Just an Observation by an Old Timer

Proseteye

The other day I saw an amazing football game:

1) The player's hair fit under their helmets.

2) No tattoos could be seen.

3) There were no outlandish end zone celebrations.

4) There was no taunting.

5) Opposition players helped each other up after a play.

6) Footballs were not spiked or left for the referee to retrieve; they were handed to the referee.

7) No one took a knee on the sidelines.

8) Players stood at attention during the playing of the national anthem.

9) It was great to watch an Army/Navy game.    B)

What happened to #8?  

1) The player's hair fit under their helmets.  Who cares what their hair looks like

2) No tattoos could be seen.  Who cares if they have tatoos 

3) There were no outlandish end zone celebrations.  that's the NFL penalties still in college and high school

4) There was no taunting. That's a flag and should be controlled by the ref

5) Opposition players helped each other up after a play. Football is a violent sport helping the opposition up in times of battle is not necessary

6) Footballs were not spiked or left for the referee to retrieve; they were handed to the referee.  Also a flag 

7) No one took a knee on the sidelines.  I bet they did just not during the anthem, I think both teams take a knee and pray.

9) Players stood at attention during the playing of the national anthem.  It would be great to have some respect back in this country but that was gone a long time ago.  I don't agree with the kneeling during the national anthem but I do agree with their right to protest I just think it should be done another way.  

10) It was great to watch an Army/Navy game.  The Army/Navy game is great but not for the 8 reasons mentioned above.  It is great because you usually have undersized men, not as athletic but giving it their all to make up for what they lack in physical ability.  These men usually have high character and will serve and lead our country one day.  They play it for the love of the game. 

While i don't agree with how they did it they have a right to peaceful protest which is guaranteed in the First Amendment 

Keep in mind our founding fathers did what was considered "disrespect" but they did it to get fair treatment and they did it for the right reasons

While kneeling during the anthem may not have been most respectful option they weren't doing it to be disrespectful to the military, they were doing it for change and in their heart they feel what they are doing is in good conscience 

Also remember it was a military member who first suggested that kap kneel because kneeling is considered more respectful then sitting during the bench

I remember what the cowboys did when they stood and locked arms during the anthem but kneeled before and after the anthem to show they weren't protesting the flag or the military 

Been to quite a number of those games.  Never saw or felt such a tense, charged atmosphere at any other football game, especially the closer you sit to either the corps of cadets or the midshipmen sections.  The energy put out on the field seeps up into the stands like a fast rising tide, sorta like bein engulfed in an approaching firefight without weapons.  All you get is a relentless, no-surrender battle of iron wills till the final whistle.  To see how they honor this game we love by the unique character of their on-field sportsmanship is a very rare occurrence these days.

IMO, this years game was the most exciting I ever saw,  and that goes back to 1959 when a bunch of us runny-nosed local 8-year old's jumped a side gate at the old Municipal Stadium, chased by ushers and the cops only to disappear in the 100K + crowd.  We never thought about how football should be played the same way after seeing that first game.  It was about grown men playin the game right only for the team, leaving your guts on the grass if that's what it took.  You didn't have to be good,  you just had to put all your heart, your focus, and your effort into every minute of each workout, each practice and all games .... even if you were a bench scrub.  It was easy to be happy yet humble in victory,  and without regrets and wiser after a well-fought loss.

Witnessing just one Army-Navy game should be on every diehard fan's bucket list.

BEAT ARMY !!!

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

The other day I saw an amazing football game:

1) The player's hair fit under their helmets.

2) No tattoos could be seen.

3) There were no outlandish end zone celebrations.

4) There was no taunting.

5) Opposition players helped each other up after a play.

6) Footballs were not spiked or left for the referee to retrieve; they were handed to the referee.

7) No one took a knee on the sidelines.

9) Players stood at attention during the playing of the national anthem.

10) It was great to watch an Army/Navy game.    B)

We all would agree that kids seek attention. And what gets attention nowadays on TV?.  ...the more outrageous the better, right?   

The boring, plain Jane bball player who minds his business  and plays in workman-like fashion does not sell sneakers nearly as well as the Dennis Rodman's of the world, does he?   There were probably numerous acts of good sportsmanship in the UGA-Alabama game, but who was all over the internet the next day?  ...the kid who acted up on the sidelines.  And parents know that kids will choose "bad" attention over no attention all day long, won't they?

