STA vs Central

Zoe Boy

Yeah...How does that work?

Central was a better team then STA last year.  Central appears to have added possibly bigger names in talent then STA this off-season while STA is coming off one of the worst teams in a while and currently does not appear close to the roster strength of pre-2017 (2016,2015,2014) yet STA is 110% deliberately scheduling Central when "they are down. "

If anything one could argue it was the other way around.  STA is the one that is less of their usual team, super power state of late.  But let's just put STA at fault because there is a opportunity to put blame on them.  Just because ....

Unreal....I tell you even when STA does not even get to states,  the witch hunt does not let up.

You know what is really interesting .  Miami Central has not played AHP since 2008 .  Since AHP has become a national power, Central has been dodging them.  

6 minutes ago, TheBeastWithin said:

this yahoo columbiafan was on the national board saying that sta was no longer the best team im broward and wouldn't be a national program for much longer then he comes here and claims that they are purposefully scheduling teams when they're down.

They weren't best in broward last year and i doubt they are this year 

Also to be fair when i made the claim that got you all butt hurt it was when i was under the impression that Central was down,  at the time that was the case

Since then They have started reloading 

So i apologize for jumping the gun, next time I'll hold off making judgements on games until we actually have rosters locked in during August 

15 minutes ago, TheBeastWithin said:

this yahoo columbiafan was on the national board saying that sta was no longer the best team im broward and wouldn't be a national program for much longer then he comes here and claims that they are purposefully scheduling teams when they're down.

They already look to be in decline compared to past elite teams that were contending for national championships so that wasn't entirely incorrect 

Then again teams like that 2015 were special

11 minutes ago, TheBeastWithin said:

sta went 10-3 in 2011 and 2013 as well. were they in decline, not the best in broward and not a national program THEN?

I would have to look back at those seasons and decide 

Back then i only cared about knowing my team 

It wasn't until i joined this board in 2015 that i began to care what other teams around the state did 

16 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes i have been hearing rumors of reloading at central and while I haven't gotten the details i want yet I'll definitely keep eye on them

I hope you right about that because it would be nice to see a south FL private powerhouse vs a south Florida public powerhouse 

Maybe then when central wins people will quit saying only privates and teams who recruit are good in FL 

Ummmmmm BTW beat STA 2 years ago?

4 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Central was a better team then STA last year.  Central appears to have added possibly bigger names in talent then STA this off-season while STA is coming off one of the worst teams in a while and currently does not appear close to the roster strength of pre-2017 (2016,2015,2014) yet STA is 110% deliberately scheduling Central when "they are down. "

If anything one could argue it was the other way around.  STA is the one that is less of their usual team, super power state of late.  But let's just put STA at fault because there is a opportunity to put blame on them.  Just because ....

Unreal....I tell you even when STA does not even get to states,  the witch hunt does not let up.

You know what is really interesting .  Miami Central has not played AHP since 2008 .  Since AHP has become a national power, Central has been dodging them.  

I think AHP lost 1 game that year Central beat them n won states

Miramar eyes four-peat vs. St. Thomas Aquinas

Patriots, Raiders to square off Saturday

September 18, 2014|By Steve Gorten, Sun Sentinel

MIRAMAR — – Three years ago, Miramar stunned St. Thomas Aquinas on its home field, snapping the Raiders' 19-game winning streak against Broward County opponents with an emotional overtime triumph.

In 2012, Miramar prevailed again in OT, this time on a debatable touchdown on fourth-and-goal. Last year, Miramar rallied from a seven-point deficit in the fourth quarter to win 22-20 at St. Thomas' Brian Piccolo Field.

Three dramatic finishes, one rare streak.

Saturday night at home, Miramar (2-1) will try to become the first public school to beat St. Thomas four consecutive times in the regular season since Dillard accomplished that feat from 1987 to 1990. (In the postseason, Lakeland defeated the Raiders in four consecutive matchups — in 1998 and from 2004-06.)

St. Thomas has won 14 of the 21 meetings all-time against Miramar, outscoring the Patriots 573-236.

"They're gonna be fired up to play," first-year Miramar coach Matt Strout predicted. "We're very excited about it, too. It's a big rivalry game, and our guys don't want to lose. These seniors know they've beaten them three years in a row and this is their last opportunity to play St. Thomas. They've very hungry and very eager."

Strout said the psychological impact of three straight wins against the county's best program is historically significant.

Still, he's sounded a note of caution with his players. "Just because they've beaten them three years in a row doesn't necessarily mean this group of seniors and juniors all contributed to that. So it's been a work in progress all week trying to get them to focus on the task at hand instead of what's happened in years past."

