Superior Collegiate

SPCjessica2004

Very active day in the world of high school football, specific with Clearwater based Superior Collegiate Academy. The school was hoping to be listed as a full FHSAA member for the next classification cycle. They started high school football last season (2017) and blossomed quickly. They attracted some of the best athletes in Pinellas county and quickly built a 2A roster capable of winning a state title. The schedule this year is a major step up from last year.  They took players from Calvary, CCC, Dunedin, Clearwater Academy and further down south in the Dixie Hollins HS area.

They've essentially been ruled a sports academy (think IMG). I've attached the article below. The Superior Collegiate coaches and administration feel they have been incorrectly labeled and I am interested in hearing their side of the story, but part of the issue is that they had a chance to freely speak this morning with the FHSAA Board of DIrectors and not one individual from Superior showed up to tell their story. Instead the AD is running around on twitter telling people they aren't being treated fairly.

The one question I've been asked quite a bit today (obviously) is what happens to the players? I have no clue- but, here is my thoughts.

1) Stay at Superior Collegiate and graduate before moving onto college. The supporters of SC say the academics are just as good as any public schools and there is a rigorous curriculum in place. The school has taken pains to inform the public that they are accredited to awarded high school diplomas. I've verified they are indeed accredited so the diploma is good. SC had a 10 game schedule, but some teams dropped them. For instance they were scheduled to play Jacksonville Oakleaf which ended up falling through. Right now the schedule sits at 7 regular season games.

2) Attend private school. Most private schools in Tampa Bay do not allow students to transfer for just their senior season; however, quite a few seniors transferred to SC from other private schools. For instance, Ethan White transferred from Calvary. I imagine he could transfer back to Calvary for his senior year. Same goes for the CCC transfers. This is a far more realistic option for the underclassmen.

3) Attend public school. This one shouldn't be a surprise, but the athletes can simply transfer to a public school and with the new transfer rules in place- shouldn't be an issue.

I've attached the Times article in the link below for you to formulate your own opinion, but it's a great read and really dives into the current trend in high school.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2018/06/12/fhsaa-denies-membership-to-superior-collegiate/

5 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Very active day in the world of high school football, specific with Clearwater based Superior Collegiate Academy. The school was hoping to be listed as a full FHSAA member for the next classification cycle. They started high school football last season (2017) and blossomed quickly. They attracted some of the best athletes in Pinellas county and quickly built a 2A roster capable of winning a state title. The schedule this year is a major step up from last year.  They took players from Calvary, CCC, Dunedin, Clearwater Academy and further down south in the Dixie Hollins HS area.

They've essentially been ruled a sports academy (think IMG). I've attached the article below. The Superior Collegiate coaches and administration feel they have been incorrectly labeled and I am interested in hearing their side of the story, but part of the issue is that they had a chance to freely speak this morning with the FHSAA Board of DIrectors and not one individual from Superior showed up to tell their story. Instead the AD is running around on twitter telling people they aren't being treated fairly.

The one question I've been asked quite a bit today (obviously) is what happens to the players? I have no clue- but, here is my thoughts.

1) Stay at Superior Collegiate and graduate before moving onto college. The supporters of SC say the academics are just as good as any public schools and there is a rigorous curriculum in place. The school has taken pains to inform the public that they are accredited to awarded high school diplomas. I've verified they are indeed accredited so the diploma is good. SC had a 10 game schedule, but some teams dropped them. For instance they were scheduled to play Jacksonville Oakleaf which ended up falling through. Right now the schedule sits at 7 regular season games.

2) Attend private school. Most private schools in Tampa Bay do not allow students to transfer for just their senior season; however, quite a few seniors transferred to SC from other private schools. For instance, Ethan White transferred from Calvary. I imagine he could transfer back to Calvary for his senior year. Same goes for the CCC transfers. This is a far more realistic option for the underclassmen.

3) Attend public school. This one shouldn't be a surprise, but the athletes can simply transfer to a public school and with the new transfer rules in place- shouldn't be an issue.

I've attached the Times article in the link below for you to formulate your own opinion, but it's a great read and really dives into the current trend in high school.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2018/06/12/fhsaa-denies-membership-to-superior-collegiate/

Facts are if they gonna no show the meeting they don't have room to talk 

Also any chance they need a kickoff classic game? 

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Facts are if they gonna no show the meeting they don't have room to talk 

Also any chance they need a kickoff classic game? 

Ironically, despite only having 7 games in he regular season, they do have a KOC against Nature Coast Technical.

26 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Can they join the SSAC?

1 minute ago, Hwy17 said:

Can they join the SSAC?

Good question! My understanding is that the SSAC are just FHSAA schools that chose not to participate in a district starting back in 2008/2009. Key phrase being FHSAA schools. According to the quite in the article Superior is flat out not a member at this time. I'm sure Josh or somebody a bit more in the know can chime in- but that's my thought process.

Just now, SPCjessica2004 said:

Good question! My understanding is that the SSAC are just FHSAA schools that chose not to participate in a district starting back in 2008/2009. Key phrase being FHSAA schools. According to the quite in the article Superior is flat out not a member at this time. I'm sure Josh or somebody a bit more in the know can chime in- but that's my thought process.

Did I read correctly that Superior Collegiate may compete as an independent?  SSAC members play as independents with a bowl game playoff at the end to award a championship among themselves.  Some good teams in that league.

12 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Did I read correctly that Superior Collegiate may compete as an independent?  SSAC members play as independents with a bowl game playoff at the end to award a championship among themselves.  Some good teams in that league.

The exact quote from the article is,

"They are not a member. They are not an independent. They are considered a non-member," Niblett said of Superior Collegiate. "So in that sense they can operate like an independent."

That's kind of a confusing response in context of your question, but it's the best I have. I think you nailed it though- SSAC members are essentially FHSAA independents.  According to the quote- it says Superior is a non-member.

It opens up a lot of questions, for instance- if they are not an independent and considered a non-member, do teams that play them still get points?  If the answer is no, it's going to be VERY difficult to fill that schedule.

4 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

The exact quote from the article is,

"They are not a member. They are not an independent. They are considered a non-member," Niblett said of Superior Collegiate. "So in that sense they can operate like an independent."

That's kind of a confusing response in context of your question, but it's the best I have. I think you nailed it though- SSAC members are essentially FHSAA independents.  According to the quote- it says Superior is a non-member.

It opens up a lot of questions, for instance- if they are not an independent and considered a non-member, do teams that play them still get points?  If the answer is no, it's going to be VERY difficult to fill that schedule.

True, but SSAC doesn't base their championship off points.  They kinda to their own thing. 

http://www.sunshinestateathletics.com/

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, skyway said:

@ColumbiaHighFan2017class looks like they played Gainesville in the KOC?

Yeah they did, that game went as I expected

9 hours ago, skyway said:

Any more current thoughts on this team? Looks like they changed their name to American Collegiate Academy High School. They play at Lakeland and then at St. Frances of Baltimore in consecutive weeks coming up. 

They gonna get running clocked in both those games