Winless Teams Making Playoffs

OldSchoolLion

26 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This was an interesting situation in Virginia.  Was curious if we have had similar experiences with winless teams making playoffs.   

http://www.newsleader.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/12/02/high-school-football-teams-0-10-playoffs-how-come/908912001/

I don't think it's happened yet but we have had a 1-9 Eastside team make the playoffs 2 years ago

30 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This was an interesting situation in Virginia.  Was curious if we have had similar experiences with winless teams making playoffs.   

http://www.newsleader.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/12/02/high-school-football-teams-0-10-playoffs-how-come/908912001/

Sounds like they need to drop a class since that bottom class is way too small 

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Under the old rules where district champions and runners up only, made the playoffs, it was not possible since Districts had to have at least three teams. Under the new points system, I am not sure whether this is theoretically possible or not. Someone who has looked at the different scenarios would have to tell me.

However, I would not be surprised if it could be theoretically possible. But I would have to think it would be extremely unlikely since playoff teams are now decided by region after the district champ spot has been filled. I have a hard time thinking that a no win team could win the 7th or 8th sport in a region. 

21 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Under the old rules where district champions and runners up only, made the playoffs, it was not possible since Districts had to have at least three teams. Under the new points system, I am not sure whether this is theoretically possible or not. Someone who has looked at the different scenarios would have to tell me.

However, I would not be surprised if it could be theoretically possible. But I would have to think it would be extremely unlikely since playoff teams are now decided by region after the district champ spot has been filled. I have a hard time thinking that a no win team could win the 7th or 8th sport in a region. 

Actually in 2a before they got rid of districts we had NFC and FAMU in a 2 team district but they always had at least 1 win while in that 2 team district 

50 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Actually in 2a before they got rid of districts we had NFC and FAMU in a 2 team district but they always had at least 1 win while in that 2 team district 

Really? So both were guaranteed a playoff spot? That is terrible. No team should have an automatic birth in the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

All the more reason to never, ever have three team districts. But with the new system, the inequity is somewhat reduced since only the champ would get a birth automatically. 

I did have a proposal written up that would have no district smaller than 5 

But i doubt fhsaa would ever consider it 

8 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

In the new system, if a team lost every game to a Category 1 team and those Category 1 teams were playoff teams the year before, they would average 38 points. For some classifications that will be enough points to make the playoffs as #8 seed. I look forward to this eventually happening

I guess a team like ISB, which schedules powerhouses would be a likely candidate. Not sure whether they play are postseason eligible, though. 

Hopefully, we move on to a new system or fixes are made to the current one, that prevent a no win team from ever making the playoffs before it happens. 

9 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

In the new system, if a team lost every game to a Category 1 team and those Category 1 teams were playoff teams the year before, they would average 38 points. For some classifications that will be enough points to make the playoffs as #8 seed. I look forward to this eventually happening. 

Outside of maybe img who is going to play 10 cat 1 teams? 

Most teams have rivals who are at bottom or district bottom feeders which means I doubt it happens 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I guess a team like ISB, which schedules powerhouses would be a likely candidate. Not sure whether they play are postseason eligible, though. 

Hopefully, we move on to a new system or fixes are made to the current one, that prevent a no win team from ever making the playoffs before it happens. 

They dropped to independent so no

Also i still feel this system a huge upgrade off that lazy old out of date system that looks too simple to be middle school playoff format in Wyoming much less a high school playoff format in Florida 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They dropped to independent so no

Also i still feel this system a huge upgrade off that lazy old out of date system that looks too simple to be middle school playoff format in Wyoming much less a high school playoff format in Florida 

Complexity is the preserve of the knave. Simplicity, is oft the essence of beauty.

On a serious note, though, I am still on the fence regarding the new system. I will give it two more seasons, with adjustments as holes are discovered. If by then, it still has some of the flaws exposed last season, then I would prefer we go back to what we had, but with the elimination of three team districts. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Complexity is the preserve of the knave. Simplicity, is oft the essence of beauty.

On a serious note, though, I am still on the fence regarding the new system. I will give it two more seasons, with adjustments as holes are discovered. If by then, it still has some of the flaws exposed last season, then I would prefer we go back to what we had, but with the elimination of three team districts. 

Problem is teams are crybabies about travel and want everything handed to them which is why we have 3 team districts in first place 

Sometimes if wonder if all these gyrations might be for naught.  If football moves in the direction of basketball, maybe playoffs won't even matter that much anymore.  I get the impression that the big-name basketball teams are much more into the tournaments than state playoffs, but maybe I am wrong.

It is hard for a college coach to justify travel to a single game in some out-of-the-way place to see 1 or 2 athletes.  Showcase events are better for them to evaluate a lot of talent in one trip.  I could see things moving in this direction.  Imagine 4 or 8 loaded teams traveling to a central location and playing 2 or 3 games.  Maybe teams don't play every week.     

Am not saying I agree with it, but it seems as if the purpose of the big sports any more is much less about competition and more about becoming a showcase for individual athletes.  Look at some of ESPN's games.  They will often pick a lousy game over a more competitive one simply to showcase a key athlete(s).    

56 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Am not saying I agree with it, but it seems as if the purpose of the big sports any more is much less about competition and more about becoming a showcase for individual athletes.  Look at some of ESPN's games.  They will often pick a lousy game over a more competitive one simply to showcase a key athlete(s).    

The above is more and more driven by the fact that high school sports in general, is seen as the "farm" for big college athletics, which serves as the farm for the pros (NFL, NBA, ). But in a sense, this makes us poorer as much of what made high school games fun, the rivalry, the innocent naivete, goes the way of the dodo and we are left with sport as just another career ... monetizing everything sometimes impoverishes us all ...