Team State Title Appearances by Decade - Who Dominated?

OldSchoolLion

Below are teams that have appeared in 3 or more state title games in one or more of the past 5 decades.  In the 1970's and 1980's, no team in the larger classes appeared in more than 3 state title games in one decade.  That changed in 1990, when 3 teams did it.   

So far this decade, 4 teams in the larger classes have already appeared in 5 or more title games...more than last decade.  That number may well grow over the next two seasons.  Personally, I enjoy seeing different teams compete year-to-year, but the trend is leaning toward more and more repeat performances.  I think of the 1990's as the birth of the "superteam" in Florida.  

1970’s (5)

Atlantic/Delray-3

FAMU-3

Glades Central-3

Merritt Island-3

Milton-3

1980’s (6)

Glades Day-8 

Baker-5 

Manatee-3

Suwanee-3

Titusville-3

Woodham-3

1990’s (10)

Bolles-5

Southridge-4

St Thomas Aquinas-4

University Christian-4

Frostproof-3

Glades Central-3

Glades Day-3 

North Florida Christian-3 

Southeast-3

Union County-3

2000’s (16)

St Thomas Aquinas-7

Bolles-6

Pahokee-6

North Florida Christian-5

Fort Meade-4

Lakeland-4

Northwestern-4

Armwood-3

Chaminade-3

Edgewater-3

Madison County-3

Naples-3

Nease-3

Plant-3

Trinity Catholic-3

Trinity Christian-3

2010’s (15)

Armwood-6

Miami Central-6

Miami Booker T Washington-5

St Thomas Aquinas-5

Trinity Christian-5

American Heritage/Delray-4

American Heritage/Plantation-4

Bolles-4

University Christian-4

Apopka-3

Champagnat-3

Cocoa-3

Dr Phillips-3

Madison County-3

Plant-3

Trenton-3

3 hours ago, Cocoa2010 said:

What’s the record for most consecutive state semi finals appearances? Is Cocoa’s run from 2007-2018 the longest?

I bet STA, Armwood, Plant, Booker T, Lakeland or Bolles have won 12 or more straight Region Championships/State Semis????

I am sure FHSAA keeps records

41 minutes ago, Tigers2017 said:

I bet STA, Armwood, Plant, Booker T, Lakeland or Bolles have won 12 or more straight Region Championships/State Semis????

I am sure FHSAA keeps records

Well cocoa has been to final 4 12 straight years not won 12 straight 

But i don't think any of them have had a run like that

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That one is impressive. Another one that’ll be hard to top is glades day’s 7 straight title game appearances in the 80’s

6 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Looks to me like small town high school football programs competing for the championship is a thing of the past.

...at least in the larger classes.  Although some still are in the mix, like Immokalee.  

Part of it is simply population change.  Pensacola teams were playing in the largest classes back in the 80's.  In the past, 3A was a great class for small town, public school teams.  ...not anymore with the changes that have been made to classes.  

7 hours ago, Cocoa2010 said:

What’s the record for most consecutive state semi finals appearances? Is Cocoa’s run from 2007-2018 the longest?

Not taking anything away from Cocoa or Pahokee or any other teams with big "modern-era" playoff runs, but comparing playoff runs of today versus 30 years ago is apples to oranges...at least in classes like modern-day 3A and 4A.  I've made previous posts concerning average point differentials in playoff games today versus the past...big differences.  Look at playoff scores this past year in 3A and 4A....ridiculous margins.  It is not the fault of Cocoa, Raines, Chaminade and Oxbridge, per se.

Changes in classes have made it so much easier for certain teams to make deep runs.  For example, the creation of Class 2B in the early 2000's paved the way for Pahokee to do their thing.  When they were competing in 2A and 3A with teams like Bolles, Chaminade, and Clewiston...no way they pull off what they did. 

It's sad.  The meeting of Chaminade and Oxbridge this past season in 3A was a given.  Years ago, in most cases, nobody would have been willing to bet their house on who would be in the finals in a certain class.  There was an element of surprise that has diminished today.

