Quiz #1-The Muck

OldSchoolLion

Three teams from the Muck...Glades Central, Pahokee, and Clewiston....together have played in a combined 26 state title games and well over 150 playoff games.  There is only one team that has ever beaten all of them at least once in a playoff game.  Who is it? 

Avon Park

Bartow

Bolles

Chaminade-Madonna

Clearwater Central Catholic

Cocoa

Frostproof

Hardee

Immokalee

Tampa Catholic

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Three teams from the Muck...Glades Central, Pahokee, and Clewiston....together have played in a combined 26 state title games and well over 150 playoff games.  There is only one team that has ever beaten all of them at least once in a playoff game.  Who is it? 

Avon Park

Bartow

Bolles

Chaminade-Madonna

Clearwater Central Catholic

Cocoa

Frostproof

Hardee

Immokalee

Tampa Catholic

I have no basis for this, but I am going to take a wild guess and say Hardee.

15 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Cocoa has beaten all 3 but has only played Glades Central and Clewiston in the playoffs. Beat Pahokee in the regular season. Glades in back to back state games. They will be playing both Glades Central and Pahokee in the regular season both in The Muck

I believe Cocoa is undefeated against Muck teams...playoffs and regular season combined

23 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Chaminade-Madonna

Chaminade-Madonna is the only team to have beaten Clewiston, Pahokee and Glades Central in the playoffs.  None of those victories took place in the Muck, though.  In 2005, CM beat Clewiston in the state semis and eventually won the 2A state title. In 2002, CM beat Pahokee in the state semis.  CM also knocked Pahokee out of the playoffs in 2009

Back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, Glades Central and Chaminade faced off a number of times in the playoffs.  At the time, Chaminade was a small, all-boys school with a strong program and “played up” in class.  Here’s a description of those games.

Glades won the regional title 18-16 at home in 1969 before 4000 fans.

Chaminade won the regional title 26-13 in 1970 at Hollywood McArthur stadium.

Glades won the regional title at home in 1971 with a 31-0 victory and went on to win the state title.

Glades won the regional title 20-6 in 1972 at South Broward Stadium before 2500 fans and then went on to win the state title.

Chaminade won the regional title 15-13 in 1974 at South Broward Stadium and eventually advanced to the state title game. David Shula played on that team.  Yep, that Shula.  This was an infamous game, as there was a riot on the field after the game ended.  There was a police helicopter with searchlight flying overhead and police dogs on the field.  Multiple police officers and fans were injured in the melee.  There was such bedlam that police officers had difficulty figuring out who was fighting and who was trying to quell things. 

Good question!  Tampa Catholic I don't think has ever played Pahokee or Glades Central.  I do recall the 2006 Tampa Catholic team losing a heartbreaker to Clewiston 10-7.  The 2007 Tampa Catholic team was a beast outside of losing to CCC 15-14 on a last second hail mary (it was televised).  They went on to get revenge against Clewiston by shutting them out 33-0 en route to their first state finals appearance against Madison County.  

The 2007/2008/2009 TC teams were the deepest teams they ever had. Hindsight being 20/20, TC at their peak would have been great competition for the Muck, particularly that 2008 team.

47 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Good question!  Tampa Catholic I don't think has ever played Pahokee or Glades Central.  I do recall the 2006 Tampa Catholic team losing a heartbreaker to Clewiston 10-7.  The 2007 Tampa Catholic team was a beast outside of losing to CCC 15-14 on a last second hail mary (it was televised).  They went on to get revenge against Clewiston by shutting them out 33-0 en route to their first state finals appearance against Madison County.  

The 2007/2008/2009 TC teams were the deepest teams they ever had. Hindsight being 20/20, TC at their peak would have been great competition for the Muck, particularly that 2008 team.

Overall, Tampa Catholic is 1-6 versus teams from the Muck in the playoffs.  Tampa Catholic has made 5 playoff trips to the Muck, and won once.  Here are the overall playoff results versus teams from the Muck.  Sorry it is not a prettier picture, Jessica. :(  

In 1971, after Glades Central beat Chaminade 31-0 in the Muck, they took out Tampa Catholic 35-0 in the Muck.  Glades eventually won the state title that year.

In 1996, Pahokee beat Tampa Catholic 25-22 in the the Muck. 

Clewiston beat Catholic in the Muck in 2001 and 2005, and Catholic won there in 2007.  Catholic lost to Clewiston at home in the playoffs in 1997 and 2006.  

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Overall, Tampa Catholic is 1-6 versus teams from the Muck in the playoffs.  Tampa Catholic has made 5 playoff trips to the Muck, and won once.  Here are the overall playoff results versus teams from the Muck.  Sorry it is not a prettier picture, Jessica. :(  

In 1971, after Glades Central beat Chaminade 31-0 in the Muck, they took out Tampa Catholic 35-0 in the Muck.  Glades eventually won the state title that year.

In 1996, Pahokee beat Tampa Catholic 25-22 in the the Muck. 

Clewiston beat Catholic in the Muck in 2001 and 2005, and Catholic won there in 2007.  Catholic lost to Clewiston at home in the playoffs in 1997 and 2006.  

Oh, I know it's ugly. Very few Tampa teams have ever won in the muck; however, my point was more- TC"s best teams historically were 2007-2008-2009. Those 3 years I would have liked to see them play a muck area team. Not saying they would have won, but it would have been highly competitive. 

On 7/5/2018 at 4:25 PM, 561_Fan said:

I don't think Pahokee has ever played Chaminade in Pahokee. We've played them in the regular season (away) and in the post-season (away)

I believe you are right.  Chaminade played in Clewiston in the regular season back in the early 2000's..and won.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:52 PM, Cocoa2010 said:

Cocoa is 2/3 on this. Never been in the same classification as Pahokee to see them in the playoffs.

Do you know Cocoa record vs. Muck

They have beaten Glades Central at least 3 tines

Beat Clewiston 4-5 times in playoffs

Running clocked Pahokee last year

Have they ever played besides these games???