Buying Athletes????

Miamidade92

I know this topic will be taboo, but it's starting to come out. High schools buying athletes. Tyrique Stevenson, a 4-5 star athlete has been with South dade  since his freshman year. he just transferred to Southridge for his senior year. Southridge was just taken over by Sedrick Irvin, who took Miami High from 2-7 to the state semifinal game in ONE season. Now he goes to Southridge and is trying to recruit players to that school as well. I've heard form people that he lured Stevenson away form South Dade from anywhere between $5,000-$8500. Last week in South Florida radio it came out on the Joe Rose show. 

http://miami.cbslocal.com/audio/joe-rose-show/ Listen to 4/19 hour 2, minute 36. 

I'm sure this happens all over the state, my question is, CAN something be done about this? Or with the FHSAA rule change, is this legal?

1 hour ago, Miamidade92 said:

I know this topic will be taboo, but it's starting to come out. High schools buying athletes. Tyrique Stevenson, a 4-5 star athlete has been with South dade  since his freshman year. he just transferred to Southridge for his senior year. Southridge was just taken over by Sedrick Irvin, who took Miami High from 2-7 to the state semifinal game in ONE season. Now he goes to Southridge and is trying to recruit players to that school as well. I've heard form people that he lured Stevenson away form South Dade from anywhere between $5,000-$8500. Last week in South Florida radio it came out on the Joe Rose show. 

http://miami.cbslocal.com/audio/joe-rose-show/ Listen to 4/19 hour 2, minute 36. 

I'm sure this happens all over the state, my question is, CAN something be done about this? Or with the FHSAA rule change, is this legal?

Doubt if that rumor is true I mean paying a player that type of money at the high school level just to come play there for a year. But if this story starting to gain momentum then I'm sure the state is very aware of that situation but I find that hard to believe a kid was payed to come play for a former coach, I believe there is a possibility he was recruited to go there but being payed that is crazy 

There’s merit to the rumor. I know a coach at a Dade County school that said Miami High approached one of his players (idk if physically approached or over the phone) and said they’d pay him $5k to transfer to Miami. I’m not saying it’s fact but the fact that they mentioned Sedrick and that’s who I heard about last season, seems like there’s smoke there

27 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Would be crazy if true.  Where would that money coming from?  Coaches aren't exactly gettting bank these days.

This recently published article offers one possibility of a source of such funding.  Although this is about hs basketball, one can see it coming with the emergence of 7-on-7,  IMG Academy, etc   

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/page/2000_criminal_case_foreshadows.html

If I am a hs coach and friend of one of these player "brokers," I could say "Hey, could you slip ____ a few dollars to get him to transfer to my school."  $5k is chump change when one considers how much money is on the line here with the big sports apparel companies involved. 

I just want to go on the record and say that if you have inside information about high school coaches paying players to transfer to another high school, it is obvious that your sole responsibility should be to report it to the FHSAA.

These are kids.

The FHSAA will be informed, at a minimum, of what is allegedly going on at Southridge.

44 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

I just want to go on the record and say that if you have inside information about high school coaches paying players to transfer to another high school, it is obvious that your sole responsibility should be to report it to the FHSAA.

These are kids.

The FHSAA will be informed, at a minimum, of what is allegedly going on at Southridge.

Those guys at the FHSAA has a stacked of papers on their desk I'm sure going back 2 or 3 years...first they will need the kid that allegedly received money that transferred to admit he did which I will doubt he does that because his eligibility will be in jeopardy then you will need some type of paper trail to connect his new school to him and if it's cash I don't know how they will be able to even connect that without the issue not being criminal right? But if it's true that's horrible but I just don't know what the state could do about it because it will be very difficult to connect