State Wrestling Tournament

OldSchoolLion

The following Broward County teams used to have squads that placed in the top 10 in state.  This past weekend:

McArthur, Deerfield Beach, Chaminade, Miramar, Plantation-all scored 0 points

Western-3 points

Truly sad...one has to wonder why.  Cardinal Gibbons and St Thomas Aquinas did well.  

Suwannee used to be a perennial contender and they placed 25th in their class.  Guess it shows how difficult it is to maintain a dynasty.

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The following Broward County teams used to have squads that placed in the top 10 in state.  This past weekend:

McArthur, Deerfield Beach, Chaminade, Miramar, Plantation-all scored 0 points

Western-3 points

Truly sad...one has to wonder why.  Cardinal Gibbons and St Thomas Aquinas did well.  

Suwannee used to be a perennial contender and they placed 25th in their class.  Guess it shows how difficult it is to maintain a dynasty.

Suwannee has fallen in basically everything these days

I also saw Brandon who was the sports greatest dynasty lost as well

Unlike other sports, there are only 3 classes in wrestling, and 1A has a lot of public schools from throughout the state.  Here are the team results for 1A.  It is absolutely dominated by private schools.  The public schools do much better in 2A and 3A.  Nonetheless, my perception is that some of the traditional public school powers of the past have declined as the private school programs have risen.  For instance, Cardinal Gibbons was not a contender in the past in Broward County.  Now, along with STA, they dominate the public schools...way worse than in football.  Imagine if those two schools beat every public school they played in football down there by 35 or more points.  That is how lopsided it is in wrestling, at least in Broward County.

1A Team Scores
1 Lake Highland Prep  333.0
2 Clay  109.0
3 Tampa Prep  106.5
4 Somerset Academy (Pembroke Pines)  99.0
5 Cardinal Gibbons  92.5
6 American Heritage School (Delray Beach)  80.0
7 Carrollwood Day School  61.0
8 Bishop Kenny  57.5
9 Lemon Bay  53.0
10 Jupiter Christian  48.0
11 Zephyrhills Christian Academy 

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Unlike other sports, there are only 3 classes in wrestling, and 1A has a lot of public schools from throughout the state.  Here are the team results for 1A.  It is absolutely dominated by private schools.  The public schools do much better in 2A and 3A.  Nonetheless, my perception is that some of the traditional public school powers of the past have declined as the private school programs have risen.  For instance, Cardinal Gibbons was not a contender in the past in Broward County.  Now, along with STA, they dominate the public schools...way worse than in football.  Imagine if those two schools beat every public school they played in football down there by 35 or more points.  That is how lopsided it is in wrestling, at least in Broward County.

1A Team Scores
1 Lake Highland Prep  333.0
2 Clay  109.0
3 Tampa Prep  106.5
4 Somerset Academy (Pembroke Pines)  99.0
5 Cardinal Gibbons  92.5
6 American Heritage School (Delray Beach)  80.0
7 Carrollwood Day School  61.0
8 Bishop Kenny  57.5
9 Lemon Bay  53.0
10 Jupiter Christian  48.0
11 Zephyrhills Christian Academy 

I believe Somerset Academy in Pembroke Pines is a public school. 

37 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

That's odd.  Don't know if I ever heard of a public "academy."  Less and less is getting surprising anymore:lol: 

I here ya....I believe Mater Academy is also considered a public school as well.  They are basically public charter schools, I guess....   Academy is a broad word in SFL....Whatever sells I guess.

Cypress Bay faired decent in 3A , only a 1/2 point behind STA at States.  Coral Springs performed respectable I guess.  Overall, you are right the once dominant teams are all pretty much non-existent now.

It may not be only the shift in Broward though.. Didn't Manatee and Plant used to be consistent state powers in 3A?  They finished 15th and 17th!

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I here ya....I believe Mater Academy is also considered a public school as well.  They are basically public charter schools, I guess....   Academy is a broad word in SFL....Whatever sells I guess.

Cypress Bay faired decent in 3A , only a 1/2 point behind STA at States.  Coral Springs performed respectable I guess.  Overall, you are right the once dominant teams are all pretty much non-existent now.

It may not be only the shift in Broward though.. Didn't Manatee and Plant used to be consistent state powers in 3A?  They finished 15th and 17th!

...don't recall.  SW Fl schools have always been good..then and now.  I wonder if less kids there play football (not many power programs there) , allowing them to focus on wrestling?  And if the focus on football in Broward County has taken away from the wrestling programs.

Take a look at the top 10 teams in each class in wrestling.  Only about 25% of them are teams we think of as having strong football programs.  Some of those teams are actually schools we think of as having terrible football programs.

With the increase in specialization today, I bet there are a lot of very good wrestlers out there who are not wrestling because they are choosing to play football instead.  Back in the day, as you know, it was quite common for kids to do both.

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...don't recall.  SW Fl schools have always been good..then and now.  I wonder if less kids there play football (not many power programs there) , allowing them to focus on wrestling?  And if the focus on football in Broward County has taken away from the wrestling programs.

Take a look at the top 10 teams in each class in wrestling.  Only about 25% of them are teams we think of as having strong football programs.  Some of those teams are actually schools we think of as having terrible football programs.

With the increase in specialization today, I bet there are a lot of very good wrestlers out there who are not wrestling because they are choosing to play football instead.  Back in the day, as you know, it was quite common for kids to do both.

Of course many know the state champion/all american wrestler out of Kathleen who also had a pretty good ;) NFL career.   

I believe the LHP coach is a really good coach that runs a Wrestling school or wrestling classes.  So he has coached those kids from the time they were little and then they end up going to LHP.  I am not 100 percent sure on it so maybe someone with more familiarity could comment on LHP wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 1:08 PM, badbird said:

I believe the LHP coach is a really good coach that runs a Wrestling school or wrestling classes.  So he has coached those kids from the time they were little and then they end up going to LHP.  I am not 100 percent sure on it so maybe someone with more familiarity could comment on LHP wrestling.

Im a little late in my response here but yes he is a great coach. They do have some kids transfer in but most enroll there as 8th or 9th graders. The wrestling community is kinda small and most of the elite kids know each other very well. A lot of them are on the same teams when it comes to off season club teams and freestyle and greco teams. LHP holds a ton of open practices in the off season and it is fun to watch how competitive the room is. Top HS, elementary and middle schools kids will come from all over the country to some of these open practices. The LHP wrestlers work as hard as anyone ive seen. They deserve all the accolades they receive.