FL vs Georgia 50 Game Results from 2004-2017

OldSchoolLion

Below are the results from 50 games played between 2004 and 2017 in which better teams from Florida and Georgia played each other.  This is not a list of all FL vs GA games from this time frame.  I did not include games that involved very weak teams from either state.  I checked the schedules of 28 of the best Georgia teams to compile these results.

The record of each team that season is listed in parentheses after each team name.  Teams that were nationally ranked that season have an asterisk before the team name.  Florida teams are bolded.

Overall, Florida teams won 17 games, lost 32 games, and tied 1 game versus Georgia teams.

22 of those games involved northern Florida vs southern Georgia teams.  Northern Florida teams won 6, lost 15, and tied 1 of those games versus southern Georgia teams. 

Florida teams won 8 games and lost 12 games versus Atlanta-area teams.

Georgia teams are 2-6 versus nationally ranked teams from Florida.  Florida teams are 2-4 versus nationally ranked teams from Georgia.

Buford(11-2) beat Melbourne CC(8-4) 24-17

*Grayson(10-2) beat Deerfield Beach(10-3) 39-14

Cartersville(11-1) beat Bartram Trail(11-4) 52-45

*American Heritage Plantation(14-0) beat Colquitt County(8-5) 17-14

*IMG(11-0) beat *Grayson(14-1) 26-7

Marist(7-4) beat Belen Jesuit(7-4) 27-0

Venice(12-1) beat Camden County(2-7) 46-17

*Colquitt County(15-0) beat Plant(9-3) 42-8

American Heritage Plantation(9-2) beat Stephenson(10-2) 36-8

Tucker(8-4) beat Godby(3-6) 51-38

Coconut Creek(6-4) beat Marist(10-3) 41-21

Brooks County(10-3) beat Madison County(9-4) 27-0

Camden County(10-2) beat Lincoln(6-7) 48-13

Lowndes(6-4) beat Plant(11-2) 20-14

*Miami Central(14-1) beat Stephenson(8-4) 21-20

*Booker T Washington(14-0) beat Tucker(9-3) 19-7

Marist(11-2) beat Godby(12-3) 17-14

*Buford(15-0) beat *Trinity Christian(12-2) 17-0

Madison County(11-4) beat Brooks County(11-4) 29-22

Camden County(5-5) beat Lincoln(8-3) 49-27

*Booker T Washington(14-0) beat *Norcross(13-2) 55-0

Lincoln(7-5) beat S Gwinnett(5-6) 34-21

Camden County(10-2) beat Baker County(8-3) 38-8

Grayson(12-2) beat *Miami Central(12-2) 35-3

Camden County(11-2) beat Vanguard(7-5) 53-7

*Grayson(15-0) beat Edgewater(7-4) 49-21

Colquitt County(11-3) beat Madison County(12-2) 20-19

Lowndes(8-4) beat Leon(5-5) 39-22

Valdosta(7-3) beat Lincoln(9-2) 10-7

Buford(14-1) beat Yulee(8-4) 49-7     Note:Derrick Henry was at Yulee then.

N Gwinnett(11-2) beat St Augustine(10-2) 35-17

Brooks County(13-1) beat Columbia(8-4) 12-0

Brooks County(13-1) beat South Miami(9-3) 54-11

Camden County(10-2) beat *Miami Central(14-1) 45-42

*St Thomas Aquinas(15-0) beat Camden County(10-2) 42-28

Valdosta(11-2) beat Lincoln(10-5) 35-31

Lowndes(10-3) beat Leon(5-5) 53-7

Columbia(8-4) beat Brooks County(7-6) 35-13

Columbia(8-3-1) tied Charlton County(11-1-1) 48-48

Northside(10-2) beat Booker T Washington(10-4) 31-7

Mainland(11-1) beat Central Gwinnett(3-7) 34-14

*Camden County(15-0) beat Columbia(4-6) 31-0

Valdosta(9-3) beat Lincoln(10-2) 21-17

Coffee County(11-3) beat Madison County(13-1) 20-19

Lincoln(9-4) beat Valdosta(1-9) 24-21

Coffee County(10-3) beat Madison County(10-3) 17-7

Lincoln(9-2) beat Valdosta(7-5) 20-19

Madison County(11-1) beat Valdosta(7-5) 29-28

Valdosta(8-5) beat Lincoln(7-4) 33-14

Madison County(12-1) beat Valdosta(8-5) 15-7

5 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Looks like a ton of garbage FL teams with a few good ones sprinkled in. 

