3A after Oxbridge (Summertime stuff)

SPCjessica2004

17 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Which is what I'm been trying to say for a page now 

A team like armwood would benefit from playing better teams during the season 

What I am saying is that it would not matter unless they are playing the teams they cannot beat... For Armwood they can play any team in the state every week but unless they are playing against Central, BTW, Northwestern ETC it will not help them get over the mental edge THOSE schools have over them.  For Plant the can play any team in the state but unless they are playing STA (well F it when STA is fully powered it still would not matter). 

The last team to play STA in our whole area close was Largo twice sorta... 1st time they lost 42-14 after leading going into the half 14-7.  Then the next year they lost 28-14 with the game tied at 14 going into the 4th... That's just as close as we get. 

16 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

This is a true statement.  Jesuit has defeated TC 18 straight years and in many of those games TC had a superior team.

On paper, there have been years that TC should have rolled Jesuit by 3 TD's but they can't do it.  I look at the 2009 Tampa Catholic team with Chaz Green, Christian Green, Henry McCloud and a stout defense and they still lost.

In 2015, TC had Devan Barrett, Nate Craig Myers, Bentlee Sanders and a host of major D-1 guys and they lost to Jesuit.

To really emphasize Peezy's point though, in 2013 TC beat CCC in OT. The following week, CCC beat Jesuit 21-3 in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicates. Jesuit went on to dominate TC later that year.

There's something to be said about football being mental.  I've no doubt that TC will one day beat Jesuit, but right now Jesuit is on an upswing and TC is on a down swing. It'll be awhile before TC gets another crack, especially if they keep losing their key pieces to Jesuit.

It really is crazy Jess.  My memory may not serve me best here but in those years 2015 and 2009 I feel like Jesuit's teams were not even that good.  I think 2015 they had a young Malik Davis probably a Sophomore (correct me as I know you know) but in 2009 I think that jesuit team was bare bones and still beat a stacked TC team.

16 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Crestview had like 1 win in 30 years against niceville but have won back to back meetings 

Suwannee and Columbia used to be a much more competitive rivalry but Columbia is currently won 10 years in a row and considering the shape of both teams it will likely be a win streak that will only continue to climb 

All streaks end eventually though so sooner or later it will happen 

Not to bring in college but this is like the Streak Florida has over Inferior Kentucky... Most years Kentucky has not chance against UF but the last 2 they did and ended up choking away the games in the worst way possible.... Totally mental. 

47 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Not to bring in college but this is like the Streak Florida has over Inferior Kentucky... Most years Kentucky has not chance against UF but the last 2 they did and ended up choking away the games in the worst way possible.... Totally mental. 

Kentucky should have won last year, they really blew their opportunity there

Wanted to follow-up on Tampa Catholic losing their star QB, made headlines today as it's now out in the media. In addition, TC also lost one of their key offensive linemen 6'4, 310lb Tyus Gibson who I wasn't aware of that they lost.

That's 2 big linemen transfers out of TC to area public schools. Here's the presser below:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2018/06/26/tampa-catholic-qb-kiael-kelly-now-at-rival-jesuit/

4 hours ago, peezy28 said:

It really is crazy Jess.  My memory may not serve me best here but in those years 2015 and 2009 I feel like Jesuit's teams were not even that good.  I think 2015 they had a young Malik Davis probably a Sophomore (correct me as I know you know) but in 2009 I think that jesuit team was bare bones and still beat a stacked TC team.

Yes, that 2009 TC team was awesome. They finished 11-2 and smashed pretty much everybody...but they lost to Jesuit who, record wise was solid but didn't have anywhere near the talent level of TC. That TC team beat CCC, beat Chaminade-Madonna, beat a loaded OTC team, beat a loaded Lake Highland Prep team twice.   They gave Bolles a game for a half as well in the state finals.

The 2015 version of Jesuit was really good, they had a Junior Malik Davis- but TC was was as loaded with Devan Barrett. TC was competitive, but Jesuit blew the game open in the third quarter.

The 2013 game was the one where TC was super loaded against a Jesuit team that was the definition of average. That Jesuit team was out in the first round, they had a freshmen Malik Davis.  Jesuit struggled all year, they lost to Largo, CCC, Hardee. The TC team made the state final 4 and punched Trinity Christian right in the mouth before fading in the 4th quarter.  That TC team had 0, none, nadda business of losing to Jesuit..and yet Jesuit hung around and stole it in the 4th quarter.   That TC team had TJ Harrell, Jacob Rios and Tre Watkins with Kyle Ploucher at QB. 

I'll break that series down later this year.

26 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Yes, that 2009 TC team was awesome. They finished 11-2 and smashed pretty much everybody...but they lost to Jesuit who, record wise was solid but didn't have anywhere near the talent level of TC. That TC team beat CCC, beat Chaminade-Madonna, beat a loaded OTC team, beat a loaded Lake Highland Prep team twice.   They gave Bolles a game for a half as well in the state finals.

The 2015 version of Jesuit was really good, they had a Junior Malik Davis- but TC was was as loaded with Devan Barrett. TC was competitive, but Jesuit blew the game open in the third quarter.

The 2013 game was the one where TC was super loaded against a Jesuit team that was the definition of average. That Jesuit team was out in the first round, they had a freshmen Malik Davis.  Jesuit struggled all year, they lost to Largo, CCC, Hardee. The TC team made the state final 4 and punched Trinity Christian right in the mouth before fading in the 4th quarter.  That TC team had 0, none, nadda business of losing to Jesuit..and yet Jesuit hung around and stole it in the 4th quarter.   That TC team had TJ Harrell, Jacob Rios and Tre Watkins with Kyle Ploucher at QB. 

I'll break that series down later this year.

Thanks for jogging my memory yeah that 2015 Jesuit team (Maliks Jr Year) was a pretty good team.  I remember the Jesuit CCC game where Malik ran for like 300 yard and CJ had like 300 total years both scoring probably 4 tds a piece by themselves.  CCC pulled it out in the end but that was a really good Jesuit team.

The 2013 is the one I was thinking of that was not very good and I remember thinking (after seeing them in person lose to Largo bad and CCC bad if I remember correctly) "This is the year there is no way this jesuit team could beat TC"  After they won I said this streak will go on for another 20 years LOL. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Gregory has stepped down as the head coach at Tampa Catholic. Jeris McIntyre has taken over- he's a TC alumni and was team captain for Auburn in 2003 before playing 3 years in the NFL.  

Jeris will inherit a team that is a shadow of its former self from 2017 due to a significant graduating class and then losing 11 players who transferred out of the program.  TC still has a very good 1-2-3 punch of RB's in Sr Jalen Bussey, Sr Caleb Tate and Jr Qunicy Hipps Jr. The Crusaders also have a potent WR core with Chris Murray, DJ Taylor and TE Austin White.   The WR's double as CB's and S's.

My immediate feedback?  It has been a tough off-season for Tampa Catholic. The program is clearly having to rebuild itself from within but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  TC will play 2018 as part of Class 3A but with an anticipated enrollment of 780+, expect TC to be forced into 4A for 2019 unless the FHSAA changes the cutoff numbers. 

Article link:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2018/07/11/tampa-catholics-mike-gregory-steps-down/