 48 players.  They already have some dynamite WR transfers and have replaced most of the guys they've lost.

I think Tampa Catholic has the same caliber of athlete that Chaminade in 2018, but are vastly overwhelmed along the lines. Still, I'd like to see some of the battles.

Chaminade is going to showcase their skills against some GA team in the Freedom Bowl this year 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Chaminade is going to showcase their skills against some GA team in the Freedom Bowl this year 

I think Chaminade should win 3A this year and then move to 4A. They have to many resources to pull from for other 3A teams with Oxbridge deciding to throw the towel in, and American Heritage Delray dismantling themselves.  Tampa Catholic or CCC will field teams once every 10 years that can compete with them for one year. 

46 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I think Chaminade should win 3A this year and then move to 4A. They have to many resources to pull from for other 3A teams with Oxbridge deciding to throw the towel in, and American Heritage Delray dismantling themselves.  Tampa Catholic or CCC will field teams once every 10 years that can compete with them for one year. 

Agree, Chaminade looking like Trinity did a couple of years ago before deciding to move up, Oxbridge has some good parts returning but not enough to compete with Chaminade at this point and who knows which direction the program or school decides to go. American Heritage Delray did lose a great talented receiver to Chaminade maybe one of the top in the state but after this year I think Chaminade should move up and let 3a become more of the independent league type leaving schools that field around 30 kids or so

3 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

Agree, Chaminade looking like Trinity did a couple of years ago before deciding to move up, Oxbridge has some good parts returning but not enough to compete with Chaminade at this point and who knows which direction the program or school decides to go. American Heritage Delray did lose a great talented receiver to Chaminade maybe one of the top in the state but after this year I think Chaminade should move up and let 3a become more of the independent league type leaving schools that field around 30 kids or so

Imagine if Chaminade, cocoa and raines all move up to 5a

Could you say top classification maybe being 5a come 2019?

1 minute ago, Mashburns said:

Hard to say but 6a I'm sure still will have something to say about that definitely in South Florida but that will shake things up in 5a

The thing is 6a is kinda top heavy 

Once you get outside of top 1-8 range it starts to drop off 

I had 6a behind 8a this year overall and if all 3 move to 5a come 2019 i think 5a will be able to jump 7a and be knocking on 6a door

American Heritage Delray just picked up

Zachary Bohannon Qb Pope John Paul

Jaeze Tracey Qb Glades Central

don't feel to sorry for AH for losing players looking like they will do just find filling up the roster I don't see both of these kids staying there with them both playing the QB position but time will tell

22 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Chaminade is strong today, but I would not bet the house they will be at the same level in 5 years.  If they are, that would be a huge accomplishment.  They have not been been able to sustain the program at a high level of performance over the years.  They had a big dropoff after Guandolo left and the same could happen today if they lost their present coach.  

AHDelray, University, N Broward Prep, AB McCarthy, Oxbridge, Pace...all have had flashes of brilliance and then faded.  Columbus and Aquinas are the only schools I would put money on to have a strong team in 5 years and it comes down to two things...a tradition of winning seasons over MANY years, year in and year out, and a coach who is/was there for a LONG time.  Chaminade and those other teams are lacking in those areas.   

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Chaminade is strong today, but I would not bet the house they will be at the same level in 5 years.  If they are, that would be a huge accomplishment.  They have not been been able to sustain the program at a high level of performance over the years.  They had a big dropoff after Guandolo left and the same could happen today if they lost their present coach.  

AHDelray, University, N Broward Prep, AB McCarthy, Oxbridge, Pace...all have had flashes of brilliance and then faded.  Columbus and Aquinas are the only schools I would put money on to have a strong team in 5 years and it comes down to two things...a tradition of winning seasons over MANY years, year in and year out, and a coach who is/was there for a LONG time.  Chaminade and those other teams are lacking in those areas.   

Did not take that into consideration but you are right when it comes to the foundation of sustaining success I know here in Palm Beach Oxbridge would have been in a better position if they would have kept Doug Socha and the same for American Heritage when both programs let him go you can see the programs fading. Heritage trying to get back to those days and Oxbridge just don't have the same attraction it once did a few years ago I mean that program has lost more division 1 talent to other local schools than anyone I can remember recently.

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

...no offense to Chaminade, but they need to learn how to compete against teams in their back yard.  There were 10 teams in Dade/Broward last year who could have beaten them or come very close.  In terms of "quality wins" over the traditional powers...over the past two years, they beat BTW this year and Miramar by 1.  That's it.      

3 hours ago, Mashburns said:

Probably Top to bottom 8a maybe over 6a but that top few in 6a can compete nationally and do just find I can't say that for 8a.

