3A after Oxbridge (Summertime stuff)

SPCjessica2004

Once news of Oxbridge Academy disbanding the football team for 2018 hit the news I started receiving inquires into a new order for Class 3A- quite frankly, I was actually humbled by how many people thought of me on the topic. The reality is I did a post Spring 3A review a few weeks ago and neither myself, husband or brother were in a hurry to look at things again this soon after Spring ended; however, Maxpreps recently released their preview for the 2018 season which includes starting rankings for each team.

It's cumbersome to track down as you have to look up each team individually and click preview, but the information is there. Because losing a powerhouse school like Oxbridge is a big thing I decided to meet the people who like rankings and random message board fodder halfway. Instead of giving my rankings, here is how Maxpreps sees things and I'll comment on their rankings instead.

Lastly in the name of redundancy I decided to make a single thread dedicated to 3A summertime football so the conversation doesn't spill onto other topics. So, without further ado here are the preseason Maxpreps Class 3A rankings:

#1) Chaminade-Madonna             #3 (State)     #31 (National)                Region 4
#2) Clearwater CC                         #25 (State) #268 (National)                Region 3
#3) FSU High School                     #67 (State) #667 (National)                Region 1
#4) Tampa Catholic                       #81 (State) #1803 (National)              Region 3
#5) King's Academy                      #89 (State) #1070 (National)              Region 2
#6) A. Heritage Delray                   #126(State) #1525 (National)            Region 4
#7) Berkeley Prep                           #129(State) #1590 (National)            Region 3
#8)Benjamin School                      #133(State) #1668 (National)             Region 4                     

#9)Melbourne CC                           #147(State) #1871(National)              Region 2
#10) Calvary Christian Academy  #203 (State) #2791 (National)
          Region 4
#11) Ft. White                                   #218(State)  #3034 (National)          Region 1
#12) Calvary Christian                    #228 (State)  #3175 (National)          Region 3

What I agree with:
Maxpreps is usually wrong at this point because it's only pulling data from 2017 and rosters aren't properly updated, but I think this is pretty close to what most people would pick. I love the top 3. Chaminade is clearly the #1 team in the class, CCC is clearly the #2 team in the class and FSU is a trendy pick to be ranked top 5 in the class. I personally had Tampa Catholic at #3, but they've bit hit with the transfer bug pretty hard and a popular rumor swirling all over Tampa is the QB is looking to transfer to Tampa Jesuit.  Going down the list- I think Berkeley Prep is on the verge of the top 5 and correct at #7.  Benjamin School looks good.

What I disagree with:
Granted the season is a long ways away- I was very impressed by American Heritage's performance against a good Lake Wales team in Spring. I'm thinking they should be ranked higher than King's and probably even with TC. If the TC QB transfers out, then there's no question- AHD is #4 IMHO.  King's is a top 8 team, but #5 pretty lofty. MCC at #9 is probably a tad low- I know they graduated a lot and have some significant holes to fill but they did land the Holy Trinity RB and the younger Valentine RB is a rising superstar. Coach Sizemore won't let the program fall behind to far. Ft. White is probably a touch to low. I would probably swap CCA and Ft. White. A month ago- I felt Calvary Christian (Clearwater) was a top 8 team in 3A and they still might be, but they've since lost some key pieces to CCC.

How would Oxbridge have impacted the standings?
Had Oxbridge not disbanded football and not lost any players here is where they would be at:
#2) Oxbridge Academy #12 (State) #167 (National)

Alright- that's all I've got for now. Thanks for reading!

#1) Chaminade-Madonna          Region 4
#2) Clearwater CC      Region 3
#3) FSU High School             Region 1
#4) Tampa Catholic                Region 3
#5) Kings Academy    Region 2
#6) A. Heritage Delray Region 4
#7) Berkeley Prep                 Region 3
#8)Benjamin School                Region 4                     

#9)Melbourne CC          Region 2
#10) Calvary Christian Academy 
Region4
#11) Ft. White     Region 1
#12) Calvary Christian         Region 3

Ok so breakdown 

Region 1

2 teams (Florida High and Fort White)

Region 2

2 teams (Kings Academy and Melbourne Central Catholic)

Region 3

4 teams  (Clearwater Central Catholic, Tampa Catholic, Berkeley Prep and Calvary Christian)

Region 4

4 teams (Chaminade Madonna, American Heritage Delray, Benjamin, and Calvary Christian Academy)

So 8 teams in 3a south 

4 teams in 3a North 

The biggest thing that oxbridge falling apart does is leave a huge hole at the top, could any team in the 3a north realistically compete with Chaminade?

I personally have my doubts but they play the season for a reason 

36 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The biggest thing that oxbridge falling apart does is leave a huge hole at the top, could any team in the 3a north realistically compete with Chaminade?

