Gainesville Sun preseason area rankings

DisabledAccount

30 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If you can read comments you can obviously see a lot of Bradford who feel they should be top spot

@MinuteMan what exactly does Bradford bring back this year? 

What geographical region is this poll supposed to represent?  How is "area" being defined?

If it is supposed to be north central FL, I was curious why it does not include the Ocala area.  ..or Madison County?   

32 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

What geographical region is this poll supposed to represent?  How is "area" being defined?

If it is supposed to be north central FL, I was curious why it does not include the Ocala area.  ..or Madison County?   

I am going to guess it's just the area that the Sun operates in. It used to be that the Orlando Sentinel covered Brevard prep sports back in the early 2000s. That stopped when they stopped distributing the paper to Brevard due to Florida Today's presence in the market. But from a purely geographic standpoint, Brevard is as much Orlando area as is Volusia (which the Sentinel still covers) in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I am going to guess it's just the area that the Sun operates in. It used to be that the Orlando Sentinel covered Brevard prep sports back in the early 2000s. That stopped when they stopped distributing the paper to Brevard due to Florida Today's presence in the market. But from a purely geographic standpoint, Brevard is as much Orlando area as is Volusia (which the Sentinel still covers) in my opinion.

That makes sense.  When I didn't see Ocala teams listed, I figured it might be a "distribution issue."   

10 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I think it's the Gainesville sun north Central area 

Madison County is big bend so i understand why they weren't included but i thought Ocala would be included since they sometimes cover Ocala teams 

10 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If that poll included Ocala, Vanguard might have been #1 and not Columbia.  I'm sure that would not have gone over well with certain parties.:)

I'll have to ask prep zone if they plan to do a preseason poll since ik they will include vanguard in their area rankings 

13 minutes ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

This poll is a joke with union and Lafayette in the top 10 

They are both decent but Fort White should be in Lafayette spot

Also Gainesville at 3 seems too high considering the huge question marks there atm

I probably would switch Gainesville and Eastside 

On Thursday, August 16th, I guess we're going to see how good Buchholz really is. My Celtics will travel up to Citizen field for a KO Classic. It seems that we do a KO Classic with the Bobcats quite a bit and the scores are always very close. Although I'll be out of town and won't make it to the game, I'm anxious to see how Trinity Catholic, under new HC Andrew Thomas, does. The last 3 seasons the Celtics have been somewhat of a disappointment and nowhere near the team they used to be when they were playing Pahokee and University in championship games. :unsure:

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They are both decent but Fort White should be in Lafayette spot

Also Gainesville at 3 seems too high considering the huge question marks there atm

I probably would switch Gainesville and Eastside 

I notice in the comments you claim that Columbia is the "king of north central FL." 

XNGSRKgQ_bigger.jpg
More

Can't touch top spot without going through the kings of North Central

Since North Central FL includes Madison and Marion Counties, would it be more accurate to call Columbia "Kings of Central Florida excluding counties beginning with the letter M.":rolleyes:

FYI Madison County is a member of the North Central FL Regional Planning Council.

North Central Florida

Counties

Alachua, Bradford, Columbia, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Lafayette, Madison, Marion, Putnam, Suwannee and Union

Major cities

Gainesville
Ocala
Palatka
Lake City

Image result for bear beehive meme

42 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I notice in the comments you claim that Columbia is the "king of north central FL." 

XNGSRKgQ_bigger.jpg
More

Can't touch top spot without going through the kings of North Central

Since North Central FL includes Madison and Marion Counties, would it be more accurate to call Columbia "Kings of Central Florida excluding counties beginning with the letter M.":rolleyes:

FYI Madison County is a member of the North Central FL Regional Planning Council.

North Central Florida

Counties

Alachua, Bradford, Columbia, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Lafayette, Madison, Marion, Putnam, Suwannee and Union

Major cities

Gainesville
Ocala
Palatka
Lake City

Image result for bear beehive meme

Just watch what happens when we play Madison County this year

14 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Bingo, bingo, winner, winner. Gatehouse Media owns the newspaper dailies in Sarasota, Bradenton, Lakeland, Daytona Beach, Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Fort Walton Beach, etc. They share printing and editorial content among the sister newspapers; but give each their own "hometown feel." Both the Ocala Star Banner and the Gainesville Sun are printed in the same plant, flipping print operations back and forth between the two cities. When the bean counters (Darter) take a knife to the Sports Department of both daily's, to increase profits, the Ranking's area will expand.

9 hours ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

This poll is a joke with union and Lafayette in the top 10 

Bingo. Fort White would run the clock on both.

Eastside will have to prove to me that they are one of the area’s best, even if they do have an sec commit at QB. Bradford and FW deserve more love. FW is always competitive and has more playmakers this year. Even though Bradford got mopped by Raines, they still made it to the final 4 in 4A. Both of these teams deserve more. 

13 minutes ago, MinuteMan said:

Bingo. Fort White would run the clock on both.

Eastside will have to prove to me that they are one of the area’s best, even if they do have an sec commit at QB. Bradford and FW deserve more love. FW is always competitive and has more playmakers this year. Even though Bradford got mopped by Raines, they still made it to the final 4 in 4A. Both of these teams deserve more. 

Eastside does have more than some qb

But everything I've seen this off-season makes me think Gainesville is only top 3 as a "legacy" pick

The big question i have though is what does Bradford have coming back, i see a lot of people saying they should be at top spot and I feel they must have more than just "making final 4" to warrant that

47 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Eastside does have more than some qb

But everything I've seen this off-season makes me think Gainesville is only top 3 as a "legacy" pick

The big question i have though is what does Bradford have coming back, i see a lot of people saying they should be at top spot and I feel they must have more than just "making final 4" to warrant that

Eastside should be better than their 5-4 record last year which included 1 score games with several average to below average teams. They do have potential. 

I don’t feel as if Bradford should be the top school on the list. Probably around 3ish behind Buchholz and Columbia until they prove otherwise. They lost a handful of impactful of seniors, but they will improve athletically across the board. Their sophomore QB can score any play via air or legs. 

12 hours ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

Lost there RB #20  to knee injury at the FCA camp waiting to here if its for the season or part of it. Huge blow to FW to loose him to camp that ment nothing.

The Indians will have a veteran QB protected by a solid offensive line up front.   Defensively they return a good group of guys. They will be more athletic on the perimeter than they were a year ago. 

#20 is a solid football player, hopefully he doesn’t miss his entire senior year.