Most desperate programs in the state

DisabledAccount

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

@OldSchoolLion

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/varsity-sports/b73c87e16e

When the offense wastes drives like they did in this game you really can't blame just the defense 

Like i saw what had to have been 10 or more times they called a swing pass to the running back

Or better yet why do you leave the best running back on the sideline as you are (keeping him healthy for round 2)

Then you decide last drive to throw him in,  he could have been used a heck a lot sooner

If you are convinced of what your offense can't do, it's time to focus on what your defense can do to improve.  Focus on what is within your power to control.  Time to move on.

29 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If you are convinced of what your offense can't do, it's time to focus on what your defense can do to improve.  Focus on what is within your power to control.  Time to move on.

They did look a lot better than past years with what i saw against bartram trail 

They did give up a few big plays but they also managed to hold them to just 2 field goals 

One of the famous coaches one said that "offenses win games, defenses win championships". Never was something so true. The years when Trinity was getting into and winning championship games our defense was an iron curtain. Even when we had John Brantley at QB our defense allowed him to win games. When the offense is not scoring or getting mired in inconsistent behavior, the defense is there to step up and control the situation. IMO defenses have a lot easier job than offenses. Their job is to outplay the offense using strength and knowledge of formations coming at them. The defense just has to work harder in practice to perfect precise tackling and defending against WR's. In HS football the teams that can defend well against WR's will win most of the time as most teams don't have a clue and/or  the athleticism to properly defend against the pass.

21 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

One of the famous coaches one said that "offenses win games, defenses win championships". Never was something so true. The years when Trinity was getting into and winning championship games our defense was an iron curtain. Even when we had John Brantley at QB our defense allowed him to win games. When the offense is not scoring or getting mired in inconsistent behavior, the defense is there to step up and control the situation. IMO defenses have a lot easier job than offenses. Their job is to outplay the offense using strength and knowledge of formations coming at them. The defense just has to work harder in practice to perfect precise tackling and defending against WR's. In HS football the teams that can defend well against WR's will win most of the time as most teams don't have a clue and/or  the athleticism to properly defend against the pass.

Columbia's offense must have heard defense wins championships, and that's why they let their defense play so much:rolleyes:

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.  Get ahead by a good margin, the other team gets desperate and start making mistakes.  Likewise, an ineffective offense that keeps going 3 and out, and the defense wears out.   Case in point: 2013 Hardee vs AHP; our defense held them to 10 first half points, got 2 interceptions and forced the to settle for a FG twice.  Offense couldn't move the ball, and eventually, the defense wore out. 

1 minute ago, Hwy17 said:

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.  Get ahead by a good margin, the other team gets desperate and start making mistakes.  Likewise, an ineffective offense that keeps going 3 and out, and the defense wears out.   Case in point: 2013 Hardee vs AHP; our defense held them to 10 first half points, got 2 interceptions and forced the to settle for a FG twice.  Offense couldn't move the ball, and eventually, the defense wore out. 

That sounds like our game against bartram trail in 2013

Might have been one of the worst performances by a passing game i had ever seen that night by Columbia 

Even if you have a good defense if they on the field for basically the entire game you not gonna win

What our defense got to do?  Score 5 defensive tds by themselves?? 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That sounds like our game against bartram trail in 2013

Might have been one of the worst performances by a passing game i had ever seen that night by Columbia 

Even if you have a good defense if they on the field for basically the entire game you not gonna win

What our defense got to do?  Score 5 defensive tds by themselves?? 

There were a number of games over the past three years where your offense put a lot of points on the board, but you D still gave up a lot.  To name a few...

52-34 W vs Gainesville

57-39 W vs Gainseville

35-28 W vs Lincoln

44-41 L vs Escambia

42-27 W vs Chiles

14 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

There were a number of games over the past three years where your offense put a lot of points on the board, but you D still gave up a lot.  To name a few...

52-34 W vs Gainesville

57-39 W vs Gainseville

35-28 W vs Lincoln

44-41 L vs Escambia

42-27 W vs Chiles

The game against Gainesville in 2015 we were winning by 25 points but we put in backups and they scored 3 times late to make it close before the coaches realized we put backups in way too early and then threw starters back in to finish Gainesville off

Lets just say the coaches try to keep those games closer than they should be

That game was nowhere near as close as it looked on the scoreboard, looking back on it we should have ran the score up because us being nice to them made us look weaker 

I would personally love to beat that team 70-0, certain teams I'm ok letting off the gas on,  not Gainesville. Anytime we play them i want to watch us embarrass Gainesville 

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The game against Gainesville in 2015 we were winning by 25 points but we put in backups and they scored 3 times late to make it close before the coaches realized we put backups in way too early and then threw starters back in to finish Gainesville off

Lets just say the coaches try to keep those games closer than they should be

That game was nowhere near as close as it looked on the scoreboard, looking back on it we should have ran the score up because us being nice to them made us look weaker 

I would personally love to beat that team 70-0, certain teams I'm ok letting off the gas on,  not Gainesville. Anytime we play them i want to watch us embarrass Gainesville 

So I guess when you lost to Escambia you were up by 30 and sent the backups in too early as well

On 5/25/2018 at 8:19 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Based on some research and info gathering i was able to single in on the most desperate programs in the state 

I used a point system to assign points to teams, if anyone is interested in seeing how the points were assigned let me know and I'll post it

Without further adieu here are the rankings based on the teams i included in the research 

Also if anything is incorrect let me know and I'll fix it 

Miami High (348)

Last championship 1965
Last finals appearance 1965
First playoff appearance 1965
Last playoff appearance 2017

Columbia (301)
Last championship  1967
Last finals appearance 1997
First playoff appearance 1964
Last playoff appearance 2017

Jesuit (292)