South Miami never played Charlton County. That is an error 

If the Georgia teams isn't always the overwhelming favorite, then these games usually don't take place. 

Where does it state above that South Miami played Charlton County?  Under year 2011, it states South Miami lost to Brooks County.  And under year 2009, it states Columbia tied Charlton County.  

Here is the real results. It is a consensus that Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties are the top dogs for football in Florida. It is the best part of the state bar none. 

North Florida is the worst part. The part that borders Georgia. So Georgia racks up a TON of wins against Tallahassee and I-10 garbage. 

Now checking my archives, i have the 3 top counties going 47-27 all time against Georgia. 

And that's with beating ISB 3 times 

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

If the Georgia teams isn't always the overwhelming favorite, then these games usually don't take place

Of the 50 games listed above, I would say the Georgia team was a strong favorite in 12 of the games...no more.   

All of the games below involved teams from Dade/Broward/Palm Beach.  Except for the Grayson game with Deerfield Beach, the south FL teams would have been favorites.  

Stephenson and Tucker are solid programs, but not Top 10 Georgia teams.  That was actually pretty gutsy of them to schedule the games they did.  They were big underdogs.

*nationally ranked

*Grayson(10-2) beat Deerfield Beach(10-3) 39-14

*American Heritage Plantation(14-0) beat Colquitt County(8-5) 17-14

American Heritage Plantation(9-2) beat Stephenson(10-2) 36-8

*Miami Central(14-1) beat Stephenson(8-4) 21-20

*Booker T Washington(14-0) beat Tucker(9-3) 19-7

*Booker T Washington(14-0) beat *Norcross(13-2) 55-0

Grayson(12-2) beat *Miami Central(12-2) 35-3

Camden County(10-2) beat *Miami Central(14-1) 45-42

*St Thomas Aquinas(15-0) beat Camden County(10-2) 42-28

Northside(10-2) beat Booker T Washington(10-4) 31-7

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

If the Georgia teams isn't always the overwhelming favorite, then these games usually don't take place. 

The following teams have not played in at least one state final over the past 25 years: IMG, Melbourne CC, Yulee, and Coconut Creek.  I believe all of the other Florida teams listed above have.  I don't call a team good enough to make a state final "garbage."  ....nor do I call a team with one of the greatest hs rb's of all time "garbage."  

The intent of the exercise was to include "good" teams...not just great ones.... so that we could have a substantial data set.  One could easily say that some of the Georgia teams listed above were not amongst their state's best either.  Note that some of the Georgia teams even had losing records, but I still considered them reasonably good programs from a historical perspective.

The intent was not to demonstrate  which state is better.  Even though Georgia has won more games, it does not mean Georgia football is better than FL football.  The data does clearly demonstrate that both states are competitive when their teams compete.  The bottom line is that there have been relatively few games played over the past 15 years between the best of Georgia and the best of Florida. 

And concerning those "garbage" teams from I-10...they are the ones who helped bring prominence to Florida when national polls started getting serious attention back in the 1980's.  Those "garbage" teams were clearly ahead of south and central Florida teams in the playoffs back then.  It is now south Florida's time in the sun, but that is no reason to disrespect the part of the state that arguably produced more coaching legends that any other.   As you can probably tell, I don't like the word "garbage," especially when referring to teams...made up of kids and coaches who work their butts off.  

Ga is a legit football state, but you are not factoring in how homered these games are reffed.   Watch the Stephenson vs Central game and try not to throw up.   Most of the games are in GA and are VERY VERY poorly officiated in favor of GA.    All that being said though, I personally believe the average GA big school team is better than the avg Fl big school team.   It just seems like every public school has a legit football program there.   