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yes they have WON 11 or 12 straight Region Championships.  Winning Region puts you in the Finsl 4.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Not taking anything away from Cocoa or Pahokee or any other teams with big "modern-era" playoff runs, but comparing playoff runs of today versus 30 years ago is apples to oranges...at least in classes like modern-day 3A and 4A.  I've made previous posts concerning average point differentials in playoff games today versus the past...big differences.  Look at playoff scores this past year in 3A and 4A....ridiculous margins.  It is not the fault of Cocoa, Raines, Chaminade and Oxbridge, per se.

Changes in classes have made it so much easier for certain teams to make deep runs.  For example, the creation of Class 2B in the early 2000's paved the way for Pahokee to do their thing.  When they were competing in 2A and 3A with teams like Bolles, Chaminade, and Clewiston...no way they pull off what they did. 

It's sad.  The meeting of Chaminade and Oxbridge this past season in 3A was a given.  Years ago, in most cases, nobody would have been willing to bet their house on who would be in the finals in a certain class.  There was an element of surprise that has diminished today.

Do not think you were taking anything away from Cocoa.  Was just wondering what the record was?

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Check this out and give me your thoughts on it

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uek4pLFDB2j6NUUKczheymyAk6kIq5ejqOgZqvqqMcE/edit?usp=drivesdk

15 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Those proposed class and district are sure to get changed and revised several times.  Whoever created those can't read a map!

The problem with creating a effective classification these days is that teams will whine and cry to get "as easy and limited work" as possible 

Teams being complete crybabies is why the classes are the way they are

I personally checked the distance on each district on this document myself and unless i missed something (someone feel free to post if this is incorrect) the longest travel distance was at approximately 100 miles or about 2 hours

We used to be in a district that mixed Tallahassee and Jacksonville schools 

It's 2 hours to Tallahassee and anywhere between 1-2 hours to Jacksonville depending on the location 

That's a 4 hour distance gap for a district just 1 way

The maximum on these would be maybe 2-3 hours 

So travel is not as insane in this,  teams would just need to suck it up for the betterment of the state

Auburndale is in a district with Wesley Chaple, Hudson, Crystal River etc, while Bartow is in a district with Jefferson, Southeast, Jesuit etc.

Bartow's distrcit makes more sense; Auburndale and Bartow are neighboring towns.  

Sebring, Lake Wales and Haines City are in a district with Hillsborough county teams, while George Jenkins is in another district with Hillsborough teams.  George Jenkins is much closer to Lake Wales and Haines City (Polk County).

Palmetto is in a district with teams from Lee and Collier counties and would literally drive right by other schools like Lakewood Ranch, Charlotte and Port Charlotte who are in the same class on their way to play a district game.  

18 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Auburndale is in a district with Wesley Chaple, Hudson, Crystal River etc, while Bartow is in a district with Jefferson, Southeast, Jesuit etc.

Bartow's distrcit makes more sense; Auburndale and Bartow are neighboring towns.  

Sebring, Lake Wales and Haines City are in a district with Hillsborough county teams, while George Jenkins is in another district with Hillsborough teams.  George Jenkins is much closer to Lake Wales and Haines City (Polk County).

Palmetto is in a district with teams from Lee and Collier counties and would literally drive right by other schools like Lakewood Ranch, Charlotte and Port Charlotte who are in the same class on their way to play a district game.  

Well how would you switch those districts up

The problem is that several of those districts have 8 or 9 teams already so they have to keep the same numbers they have now but they could have a few switch places 

Appears to me whoever setup this proposal is in fact feeding into certain schools on the coast!!!! There’s no way many schools will go for this and in fact will go independent because the drive itself doesn’t make sense. This is just as worse whenever they had certain central Florida schools in the same district down in Miami back in the early 2000s. FHSAA can create more districts for 5A that will fix teams spread out all over the place. 

22 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well how would you switch those districts up

The problem is that several of those districts have 8 or 9 teams already so they have to keep the same numbers they have now but they could have a few switch places 

Add more districts. There are more schools in 5a so it would make sense to add more districts!!!

