Cardinal Gibbons 57 @ American Heritage Plantation 58 in OT

BrowardHandicapper

I'm going to tip my hat, and name Cardinal Gibbons the 2017 team of merit this year.  They may have had one of the hardest 3 game road stretches in the longest time I can remember and they left everything on the field to District Rival American Heritage Plantation this evening in what many would call the 5A State Championship game.  This game tonight was probably one of the greatest Broward County games of all time based on the talent on the field, competition and final score in OT.....

I believe Cardinal Gibbons could probably have played with anyone in the state this year and based on the regular season, and the way the finished the year against top teams, they are arguably top 5 team in the State IMO.  I'd gladly put them against any other State Champion this year on a neutral field and like my chances....Cardinal Gibbons really played a near flawless season but lost to a arguably  top 10 national team twice by a combined 5 points.    Thank you 2017 Cardinal Gibbons for making this a great season.

18 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I'm going to tip my hat, and name Cardinal Gibbons the 2017 team of merit this year.  They may have had one of the hardest 3 game road stretches in the longest time I can remember and they left everything on the field to District Rival American Heritage Plantation this evening in what many would call the 5A State Championship game.  This game tonight was probably one of the greatest Broward County games of all time based on the talent on the field, competition and final score in OT.....

I believe Cardinal Gibbons could probably have played with anyone in the state this year and based on the regular season, and the way the finished the year against top teams, they are arguably top 5 team in the State IMO.  I'd gladly put them against any other State Champion this year on a neutral field and like my chances....Cardinal Gibbons really played a near flawless season but lost to a arguably  top 10 national team twice by a combined 5 points.    Thank you 2017 Cardinal Gibbons for making this a great season.

No doubt, Gibbons was the real deal. In 8A they win state. They may have even won in 7A or 6A as St. Thomas while very good, is a bit down and while Miami Northwestern is an excellent team, Gibbons is probably not far behind and is probably more disciplined. 

I was convinced that Gibbons was the real deal when they came to Orlando and handled Jones with relative ease, as in my opinion only Wekiva in our area is possibly better than Jones (better on defense but not offense). 

25 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

No doubt, Gibbons was the real deal. In 8A they win state. They may have even won in 7A or 6A as St. Thomas while very good, is a bit down and while Miami Northwestern is an excellent team, Gibbons is probably not far behind and is probably more disciplined. 

I was convinced that Gibbons was the real deal when they came to Orlando and handled Jones with relative ease, as in my opinion only Wekiva in our area is possibly better than Jones (better on defense but not offense). 

What I like about Gibbons this year was consistency.  They played a solid but not overwhelming regular season schedule but they won or went toe-to-toe with everything in front of them.  They also showed a variety this year of their ability to play to defensive slugfests and offensive barnburners - vs AHP - Game 1 versus Game 2 - case in point.  

I don't think STA, CM or Miramar could trade blows or execute 8 quarters and 3 OTs of near perfection versus AHP this year.  Cardinal Gibbons did, add in road wins versus Jones and Rockledge as icing on the cake, and I confidently give the Chiefs  the #2 spot in Broward this year.

Although STA is surely down, privates ran Broward in 2017, in a trend that does not seem to be changing anytime soon.

Although they could all beat one another on a given night, I am fairly confident with my Broward final top 5 being:

AHP
Cardinal Gibbons

STA
Chaminade-Madonna
Miramar

23 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

What I like about Gibbons this year was consistency.  They played a solid but not overwhelming regular season schedule but they won or went toe-to-toe with everything in front of them.  They also showed a variety this year of their ability to play to defensive slugfests and offensive barnburners - vs AHP - Game 1 versus Game 2 - case in point.  

I don't think STA, CM or Miramar could trade blows or execute 8 quarters and 3 OTs of near perfection versus AHP this year.  Cardinal Gibbons did, add in road wins versus Jones and Rockledge as icing on the cake, and I confidently give the Chiefs  the #2 spot in Broward this year.

Although STA is surely down, privates ran Broward in 2017, in a trend that does not seem to be changing anytime soon.

Although they could all beat one another on a given night, I am fairly confident with my Broward final top 5 being:

AHP
Cardinal Gibbons

STA
Chaminade-Madonna
Miramar

2015 Hallandale Vs 2017 Cardinal Gibbons woulda been a good game 

1 minute ago, FloTech said:

2017 Cardinal Gibbons would have destroyed 2015 Hallandale. Hallandale was a good team. But Gibbons is probably the best team in the state of Florida to not at least have the chance to play for a State Championship. 

