FHSAA Student Population Report

181pl

There are 504 teams that currently are not independent.  I think if you cut the classes more will go independent and I'm ok with that but I will use 504 as the number.

Put 60 in 1A smallest 60 public schools.  No districts 30 teams in the North and 30 teams in the South.  Seed #1-16 using point system

Put 60 in 2A smallest 60 private schools. No districts 30 teams in the North and 30 teams in the South.  Seed #1-16 using point system

That leaves 96 teams in 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A.  16 districts with 6 teams in each district.  Don't make a district less than 5 or more than 7.  District champ plus top 4 wild cards advance  

5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Madison County Population Report:
2017- 530
2016- 529
2015- 574
2014- 593
2013- 597
2012- 672
2011- 681
2010- 688
2009- 697

Blountstown Population Report:
2017- 434
2016- 426
2015- 415
2014- 425
2013- 413
2012- 411
2011- 396
2010- 404
2009- 409

Idk how Madison would be dropping in enrollment 

They only high school in county so they not losing pull to other schools 

3 minutes ago, TigerRed said:

Sorry I do apologize, a friend sent this to me and I posted before checking it out it was an old one from 2013. Again I apologize. 

No worries 

I was curious bc if it was correct i was about to find out how Madison stayed in 1a yet Taylor County and Fort White with less weren't allowed to be 1a Lol

Badbird,

According to the 2 year breakdown for classifications Class 3A is defined as 291-680 students.  According to the student population report listed:

American Heritage Delray: 865
Tampa Catholic 763:

I have a MAJOR PROBLEM with teams being over the limit by 10% or more. I understand it's not the student population, but the individual athlete, but the rest of the 3A schools are in between 450-575.  

6 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Badbird,

According to the 2 year breakdown for classifications Class 3A is defined as 291-680 students.  According to the student population report listed:

American Heritage Delray: 865
Tampa Catholic 763:

I have a MAJOR PROBLEM with teams being over the limit by 10% or more. I understand it's not the student population, but the individual athlete, but the rest of the 3A schools are in between 450-575.  

I bet they petitioned down.  Not sure but would be my guess.  That's another thing I dislike is allowing teams to move after you put them in a district.  Make it fair do your research and make it final. This is why we end up with 3 team districts because people petition to move out of a district.  I have never seen a team petition to get out of a weak district by the way.

I will say it and say it over and over until I am blue in the face....

THE FHSAA CANNOT HAVE SEPARATE PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CLASSIFICATIONS!

The reason is that legislators in Tallahassee have threatened them over the years if they consider this they will shut them down.

Now with that out of the way... let me respond to some of the other thoughts here.

1. They had sunset the rule about moving down... but that came around the same time the last reclassification happened. I feel this will certainly be addressed. Schools should not be asking to move down a classification unless it would create undue hardship due to geography (which is extremely rare like Pensacola Catholic who would have been in the same district a way while back with the Jax schools in 3A and that would have been an issue, but they went to 5A and did pretty well there). 

2. A 5-year average as @gatorman-uf has suggested I think is a very smart way. It forces the schools to not fudge the numbers. However, the public schools can get fined if they are caught doing this and not reporting the same numbers as they are on the FTE, so please do note that. 

3. As for @SPCjessica2004 with her concerns, I totally see the issue. However, we are in the middle of the 4-year cycle where the division lines fell at. So we have to get through the 2018 season and then we will be talking about where things will go with reclassification.

4. The FHSAA could consolidate down to 7 in football and we would be fine with likely the same number of playoff spots likely still in the fold. As for 1A itself as the rural class, the 600 gap is going to have to come off. There are schools that got moved out of 1A and aren't likely coming back in because the numbers are not coming down.. like Newberry... South Walton is totally out of it. 

5. With the growth boom starting to happen again in Florida. A 4-year cycle in my opinion should never happen again. We need to reclassify every two years. I am looking at Osceola County right now and all the schools with the exception of Poinciana should be in 8A right now. I know they are about to build a new high school soon, that could make all the schools at least 7A when the start shifting zones, but looking at different areas, you got areas booming and the numbers have totally changed since the last reclassification which used the 2014 numbers.... so there is that.