2018 FL vs. OOS Schedule/Results

SportsNut25

On 5/30/2018 at 10:50 AM, nolebull813 said:

Yeah Georgia avoids top teams like the plague. They beat all our worst teams and then brag about the W/L record. 

A few years ago Miami Central and Booker T both contacted Lowndes about coming up. I know because I gave both of them the phone number and email. 

Lowndes ended up picking 0-10 Bayside 

Nolebull...sorry for the late response but was just reviewing this post and came across.  Concerning Lowndes, and am sure ColumbiaFan will concur, Lowndes has not been the same team they were last decade.  They have not been a national caliber team. 

The Valdosta area has grown a fair bit and with Colquitt County making big strides, talent in the area has likely gotten diluted.

Lowndes can make a national-caliber schedule within their state if they choose.  In recent years, they have struggled to beat some of the better teams in Georgia.  IMO, they have no business taking on top-flight FL competition if they cannot beat their own neighbors.  That is not being cowardly..it is being realistic.  I would say the exact same for a FL team.

Concerning Georgia "avoiding top teams like the plague"....relatively speaking, Georgia teams have historically played few games against teams from non-neighboring states.  Let's not forget, the level of OOS games we see today is a relatively new phenomenon.  Some states are just coming around and doing more of it. 

Florida is certainly amongst the leaders in OOS games.  It is great in one sense, but costly in another.  We have FL teams flying to the West Coast when they have nationally ranked teams one hour or less away who they have never played.  Screw giving the Florida fans a treat with a classic FLvsFL matchup.  We could have incredible matchups in Florida without ever playing an OOS game.    

The Louisville Wildcats from Mississippi are coming to Florida to play Navarre this week.  Talk about a rural school!  They have about 500 students, whereas Navarre has about 2200.  Looks like they are a "B" team with consistent winning seasons and an occasional deep run in the playoffs.

MS has a ton of individual talent, but most of their high schools are very small compared to Florida, and many are in rural areas where the talent pool is limited. 

Mississippi only has 9 high schools(see below) that would be 6A or above in Florida.  Alabama only has 6(2 would be in 7A and 4 would be in 6A).

7A-1

6A-8

5A-20

On 8/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

Nolebull...sorry for the late response but was just reviewing this post and came across.  Concerning Lowndes, and am sure ColumbiaFan will concur, Lowndes has not been the same team they were last decade.  They have not been a national caliber team. 

The Valdosta area has grown a fair bit and with Colquitt County making big strides, talent in the area has likely gotten diluted.

Lowndes can make a national-caliber schedule within their state if they choose.  In recent years, they have struggled to beat some of the better teams in Georgia.  IMO, they have no business taking on top-flight FL competition if they cannot beat their own neighbors.  That is not being cowardly..it is being realistic.  I would say the exact same for a FL team.

Concerning Georgia "avoiding top teams like the plague"....relatively speaking, Georgia teams have historically played few games against teams from non-neighboring states.  Let's not forget, the level of OOS games we see today is a relatively new phenomenon.  Some states are just coming around and doing more of it. 

Florida is certainly amongst the leaders in OOS games.  It is great in one sense, but costly in another.  We have FL teams flying to the West Coast when they have nationally ranked teams one hour or less away who they have never played.  Screw giving the Florida fans a treat with a classic FLvsFL matchup.  We could have incredible matchups in Florida without ever playing an OOS game.    

Then why even play FL teams in First place 

What does playing average to mediocre FL schools prove? 

I'm sure they can find some cupcake in GA, I'm under the belief unless you gonna play someone good then playing oos is a waste of time 

Lowndes has only played one oos game in their history that is worth mentioning (Plant)

None of the remaining oos games are ones that should have been played

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm sure they can find some cupcake in GA, I'm under the belief unless you gonna play someone good then playing oos is a waste of time 

Lowndes has only played one oos game in their history that is worth mentioning (Plant)

Clearly some folks who play these OOS games, including folks from Florida, are not always out to prove a major point...at least not an evident one.  What are some of the games listed below going to "prove?"  Maybe some folks just want to get the kids out to see something different, especially if they live in the backwoods.  

Brunswick(GA) at Bartram Trail

Louisville(MS) at Navarre

Westlake(GA) at Deerfield Beach

D'Iberville(MS) at West Florida

Gulf Breeze at Pascagoula(MS)  neither program is noteworthy

You are a competitive person, ColumbiaFan.  At times, you may assume others think like you, ie an OOS team is playing a Florida team so they must be out to prove they are better than us.  When a poor kid from Louisville, MS, is 60 years old, and that trip to the FL beach is many years behind him, he may cherish it because it was his only trip in his lifetime outside the county he lives.  If that is all the trip accomplishes, it is worth it in my book, regardless of who won the game.  

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

some random thoughts concerning what OOS games prove...or don't prove.

-I have heard many comments concerning FL teams that lost "away" games due to "home cooking."  How does one objectively define the "true" losses?  It seems almost a given.  If the FL team wins, we take credit, but if we lose, we attribute it to bad reffing.  I don't often hear anyone admit, "yep, we got beat fair and square that game."   

-Some of these OOS games involve teams that are not "typical" teams for their respective states.  Hoover is not a "typical" Alabama team.  It is much larger.  IMG and the Broward County private schools are not "typical" Florida teams.  Just like the Los Angeles private schools are not "typical" California teams.   In a manner of speaking, they are freaks of nature. So, when they win, what exactly is it proving? 

On the other hand, Carol City is a good representative of a "typical" inner city, Miami school.  Dr Phillips is a good example of a "typical" 8A FL team.  When these teams win an OOS game, we can say ""Yeah, we've got more just like that back in Florida." 

-If a private school powerhouse defeats an OOS public school, what is it proving?  ...along the lines of the classic private school recruiting/advantage debate.

Unless games are played on neutral ground between "like" schools with comparable student populations, there will always be reason for the critics to pick apart the games and cry foul....meaning we prove nothing definitively in the "X" state versus "Y" state debate.