SFL vs Orlando Teams in 8A

OldSchoolLion

Below are arguably the top 7 8A teams from each metro area and their composite records from the past 3 seasons.  Which area is stronger overall in terms of depth?

*=3 straight winning seasons

South Florida 8A

*Atlantic 33-7-1

*Columbus 30-9

Coral Gables 25-9

*Deerfield Beach 28-8

Miramar 22-8

*Southridge 25-11

South Dade 24-9-1

Orlando Area 8A

*Apopka 30-7

Boone 21-14

*Dr Phillips 34-9

*Osceola 33-4

*Seminole 28-8

*Wekiva 25-10

Winter Park 25-11

36 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Here is one way to think about it....if each team from south FL had played each of the 7 Orlando teams each of the past 3 years, that would be a total of 147 games.  Who would have won the majority of those games, south FL or Orlando area teams?   

In my opinion, the Orlando area would have won more games. Of course I am biased. However, let me say that I feel Apopka, Osceola and Dr. Phillips, for sure, would have had solid winning records against the South Florida schools. I also feel that the remaining 4 Orlando area schools would have split 50/50 or come very close to 50/50 against the South Florida teams.

Why? In the case of Apopka, its single wing offense would give the South Florida teams fits, at least for the first two of the three years. With respect to DP and Osceola, they have just had really, really good teams each of the past three years. I feel 2016 Seminole was an excellent team, and that 2017 and 2016 Wekiva had stellar defenses. I am also fairly confident that Boone and Winter Park would have won enough games (even if not 50%) to ensure the Orlando area got over the hump the past three years. 

43 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Here is one way to think about it....if each team from south FL had played each of the 7 Orlando teams each of the past 3 years, that would be a total of 147 games.  Who would have won the majority of those games, south FL or Orlando area teams?   

I doubt any of those South Florida teams would have been able to handle the single wing

Hell loaded deerfield Beach looked silly facing Bolles wing T

Same Bolles we crushed by 29 points

Apopka formation much more complex than Bolles is

Point is Central Florida got some solid teams, whether SFL want to admit it or not 

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Atlantic vs Dr Phillips

Columbus  vs Osceola

Coral Gables vs Winter Park 

Deerfield Beach vs Apopka 

Miramar  vs Boone

Southridge vs Wekiva

South Dade vs Seminole

If i had to pick the games with last year roster it would look somewhat like that 

7 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

I stand by MY PICK

Explain to me this

How the hell will these teams prepare for a offense none of them ever see?

single wing is a offense that are hardly seen (at least by ones who run it efficiently)

Several very solid south Florida teams over the years have struggled against that kind of offense ran by apopka 

Even elite teams have made to look foolish in attempts to stop it,  how will they defend against the offense?

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Explain to me this

How the hell will these teams prepare for a offense none of them ever see?

single wing is a offense that are hardly seen (at least by ones who run it efficiently)

Several very solid south Florida teams over the years have struggled against that kind of offense ran by apopka 

Even elite teams have made to look foolish in attempts to stop it,  how will they defend against the offense?

They have coaches like the North teams do fool lol cmon now oh oh AND the South will out athlete them too lets be real since 8a have been here, it has been split so ion know whats the point of this shit

4 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

They have coaches like the North teams do fool lol cmon now oh oh AND the South will out athlete them too lets be real since 8a have been here, it has been split so ion know whats the point of this shit

Several south Florida teams have played Apopka recently,  with loss as a result

When you don't face a offense like that often you struggle

The teams that generally beat apopka (West Orange, Dr Phillips) are used to playing them

Can you even name 1 south Florida team who runs it :D

4 minutes ago, badbird said:

The offense is not that hard to stop.  The Apopka players make it hard to stop.  Also the adjustments made by Coach D make it tough to stop.

Not seeing it every week makes a difference yes and not knowing the offense well makes it tougher to prepare for.

Bc they have basically perfected that offense

Any half decent offense can work when mastered 

17 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Bolles has always run the Wing-T to perfection. Very few teams have ever beaten them as their offense is difficult to stop. We defeated them in the playoffs one year by out scoring them. Although we didn't allow them to score in the first half.

Just like they say only good to elite teams beat Columbia  

The same goes for Bolles, they 99% of the time only lose to other good to elite teams 

...some additional data...south FL vs central FL state final result in the biggest classification over the past 30 years...winner in bold

1989 Carol City v Manatee

1990 Southridge v Evans (tie-shared title)

1992 Dillard v Manatee

1993 Southridge v Manatee

1996 Carol City v Hillsborough 

1998 Northwestern v Southeast

1999 Dillard v Palm Bay

2001 Northwestern v Apopka

2002 Norland v Edgewater

2003 Carol City v Edgewater

2004 Killian v Edgewater

2006 Northwestern v Lake Brantley

2007 Northwestern v Boone

2008 Northwestern v Seminole

2009 Miramar v Deland

2010 Central v Dr Phillips 7-2

2011 Miramar v Plant

2012 Cypress Bay v Apopka

2013 South Dade v Apopka

2014 Columbus v Apopka

2015 Flanagan v Osceola

2016 Southridge v Dr Phillips

2017 Atlantic v Dr Phillips

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...some additional data...south FL vs central FL state final result in the biggest classification over the past 30 years...winner in bold

1992 Dillard v Manatee

1999 Dillard v Palm Bay

2002 Norland v Edgewater

2004 Killian v Edgewater

2009 Miramar v Deland

2011 Miramar v Plant

2013 South Dade v Apopka

2014 Columbus v Apopka

2015 Flanagan v Osceola

Didn't even realize apopka went to 3 straight finals

On 6/23/2018 at 1:44 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

1992 Dillard v Manatee

1999 Dillard v Palm Bay

2002 Norland v Edgewater

2004 Killian v Edgewater

2009 Miramar v Deland

2011 Miramar v Plant

2013 South Dade v Apopka

2014 Columbus v Apopka

2015 Flanagan v Osceola

Eight of those Southern winners (since '96) are bumped up small teams. Those that played above their in school population. As a central Florida homer, I also agree Orlando 8A is stronger then SFL 8A. But substitute with Miami NW, Central, Carol City, BTW, Killian, Jackson, and Mirimar and the south wins going away. With the exception of Jones and Bishop Moore all Orlando is 8A. The south is much different, more diverse, larger population, and many private powerhouses.

2 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

With the exception of Jones and Bishop Moore all Orlando is 8A. The south is much different, more diverse, larger population, and many private powerhouses.

There are some 7A schools in metro Orlando, too. East River, Lake Nona and Edgewater in Orange County. Lake Howell in Seminole County and several Osceola County schools, including Gateway, Harmony, etc.