3A after Oxbridge (Summertime stuff)

SPCjessica2004

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That don't mean that they wouldn't benefit from playing them DURING THE SEASON 

Most of plant vs lakeland games have come in the playoffs, i don't remember last time armwood played lakeland 

Armwood doesn't play lakeland... at all.. Which Geographically they should.

1 minute ago, peezy28 said:

Also there are other good teams in Hillsborough They may not be state level good but there are teams who are good just may not sustain that every year.

Not enough to fill out a schedule though

Really i only see 2 counties in the state that i would say could stay in county for 10 games and play a battle tested schedule for 10 games

Miami Dade and Broward counties 

2 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

No one in the state will prepare Armwood for playing a 6A south champ other than... The 6A south teams in that Miami district.

No team on the Planet will prepare Anyone for playing a fully loaded STA team... I give the coaching edge to Plant staff yet in 2 state title games they have lost a combined 74-14.  Sometimes it just don't matter. 

Teams like i listed would help put them closer to being prepared then teams like Leto would :D

Hillsborough isn't only county though

Duval  schools usually fills schedule up against other duval schools

Now the schools control schedules (unlike Hillsborough) but truthfully you can see differences between teams in duval who leave the county for games often (Trinity Christian, Bolles, Raines) and others who don't 

Not enough to fill out a schedule though

Really i only see 2 counties in the state that i would say could stay in county for 10 games and play a battle tested schedule for 10 games

Miami Dade and Broward counties 

But no team plays a top 10 team every game... None of the aforementioned title teams do either... Sure they play a more competitive schedule but we are overstated the affect that has on them competing for a title.

When Plant can combine the talent with their coaching get a few lucky bounces they will win state... and i will not matter who is on their schedule because they prepare for every team as if they were preparing for the best team in the state... I have seen the prepare for Leto and they take no days off even though they game will usually be over 5 minutes into the 1st qtr.

As for Armwood... Their days of dominance are over... They will be a good playoff team going forward but I doubt you see them playing in many more state titles any time soon.  Changing of the guard.

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Teams like i listed would help put them closer to being prepared then teams like Leto would :D

Not how Plant operates... They schedule who they can whether its in season or pre season (like Venice) and usually have no fear.  I am no plant apologist but I had the opportunity to coach on their staff and I know how good they are at preparing.  If they win a title, who they played in the season will have no bearing unless they are playing a team for a 2nd time (see manatee). 

Just now, peezy28 said:

Not how Plant operates... They schedule who they can whether its in season or pre season (like Venice) and usually have no fear.  I am no plant apologist but I had the opportunity to coach on their staff and I know how good they are at preparing.  If they win a title, who they played in the season will have no bearing unless they are playing a team for a 2nd time (see manatee). 

Keep in mind I'm talking about the county as a whole not just plant 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Hillsborough isn't only county though

Duval  schools usually fills schedule up against other duval schools

Now the schools control schedules (unlike Hillsborough) but truthfully you can see differences between teams in duval who leave the county for games often (Trinity Christian, Bolles, Raines) and others who don't 

I am not denying that Hillsborough scheduling royally sucks.  It does most coaches would agree.  But I think its overstated how much it has to do with them competing for states.  If they don't have it they just don't have it.

Keep in mind I'm talking about the county as a whole not just plant 

I know... but some of those teams (most) are just not good enough to compete for state titles.  Point blank period.

My county Pinellas has similar yet less stringent scheduling.  The coaches and AD handle it but since its still centralized they cannot travel out of state or county with county funds... So they can do it but its self pay.  East Lake and Clearwater have been traveling frequently out of county for games... I agree it helps them preparing for the playoffs instead of playing say Dunedin (my sorry arse alma mater) or Dixie Hollins but at some point they just don't have enough fire power to get it done.  

I am not denying that Hillsborough scheduling royally sucks.  It does most coaches would agree.  But I think its overstated how much it has to do with them competing for states.  If they don't have it they just don't have it.

I'm not saying it would have turned getting blown out into a win but I have a hard time believing that playing better competition wouldn't have helped someone like armwood be more prepared in recent years 

Armwood in a few of these years wouldn't see a elite team until they got to states, that couldn't have been a good thing 

46 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm not saying it would have turned getting blown out into a win but I have a hard time believing that playing better competition wouldn't have helped someone like armwood be more prepared in recent years 

Armwood in a few of these years wouldn't see a elite team until they got to states, that couldn't have been a good thing 

It would be an interesting stand-alone topic...scheduling.  Armwood and Plant seem to have done just fine over the years in the playoffs even without the toughest of regular season schedules.  I am sure we could name other teams as well.  

In the stone ages, you usually played local teams.  And it was part science, part art to get your team ready for the playoffs and "up" for specific games.  Somehow we managed.  There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to scheduling "tough" teams.  Once your team is at a certain level of play, further exposure is not necessarily going to make them better.   Quality of practice and coaching is far more important.

