FHSAA Football District Assignments

Georgiaflyer

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

They jumped from 1A to 4A this year.  That at play too?

The only problem is that they were playing basically the same teams in 2017 in 4A that they were playing in 2016 and before in 1A. Just because they moved up 3 classes did not mean that their schedule was any more difficult. In fact in 1A they used to play Wakulla and Madison, two teams that are better than the 4A teams that they played. I think that losing their championship coach had a great deal to do with their fall off. ;)

37 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

The only problem is that they were playing basically the same teams in 2017 in 4A that they were playing in 2016 and before in 1A. Just because they moved up 3 classes did not mean that their schedule was any more difficult. In fact in 1A they used to play Wakulla and Madison, two teams that are better than the 4A teams that they played. I think that losing their championship coach had a great deal to do with their fall off. ;)

...often the case.  

Look at what happened to Rutherford after they lost Steve Hardin..or after Jim Scroggins left Bay.  

Rutherford was a powerhouse under Hardin and I don't think they have won a playoff game in the 15-or-so years since. 

There were a number of good coaches in the panhandle back in the day.  In 2003, we started having years with no state champions in the upper classes from the Panhandle.  It seems like that decline coincided with a lot of those good coaches having moved on. 

11 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...often the case.  

Look at what happened to Rutherford after they lost Steve Hardin..or after Jim Scroggins left Bay.  

Rutherford was a powerhouse under Hardin and I don't think they have won a playoff game in the 15-or-so years since. 

There were a number of good coaches in the panhandle back in the day.  In 2003, we started having years with no state champions in the upper classes from the Panhandle.  It seems like that decline coincided with a lot of those good coaches having moved on. 

I remember when the Celtics used to play 5A Rickards back around 2007/2008. We clobbered them both years. I remember sitting in the stands looking down at this Rickards team and saying to myself, they have great athletes but absolutely no direction or discipline. It was almost comical watching them fumble around as if they were a youth league team. Had a losing record for so many years. Then in 2012 Clintin Lewis came upon the scene. That year they had a winning record and they have not looked back since.  One coach completely turned around a losing team and made them winners. I have followed Rickards ever since as I am now so glad that those athletes are being trained properly and are producing very good teams. When a team consistently loses the players give up or transfer and a bad situation leads to another.