Depends on the year.   I don't know about Central and North FL but in 2015 , I would say 8A south was better then 6A South. With the top teas and depth.  Columbus 2015 was arguably the best team in Dade that year (I was not overly impressed with 2015 Central versus 2014 Central), and better than the Columbus 2014 team that went to States. 2015 Atlantic was better than the 2017 Atlantic team that went to States.  2015 DFB and 2015 Plantation were both stronger then any of their 2016 and 2017 teams.  2015 Flanagan demolished all 3 of those teams.  I'd put 2015 Flanagan up against any 6A State Champ since Central 2014 which I think would have been a good one versus Flanagan.  Flanagan finished ranked in the top 25 nationally in 2015 but that Defense, particularly the LBs and secondary had to have been one of top in the nation that year.  Led by Devin Bush Jr (now 2nd team AA and 2017 Butkus candidate for top LB nationally) that defense was a violent wrecking crew.  Most physical public school defense I can remember out of Broward in a long time.. 2015 Flanagan did not allow a offensive TD the entire 2015 season in the first half until Osceola's deceptive Wing-T burnt one up the gut on them at States.

I did predict 8A South would take a dive in 2016 and perhaps another small one in 2017 .  Both happened....   In Broward, a lot of has to do with the Miramar and Pembroke Pines kids are going to Broward Privates or to the district of death in 6A-16 Dade which.  For now 

At the youth level the AYFL and particularly PPO (Pembroke Pines Optimist)  is not as dominant  of late  because a couple years back because the "Fort Lauderdale" Hurricanes brought the top Miramar and Pembroke Pines kids over there along with several kids from NW Dade.   

How many of the "Fort Lauderdale" Hurricanes are truly from Fort Lauderdale?

Where will these kids land in a year or two?  I am guessing most will be going to Broward privates or 6A-16.  A few years back many were going to 8A-12.   Kids want to play for winners or where they have a chance at winning.  The only time kids want to build these days is if they know they have a coach that they know will build with them.  The days of Cypress Bay, Miramar and Flanagan scooping up those kids will be a thing of the past until a known prominent coach lands there or a super group of kids and coaching staff on a youth team all plan on going to the same public school.  That is how Flanagan went from average 8A and built up to national power over 4-5 years.....Next thing you know 13 coaches and 25 or so players leave and you have a JV team....Where did most of those players and coaches land?  Mostly at Miami Central,  Chaminade-Madonna, AHP, Champagnat-Catholic.

I still believe 8A South has a lot of and perhaps the most "good " teams in the South , but I don't see any national power on the horizon anytime soon.  I do believe Deerfield Beach is overdue, Atlantic is similarly loaded with talent but ....

Columbus even when down the last couple years is still solid and will likely get better before they get worse.  I still believe 2017 Miramar was the best 8A South team and if it were not for a monsoon would have been playing in Orlando with probably a more prepared coaching staff that would have made for a better showing versus a hungry and seasoned Dr. Phi.  No disrespect to Park Vista knocking off Miramar as weather is surely part of the game.

I believe for 2018 and from what I know as of January 2018, I would favor DFB and Western for Broward, and Columbus and Southridge in Dade particularly with the return of Sedrick Irvin to his alma-mater.  In Palm Beach County, I believe Atlantic will again have a talented roster but will be challenged to repeat their 2017 run. 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Imagine if Chaminade, cocoa and raines all move up to 5a

Could you say top classification maybe being 5a come 2019?

5A North needs a lot of help right now.  From what I saw of Baker County there were at least five 5A South teams that would have beat them by double digits.  You would hope TCA, Bolles and maybe Wakulla bounce back in 2018 for starters...

4 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

5A North needs a lot of help right now.  From what I saw of Baker County there were at least five 5A South teams that would have beat them by double digits.  You would hope TCA, Bolles and maybe Wakulla bounce back in 2018 for starters...

I thought Godby was good but they dropped off at end of season 

But frankly no one in the 5a north would have been within 17 points of AHP 

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...no offense to Chaminade, but they need to learn how to compete against teams in their back yard.  There were 10 teams in Dade/Broward last year who could have beaten them or come very close.  In terms of "quality wins" over the traditional powers...over the past two years, they beat BTW this year and Miramar by 1.  That's it.      

Agree.  I think Chaminade-Madonna got stronger (and healthier) as the 2017 year went on as well.   I do however believe their Playoff and State Championship form was stronger then early season.  After playing Central and Miramar, they lost their a few starters including QB, and followed that week at AHP.  That is a rough start for any team.....From what I have seen, any team with a physical  DL  that could have their way with CM,  and contain Shivers usually has handled CM over the last couple years.  

I'll be very surprised if the CM receiving core is as strong in 2018 as last year.. I'm probably missing something but I believe the strongest player CM has picked up thus far is RB Willie Davis from Miami Central and previously Archbishop McCarthy. Davis should fill Shaun Shivers shoes very well behind what may be a stronger OL and perhaps the biggest OL in 3A in 2018.  

I believe CM has also picked up players from Flanagan, Ely and West Broward in 2018. 

51 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I thought Godby was good but they dropped off at end of season 

But frankly no one in the 5a north would have been within 17 points of AHP 

17?  I would probably say 27 from what I saw of Baker County.  Very challenged with overall team speed from I saw...Jones, Rockledge, Cardinal Gibbons and  Immokalee all would have toyed with Baker County.  