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Ga is a legit football state, but you are not factoring in how homered these games are reffed.   Watch the Stephenson vs Central game and try not to throw up.   Most of the games are in GA and are VERY VERY poorly officiated in favor of GA.    All that being said though, I personally believe the average GA big school team is better than the avg Fl big school team.   It just seems like every public school has a legit football program there.   

Hey 954gator, I am sure there was some home cooking. :)

On the list above, there were 11 close games won by Georgia teams.  Give those wins to Florida and take them away from Georgia and I still come to the same conclusion.  The only thing one can definitively say is that the states are competitive versus each other. 

It is not my interest to prove who is better than who.  It's a ridiculous argument.  FL vs GA is not even an apples-to-apples comparison.  Florida' population dwarfs that of GA.  Florida has 4 major metro areas.  Georgia has 1.  Outside Atlanta, the Georgia schools have a limited pool of talent from which to draw.

Compared to GA, Florida should have many more "great teams."  I am amazed GA does as well as it does.  The data above makes it evident Georgia teams do not avoid tough FL games.  For instance, Stephenson, who is no national power, played Miami Central and American Heritage Plantation in 2014 and 2015.  Not many Florida teams pulled that off.     

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

On the list above, there were 11 close games won by Georgia teams.  Give those wins to Florida and take them away from Georgia and I still come to the same conclusion.  The only thing one can definitively say is that the states are competitive versus each other. 

It is not my interest to prove who is better than who.  It's a ridiculous argument.  FL vs GA is not even an apples-to-apples comparison.  Florida' population dwarfs that of GA.  Florida has 4 major metro areas.  Georgia has 1.  Outside Atlanta, the Georgia schools have a limited pool of talent from which to draw.

Florida should have many more "great teams."  I am amazed GA does as well as it does.  The data above makes it evident Georgia teams do not avoid tough FL games.  For instance, Stephenson, who is no national power, played Miami Central and American Heritage Plantation in 2014 and 2015.  Not many Florida teams pulled that off.     

FL had many more "Great" teams when they didn't have a coach revolving door as often as now

5 hours ago, gatormike20 said:

In 2015 Hallandale beat Cedar Grove (Ellenwood). I don't remember the score but it was at the same stadium and day that Creek beat Marist, AHP beat Stephenson And Tucker beat Godby

Thanks for sharing that.  Looks like Hallandale won that game 34-26.  Cedar Grove(AAA in GA) has not historically been a strong team, so did not search their records. 

Hallandale was very strong that year(ranked top 20 FL per Mexpreps), playing Aquinas tight and beating AHP.  Hallandale has 1350 students and Cedar Grove 1000, so the schools are similar in size.  Cedar Grove (#53 in GA) was 11-2-1 that year.

It's yet another example of two "good" teams(neither amongst the elite from their respective metro areas then) from each state playing each other and being competitive.   

If they played this past season, Hallandale likely would have gotten beaten.  They are declining, while Cedar Grove is becoming a powerhouse.   Jadon Haselwood, ranked #1WR in the country, plays for them.  

On 8/9/2018 at 9:19 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Compared to GA, Florida should have many more "great teams."  I am amazed GA does as well as it does.  The data above makes it evident Georgia teams do not avoid tough FL games.  For instance, Stephenson, who is no national power, played Miami Central and American Heritage Plantation in 2014 and 2015.  Not many Florida teams pulled that off.     

Yes but isn't it easier to have good teams when there are only one or two big schools per county.   Sometimes things get watered down.   Have to take that into account also.   I agree though Ga plays great FB.  

50 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yes but isn't it easier to have good teams when there are only one or two big schools per county.   Sometimes things get watered down.   Have to take that into account also.   I agree though Ga plays great FB.  

It's a good question and related to what I asked in the post below.  Would be great to hear opinions of people on this.  For whatever reason, the rural schools are either on the decline and/or not getting recognized in the polls.  

On a positive note, if there is only 1 or 2 schools in a rural county, like Madison County, they have a corner on the talent market.  But there may only be a few thousand kids within reasonable commuting distance who they can pull from...whereas a school in the 954, like Deerfield, potentially has a huge pool from which to draw.  Even if they only get a percentage of the "free agents," they are likely way ahead of the game. 

