Atlantic versus Miami High

BrowardHandicapper

This should be a great one.  Atlantic Delray has been quietly surging of late and I am not surprised they playing in this game as the 8A South dust is clearing.....   Many wrote Atlantic off after a slow start particularly offensively but this Atlantic team may have the athletes and team speed to slow down Miami High's loaded team.....

I wouldn't pencil in Miami High to Orlando yet...

Saw a great one tonight in this match.  Crowd was likely  5,000 + and Atlantic's defense contained Miami for the most part from big plays.  Miami scores on the first drive of the game in about 8 plays to go up 7-0 early.  Miami had a chance to build on a 13-7 lead with seconds to go in the first half and faked a chip shot FG, which turned into a Atlantic 101 INT return giving the Eagles momentum going into halftime up 14-13.  Atlantic added to that lead and took the opening second half KO to the house and went up 20-13 with the missed XP.  Early to mid  4th quarter Miami finally had a drive and found the endzone , went for 2 and successfully went up 21-20 .  6 minutes left Miami has another drive going but Atlantic holds and gets the ball on their own 35.  Atlantic QB takes a big hit fumbles and 1/3rd of the Atlantic stadium left after Miami got the ball back.  Sure enough Atlantic holds again and gets the ball back with 3 minutes to go.  Atlantic completes a 45 yard pass, followed by a personal foul after the play and they are well in the red zone.  With under a minute left , Atlantic finds pay dirt , completes the  two point conversion and takes a 28-21 lead.  They kick off to Miami, and are on top of the play like white on rice.  Atlantic then pretty much contains Miami for under 20 yards while time runs out. Atlanic wins 28-21.

The game turned into a turnover/defensive battle.  3 pick sixes ( 2 ATL, 1 MIA).  

Overall, Atlantic's defense contained Miami RB Johnny Ford and pretty much eliminated large gains.  The game could have gone any way but Atlantic's defense to me just had a little too much team speed for the Miami offense to get going.  Take away the the Miami High pick 6 and they only really had 2 successful drives in the game.   One other thing I noticed is Miami High appeared to only have about 40-45 players and Atlantic seemed to have a lot more dressed.  Miami High needed some work in the kicking/punting game.  Atlantic's was a little better. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

In the North Bracket DP dominated Wekiva winning 28-7 easily. It could have been worse. Wekiva's QB through four interceptions two of which resulted in touchdowns. 

DP vs Atlantic should be a very interesting, good title game. Can DP finally break the jinks and not end up being another Edgewater? 

I agree.  Looking forward to this one.....I would favor DP here slightly providing they are on par with last year.  

19 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I agree.  Looking forward to this one.....I would favor DP here slightly providing they are on par with last year.  

In my opinion, their defense is not quite as good. Offensively, they are about the same. However, the way they are running it is a bit different. Their current QB does not have the upside potential that the prior one had. But, at the high school level, he may be more effective. 

I could see this game going either way. As a Central Florida resident, I would like DP to win and finally break through. However, they will need to play their best game to do so.

This has been very much an up and down year in the largest Florida class. From one week to the next no team has really stood out out and many teams played up and down. DP may have peaked at the right time. We will see next Saturday.