KOC or 11 game season?

Hwy17

Great question Hwy17!  I like the idea behind a KOC, but it's hard to determine who uses it for what. It's been suggested to me in the past that the ideal way to set it up is- play starters and key backups the first half, 2nd string in the 3rd quarter and JV's in the 4th; however, the major programs seems to use it as an 11th game that just doesn't get put in the record books.

My issue isn't so much with the games themselves, it's with the "noise" on twitter when come week 7 you see a knucklehead say, "Yeah, they're good- but we beat them in the KoC".  OR, they talk about a team winning/losing without prefacing it's a KoC game.

I'm in favor of KOC games over an 11 game season as long as the KOC games are not factored into rankings or Strength of Schedule.

3 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Great question Hwy17!  I like the idea behind a KOC, but it's hard to determine who uses it for what. It's been suggested to me in the past that the ideal way to set it up is- play starters and key backups the first half, 2nd string in the 3rd quarter and JV's in the 4th; however, the major programs seems to use it as an 11th game that just doesn't get put in the record books.

My issue isn't so much with the games themselves, it's with the "noise" on twitter when come week 7 you see a knucklehead say, "Yeah, they're good- but we beat them in the KoC".  OR, they talk about a team winning/losing without prefacing it's a KoC game.

I'm in favor of KOC games over an 11 game season as long as the KOC games are not factored into rankings or Strength of Schedule.

Even though most claim to not use kickoff classic towards rankings it generally is used

What I've started doing is i evaluate preseason or spring games for the time the starters played

Like when Columbia played Bartram Trail i posted the final score as soon as backups went in so it was clear what the score was with starters since i saw several people reporting the entire game score without specifically stating how long starters were in 

12 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I don't think they should be used for rankings either.  Sometimes I wonder if maxpreps knows that they don't count.

Considering that the idea of doing away with districts and going with open classes seems to be growing, the idea of an 11th game that counts for points might become more desired.

2 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I don't think they should be used for rankings either.  Sometimes I wonder if maxpreps knows that they don't count.

Considering that the idea of doing away with districts and going with open classes seems to be growing, the idea of an 11th game that counts for points might become more desired.

They don't but maxpreps rankings are completely based on the data that coaches put in

Which is why they usually look off