2018 Unofficial Schedules

BrowardHandicapper

59 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Happened to stumble across what appears to be the unofficial 2018 Champagnat Catholic schedule:

https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/36450/Boys-Varsity-Football/schedule

Looks  like its missing 2 games but I'm curious of a few games there

Niceville game should be interesting 

6 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Just for you Columbia because you are always thinking this team is starting to turn a corner ;)

https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/13535/Boys-Varsity-Football/schedule

They looked like it when we played them,  they put up a better fight then Lincoln did that year lol

Well I'll be right eventually :D

12 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Not sure why Dr Phillips vs Lee County GA, a rural school near Albany, GA.  Lee County won a 6A GA state title last year, but they are the equivalent of a 5A school in FL.  They have had some good teams over the years, but there are at least 10 schools in Atlanta who could beat them, if not destroy them, ie a few years ago a 9-2 Lee County team got beat 56-13 vs Archer, one of the better Atlanta schools.

We joke about OOS state teams coming to FL to say they beat a FL team.  Would be nice to say "we beat a GA state champion," but 6A in GA is light years from 7A.  Dr Phillips vs Lee County would not be a fair fight in my eyes.  Would be just as competitive to stay at home and play a good Orlando Jones team.   

15 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Not sure why Dr Phillips vs Lee County GA, a rural school near Albany, GA.  Lee County won a 6A GA state title last year, but they are the equivalent of a 5A school in FL.  They have had some good teams over the years, but there are at least 10 schools in Atlanta who could beat them, if not destroy them, ie a few years ago a 9-2 Lee County team got beat 56-13 vs Archer, one of the better Atlanta schools.

We joke about OOS state teams coming to FL to say they beat a FL team.  Would be nice to say "we beat a GA state champion," but 6A in GA is light years from 7A.  Dr Phillips vs Lee County would not be a fair fight in my eyes.  Would be just as competitive to stay at home and play a good Orlando Jones team.   

Dr Phillips loses a lot as well so this isn't close to being as big a gap as most FL vs GA games this year 

This just balances out the lowndes vs Lincoln game

Fact is if any state played our top teams they would get embarrassed more times than not,  very few teams can match FL elites in talent, the teams that can are usually far better coaching wise 

Look at a lot of these matchups oos

Bet over half of them are involving FL teams outside of our top 100 

2 hours ago, DB4 said:

I saw on South Broward's schedule that they only have two games up so far: the one against Everglades and then the kickoff classic, against Marina, a team from Huntington Beach, California. Interesting.

According to Maxpreps, Marina has not had a winning year in the last 14 years.  Marina appears to be a 3 win type team that traditionally is smacked around in their District :

http://www.maxpreps.com/league/5EPM76rxokCK1kvXHXZCAQ/standings-sunset.htm

On 3/19/2018 at 8:57 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

Here is the connection

LEESBURG — Lee County's string of marquee early season football games will continue into the 2018 season.

A program that had a nationally televised game in 2014 and Corky Kell Classic appearances in 2016 and 2017, Lee County will host a big-name showdown Aug. 25 when Dr. Phillips of Orlando visits Trojan Field in a game slated for an 11 a.m. kickoff.

The matchup pairs two state championship teams. Lee County won the 2017 GHSA Class 6A title, while Dr. Phillips claimed the Florida High School Athletic Association's Class 8A crown last fall.

Class 6A is the second-largest in the GHSA. Class 8A is the largest in the FHSAA.

"It's going to be a Georgia vs. Florida state championship challenge," Lee County head coach Dean Fabrizio said. "They have a great program, obviously.

"It will certainly let us know what we have early on in the season and help us prepare for region down the road."

The schools signed the game contract Wednesday, Fabrizio said. Broadcast plans have not been established, but Fabrizio said he's reaching out to national cable networks in an effort to have the game televised.

The GHSA season begins the weekend of Aug. 17. The first two weekends of the GHSA season are weekends where there are

no college games, and cable networks like ESPN and Fox Sports have in recent years shown high school games to national audiences during the final two weekends of August.

ESPNU broadcast Lee County's 2014 season opener, when the Trojans hosted Trenton Thompsonled Westover. Lee County won that game 13-0.

"We're hopeful that this will be on TV," Fabrizio said. "It's rare to get a game between two state champs."

While there is a state championship connection between the teams, there's also a personal connection. Dr. Phillips head coach Rodney Wells played for Fabrizio while Fabrizio was an assistant at Dr. Phillips in the 1990s.

