Broward School Records Versus St Thomas 1966-2018

OldSchoolLion

Broward County School Records Versus St Thomas Aquinas 1966-2018

Broward Public Schools vs STA    56 wins - 291 losses (16% winning percentage)

All Broward Schools vs STA    68 wins - 337 losses (17% winning percentage)

American Heritage Plantation 0-1

Boyd Anderson 1-7

Cardinal Gibbons 6-36

Chaminade 6-4

Coconut Creek 0-7

Cooper City 2-8

Coral Springs 0-3

Cypress Bay 0-6

Deerfield Beach 12-16

Dillard 8-20

Douglas 2-4

Ely 5-21

Everglades 0-1

Flanagan 0-5

Fort Lauderdale 0-12

Hallandale 2-10

Hollywood Hills 5-16

McArthur 2-16

Miramar 8-17

Northeast 0-12

Nova 1-18

Pine Crest 0-3

Piper 1-12

Plantation 4-11

Pompano Beach 0-2

South Broward 1-20

South Plantation 0-16

Stranahan 2-13

Taravella 0-4

West Broward 0-1

Western 0-13

In terms of consistency, I think St Thomas is the best overall hs football program the state has ever seen.  That said, it gets boring seeing them beat the same Broward teams to a pulp year after year.  Look at the records above.  Their district games against Ft Lauderdale and Ely this year will likely be running clocks.  For non-district foes, they are playing Piper and Flanagan, both of whom were 1-9 last season.  Stranahan and Boyd Anderson may not fare much better.  Those 6 teams above are a combined 9wins-70losses versus STA.  It would not surprise me if all of them were running clock games.

I like the fact STA routinely plays Deerfield Beach and Miramar.  Even though STA has gotten the best of them, there have been some great games.  For years STA played Cardinal Gibbons(40+ times), but for some reason those games stopped in 2011.  It's a shame, because Cardinal Gibbons has really come in to its own.  And STA has not faced Chaminade since 1981. 

Although I like the idea of "local games," the stats above show that the Broward public schools cannot normally hang with STA.  For that reason, it would be nice to see more games against the better teams from Miami-Dade/Palm Beach or even outside south Floirda. 

Oddly, since 1984, STA has only played regular season games against 2 Florida teams from outside Dade/Broward/Palm Beach...Port St Lucie and Ft Pierce Central, each in 2001 and 2002.  None of those were very good teams. In the 1970's and early 1980's, STA routinely played teams from outside their area during the regular season(Coral Shores, Key West, Naples, Immokalee, Clewiston, Okeechobee, Frostproof, Cocoa Beach, Bartow).  Except for the Frostproof team, those were not particularly good teams when they played STA, but it did make life a little more interesting.   

15 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In terms of consistency, I think St Thomas is the best overall hs football program the state has ever seen.  That said, it gets boring seeing them beat the same Broward teams to a pulp year after year.  Look at the records above.  Their district games against Ft Lauderdale and Ely this year will likely be running clocks.  For non-district foes, they are playing Piper and Flanagan, both of whom were 1-9 last season.  Stranahan and Boyd Anderson may not fare much better.  Those 6 teams above are a combined 9wins-70losses versus STA.  It would not surprise me if all of them were running clock games.

I like the fact STA routinely plays Deerfield Beach and Miramar.  Even though STA has gotten the best of them, there have been some great games.  For years STA played Cardinal Gibbons(40+ times), but for some reason those games stopped in 2011.  It's a shame, because Cardinal Gibbons has really come in to its own.  And STA has not faced Chaminade since 1981. 

Although I like the idea of "local games," the stats above show that the Broward public schools cannot normally hang with STA.  For that reason, it would be nice to see more games against the better teams from Miami-Dade/Palm Beach or even outside south Floirda. 

Oddly, since 1984, STA has only played regular season games against 2 Florida teams from outside Dade/Broward/Palm Beach...Port St Lucie and Ft Pierce Central, each in 2001 and 2002.  None of those were very good teams. In the 1970's and early 1980's, STA routinely played teams from outside their area during the regular season(Coral Shores, Key West, Naples, Immokalee, Clewiston, Okeechobee, Frostproof, Cocoa Beach, Bartow).  Except for the Frostproof team, those were not particularly good teams when they played STA, but it did make life a little more interesting.   

When did STA play Frostproof, Key West, Immokalee, Clewiston, Okeechobee, or Bartow?

9 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

When did STA play Frostproof, Key West, Immokalee, Clewiston, Okeechobee, or Bartow?

All of the following were regular season games STA played against FL teams from outside Dade/Broward/Palm Beach over the past 50 years.  STA won games except those noted with an asterisk.  Their only loss on the road was a 16-12 loss to Okeechobee in 1974.  

Bartow 1983(A)

Clewiston 72(H)

Cocoa Beach 73(A) - tie game

Coral Shores 72(A), 74(A) and 75(H)

Ft Pierce Central 01(A), 02(H)

Frostproof 73(A) STA won 7-0

Immokalee 77(A)

Key West 75(H), 76(A), *77(H), 78(A), *79(H), 80(A), 84(A) 

Melbourne CC 70(H)

Naples *82(H), 83(A), 84(A)

Okeechobee *74(A), *75(H) 

Pt St Lucie 01(H), 02(A)

• 5 months later...

ST Thomas went 9-0 versus Broward County public schools this year to run their record to ...

STA vs Broward County Public Schools   300 wins vs 56 losses (84% winning percentage)

STA vs All Broward County Schools          346 wins vs 68 losses (84% winning percentage)

STA's opponents this past season are a combined 29-111 versus STA.  Let's hope STA can do better than scheduling Flanagan and Stranahan in the future.