To give you a point-blank answer, no. Chaminade would have to completely fall apart for a 3A north team to compete with them this year. FSU School is a good story and I think they're in a position to get a shot in Orlando, but I expect  Chaminade's only challenges of note will come from AHD and CCC, two teams that they beat 79-3 last year. I do believe Chaminade is still significantly better than both teams, but I also believe assuming those games happen (meaning, no upsets) they'll be more competitive affairs in 2018 particularly CCC which has seen a boon of transfers since their win over Clearwater in Spring and the addition of Jerry Wunsch to their coaching staff.

7 minutes ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

So out of the top 12 teams in 3A there is one public school? We will see when season starts on the FSU team they got beat by Suwanee in spring so not to impressed and definitely not top 3 in 3A in the state. 

Calpreps had bartram trail 20 spots ahead of us after we destroyed them in the spring 

For some reason even though computer polls count fall scrimmages they ignore ones in the spring 

Go figure,  but we will probably see if they for real when season starts

Also surprised not to see Trinity Catholic on here,  they are a dark horse in my opinion 

Columbia,

I looked up Ocala Trinity Catholic as they're a team I always keep a distant eye on- here's where they are starting:

#21 in 3A, #291 (State), #4620 (National)

Another team I was curious wasn't in the top was Orlando First Academy. They went 10-0 last year. They're at:

#23 in 3A, #296 (State), #4770 (National)

Computer rankings are rarely accurate this time a year and this year is no different- there are some head scratchers.

22 minutes ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

So out of the top 12 teams in 3A there is one public school? We will see when season starts on the FSU team they got beat by Suwanee in spring so not to impressed and definitely not top 3 in 3A in the state. 

As you are probably aware, there are only a handful of public teams in 3A and 2A.  

3A

Baldwin-R1

Florida High-R1

Fort White-R1

Newberry-R1

Taylor County-R1

Taylor(Pierson)-R2

Marathon - R4

2A

FAMU-R1

Moore Haven-R4

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

As you are probably aware, there are only a handful of public teams in 3A and 2A.  

3A

Baldwin-R1

Florida High-R1

Fort White-R1

Newberry-R1

Taylor County-R1

Taylor(Pierson)-R2

Marathon - R4

2A

FAMU-R1

Moore Haven-R4

In that case there are actually 2 in top 12

Taylor County is also a team i usually keep a eye on each year 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

In that case there are actually 2 in top 12

Taylor County is also a team i usually keep a eye on each year 

FSU High School (Florida High)  is listed as a Laboratory School. I wasn't sure if they are public, private or if Lab School is its own designation; however, the Florida DOE classifies them as public. So, in that respect- Maxpreps has 2 public schools in the top 12.

https://app2.fldoe.org/publicapps/Schools/schoolmap/flash/schoolmap_text.asp

25 minutes ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

I didnt know Florida high was a public swore you had to apply to go there. And my other point is 6 out of 7 publics are in the north 5 in one region so not surprised no one  gives the guys out of the north a shot to compete,

I wasn't quite sure myself and decided to double check the Florida DOE with NCES which is a national entity, they list it as public as well (see here).   Niche lists them as public charter school.   With the FLDOE, NCES and Niche listing them as public that's enough for me.

Now, you're also right- they apparently have an application process (see here).  My understanding is that charter schools typically do have an application process but I'm not sure if everybody is admitted or not. 

11 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I wasn't quite sure myself and decided to double check the Florida DOE with NCES which is a national entity, they list it as public as well (see here).   Niche lists them as public charter school.   With the FLDOE, NCES and Niche listing them as public that's enough for me.

Now, you're also right- they apparently have an application process (see here).  My understanding is that charter schools typically do have an application process but I'm not sure if everybody is admitted or not. 

It is getting quite confusing.  There are schools like Mater Academy and Doral Academy in Miami-Dade, which sound like private schools, but are actually part of the public school system.  

4 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Guess I am old school cause if you have to apply to a school I wouldn't call it a public school and if you have to fill out app to attend then there is a chance you will be denied or there is no reason for the app IMO. It is what is tho. But with Oxbridge now out of the north it will let another team get to Orlando but wont do anything for the blow out that will happen.

27 minutes ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

Guess I am old school cause if you have to apply to a school I wouldn't call it a public school and if you have to fill out app to attend then there is a chance you will be denied or there is no reason for the app IMO. It is what is tho. But with Oxbridge now out of the north it will let another team get to Orlando but wont do anything for the blow out that will happen.

Yeah

Basically it's a bunch of teams fighting to get sent to slaughter house by Chaminade Madonna 

Basically what it was with Trinity Christian in 3a north for a few years 

2 minutes ago, badbird said:

because  I thought this was the Oxbridge thread where Columbiafan felt bad for them and I don't.  Wrong thread.  Just not a fan of schools whose roster completely changes from spring to the fall. 

I felt bad because these kids are being shifted because of something above their pay grade and out of their control