Dwyer @ Gibbons

Mashburns

7 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

I think Dwyer is on the road going against Gibbons tonight this should be a good, the Dwyer team this year is loaded with skill it will be very interesting to see how well they put it together but you hand Jack Daniels talent he usually does a great job at getting the most out of his teams. 

Dwyer heading into Broward?

It must be May.

21 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Not in the history of Dwyer football :P .

Just saw this on a Larry Blustein retweet (of all teams):

https://twitter.com/RyanEpstein1026/status/999615287854096386

Dwyer is 13-7 vs Broward teams in the playoffs.  3 of those losses came against STA.

Over the years they have beaten, Ely, Dillard, Boyd Anderson and St Thomas.

Not sayin' they are better than all Broward teams, but they have done reasonably well.

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Dwyer is 13-7 vs Broward teams in the playoffs.  3 of those losses came against STA.

Over the years they have beaten, Ely, Dillard, Boyd Anderson and St Thomas.

Not sayin' they are better than all Broward teams, but they have done reasonably well.

Solid, but let's be honest when they caught Ely, Boyd Anderson and Dillard in some of those years they were probably 2-6 win type seasons for many of those games. They have probably made punching bags in the playoffs versus Stranahan, Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood Hills as well...  They also have no choice but to play those games since it is the post season.  

What is Dwyer's record against any Broward or Dade teams in the regular season?

Broward and Dade top teams play one another to make things interesting.  Palm Beach top teams like to mix it up with with Broward and Dade as well.  Is there a reason Dwyer does not want to join party?

It's only been over 25 years of existence, right?

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Solid, but let's be honest when they caught Ely, Boyd Anderson and Dillard in some of those years they were probably 2-6 win type seasons for many of those games. They have probably made punching bags in the playoffs versus Stranahan, Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood Hills as well...  They also have no choice but to play those games since it is the post season.  

What is Dwyer's record against any Broward or Dade teams in the regular season?

Broward and Dade top teams play one another to make things interesting.  Palm Beach top teams like to mix it up with with Broward and Dade as well.  Is there a reason Dwyer does not want to join party?

It's only been over 25 years of existence, right?

If Dwyer was traveling across the country every year like certain teams, I would ask the question, "Why not play one of the Dade/Broward elites?  But that is not the case. 

...concerning Broward County....

Cannot blame Dwyer(or anyone else from Palm Beach) for not wanting to play Broward's private schools during the regular season.  Last year, for non-district games, Dwyer played Park Vista (who beat Miramar) and Atlantic (who beat Plantation, Western, and Park Vista.)  I would challenge that Park Vista and Atlantic were as good as any of Broward's public school teams last year. 

It's not as if Broward has had much to offer in terms of great public school programs of late, so cannot blame Dwyer for staying at home to face competition that is at least as good.   Also, Dwyer already knows they are likely to face Broward teams in the playoffs, so maybe the appeal of playing additional regular season games against Broward teams is not as great.

...concerning Dade County...

They have played Northwestern twice (once in Miami) and Central once to open each of the past three seasons.  If that is their "model" (versus playing them during the regular season) I am OK with that.  At least they are consistent in how they schedule.  I cannot blame teams for not wanting to come to Dade County to play games.  There are personal safety issues, and maybe a coach thinks it is not worth the risk for his players.

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If Dwyer was traveling across the country every year like certain teams, I would ask the question, "Why not play one of the Dade/Broward elites?  But that is not the case. 

Cannot blame Dwyer(or anyone else from Palm Beach) for not wanting to play Broward's private schools during the regular season.  Last year, for non-district games, Dwyer played Park Vista (who beat Miramar) and Atlantic (who beat Plantation, Western, and Park Vista.)  I would challenge that Park Vista and Atlantic were as good as any of Broward's public school teams last year. 

It's not as if Broward has had much to offer in terms of great public school programs of late, so cannot blame Dwyer for staying at home to face competition that is at least as good.   Also, Dwyer already knows they are likely to face Broward teams in the playoffs, so maybe the appeal of playing additional regular season games against Broward teams is not as great.

They have played Northwestern twice (once in Miami) and Central once to open each of the past three seasons.  If that is their "model" (versus playing them during the regular season) I am OK with that.  At least they are consistent in how they schedule.  I cannot blame teams for not wanting to come to Dade County to play games.  There are personal safety issues, and maybe a coach thinks it is not worth the risk for his players.

Lol Dwyer almost lost to two win team Ely in 2015 in the first round of the playoffs 

20 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Well Oxbridge schedules those games versus top Broward and Dade teams...- with a roster of 35.  

Broward Publics have not been up to par last two years - agree.   But I'm talking over the course of 25 years.  Would you have ever thought  5 years ago that the first top Palm Beach team to play IMG, Carol City or the defending 8A Champions would be Oxbridge Academy?

When was the last time over 25 years years Dwyer sniffed something like that?

Not even after they have had nationally elite teams.

Just now, BrowardHandicapper said:

Well Oxbridge schedules those games versus top Broward and Dade teams...- with a roster of 35.  

Broward Publics have not been up to par last two years - agree.   But I'm talking over the course of 25 years.  Would you have ever thought  5 years ago that the first top Palm Beach team to play IMG, Carol City or the defending 8A Champions would be Oxbridge Academy?

When was the last time over 25 years years Dwyer sniffed something like that?

I know of only one other active public school coach with 20+ years at the same public school whose record eclipses that of Jack Daniels...and that is Bill Castle.  So, maybe he knows something we don't.  