The metro schools appear to be leveraging transfers in a much bigger way that the rural schools.  As you say, I think things are getting diluted in the more populous counties, ie there are less "good/very good" teams because talent is more concentrated at fewer schools.  The rich keep getting richer.  

On 8/11/2018 at 1:21 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

It's a good question and related to what I asked in the post below.  Would be great to hear opinions of people on this.  For whatever reason, the rural schools are either on the decline and/or not getting recognized in the polls.  

On a positive note, if there is only 1 or 2 schools in a rural county, like Madison County, they have a corner on the talent market.  But there may only be a few thousand kids within reasonable commuting distance who they can pull from...whereas a school in the 954, like Deerfield, potentially has a huge pool from which to draw.  Even if they only get a percentage of the "free agents," they are likely way ahead of the game. 

The metro schools appear to be leveraging transfers in a much bigger way that the rural schools.  As you say, I think things are getting diluted in the more populous counties, ie there are less "good/very good" teams because talent is more concentrated at fewer schools.  The rich keep getting richer.  

Yes if you go back to the 90s and even early 2000s Fl was much more like Ga is now IMO, but the rich have gotten richer and the poor have gotten poorer.   GA looks to be going in that direction as we speak also.   Look at how teams like Grayson and some others are starting to accumulate.   Before Colquitt was on that streak I don't remember any teams in Ga's big class ever repeating at state (at least somewhat recently), AND the favorite almost never won state it seemed.   Who knows in 3-4 years the landscape in Ga might be different, but the positive for them is they have the money/support.  

2 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yes if you go back to 90s Fl was much more like Ga is now IMO, but the rich have gotten richer and the poor have gotten poorer.   Even in GA it looks to be going in that direction as we speak.   Look at how teams like Grayson and some others are starting to accumulate.   Before Colquitt won that streak I don't think any teams in Ga's big class had ever repeated (recently), AND the favorite almost never won state it seemed.   Who knows in 3-4 years what the landscape in Ga looks like, but the positive for them is they have the money/support.  

Poor coaching and bad distributed talent in North Florida has hurt the state

Hopefully North Florida starts making a comeback because its long overdue 

13 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yes if you go back to the 90s and even early 2000s Fl was much more like Ga is now IMO, but the rich have gotten richer and the poor have gotten poorer.   GA looks to be going in that direction as we speak also.   Look at how teams like Grayson and some others are starting to accumulate.   Before Colquitt was on that streak I don't remember any teams in Ga's big class ever repeating at state (at least somewhat recently), AND the favorite almost never won state it seemed.   Who knows in 3-4 years the landscape in Ga might be different, but the positive for them is they have the money/support.  

Southern and central Georgia, especially the Valdosta and Warner Robins areas, really ruled until the mid-90's.  Then Parview and Brookwood started making noise in Atlanta.  Parkview won 3 titles in a row around 2000, which you just didn't see happening prior in years past.  

The suburbs north and east of the city exploded and about 10 years ago a lot of the teams we hear about in Georgia today, ie Grayson, started coming on the scene.  South Florida always had great football.  Atlanta didn't, but what has happened there in the past 10 years is extraordinary.  They don't have to worry about losing much talent to private schools.  And unlike south FL, which is locked in by the Everglades, Atlanta can just keep growing since there is lots of open land to the north and east.  

In a way, the scenario is much like the shift of power in the 90's from north FL southward, except in GA it has been from south to north.     

How much they pay coaches in GA vs how much they pay coaches in FL is precisely the difference. The only coaches being paid their relative worth in this state are at private schools whereas GA coaches are making dang good money to coach ball (sometimes with other responsibilities, sometimes not). 

55 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

How much they pay coaches in GA vs how much they pay coaches in FL is precisely the difference. The only coaches being paid their relative worth in this state are at private schools whereas GA coaches are making dang good money to coach ball (sometimes with other responsibilities, sometimes not). 

Definitely another big factor.   Who needs privates if the publics are supporting the sport as much if not more than the privates.