Considering Baker County punched their ticket to states with a 3 TD victory , dropping 48 points in the W while AHP held on for dear life versus Cardinal Gibbons and then Immokalee should tell you the current state and imbalance of 5A...

On 1/31/2018 at 8:34 PM, SPCjessica2004 said:

I look forward to another great CM team but I'll be surprised if CM can replace their receiving core...Lost:

4* Xavier Williams - Alabama

3* Akeem Hayes - Louisville

3* Marvin Alexander - Kentucky

2* Logan Giordano - Western Michigan

Do you know any of the names that CM has added at WR?  

I believe they have added 2019 Grantis Poole from Ely.  No offers or rating yet but solid player.  They won't get a WR as strong as Williams (SFL is good but Alabama WR commits are not on every corner), and replacing the other 3 is not going to be easy IMO...

28 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Depends on the year.   I don't know about Central and North FL but in 2015 , I would say 8A south was better then 6A South. With the top teas and depth.  Columbus 2015 was arguably the best team in Dade that year (I was not overly impressed with 2015 Central versus 2014 Central), and better than the Columbus 2014 team that went to States. 2015 Atlantic was better than the 2017 Atlantic team that went to States.  2015 DFB and 2015 Plantation were both stronger then any of their 2016 and 2017 teams.  2015 Flanagan demolished all 3 of those teams.  I'd put 2015 Flanagan up against any 6A State Champ since Central 2014 which I think would have been a good one versus Flanagan.  Flanagan finished ranked in the top 25 nationally in 2015 but that Defense, particularly the LBs and secondary had to have been one of top in the nation that year.  Led by Devin Bush Jr (now 2nd team AA and 2017 Butkus candidate for top LB nationally) that defense was a violent wrecking crew.  Most physical public school defense I can remember out of Broward in a long time.. 2015 Flanagan did not allow a offensive TD the entire 2015 season in the first half until Osceola's deceptive Wing-T burnt one up the gut on them at States.

I did predict 8A South would take a dive in 2016 and perhaps another small one in 2017 .  Both happened....   In Broward, a lot of has to do with the Miramar and Pembroke Pines kids are going to Broward Privates or to the district of death in 6A-16 Dade which.  For now 

At the youth level the AYFL and particularly PPO (Pembroke Pines Optimist)  is not as dominant  of late  because a couple years back because the "Fort Lauderdale" Hurricanes brought the top Miramar and Pembroke Pines kids over there along with several kids from NW Dade.   

How many of the "Fort Lauderdale" Hurricanes are truly from Fort Lauderdale?

Where will these kids land in a year or two?  I am guessing most will be going to Broward privates or 6A-16.  A few years back many were going to 8A-12.   Kids want to play for winners or where they have a chance at winning.  The only time kids want to build these days is if they know they have a coach that they know will build with them.  The days of Cypress Bay, Miramar and Flanagan scooping up those kids will be a thing of the past until a known prominent coach lands there or a super group of kids and coaching staff on a youth team all plan on going to the same public school.  That is how Flanagan went from average 8A and built up to national power over 4-5 years.....Next thing you know 13 coaches and 25 or so players leave and you have a JV team....Where did most of those players and coaches land?  Mostly at Miami Central,  Chaminade-Madonna, AHP, Champagnat-Catholic.

I still believe 8A South has a lot of and perhaps the most "good " teams , but I don't see any national power on the horizon anytime soon.  I do believe Deerfield Beach is overdue, Atlantic is similarly loaded with talent but ....

Columbus even when down the last couple years is still solid and will likely get better before they get worse.  I still believe 2017 Miramar was the best 8A South team and if it were not for a monsoon would have been playing in Orlando with probably a more prepared coaching staff that would have made for a better showing versus a hungry and seasoned Dr. Phi.  No disrespect to Park Vista knocking off Miramar as weather is surely part of the game.

I believe for 2018 and from what I know as of January 2018, I would favor DFB and Western for Broward, and Columbus and Southridge in Dade particularly with the return of Sedrick Irvin to his alma-mater.  In Palm Beach  believe Atlantic will again have a talented roster but will be challenged to repeat their 2017 run. 

..some thoughts.

Deerfield Beach-always that team that is going to break out this year and then....  This same anticipation existed 35 years ago.  So many "good" teams and only one trip to the finals. 10 coaches in 25 years.   You cannot build a winner with that kind of history.  I won't bet on them again..been burned too many times before.   Boyd Anderson is another one that falls into the category of "historically underperforming."

Western-It took them about 35 years to win their first playoff game.  Need more time before being considered a consistent contender.  Coach has been there 4 years, so on the right track.  Had a pretty weak regular season schedule last year, lacking quality wins.

Miramar-4 coaches in 5 years, but program did not fall apart despite all of the turmoil.  New coach had good success his first season.  One of most consistent programs in Broward and they know how to win tough games.  

Atlantic-Coach is hometown boy in his first coaching job-nice story.  Just finished his fifth season .  Last season was fourth season in a row that they won one or more playoff games.  Program had not done that for 40 years.  Steady progress over the five years with momentum moving forward.    I like their chance of winning the region again, if not beyond.