St. Thomas (1-1) will be especially motivated coming off a 24-7 loss to Don Bosco Prep (N.J.) last Saturday in West Point, N.Y. It was the Raiders' largest margin of defeat since 2004. Coach Rocco Casullo's crew entered the game ranked No. 1 in MaxPreps' composite national rankings.

34 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

I think AHP lost 1 game that year Central beat them n won states

I know ....I don't even know when that game was but it was just some random match up I spit out  I would have like to have seen over the last few years but has not happened .  The point is sometimes things just don't happen and no perhaps one is running from anyone perhaps both teams just enjoy paid vacations out of state versus appealing to the FL fans.  There are lots of other elements in scheduling (especially now with the new system) other then making fans happy.  

There are just some matchups that don't happen.  DFB and AHP usually play a solid non-district schedule travelling out of county and out out state.  Not sure if and when those two Broward powers have ever met.  

The only SFL power that I question is Dwyer who to my knowledge in history of the program (nearly 30 years) have never played versus  Broward or Dade in regular season

On 4/19/2018 at 5:31 PM, TheBeastWithin said:

this is extremely misleading since before 1993 only district champions made the playoffs and there were only 4 rounds instead of 5.

sta made it to the state semifinals in 1971 when it was only 3 rounds.

they also didn't appear on national television until 2008 long after they were a powerhouse.

Most folks on this board are very knowledgeable about FL high school football and are well aware that the playoff schedule structure has changed over the years.  I have been around since the beginning of the FHSAA and before St Thomas Aquinas was even known by that name. 

Regardless of whether there were 4 rounds or 40 rounds in the playoffs, Dillard won 3 times as many playoff games as STA between 1980-1990, demonstrating that public schools could be just as good, if not better, than their private school counterparts. 

Prior to computers going mainstream and hs football coverage on TV, none of the south Florida private schools were well-known on the national scene.  These forums allowed for STA to build its reputation at a time when they were emerging as a consistent power.  All of a sudden you started seeing kids from outside the area wanting to go to school there.   The same cannot be said for Broward public schools in economically-challenged areas.

The kid who would have gone to Dillard or Ely back in the 1980's now sees Nike reps driving onto STA's campus with 6-figure sports cars and handing out gold-plated shoes to the kids.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article48947545.html

Let's be real.  Stunts like this have given the rock star football powerhouses like STA a huge advantage in terms of attracting talent.  It is not necessary.  STA has an outstanding program and would be one of the premier programs in the state without all of the commercialization.     

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Most folks on this board are very knowledgeable about FL high school football and are well aware that the playoff schedule structure has changed over the years.  I have been around since the beginning of the FHSAA and before St Thomas Aquinas was even known by that name. 

Regardless of whether there were 4 rounds or 40 rounds in the playoffs, Dillard won 3 times as many playoff games as STA between 1980-1990, demonstrating that public schools could be just as good, if not better, than their private school counterparts. 

Prior to computers going mainstream and hs football coverage on TV, none of the south Florida private schools were well-known on the national scene.  These forums allowed for STA to build its reputation at a time when they were emerging as a consistent power.  All of a sudden you started seeing kids from outside the area wanting to go to school there.   The same cannot be said for Broward public schools in economically-challenged areas.

The kid who would have gone to Dillard or Ely back in the 1980's now sees Nike reps driving onto STA's campus with 6-figure sports cars and handing out gold-plated shoes to the kids.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article48947545.html

Let's be real.  Stunts like this have given the rock star football powerhouses like STA a huge advantage in terms of attracting talent.  It is not necessary.  STA has an outstanding program and would be one of the premier programs in the state without all of the commercialization.     

Exactly but to add to what u said as I stated before also the breed of kids are different today they don’t wanna work for it they don’t want to beat the odds and overcome the odds of a underdog so they go to where it’s the easiest going to STA your either gonna come out with minimum a full ride academic school or sport scholarships or both and u don’t even have to play one snap on the team kids know that parents know that so there u have it

15 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Actually Miami Central went to AHP and won in 2013. Maybe you have your years mixed up?

5 hours ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Exactly but to add to what u said as I stated before also the breed of kids are different today they don’t wanna work for it they don’t want to beat the odds and overcome the odds of a underdog so they go to where it’s the easiest going to STA your either gonna come out with minimum a full ride academic school or sport scholarships or both and u don’t even have to play one snap on the team kids know that parents know that so there u have it

Or maybe they don’t want to deal with the BS that goes on at public schools also.. Like the education, or potential violence that goes on and other stuff... Kids been going to STA... It is what it is... With all them kids going over there they still can be beat... 