BTW where did u get this because there’s nothing on FHSAAwebsite that I can find. Is this even official?

On 6/4/2018 at 10:33 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

...taking a step back and looking at this from a high level.  We have a district in 6A with representation from Hillsborough, Polk, Pasco  and Highlands County.  Something is terribly wrong with our system when Hillsborough High, smack dab in one of the biggest school districts in the state, can't line out its district schedule with teams from the same county.

Back in ancient times, districts made much more "geographical sense."  District titles were coveted and helped build rivalries.   How we can expect fans to get excited when, instead of playing the school down the street, we're playing a district game against a school whose mascot the fans don't even know?  That may sound funny, but it's a good litmus test.

2 hours ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

Add more districts. There are more schools in 5a so it would make sense to add more districts!!!

BTW where did u get this because there’s nothing on FHSAAwebsite that I can find. Is this even official?

It ain't from fhsaa 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...taking a step back and looking at this from a high level.  We have a district in 6A with representation from Hillsborough, Polk, Pasco  and Highlands County.  Something is terribly wrong with our system when Hillsborough High, smack dab in one of the biggest school districts in the state, can't line out its district schedule with teams from the same county.

Back in ancient times, districts made much more "geographical sense."  District titles were coveted and helped build rivalries.   How we can expect fans to get excited when, instead of playing the school down the street, we're playing a district game against a school whose mascot the fans don't even know?  That may sound funny, but it's a good litmus test.

See above 

I see this being talked about over on that dying board "rivals"

2 major things to point out

1) this ain't from fhsaa

2) business must be running on empty over there if Carlos Danger is commenting on a "prototype" that was only designed for initial feedback and not for final submission 

That document is not even close to being finished, the document is only for "testing waters" and finding out what people consider pros and cons of the system

The basic trial ideas in this system are a few things 

1) open class for the top level teams,  overall heard few if any complaints on it

2) larger districts, no districts less than 5 teams and the common average was 6-8 teams per district (something that has been suggested by many here before and also been something that fans have asked for before) 

3) the idea of 3 districts per region (this was a trial idea for feedback)

The point is the teams can be adjusted without a lot of trouble, it just takes some clever remodeling 

But i will say this

Carlos Danger was right about something he said over there

This layout was not by enrollment, this layout was designed with intentions to make the classes more competitive in fact after hearing some thoughts on this I've discovered a new potential trial to work with 

13 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I see this being talked about over on that dying board "rivals"

2 major things to point out

1) this ain't from fhsaa

2) business must be running on empty over there if Carlos Danger is commenting on a "prototype" that was only designed for initial feedback and not for final submission 

That document is not even close to being finished, the document is only for "testing waters" and finding out what people consider pros and cons of the system

The basic trial ideas in this system are a few things 

1) open class for the top level teams,  overall heard few if any complaints on it

2) larger districts, no districts less than 5 teams and the common average was 6-8 teams per district (something that has been suggested by many here before and also been something that fans have asked for before) 

3) the idea of 3 districts per region (this was a trial idea for feedback)

The point is the teams can be adjusted without a lot of trouble, it just takes some clever remodeling 

Why not go to open class for all based on enrollment size? No districts, just class and region and determine playoff teams by points.

38 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Why not go to open class for all based on enrollment size? No districts, just class and region and determine playoff teams by points.

Classes by enrollment is the biggest problem with current classes

You got teams out there with 4k kids who would get running clocked by schools with 300

14 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Classes by enrollment is the biggest problem with current classes

You got teams out there with 4k kids who would get running clocked by schools with 300

I disagree.  Just because a really good small school can whip a really bad large school doesn't mean that small school belongs in the same class.  Secondly, and I feel really strong about this, the transfer rules we have in place now compromises the purpose of why we have classes in the first place.  IMO, there should be a cap on the number of transfers a school can take,  or play up a class,  and also have a maximum number of transfers regardless of class.