Maxpreps top 25 in Florida is out

SPCjessica2004

Maxpreps has released their "official" preseason top 25 in Florida for all classes this morning. It still lists Oxbridge Academy as #11 in the state. As we know Oxbridge will not be fielding a team in 2018. Essentially, everybody below Oxbridge will move up 1 spot- so I've included Rockledge who was ranked #26 since they will be the new #25.

1 IMG Academy
2 St. Thomas Aquinas
3 Cardinal Gibbons
4 Wekiva
5 Chaminade-Madonna
6 Deerfield Beach
7 Northwestern
8 Venice
9 American Heritage (Plantation)
10 Miami Central
11 Oxbridge Academy** (Will not be fielding a team in 2018)
12 Immokalee
13 Braden River (Bradenton)
14 Carol City
15 Armwood
16 Columbus (Miami)
17 Trinity Christian Academy
18 Bartram Trail
19 Plant
20 Vero Beach
21 Dr. Phillips
22 Cocoa
23 South Dade
24 Apopka
25 Clearwater Central Catholic
26 Rockledge

To me- this is a pretty solid list for a preseason top 25 even if it's mostly pulling information from 2017 to populate these results. I haven't listed the teams by class, but it looks like there is a healthy spread except for 1A and 2A. All other classifications are accounted for.   As always, this is just message board fodder/rankings to discuss.   They've also posted their classification rankings.

Idk how they justify Bartram Trail being ranked in a computer poll

They lost the 2 players who carried that team last year and they lost around 25-30 players

I've already seen them up close, they have no business being ranked ahead of some of the teams they are ahead of 

Plus Deerfield Beach at 6 seems way too high, them over Miami big 3 and AHP seems like a stretch for a team that usually losses against teams of similar quality and ik people will defend Deerfield and say they loaded this year but when are they not loaded in talent 

And wekiva at 4 is a stretch, yeah they talented and have potential to finish close to there if they live up to the hype but this early i wouldn't rank them that high 

Apopka at 24 seems low

Plant at 19 seems a little high but considering the other mistakes this one isn't a big deal 

Braden River seems a little too high 

Carol City and Central are too low

Dr Phillips is clearly too low

10 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I would have given them the benefit of the doubt before yesterday and wrote it off to a preseason poll, but after the events of yesterday they are probably now a touch to high.   I also agree with Apopka being a touch to low. 

8 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Idk how they justify Bartram Trail being ranked in a computer poll

They lost the 2 players who carried that team last year and they lost around 25-30 players

I've already seen them up close, they have no business being ranked ahead of some of the teams they are ahead of 

Plus Deerfield Beach at 6 seems way too high, them over Miami big 3 and AHP seems like a stretch for a team that usually losses against teams of similar quality and ik people will defend Deerfield and say they loaded this year but when are they not loaded in talent 

And wekiva at 4 is a stretch, yeah they talented and have potential to finish close to there if they live up to the hype but this early i wouldn't rank them that high 

Apopka at 24 seems low

Plant at 19 seems a little high but considering the other mistakes this one isn't a big deal 

Carol City and Central are too low

Dr Phillips is clearly too low

Pretty spot on IMO.  I'll hold off on Plant being too high though, they always surprise me for the better. (save for OOS and preseason lol)  

4 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Ehh not a big fan of these rankings.   Would anyone take a team like Wekiva over Miami Central or Carol City?   I think Wekiva is going to be a very good team, but...slow down lol.  

Also Deerfield Beach...lets see it first.  Hyping them up based off talent has become a yearly disappointment.   

That's the MO of these computer polls 

It evaluate some factors too heavily while ignoring other important factors 

Teams like STA, IMG,  ect will always be preseason top 25 nationally just because of the amount of star rated players on the roster regardless of record prior year warranting it or not

20 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Bartram Trail losing like 30 players including both qbs 

Ranked

Lakeland who one of most talented 7a teams this year 

Not ranked

Good logic maxpreps, bravo on research 

Thing is Maxprep rates teams very similar to Calpreps. I have come to believe it is agenda driven to give certain states/teams a better shot at being ranked higher at seasons end, thus giving certain players a better shot at D1 scholarships. Kind of like a pay to play deal. Go to all the high profile camps, do okay, get recognized by a few coaches and you are golden. 

Lets say that a California team (DLS for instance) plays a bunch of mediocre teams with a ranking and wins all the games. Then DLS moves up each week and MaxPreps can support a claim that DLS  is a national power.  Only problem is that DLS looks good on paper but can't win OOS games against decent teams. And that is why the computer rankings are not to be the golden ticket.

Put the computer rankings where they belong. Below/under the coaches, researchers poll. At the end of the season do a compilation poll if you like.

My big 3 that are missing are Palm Beach Dwyer, Palm Beach Central and Lakeland.  Now, I'm willing to accept that Dwyer and PBC are transfer loaded and it may take time to reflect that in a computer poll, but there's no excuse for leaving off Lakeland.  It's also a pre-season poll and most of the metric right now is probably based off the last few seasons results and the expectation that coaches have uploaded proper rosters, many have not.

12 minutes ago, Brendan Johnson said:

Braden River and Oxbridge Academy shouldn’t be in it.

These look to be identical with what calpreps had out a few months ago 

Oxbridge wasn't removed which shows this list hadn't been edited since likely in June meaning no transfers been added which why rankings look so off

I'm still surprised they would rank bartram trail considering how much they lose from last year 

17 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

These look to be identical with what calpreps had out a few months ago 

Oxbridge wasn't removed which shows this list hadn't been edited since likely in June meaning no transfers been added which why rankings look so off

I'm still surprised they would rank bartram trail considering how much they lose from last year 

Yeah teams that should be in it are ones who made it real far in the playoffs. And if something changed, Replace with another good team. The Top 25 should be based off the record and playoffs from last season along with how the team is. This isn’t NCAA where preseason is based off last season and so much with the conference.