3 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

Actually Miami Central went to AHP and won in 2013. Maybe you have your years mixed up?

You are correct, it seemed like it may have been longer then that but my point is there is no perfect world.  There are lots of teams down here that bounce in and out of the top 100 and sometimes the top 25.  We could make loads of "why not" and "what if " match ups but at the end of the day programs do things that suit their needs and objectives.  

41 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

You are correct, it seemed like it may have been longer then that but my point is there is no perfect world.  There are lots of teams down here that bounce in and out of the top 100 and sometimes the top 25.  We could make loads of "why not" and "what if " match ups but at the end of the day programs do things that suit their needs and objectives.  

I couldn't agree more.

23 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Or maybe they don’t want to deal with the BS that goes on at public schools also.. Like the education, or potential violence that goes on and other stuff... Kids been going to STA... It is what it is... With all them kids going over there they still can be beat... 

Very good point..many reasons nowadays for kids/parents to favor private schools, who often offer great academics, too.     

My issue with some of the private schools nowadays is their failure to take the high road in all of the transfer craziness and commercialization.  Nobody is sticking a gun to their heads to let a kid a certain kid in the school and/or let the 4-star senior transfer jump the depth chart to supplant the kid who has paid his dues for three years.  Nobody is sticking a gun to their heads to accept sweet deals for gold-plated shoes.  etc etc These are administrative choices...and, in the case of Catholic schools, not in alignment with the teachings of the men for whom their schools are named.  They should be the models of ethics and morality.  What I see is certain behavior no different than the public schools.  

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Very good point..many reasons nowadays for kids/parents to favor private schools, who often offer great academics, too.     

My issue with some of the private schools nowadays is their failure to take the high road in all of the transfer craziness and commercialization.  Nobody is sticking a gun to their heads to let a kid a certain kid in the school and/or let the 4-star senior transfer jump the depth chart to supplant the kid who has paid his dues for three years.  Nobody is sticking a gun to their heads to accept sweet deals for gold-plated shoes.  etc etc These are administrative choices...and, in the case of Catholic schools, not in alignment with the teachings of the men for whom their schools are named.  They should be the models of ethics and morality.  What I see is certain behavior no different than the public schools.  

Yea the kids that’s not talented... That would happen at every school. STA has a lot of kids that been there 4 years that don’t get jump in the roster.. Like I said it happens at EVERY school...

6 minutes ago, TheBeastWithin said:

this is a convenient and lazy argument that relieves dillard of any responsibility for their own demise.

kids started leaving dillaed because they no longer had any stability (after otis gray and ken scott's first tenure).

This can be said about a lot of public schools in FL 

Especially in metro areas with limited support

For example the Jacksonville area has no stability among it's public schools outside of raines which is part of why those schools never truly contend for championships 

You end up with a school pulling in talent for a few years (Ed White, First Coast, Lee)

But they always fall apart 

Plus a majority of schools only have a coach for a year or 2 (Terry Parker, Westside, Wolfson, ect) 

So much talent in that area but raines only public to win a state championship

But the privates (Bolles, Trinity Christian, university Christian) are regularly competing or winning championships

I would have to check but i believe they all have had same coach for last 10 years (minus Bolles whos coach retired before last season after spending almost 3 decades at the school) 

8 minutes ago, TheBeastWithin said:

in what world should a school be forced to live up to the arbitrary "morals" of some random guy on a message board?

there's nothing moral or immoral about the choice of which high school to attend.

What do the teachings of thomad aquinas have to do with football uniforms?

Interesting

So are you saying they don't even have to be Catholic to attend a Catholic school? 

26 minutes ago, TheBeastWithin said:

in what world should a school be forced to live up to the arbitrary "morals" of some random guy on a message board?

there's nothing moral or immoral about the choice of which high school to attend.

What do the teachings of thomad aquinas have to do with football uniforms?

Catholic schools have a much bigger purpose than teaching kids how to play football.  Concerning your inquiry, Monsignor Kelly at St Thomas could answer your question far better than I ever could, so would encourage you to reach out to him.   

The Archdiocese of Miami has its own set of "morals"  by which Catholic schools such as STA, Chaminade, and Cardinal Gibbons are supposed to operate.  I am one of many over the years who have, at times, have questioned when certain athletic programs have lost perspective.  https://www.miamiarch.org/CatholicDiocese.php?op=Article_1326162537997