If I am a boxer, facing a wrestler in a match is not going to make me a better wrestler.  Practicing wrestling with a good coach on a regular basis is going to make me better.       

43 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Nothing Armwood could have done to get over that Central Hump... They just were not good enough and their players mentally were F'd IMO... Its like TC and Jesuit.. .Jess can tell you better than me.  Many year TC has the better team but mentally they cannot get over the Hump to beat Jesuit.. I think it has been 17 years or something like that since they have beaten their rivals... for them its mental.  No one they play will help that. 

Nothing Armwood could have done to get over that Central Hump... They just were not good enough and their players mentally were F'd IMO... Its like TC and Jesuit.. .Jess can tell you better than me.  Many year TC has the better team but mentally they cannot get over the Hump to beat Jesuit.. I think it has been 17 years or something like that since they have beaten their rivals... for them its mental.  No one they play will help that. 

They didn't beat Miami Northwestern this year either 

Just a little... what were we talking about again LMAO... You know what throws us off is Columbia gets angry and has to tangent when IMG or STA is mentioned... My bad LMAO.

You the one who brought STA into discussion first lol

One post was about Chaminade then you brought up St Thomas Aquinas lol

They didn't beat Miami Northwestern this year either 

I know... I was referring to years past... This Miami team was probably their best chance but based on what I had seen from ARmwood during the year I knew they would not be up to it... Those teams play with a different level of aggression that Armwood players don't respond well to.... You really can't duplicate that except for playing teams from down there...

Just now, peezy28 said:

I know... I was referring to years past... This Miami team was probably their best chance but based on what I had seen from ARmwood during the year I knew they would not be up to it... Those teams play with a different level of aggression that Armwood players don't respond well to.... You really can't duplicate that except for playing teams from down there...

Which is what I'm been trying to say for a page now 

A team like armwood would benefit from playing better teams during the season 

9 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It would be an interesting stand-alone topic...scheduling.  Armwood and Plant seem to have done just fine over the years in the playoffs even without the toughest of regular season schedules.  I am sure we could name other teams as well.  

In the stone ages, you usually played local teams.  And it was part science, part art to get your team ready for the playoffs and "up" for specific games.  Somehow we managed.  There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to scheduling "tough" teams.  Once your team is at a certain level of play, further exposure is not necessarily going to make them better.   Quality of practice and coaching is far more important.

If I am a boxer, facing a wrestler in a match is not going to make me a better wrestler.  Practicing wrestling with a good coach on a regular basis is going to make me better.       

You're right

We should have that topic discussion on here,  i nominate you to start it :P

1 hour ago, peezy28 said:

This is a true statement.  Jesuit has defeated TC 18 straight years and in many of those games TC had a superior team.

On paper, there have been years that TC should have rolled Jesuit by 3 TD's but they can't do it.  I look at the 2009 Tampa Catholic team with Chaz Green, Christian Green, Henry McCloud and a stout defense and they still lost.

In 2015, TC had Devan Barrett, Nate Craig Myers, Bentlee Sanders and a host of major D-1 guys and they lost to Jesuit.

To really emphasize Peezy's point though, in 2013 TC beat CCC in OT. The following week, CCC beat Jesuit 21-3 in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicates. Jesuit went on to dominate TC later that year.

There's something to be said about football being mental.  I've no doubt that TC will one day beat Jesuit, but right now Jesuit is on an upswing and TC is on a down swing. It'll be awhile before TC gets another crack, especially if they keep losing their key pieces to Jesuit.

1 minute ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

This is a true statement.  Jesuit has defeated TC 18 straight years and in many of those games TC had a superior team.

On paper, there have been years that TC should have rolled Jesuit by 3 TD's but they can't do it.  I look at the 2009 Tampa Catholic team with Chaz Green, Christian Green, Henry McCloud and a stout defense and they still lost.

In 2015, TC had Devan Barrett, Nate Craig Myers, Bentlee Sanders and a host of major D-1 guys and they lost to Jesuit.

To really emphasize Peezy's point though, in 2013 TC beat CCC in OT. The following week, CCC beat Jesuit 21-3 in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicates. Jesuit went on to dominate TC later that year.

There's something to be said about football being mental.  I've no doubt that TC will one day beat Jesuit, but right now Jesuit is on an upswing and TC is on a down swing. It'll be awhile before TC gets another crack, especially if they keep losing their key pieces to Jesuit.

Crestview had like 1 win in 30 years against niceville but have won back to back meetings 

Suwannee and Columbia used to be a much more competitive rivalry but Columbia is currently won 10 years in a row and considering the shape of both teams it will likely be a win streak that will only continue to climb 

All streaks end eventually though so sooner or later it will happen 

3 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Columbia,

TC plays at Crestview this year actually-  how are they looking? 

Honestly idk

They been solid past few years but i haven't had a chance to talk to anyone out in panhandle about them yet 

Shame is that had they not had a scheduling conflict they would have been at Columbia 7v7 event earlier this month and i would have gotten to see them live,  i would have even snuck away from one of our games to watch them had they come