16 minutes ago, FloTech said:

14 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

2017 Cardinal Gibbons would have destroyed 2015 Hallandale. Hallandale was a good team. But Gibbons is probably the best team in the state of Florida to not at least have the chance to play for a State Championship. 

Outside of offensive firepower and matching or perhaps even more starpower on paper, I think Cardinal Gibbons has them beat pretty much everywhere.  I liked 2015 Hallandale as well but I believe Gibbons would be able to trade punches with that Hallandale team in a shootout.  Gibbons would probably dictate the game at the LOS and play keep-away until they likely wear down 2015 Hallandale.  To me that Hallandale team was arguably a top 100 team, this Cardinal Gibbons team is a arguable top 25 team nationally to me.

Matt DuBuc who has been had been with the program a while took over in April of 2016 and has done a amazing job for the program.

This Gibbons team was extremely conditioned, and one of the most balanced teams I have seen in Broward of late, right down to the special teams, and coaching. As previously referenced Gibbons right now is good enough to compete with anyone in the state right down to the wire on a neutral field. . Not sure I could say the same about 2015 Hallandale as I would be extremely worried with their Defense and getting worn down in the trenches. If you give 2015 Hallandale the same 3 game set as 2017 Gibbons in the playoffs, I could see them being a bit challenged..... I admit , I am a bit defensive biased  but I  think 2015 Hallandale  were not ideally built for a long post-season run.  They were good enough to win states in 5A in 2015 but they may not have been consistent enough. 

7 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Outside of offensive firepower and matching or perhaps even more starpower on paper, I think Cardinal Gibbons has them beat pretty much everywhere.  I liked 2015 Hallandale as well but I believe Gibbons would be able to trade punches with that Hallandale team in a shootout.  Gibbons would probably dictate the game at the LOS and play keep-away until they likely wear down 2015 Hallandale.  To me that Hallandale team was arguably a top 100 team, this Cardinal Gibbons team is a arguable top 25 team nationally to me.

Matt DuBuc who has been had been with the program a while took over in April of 2016 and has done a amazing job for the program.

This Gibbons team was extremely conditioned, and one of the most balanced teams I have seen in Broward of late, right down to the special teams, and coaching. As previously referenced Gibbons right now is good enough to compete with anyone in the state right down to the wire on a neutral field. . Not sure I could say the same about 2015 Hallandale as I would be extremely worried with their Defense and getting worn down in the trenches. If you give 2015 Hallandale the same 3 game set as 2017 Gibbons in the playoffs, I could see them being a bit challenged..... I admit , I am a bit defensive biased  but I  think 2015 Hallandale  were not ideally built for a long post-season run.  They were good enough to win states in 5A in 2015 but they may not have been consistent enough. 

Let's put it this way: 2015 Bishop Moore beat Hallandale in a game that they deserved to win. Maybe if the two teams had played ten times, they split 5/5, but I was at the game actually played and BM won fair and square. Now BM went on to win the state title and was, perhaps, a top 80-100 National team. But they were not top 25 nationally. I am pretty sure of that. This Cardinal Gibbons may very well be top 25 nationally. They just had the misfortune to have to get by American Heritage Plantation twice. It's a pity they were not in the North Bracket. We would have had one great State Title game in December.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:47 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

No one was going to destroy 2015 Hallandale IMO.   They were going to be in the game with that O.   

On 11/26/2017 at 6:18 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

Let's put it this way: 2015 Bishop Moore beat Hallandale in a game that they deserved to win. Maybe if the two teams had played ten times, they split 5/5, but I was at the game actually played and BM won fair and square. Now BM went on to win the state title and was, perhaps, a top 80-100 National team. But they were not top 25 nationally. I am pretty sure of that. This Cardinal Gibbons may very well be top 25 nationally. They just had the misfortune to have to get by American Heritage Plantation twice. It's a pity they were not in the North Bracket. We would have had one great State Title game in December.

Matchups though.   2015 AHP put a smack down on IMG.   You think Bishop Moore would have been able to match up with their style vs AHP or IMG?  