I don't think either of them feel a need to be running all over kingdom come seeking out opponents when they have reasonably good competition in their backyards.  Today's "travel ball" is fun for the players and fans, but it is really an extravagance in an age of rampant educational budget shortfalls.  ...and nothing but a big ego trip for most.

I was at a post-game, racially-fueled riot about 50 years ago and was within inches of getting killed at the Liberty City riots in 1980.  Those experiences made me conservative as hell, especially when it came to hauling around a bunch of kids under my watch.  Travel today comes with substantial risks, and child safety trumps rankings.

It used to be considered a "treat" to play an out-of-area team.  That's fine.  But now it is becoming the expectation.  I think that is pressure hs coaches and players don't need.  Plenty of time for that in college.   A great coach who has been there, done that has nothing to prove...not even beating IMG.

9 minutes ago, FloTech said:

Who played Dr krop and Santaluces

....last line of 2016 article below concerning Vero's non-district 42-0 win over Santaluces...."Vero Beach has defeated Santaluces each of the last six seasons by a combined margin of 236-88."  Santaluces finished 0-10 in 2016. 

http://archive.tcpalm.com/sports/high-school/football/vero-beach-routs-santaluces-3ad45963-88e5-15bd-e053-0100007f1f33-391469941.html

So Vero dropped Santaluces this past season and upped it game, scheduling Miami-Dade juggernaut Dr Krop, who is 16-34 over the past 5 seasons.  :D

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

....last line of 2016 article below concerning Vero's non-district 42-0 win over Santaluces...."Vero Beach has defeated Santaluces each of the last six seasons by a combined margin of 236-88."  Santaluces finished 0-10 in 2016. 

http://archive.tcpalm.com/sports/high-school/football/vero-beach-routs-santaluces-3ad45963-88e5-15bd-e053-0100007f1f33-391469941.html

So Vero dropped Santaluces this past season and upped it game, scheduling Miami-Dade juggernaut Dr Krop, who is 16-34 over the past 5 seasons.  :D

That's Vero lol

I am no Dwyer homie, but believe some respect is due.  Check out their playoff record over the past 15 years.  How many teams out there have faced a murderer's row like this in the playoffs?  They have played at places like STA(twice), BTW, Palm Bay, Plant, Manatee and East Lake.  7/12 playoff losses were by a touchdown or less, and none of those losses was to a slouch.  7/12 playoff losses were to the eventual state champion or runner-up.

2003 lost to a 10-1 McArthur team  18-5

2004 lost to state runner-up ST Aquinas 10-7 in Fort Lauderdale

2005 lost to undefeated Booker T Washington  23-16 in Miami

2006 lost to a 10-1 BTW team 38-21

2007 lost  to undefeated state champion BTW 7-6 in Miami

2008 beat BTW 24-21 and lost to state champion Plant 33-21 in Tampa

2009 beat Armwood 41-15 and Niceville 42-14 to win state title

2010 beat Palm Bay 24-7 in Melbourne and lost 22-20 to state runner-up (vacated) Armwood in Tampa

2011 beat STA 6-3 and lost to state champion Manatee 19-14 in Bradenton

2012 lost to a 9-2 Boyd Anderson team  6-3

2013 beat STA 35-28, beat a 13-1 East Lake team 31-24(OT) and Niceville 55-39 to win state title

2015 lost to state champion STA 24-7 (who beat Viera by 35 pts in the state final)

2016 lost to state champion STA 37-0 in Fort Lauderdale (who beat Plant by 39 in the state final)

2017 lost to a 11-2 Doral Academy team 6-5 

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I am no Dwyer homie, but believe some respect is due.  Check out their playoff record over the past 15 years.  How many teams out there have faced a murderer's row like this in the playoffs?  They have played at places like STA(twice), BTW, Palm Bay, Plant, Manatee and East Lake.  7/12 playoff losses were by a touchdown or less, and none of those losses was to a slouch.  7/12 playoff losses were to the eventual state champion or runner-up.

2003 lost to a 10-1 McArthur team  18-5

2004 lost to state runner-up ST Aquinas 10-7 in Fort Lauderdale

2005 lost to undefeated Booker T Washington  23-16 in Miami

2006 lost to a 10-1 BTW team 38-21

2007 lost  to undefeated state champion BTW 7-6 in Miami

2008 beat BTW 24-21 and lost to state champion Plant 33-21 in Tampa

2009 beat Armwood 41-15 and Niceville 42-14 to win state title

2010 beat Palm Bay 24-7 in Melbourne and lost 22-20 to state runner-up (vacated) Armwood in Tampa

2011 beat STA 6-3 and lost to state champion Manatee 19-14 in Bradenton

2012 lost to a 9-2 Boyd Anderson team  6-3

2013 beat STA 35-28, beat a 13-1 East Lake team 31-24(OT) and Niceville 55-39 to win state title

2015 lost to state champion STA 24-7 (who beat Viera by 35 pts in the state final)

2016 lost to state champion STA 37-0 in Fort Lauderdale (who beat Plant by 39 in the state final)

2017 lost to a 11-2 Doral Academy team 6-5 

In 2015 Vero got a win off them so we can say we beat a playoff team that year too

And in 2016 they got beat up by STA in football and fighting lol

42 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Since when do spring games "count?" :blink: Have you been getting private lessons from Columbia?

Well good thing about playing someone in the spring in the same region as you 

You can face off again in the playoffs and I'll take pleasure in watching Bartram Trail get bounced at our hands in the playoffs and you can take that to the bank