A big problem is the media.  They glamorize looks and behaviors that stretch the limits, because that is what sells.  The reason I don't care for outrageous endzone celebrations or outrageous hairdos is not an ethical dilemma of "right" or "wrong."  It's the "look at me" attitude that goes along with it...something that has no place in a team sport. 

There is a good documentary about Brian Bosworth, one of the most famous "outrageous" college football players-crazy hair for the day and giving the finger to opposing fans.  It is interesting to hear him now as an adult with a son talk about how disruptive and childish his behavior was when he was a big college start at Oklahoma.  He was ego run wild, and he admits it now. 

What I don't care for about thingAll we can do is to reinforce the behaviors we find desirable 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

While i don't agree with how they did it they have a right to peaceful protest which is guaranteed in the First Amendment 

Keep in mind our founding fathers did what was considered "disrespect" but they did it to get fair treatment and they did it for the right reasons

While kneeling during the anthem may not have been most respectful option they weren't doing it to be disrespectful to the military, they were doing it for change and in their heart they feel what they are doing is in good conscience 

Also remember it was a military member who first suggested that kap kneel because kneeling is considered more respectful then sitting during the bench

I remember what the cowboys did when they stood and locked arms during the anthem but kneeled before and after the anthem to show they weren't protesting the flag or the military 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Also keep in mind to keep this football related or it will have to be moved to off topic 

do+as+i+say.jpg

On 1/10/2018 at 4:29 PM, badbird said:

What happened to #8?  

1) The player's hair fit under their helmets.  Who cares what their hair looks like

3) There were no outlandish end zone celebrations.  that's the NFL penalties still in college and high school

5) Opposition players helped each other up after a play. Football is a violent sport helping the opposition up in times of battle is not necessary

6) Footballs were not spiked or left for the referee to retrieve; they were handed to the referee.  Also a flag 

7) No one took a knee on the sidelines.  I bet they did just not during the anthem, I think both teams take a knee and pray.

9) Players stood at attention during the playing of the national anthem.  It would be great to have some respect back in this country but that was gone a long time ago.  I don't agree with the kneeling during the national anthem but I do agree with their right to protest I just think it should be done another way.  

10) It was great to watch an Army/Navy game.  The Army/Navy game is great but not for the 8 reasons mentioned above.  It is great because you usually have undersized men, not as athletic but giving it their all to make up for what they lack in physical ability.  These men usually have high character and will serve and lead our country one day.  They play it for the love of the game. 

Well, my friend, I grew up possibly in a different era than you did. During my younger years all football teams pretty much adhered to the same practice as the service academies. It was just another time in history that has long since disappeared. ;)

2 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Well, my friend, I grew up possibly in a different era than you did. During my younger years all football teams pretty much adhered to the same practice as the service academies. It was just another time in history that has long since disappeared. ;)

I doubt you are much older.  I've just adjusted with times.  Appearance means little too me.  How they act does.  What happened to #8?

I have short hair, I don't have any tattoo's.  I grew up in a strict home that was definitely old school.  My dad was an old school football coach.  I learned from one of the best.  I also grew up in a country town that was definitely more on the racist side.  When I was young my family took in a young black man that had been kicked out of his home and we welcomed him into our home and accepted him as family.  He is well over 50 now and still comes to our family gatherings.   He lived with us for seven years and that changed some of my views on things.  I grew up in a small white town where everyone was pretty much the same.  I had never really met anyone other than white or black person until I went to college.  It was quite a culture shock but I adjusted.  As I got older (not that old mid 20's) I and started coaching inner city kids and I realized they didn't have the same back ground as me.  I accepted them for who they were, long hair, tattoos and all.  I loved them as they were my kids.  What I did not accept was lack of discipline or lack of character.  I was tough on my kids and held them accountable.  I've seen many kids that have had such horrible upbringings become successful men in society.  It isn't about looks to me.  I don't judge a man on his race or appearance I judge them by their actions.  Now don't think I'm calling you a racist because I'm not.  I'm telling you my story.  I've learned to adjust to times but I'm still old school.       