Hallandale was in it vs STA until the end.   Split with a solid AHP.  Lost to BM in a close game.    My point is the game was going to be close at worst vs them.  This Gibbon's team isn't a team that was gonna shut them down.  No waay. 

28 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Matchups though.   2015 AHP put a smack down on IMG.   You think Bishop Moore would have been able to match up with their style vs AHP or IMG?  

Hallandale was in it vs STA until the end.   Split with a solid AHP.  Lost to BM in a close game.    My point is the game was going to be close at worst vs them.  This Gibbon's team isn't a team that was gonna shut them down.  No waay. 

2014 Bishop Moore lost by a field goal to AHP at AHP. 2015 BM was deeper and better than 2014 BM. But, I really, really don't think that they would be able to beat this year's Cardinal Gibbons team which I think you are greatly underestimating. 2015 AHP would not beat this CG team either.

Hallandale had a great collection of athletes in 2015 and were a very good team. But they were not a great team. A team full of great athletes is not necessarily great. Although the final score was fairly close, BM won that 2015 showdown with something in hand. 

2017 Apopka had a number of kids on the team that will star in college and many of whom will probably play on Sunday. Yet, they were not a great as a team. A number of things have to fall into place for a team to be great. It is not just the athletes on the roster. Yes, having great athletes helps, but it is not the be all and end all of what makes a team great. Chemistry, coaching, love for your teammates, a deep desire to win it all are all very important. 

9 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

2014 Bishop Moore lost by a field goal to AHP at AHP. 2015 BM was deeper and better than 2014 BM. But, I really, really don't think that they would be able to beat this year's Cardinal Gibbons team which I think you are greatly underestimating. 2015 AHP would not beat this CG team either.

Hallandale had a great collection of athletes in 2015 and were a very good team. But they were not a great team. A team full of great athletes is not necessarily great. Although the final score was fairly close, BM won that 2015 showdown with something in hand. 

2017 Apopka had a number of kids on the team that will star in college and many of whom will probably play on Sunday. Yet, they were not a great as a team. A number of things have to fall into place for a team to be great. It is not just the athletes on the roster. Yes, having great athletes helps, but it is not the be all and end all of what makes a team great. Chemistry, coaching, love for your teammates, a deep desire to win it all are all very important. 

2015 AHP woulda beat this year Cardinal Gibbons team imo

57 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

You are on crack. For that statement means you believe 2015 AHP would beat 2017 AHP and that ain't so. 

Naawww Yardie u smokin to much Marley right now you know AHP almost beat Dematha WHICH WAS A TOP 10 TEAM in this country in 2015 the Only other blemish was a loss to a very very talented Hallandale team that I think could beat 2017 CG on any given night 2015 and 2017 could go either way, actually 2015 AHP was supposed to beat Dematha but TDs were called back from the Patriots

11 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Sure, but let's remember 2014 AHP was a 3 loss team.  2015 is when they really got on the map, and were just huge up front.   AHP in 2014 let AHD score 45 on them, got blanked by STA 38-7 etc.    

2015 AHP lost a nailbiter to national power Dematha Catholic (who whooped state champ Miami Central that year).  They also beat the first truly loaded IMG academy team IMO.   AHP's front would have been a much tougher task for BM, that's why I say matchups.   There are teams out there that can stymie a good option running game, AHP was definitely one of them.

None of that matters though, my point wasn't Hallandale would beat Gibbons, only that Gibbons isn't the type of D to blowout a team like Hallandale.   Hallandale was one of the best O's we've seen in the last few years, and I doubt CG would be able to shut them down completely.   You guys aren't giving guys like Huntley and Moss and those other stud WR's they had at Hallandale back then enough credit.    Those two are lighting it up at the next level.

1 minute ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

To me AHP 2017 > AHP 2015 but AHP 2015 > AHP 2014, 2016 ...

How about Bishop Moore 2014  versus Bishop Moore 2015?

and Jones 2017 versus the better of the two?

Bishop Moore 2015 would beat the 2014 version of BM by about two scores. Bishop Moore 2015 and Jones 2017 would be a very interesting match up.

I will go with BM 15 by the tiniest of margins, say a point or two just because I think the 2015 BM was a little more complete.  But that game could go either way. 2017 Jones was a very good team that just had the misfortune to play in a bracket with CG and AHP. But in any given year, they could have played for and won a state title.