The best one hit wonders in Florida

FloTech

19 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Of the teams named so far, I think Flanagan wins hand down. 

...others deserve some credit/slack

Viera and Ponte Vedra are pretty new schools, so maybe deserve some slack.  Viera is online now and PV did make a deep run in 2011.

Killian and South Dade-Historically have played in brutal regions of 6A and 8A

PB Gardens has lost some tough games in the playoffs, ie Boone 06,(state semifinalist), Miramar 2011(state finalist), South Dade 2013 (state champ).

Booker lost to eventual state champ Miami Pace in 2003, Cocoa in 2007.

Ely has had many great teams and were defeated by numerous eventual state champions/finalists...Bradenton Southeast (93 and 94), Lakeland (99), Venice, (2000), Edgewater (04), St Thomas Aquinas (05, 06, 07) , Dwyer (13)

Pensacola lost in state semis in 1986, 1996 and 2004.

Pasco lost in state semis in 1983, 2008 and 2011.

St Augustine-Finalist in 2001 and 2007, state semis in 2002, 2004, 2010

Northview-state semis in 2010 and 2011

Mainland-in state semis many times over the years

I agree

Of the ones listed the most talented one is probably Flanagan 

21 minutes ago, FloTech said:

A is more like a used to or have been examples: Palm Bay, Lincoln

B is more like a Palm Beach Gardens or Viera type team 

I'll rather be the former

Maybe B 

Man all I was doing was just bringing up an interesting topic that ain't never really been covered I mean you always bring up interesting topics too

Here's why I asked...although we may think of certain teams as "one hit wonders,"  we owe it to them to look deeper.  A team like Mainland may only have one state title, but they have been to 7 state semi's since 2000.  Palm Bay has 2 titles and has been to 3 state semi's in the same time frame.  I would say Mainland's accomplishment is greater because they go deeply more consistently.  ...not taking anything away from Palm Bay.   

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I wish i knew what happened to Palm Bay 

Used to be one of the elite teams but they haven't been at that level for quite a few years 

It seems like Cocoa came on line about the same time that Palm Bay started fading a bit.  Not sure if that made a difference.

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Here's why I asked...although we may think of certain teams as "one hit wonders,"  we owe it to them to look deeper.  A team like Mainland may only have one state title, but they have been to 7 state semi's since 2000.  Palm Bay has 2 titles and has been to 3 state semi's in the same time frame.  I would say Mainland's accomplishment is greater because they go deeply more consistently.  ...not taking anything away from Palm Bay.   

When I think of one hit wonder that means u did it right one time look at Vero they are a for sure one hit....

Imo Venice would of been on this list but they won the state title last year so they barely missed this list themselves 

16 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I wish i knew what happened to Palm Bay 

Used to be one of the elite teams but they haven't been at that level for quite a few years 

They built two new high schools, Heritage and Bayside, that both drew students from their preexisting boundaries. That seriously depleted their talent pool. So even though they still have the same head coach (correct me if I am wrong on this), who is an excellent coach, they have not been able to compete without the talent. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

They built two new high schools, Heritage and Bayside, that both drew students from their preexisting boundaries. That seriously depleted their talent pool. So even though they still have the same head coach (correct me if I am wrong on this), who is an excellent coach, they have not been able to compete without the talent. 

Sad thing is neither school has really been successful 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Sad thing is neither school has really been successful 

I know. Heritage has shown sparks from time to time, but is average at best. Bayside had one good team in its existence. But a few players here and a few there and that can make a world of difference. Plus, with Cocoa's success, a few may have made the 18 mile trip north to Cocoa. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Both teams benefited from it too

7 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

So, as a 20-year head coach, which of the two scenarios would you prefer to have on your resume?  

A- has won 2 state titles and 2 state semi appearances, 8 losing seasons.

B- has won 1 state title and has 7 state semi appearances, 3 losing seasons

Mainland High (1) State title - 2003*

Semi-Finals - '98, '02, '03*, '04, '06, '11, '13, '14

Losing Seasons - ZERO ( since 1980's )

Playoff Seasons (24) - '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17.  What do you think about the 2018 season ?  Maybe (25) in a row :) 

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I know. Heritage has shown sparks from time to time, but is average at best. Bayside had one good team in its existence. But a few players here and a few there and that can make a world of difference. Plus, with Cocoa's success, a few may have made the 18 mile trip north to Cocoa. 

Heritage was good in 12 13 14 15 after that they fell off 

4 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Mainland High (1) State title - 2003*

Semi-Finals - '98, '02, '03*, '04, '06, '11, '13, '14

Losing Seasons - ZERO ( since '80's )

Playoff Seasons (24) - '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17.  What do you think about the 2018 season ?  Maybe (25) in a row :) 

and 190 wins since 1999...amazing record!

But beware, Dan, Pine Ridge and the Sandcrabs may rise up to spoil the streak:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, FloTech said:

I think Heritage is the best team in brevad not to go to states but they had to play against MC two years in a row 

I'll top that Flotech. 

2011- Mainland loses to Miami Central. Both finalist MC/Armwood disqualified 

2013- Mainland loses to Miami Central. State Champion

2014- Mainland loses to Miami Central. State Champion

2015- Mainland loses to Miami Central. State Champion

2016- Mainland loses to Miami Carol City. State Champion

I'm a "homer."  The lenses on my glasses are Blue and Gold...Buc Forever

19 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

I'll top that Flotech. 

Dan will never admit to this, but he bought Miami Central Rocket bedsheets after the 2015 loss.:P  He secretly admires them. 

29 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

I'll top that Flotech. 

I was talking about Palm Bay Heritage being the best team in Brevard not making it to the state finals when they were good... 

But yea y'all a one hit too lol

31 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

I'll top that Flotech. 

and at nationally ranked Lakeland 2004 and 2006.  Those were bad trips for Mainland, but Dan did pick up a lovely souvenir hat during his first visit.  I heard some irate Mainland fan put a real cannonball in the cannon in 06 and tried to take out Lakeland's famous  helmet, but they never caught the guy:rolleyes:

Image result for lakeland dreadnaught hat photoImage result for lakeland dreadnaught hat photo

30 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Dan will never admit to this, but he bought Miami Central Rocket bedsheets after the 2015 loss.:P  He secretly admires them. 

It's not a secret 'OldLion. I traveled to Georgia and saw them play Camden County in 2010. Went to Bradenton in 2012 and saw them play at Manatee. Have also been to all their state chaampionship finals (2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014) in Orlando. And by the way, it's not the Rocket bedsheets  that are special. The female companion that occupies space between them is paramount. :) 

20 minutes ago, FloTech said:

I was talking about Palm Bay Heritage being the best team in Brevard not making it to the state finals when they were good... 

But yea y'all a one hit too lol

I Know FloTech, you're right.  I was just throwing out a homer plug to my Buccaneers. Please excuse my exuberance. :)

15 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

and at nationally ranked Lakeland 2004 and 2006.  Those were bad trips for Mainland, but Dan did pick up a lovely souvenir hat during his first visit.  I heard some irate Mainland fan put a real cannonball in the cannon in 06 and tried to take out Lakeland's famous  helmet, but they never caught the guy:rolleyes:

Image result for lakeland dreadnaught hat photoImage result for lakeland dreadnaught hat photo

That guy does resemble your's truly.  Don't forget the loss to state champion Osceola in 1998. But who's counting.....