We have experienced drastic changes in the past 25 years.  Those changes have made some of us very uncomfortable on a number of fronts.  Why would we not expect sport to change drastically as well, and likewise elicit certain mixed feelings? 

It has been said that sports are a reflection of the society in which we live...a microcosm.  The changes we see in our game today are linked to changing values and norms in our society and underlying tensions related to those changes often show their face in sport.  Our challenge is to figure out which of these changes are "good changes," and which are a warning of a future train wreck.

For some of these kids, sports are possibly the only setting in which they feel empowered to express themselves and their individuality.  Sometimes their behavior frustrates us, but I think we need to remember that we have created this stage for them, and some kids really take advantage of that opportunity to express their dramatic talents.;)  

As a coach, teacher or mentor, my job is to look for that creative genius in a kid and nurture it.   It may manifest itself in a manner that is foreign to me.  I am not a big fan of rap music, but I have come to appreciate the creativity in it, and recognized that by doing so I might make a connection with a kid and tap into that creative genius...and unleash it to do greater things . If I don't have a keen eye and open mind, I may miss that opportunity. 

On 1/10/2018 at 4:29 PM, badbird said:

What happened to #8?  

Thank you I don't have to answer this post LOL.

I guess if we rewind the clock some 40 50 years it would all be perfect.... Except well... I don't think bama would be winning titles with the type of recruits their pulling in at that time.

21 hours ago, Proseteye said:

I am pretty sure I am glad I did not grow up in that time (I was born in 82)... I do not think I would have the same opportunities then than I do now... if ya catch my drift.  Wasn't all porch peachy for everyone. 

8 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Thank you I don't have to answer this post LOL.

I guess if we rewind the clock some 40 50 years it would all be perfect.... Except well... I don't think bama would be winning titles with the type of recruits their pulling in at that time.

...my parents always used to say "life was simpler then," and theirs did the same ...not "better," but simpler.  And now I find myself saying the same:blink:.  I have no idea how a young athlete today can concentrate on anything other than football when I read stuff like this....   

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/tennessee_sends_recruit_102_le.html

...the one boy's comment..."It was shocking and it shows me that they think highly of me and really love me.  It makes me feel important." 

When I read that line, I thought to myself, "What would my reaction be if a guy was sending my teenage daughter 100 letters a day and she told me that he must really love me and it makes me feel important."  I would be calling that guy a "predator" and calling the police.  Think about it:huh:  

The article below makes me absolutely cringe...

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/05/19/11-college-football-recruiting-tactics-stories-methods

...and this is progress?  All of these "opportunities" are coming at a very heavy cost.  Amongst teenagers, we are seeing rising suicide rates, skyrocketing opioid overdoses, increasing rates of depression, etc etc.  If progress is supposed to be making their lives richer, what's wrong?  Just yesterday I heard one of the top recruits in Alabama has been convicted of murder.

Yes, there are a number of new "opportunities" nowadays, but some very important ones have been lost along the way, and those far outweigh any progress we have made...the ability to play simply for the joy of playing and nothing more(the essence of creativity)...not for a college scholarship, not for a highlight on the internet, or a posting on my social media site.  

Don't mean to sound critical of anything you said, Peezy.    I find that each year I get older, things become more and more clear to me because I have more perspective.  In some cases, progress is worth the cost..sometimes not.  Bottom line, is hs football enriching the lives of kids at a spiritual level to enable them to grow as young men?  Or is it just becoming a distraction that temporarily props up their self-worth only to let them crash later in life because that emptiness from growing up without a father was never filled?  When I read about that kid in Alabama, it makes me wonder.    

comes too heavyComputers are progress, but they came at the cost of me working round the clock versus shutting down at 5PM.       

Well said, Old School. We just grew up in a different era. An era that most younger people today could not even envision in their most lucid moments. I would not even go into details. Suffice to say that our time was light years away from what the country and the world is today. Like I have always said to my son, it's as if I lived on a different planet compared to what he lives on, it's that much of a difference.

11 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Well said, Old School. We just grew up in a different era. An era that most younger people today could not even envision in their most lucid moments. I would not even go into details. Suffice to say that our time was light years away from what the country and the world is today. Like I have always said to my son, it's as if I lived on a different planet compared to what he lives on, it's that much of a difference.