Fabrizio will be entering his 10th season as Lee County's head coach. Wells, who played linebacker at Syracuse, will be entering his eighth season as Dr. Phillips' head coach.

"It will be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, game in the nation that weekend," Fabrizio said. "It's going to be a lot of fun for our kids. It's big on a national scale."

5 hours ago, badbird said:

Here is the connection

LEESBURG — Lee County's string of marquee early season football games will continue into the 2018 season.

A program that had a nationally televised game in 2014 and Corky Kell Classic appearances in 2016 and 2017, Lee County will host a big-name showdown Aug. 25 when Dr. Phillips of Orlando visits Trojan Field in a game slated for an 11 a.m. kickoff.

The matchup pairs two state championship teams. Lee County won the 2017 GHSA Class 6A title, while Dr. Phillips claimed the Florida High School Athletic Association's Class 8A crown last fall.

Class 6A is the second-largest in the GHSA. Class 8A is the largest in the FHSAA.

"It's going to be a Georgia vs. Florida state championship challenge," Lee County head coach Dean Fabrizio said. "They have a great program, obviously.

"It will certainly let us know what we have early on in the season and help us prepare for region down the road."

The schools signed the game contract Wednesday, Fabrizio said. Broadcast plans have not been established, but Fabrizio said he's reaching out to national cable networks in an effort to have the game televised.

The GHSA season begins the weekend of Aug. 17. The first two weekends of the GHSA season are weekends where there are

no college games, and cable networks like ESPN and Fox Sports have in recent years shown high school games to national audiences during the final two weekends of August.

ESPNU broadcast Lee County's 2014 season opener, when the Trojans hosted Trenton Thompsonled Westover. Lee County won that game 13-0.

"We're hopeful that this will be on TV," Fabrizio said. "It's rare to get a game between two state champs."

While there is a state championship connection between the teams, there's also a personal connection. Dr. Phillips head coach Rodney Wells played for Fabrizio while Fabrizio was an assistant at Dr. Phillips in the 1990s.

Fabrizio will be entering his 10th season as Lee County's head coach. Wells, who played linebacker at Syracuse, will be entering his eighth season as Dr. Phillips' head coach.

"It will be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, game in the nation that weekend," Fabrizio said. "It's going to be a lot of fun for our kids. It's big on a national scale."

I understand the connection now, but on a national scale...uhhh....Lee County is lucky to be a top 25 program in the state of Georgia... forget the country.  They lost to a 4-7 Valdosta team.  Rome, the Class 5A state champion, would have destroyed Lee County.  The same goes for the 5A runnerup or the 4A state champion, though those games would be closer. 

Am not saying it is a terrible matchup...simply saying that Lee County is not a good example of the best Georgia hs football has to offer.  Based on Lee County's results this past season, I think Dr Phillips would have easily beaten them.      

26 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I understand the connection now, but on a national scale...uhhh....Lee County is lucky to be a top 25 program in the state of Georgia... forget the country.  They lost to a 4-7 Valdosta team.  Rome, the Class 5A state champion, would have destroyed Lee County.  The same goes for the 5A runnerup or the 4A state champion, though those games would be closer. 

Am not saying it is a terrible matchup...simply saying that Lee County is not a good example of the best Georgia hs football has to offer.  Based on Lee County's results this past season, I think Dr Phillips would have easily beaten them.      

I get what you're saying, but last year's teams aren't playing. It's this year's teams. And they may both look different.. Actually they definitely will both look different.

7 hours ago, DB4 said:

I get what you're saying, but last year's teams aren't playing. It's this year's teams. And they may both look different.. Actually they definitely will both look different.

I understand.  For the past 12 seasons, Dr Phillips is consistently good/great.  Lee County has had 3 seasons with 3 or fewer losses in the past 12.  They seem to be a program on the rise, but have yet to string together season after season of high level play.

Dr Phillips has "arrived" as a program, and they are in a metro area where it is reasonable to expect they can reload year-to-year.  Lee County is in a rural area, where reloading is much more difficult.  I think a program has to reach a critical mass of winning seasons before they have the momentum to be a contender every year.

It can be setting the kids and fans up for a huge let-down talking about national spotlight/TV when a program has yet to establish itself as a consistent contender.  Too often I see "marquis" OOS games across the country (expected based on the prior year's results) turn out be huge disappointments.  

If this is just meant to be a "friendly" game between coaches with a connection, fine...no need to hype it.  And if it turns out to be a barnburner, then it exceeds expectations and everyone is thrilled.:)   Sorry, it's just my personal hangup that we feel a need to turn  regular season games into "national showcases."  HS football was NEVER intended to be that.