Question about the FHSAA district assignments

Georgiaflyer

Hello everyone! I’m m a new transplant here from Georgia. I have been following GHSA sports for over 20+ years. I now follow a team, Gateway Charter High School, in Fort Myers. I had a question regarding FHSAA district assignments (regions as we call them in Georgia). How often does the FHSAA re-evaluate district assignments? I actually like the classification break downs as they seem pretty fairly split up (a big problem Georgia had for a while). After doing some pretty thorough research I still found myself somewhat confused by how they actually draw the districts up. Gateway Charter for example is in District 5 Class 4A for football. Their Fall 2017 enrollment is 552 on the FHSAA website. Why would they be placed in Class 4A (681-1,114)? Is it based on student population from 4 years ago when Gateway Charter had a larger enrollment? Do they do mid cycle reviews if a school increases or decreases say more than 20% every 2 years? It also seems Gateway has a different slate of district members and classifications for each sport which is where it gets tricky for new fans such as myself. For example, Cardinal Mooney is in our district in baseball but not for any other sport. Also, Gateway Charter is in 5A for basketball, 4A for most other sports and Soccer is 2A. Somewhat confusing. I'm sure it has something to do with even distribution of member playing schools in that sport and the number of classes. In Georgia, you are assigned one classification and you play in the same district with members across the board in all sports (unless they don't field the sport). Just wondering if anyone could fill me in how things are done here in Florida.

Also, what sites are the most popular for talking HS sports? Georgia has two main ones but I can’t seem to find many for Florida. Gateway Charter girls hoops are having a really good year. Looking forward to the basketball playoffs around the corner!

5 minutes ago, Georgiaflyer said:

Hello everyone! I’m m a new transplant here from Georgia. I have been following GHSA sports for over 20 years. I now follow a team, Gateway Charter, in Fort Myers. I had a question regarding high school district assignments (regions as we call them in Georgia). How often does the FHSAA re-evaluate district assignments. I actually like the classification break downs but confused by how they actually draw the districts up. Gateway Charter (public school) for example is in district 5-4A for FB. Their fall 2017 enrollment is 550 or so. Why would they be placed in class 4A (681-1,114)? Also it seems they have a different slate of district members and classifications for each sport. For example, Cardinal Mooney is in our district in baseball but not for any other sport. Also, Gateway Charter is in 5A for basketball and 4A for most other sports. Soccer is 2A. Somewhat confusing. In Georgia it is one classification and the same region (district) members across the board in all sports. Just wondering if anyone could fill me in! Thanks

Also, what sites are the most popular for talking HS sports? Georgia has two main ones but I can’t seem to find many for Florida.

Welcome!  Where in Georgia?

21 minutes ago, Georgiaflyer said:

Hello everyone! I’m m a new transplant here from Georgia. I have been following GHSA sports for over 20 years. I now follow a team, Gateway Charter, in Fort Myers. I had a question regarding high school district assignments (regions as we call them in Georgia). How often does the FHSAA re-evaluate district assignments. I actually like the classification break downs but confused by how they actually draw the districts up. Seems like a pretty fair breakdown of classes. Gateway Charter (public school) for example is in district 5-4A for football. Their fall 2017 enrollment is 552 on the FHSAA website. Why would they be placed in class 4A (681-1,114)? Is it based on student population from 4 years ago when Gateway had a larger enrollment? Do they do mid cycle reviews (every 2 years)? It also seems Gateway has a different slate of district members and classifications for each sport which gets tricky for new fans. For example, Cardinal Mooney is in our district in baseball but not for any other sport. Also, Gateway Charter is in 5A for basketball, 4A for most other sports and Soccer is 2A. Somewhat confusing. In Georgia it is one classification and the same district members across the board in all sports. Just wondering if anyone could fill me in! Thanks

Also, what sites are the most popular for talking HS sports? Georgia has two main ones but I can’t seem to find many for Florida. Gateway Charter girls hoops are having a really good year.

I also notice that not many teams use ScoreStream. It’s another great way to keep up to date with scores thru their app. Any fan at a game can update scores. Helps when you can’t be there. (Not affiliated with them. Just enjoy their app as a fan and wanted to share. We can never have to many score reporting outlets, IMO.)

It's on 4 year cycles 

Also we talk all sports here in off-topic section 

Also the main forum you can talk any state even though it is mostly Florida

You can also talk college and pro there