Proseteye, Not sure if you ever coached or spent countless hours day in and day out with the youth of today, but you would be pleasantly surprised if you did. The social media era we live in can give a distorted picture of reality. Just like you, I get sickened with some of the posts from high school athletes but I do have an insiders prospective of these young men. I truly believe with my experiences that most HS kids want to be challenged and pushed to exceed. I coach at a school where 90% are on free or reduced lunch (which means they are homeless or financially unstable). I found that those type of kids will run through a brick wall for you, only if you show them discipline and love. Just like Bad Bird said, I dont care if their hair is long or if they have tattoos. I realized a long time ago that the way a kid looks does not dictate their character or integrity. The school I coach at is very successful in the majority of sports we provide. I know that is due to the fight and toughness of the kids and the guidance of the coaches and staff. To be honest I feel challenged when people portray their distorted views without any hands on knowledge. My advise to you would be to go to a successful central florida program like Apopka, Osceola, Dr. Phillips, Etc.... and experience the positive work that is being done. It might even bring you back to the "good ole days" when kids had integrity and were tough as nails. (WARNING..........some may have dreads, gold teeth, and listen to Kodak Black)

9 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Proseteye, Not sure if you ever coached or spent countless hours day in and day out with the youth of today, but you would be pleasantly surprised if you did. The social media era we live in can give a distorted picture of reality. Just like you, I get sickened with some of the posts from high school athletes but I do have an insiders prospective of these young men. I truly believe with my experiences that most HS kids want to be challenged and pushed to exceed. I coach at a school where 90% are on free or reduced lunch (which means they are homeless or financially unstable). I found that those type of kids will run through a brick wall for you, only if you show them discipline and love. Just like Bad Bird said, I dont care if their hair is long or if they have tattoos. I realized a long time ago that the way a kid looks does not dictate their character or integrity. The school I coach at is very successful in the majority of sports we provide. I know that is due to the fight and toughness of the kids and the guidance of the coaches and staff. To be honest I feel challenged when people portray their distorted views without any hands on knowledge. My advise to you would be to go to a successful central florida program like Apopka, Osceola, Dr. Phillips, Etc.... and experience the positive work that is being done. It might even bring you back to the "good ole days" when kids had integrity and were tough as nails. (WARNING..........some may have dreads, gold teeth, and listen to Kodak Black)

...nice post.  Just last night I met with about 25 youth struggling with addiction.  I think kids who are struggling today are a bit more grounded.  Maybe they don't have as much time to get so wrapped up in "fluff" because they are fighting for their lives.

It's ironic that some folks in our country point to the poor as "entitled" and expecting a handout.  I am convinced that many people who make such statements have never had to live it.  I recently had two young college grads working for me who were the epitome of self-centered, entitled, "life owes me something" attitudes.  They obviously were spoiled rotten by their parents growing up.  And when I tried to push them they got an attitude and a half. 

I'll take the kids described in the post above any day, gold teeth and all.   

I have never coached football. However, I have coached soccer. I brought a traveling team, that had never won a game, to the Florida Governors Cup. Of course none of the players were minorities or from broken homes. However, I had to take a rag tag bunch all doing their own thing, and molded them into a disciplined powerhouse. I had many opposing team's fans come up to me and ask how my team played so well, just like professionals. I always said, you should have seen them a year ago.

I was also an officer in the US Navy and had many types of young people under my command. All different ethnicity's and cultures.  I found that setting a sense of discipline, was at first fought against and then appreciated, as many had never had any discipline at home. I think that is what is severely lacking in many homes and schools these days. Also, I don't think that most HS coaches get respect from their players since the players bring those attitudes and bad habits to the gridiron. This is the point I was trying to make with my original posting about the Army/Navy game.

Do a search for "coach" and "parents" and one is overwhelmed how many articles there are.  Just as the kids today are different, the parents are equally "different."  And parents are sometimes making it more difficult for teachers and coaches to operate.  Like it or not, parents are part of the equation now-much moreso than in the past. 

It's easy for us to bitch about the situation, but last year I challenged myself to do a better job of understanding my "customers."  I learned a lot.  ...including how my behavior was being misinterpreted in a negative way.   What was "normal" 30 years can be looked upon as "strange" or even "hostile" today.

I've had to adjust my style.  The "sit down, shut up and listen" environment that some of us grew up in does not work today.  The challenge is finding the sweet spot between that and the "it's my first day of practice and I want to be calling the shots" mindset that is so prevalent today. 

In a funny way, I think coaches may actually be better off then teachers or work supervisors.  At least a coach can get away with a certain amount of "tough love."  Try that in the classroom or workplace and you will get a complaint filed against you in a heartbeat.

Recognizing that some parents today are sending the WRONG message to their kids about athletics, I think the role of the coach today is more important than ever.   

18 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Do a search for "coach" and "parents" and one is overwhelmed how many articles there are.  Just as the kids today are different, the parents are equally "different."  And parents are sometimes making it more difficult for teachers and coaches to operate.  Like it or not, parents are part of the equation now-much moreso than in the past. 

It's easy for us to bitch about the situation, but last year I challenged myself to do a better job of understanding my "customers."  I learned a lot.  ...including how my behavior was being misinterpreted in a negative way.   What was "normal" 30 years can be looked upon as "strange" or even "hostile" today.

I've had to adjust my style.  The "sit down, shut up and listen" environment that some of us grew up in does not work today.  The challenge is finding the sweet spot between that and the "it's my first day of practice and I want to be calling the shots" mindset that is so prevalent today. 

In a funny way, I think coaches may actually be better off then teachers or work supervisors.  At least a coach can get away with a certain amount of "tough love."  Try that in the classroom or workplace and you will get a complaint filed against you in a heartbeat.

Recognizing that some parents today are sending the WRONG message to their kids about athletics, I think the role of the coach today is more important than ever.   

Oh don't get me started on the parents LMAO 

Money corrupts and apparently influence does too, i remember my first year at football their was a parent (who had way more power then they should have had) who was going to use their spot in booster club to force the coach to play his kid or he was going to try and get the coach removed 

Luckily most saw right through the idea and shot the parents plan down and he eventually just transferred his kid to a different school, where he didn't even start at the position there either lol

Nothing personal against the kid but i found it funny the parent made a big deal about trying to get his kid to start yet he transferred to a school with 1/3rd the roster size and actually got less playing time then he did here

So the parent did more damage then good 

Also kids today are so unmotivated, plus i saw every year whenever at beginning of year the teacher would ask if their previous teacher taught them anything they would say no (yet i was in the class and real reason they never learned was they sat there talking the entire year or on the phone)

No accountability these days with some kids

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Oh don't get me started on the parents LMAO 

Money corrupts and apparently influence does too, i remember my first year at football their was a parent (who had way more power then they should have had) who was going to use their spot in booster club to force the coach to play his kid or he was going to try and get the coach removed 

Luckily most saw right through the idea and shot the parents plan down and he eventually just transferred his kid to a different school, where he didn't even start at the position there either lol

Nothing personal against the kid but i found it funny the parent made a big deal about trying to get his kid to start yet he transferred to a school with 1/3rd the roster size and actually got less playing time then he did here

So the parent did more damage then good 

Also kids today are so unmotivated, plus i saw every year whenever at beginning of year the teacher would ask if their previous teacher taught them anything they would say no (yet i was in the class and real reason they never learned was they sat there talking the entire year or on the phone)

No accountability these days with some kids

When I played organized baseball many years ago, our new coach had his twin sons playing for him.  My buddy and I were the two best players on the team and we got stuck in the outfield while his boys, who were terrible, played the infield.  Everyone in the whole league noticed what was happening.  I had coaches from other teams consoling me.

My parents never said anything to the coach and told me I better learn how to deal with it constructively.  I guess their mindset was, "Son, you better get used to how things sometimes work in the real world and learn to make the best of it."  In retrospect, it was a good lesson.  My guess is that many parents today would feel obligated to "defend" their child and guilty if they did not.

I believe that "guilt" drives some parental behavior.  They spend less time with the kids and have less confidence in the kid's ability to adapt, so they end up going overboard with teachers and coaches and even employers.  They are afraid to let the kids fail and experience "pain."   As a result, some kids really struggle adapting when things do not go their way.